South Park just isn't good anymore.

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

scottync

Re: South Park just isn't good anymore.

Postby scottync » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:15 pm

ShaneHaughey wrote:'Kay, lets not turn this into a flamewar.

Brendle- Season 9 wasn't that good, admittedly (I initially remembered it being good but my memory obviously failed), but it's nowhere NEAR being the worst season. The worst season so far has been Season 14. The second worst...13. The third worst...12. Then the opening season. First season sucked (every show's first season isn't that good...they're finding their voice).

- Disagree a bit. I liked Season 1- wasn't great at all, but it was funny for what it was. And while 13 and 14 haven't been great, they didn't have bad clunkers like 9 did. That season was clunkorama.

I've seen a couple of posts ripping on Season 9, which I find a little strange. Clearly my tastes don't match up with everyone else's, but I thought 9 was a pretty strong season. I'd agree that The Losing Edge and Erection Day were clunkers. I'd also agree that Mr. Garrison's Fancy New Vagina and Wing were both marginal. But the rest of the crop was pretty strong and rewatchable.

It kind of felt like Season 10 was when they started spending a lot more time just spoofing other TV shows and movies (that season included spoofing Oprah, The Dog Whisperer, Dog The Bounty Hunter, My Super Sweet Sixteen, etc.). Granted Season 10 still contained some excellent stuff, like Cartoon Wars and Make Love, Not Warcraft, (and despite the spoof, I enjoyed Miss Teacher Bangs A Boy), but looking back that kind of feels like the season where the show started to lose its way a little bit.
CorruptedSunDial

Postby CorruptedSunDial » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:27 pm

oh god i so fu**in agree w/ u! evryone's voice has changed i mean dont get me wrong, i love southpark but not as much as i used to. the most changed voices r cartman, wendy, stan, kyle, and some of the parents. it really gets annoying when i watch an old episode then i watch a new episode because i can see such a difference in it. thank u so much 4 posting this!!!!
ShaneHaughey

Postby ShaneHaughey » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:49 pm

scottync wrote:
ShaneHaughey wrote:'Kay, lets not turn this into a flamewar.

Brendle- Season 9 wasn't that good, admittedly (I initially remembered it being good but my memory obviously failed), but it's nowhere NEAR being the worst season. The worst season so far has been Season 14. The second worst...13. The third worst...12. Then the opening season. First season sucked (every show's first season isn't that good...they're finding their voice).

- Disagree a bit. I liked Season 1- wasn't great at all, but it was funny for what it was. And while 13 and 14 haven't been great, they didn't have bad clunkers like 9 did. That season was clunkorama.

I've seen a couple of posts ripping on Season 9, which I find a little strange. Clearly my tastes don't match up with everyone else's, but I thought 9 was a pretty strong season. I'd agree that The Losing Edge and Erection Day were clunkers. I'd also agree that Mr. Garrison's Fancy New Vagina and Wing were both marginal. But the rest of the crop was pretty strong and rewatchable.

It kind of felt like Season 10 was when they started spending a lot more time just spoofing other TV shows and movies (that season included spoofing Oprah, The Dog Whisperer, Dog The Bounty Hunter, My Super Sweet Sixteen, etc.). Granted Season 10 still contained some excellent stuff, like Cartoon Wars and Make Love, Not Warcraft, (and despite the spoof, I enjoyed Miss Teacher Bangs A Boy), but looking back that kind of feels like the season where the show started to lose its way a little bit.

Let us share ratings:

#901- Mr. Garrison's Fancy New Vagina: 1/10
#902- Die, Hippie, Die: 8/10
#903- Wing: 7/10
#904- Best Friends Forever: 8/10
#905- The Losing Edge: 8/10
#906- The Death of Eric Cartman: 8/10
#907- Erection Day: 1/10
#908- Two Days Before the Day After Tomorrow: 9/10
#909- Marjorine: 8/10
#910- Follow that Egg!: 9/10
#911- Ginger Kids: 3/10
#912- Trapped in the Closet: 7/10
#913- Free Willzyx: 6/10
#914- Bloody Mary: 7.5/10

Before we go on, anything lower than an 8 is forgettable/marginal at best in my book when grading South Park.
That's how it's down here on the farm!
Pip Tweek

Postby Pip Tweek » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:49 pm

Season 9? Die Hippie Die and The Losing Edge were just as good as any classic ep, but a lot of the eps were moderately amusing and a few were terrible.
Jake, M'kay?

Postby Jake, M'kay? » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:31 pm

Season 9 was around average; A few great, a majority OK, and a few terrible. While we're at it 10 is on the same level. IMO, Season 13 is the worst. Most of the episodes just seemed kind of half-assed. Season 14 is better, but not by much.
"If a tree falls in the forest and there's no one there to hear it, my illegal logging business succeeds ."

"I have only two modes, at war with something, or having sex with it. There is no middle ground"
suckmyballsSPwriters

Current Writing Staff Sucks DONKEY BAll$

Postby suckmyballsSPwriters » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:22 pm

Can't you guys come up with any idea's for yourself ? Its 10 times easier to critisise someone in lieu ot expanding your own creativity and being original. I miss the creativity and character development of the first 9 seasons or so. Now this show isn't even worth watching anymore. SP lovers need to write these schmuck for writers as much as possible and get them to change their hainus ways. What happened to your creativity?
aside from medicinal fried chicken season 14 is one epic fail.
end/
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:45 am

You know, there are things I automatically permaban for, and usernames are one of those things. suckmyballsSPwriters is hereby permabanned for making such a user name.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
fixalicious1

Postby fixalicious1 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:53 pm

yit
Day is never finished, Master got me working, Someday master set me free!
NinjaSkittles

Postby NinjaSkittles » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:44 am

IMO, I think south park is the best show there is and ever will be. I think Matt and Trey are doing a fantastic job at their show and should keep it up. They should do as many seasons as they want and just have fun.
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:11 pm

I think I just figured it out.
The drop in quality that started with season 9 correlates rather nicely with me joining the SPS forum.

I started posting in January 2005, right before the start of season 9. Therefore, I have to conclude that it's my fault South Park sucks now. Everything was going swimmingly until I came along, and then, tthhppptt.

We all know what must be done. Once my severed head is impaled atop Mt. Evans*, South Park will return to the glory of seasons 4-8. I'd do it myself, but of course that's not how this works. Who is brave enough to accept the challenge?

(* You remember Mt. Evans, right? From Volcano? Episode 102? It's the 14er that the Paramount logo morphs into at the start of the movie? Ah, damn you kids! I don't care if you were a fetus back then...)

You read it! You can't unread it!
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:17 pm

Can I permaban you now? :cartmanlaugh:

Anyway, South Park is misfiring this time around. We've had two episodes of TV and sports parodies we're getting tired of seeing, a movie parody that wasn't really a movie parody (just an imitation of one), and Turks and Jersey residents getting pissed off. What will this week bring?
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
Brendle

Postby Brendle » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:50 pm

"The glory of seasons 4-8"?

4-7 are great, but I thought season 8 was comparatively poor. It only had "AWESOM-O" and "Douche and Turd" to boast.

They're excused, though, for being burnt out from Team America.
My name is Brendle, and I think Trey Parker is a genius.
NinjaSkittles

Postby NinjaSkittles » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:59 pm

Well, in my opinion, I think every season has been great but there have been a few disappointing episodes in each season. It seems like I'm the only one, but I love this season. The only episodes I'm not too fond of this season are Crippled Summer and Medicinal Fried Chicken. But I've enjoyed the rest.
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:10 pm

Brendle wrote:"The glory of seasons 4-8"?

4-7 are great, but I thought season 8 was comparatively poor. It only had "AWESOM-O" and "Douche and Turd" to boast.

They're excused, though, for being burnt out from Team America.

Good Times with Weapons?
Goobacks?
The Jeffersons?
Steroid was also very satisfying, even if they changed Jimmy's last name.

My personal 'best-of' range runs from the Meteor Shower Trilogy thru season 8.1.

You read it! You can't unread it!
UST college kid

Postby UST college kid » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:15 pm

I have to side with Brendle for a lot of this. I do agree that the writing, just in this last season, has failed to be as funny or as topical as it has been in the last few.

I have been a devoted fan for the last 13 1/2 seasons but this new half of season 14 has not been nearly as funny to me.

I do, however, disagree that Cartman is a shell or a poor character. I think he is one of the most well developed, albeit static, characters on the show.

Finally, southparkpresident and nwt both need to learn to be respectful of others opinions and settle down. Brendle didn't swear at you or insult your ideas on the show so allow him the same courtesy! Matt and Trey are all about free speech and expressing opinions... can't believe when a fan does that all the others call him small minded!

Return to “General South Park Discussion”