South Park just isn't good anymore.

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

ShaneHaughey

Re: South Park just isn't good anymore.

Postby ShaneHaughey » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:19 pm

JVM wrote:I think people are a bit too extreme sometimes.

At each point in the series, suddenly the time of 'change' shifts. When I joined the fandom during Season Ten, it seemed most people felt Season Five was when things went wrong.

During Season Twelve, Season Six was the big offender.

Season Fourteen? Suddenly Season Nine is when things went downhill.

You can't just say "THIS season is when EVERYTHING went wrong."

We've got gems and sh*t in every season of the show. I positively hated "Margaritaville" in Season 13, yet I loved "The Ring." I thought "With Apologies to Jesse Jackson" was too dry for my tastes, but "The List" made me orgasm. "Cartman's Mom is a Dirty Slut" outshines "Mecha-Streisand" for me, and I'm a huge Godzilla fan.

Is South Park as good as it once was? No, it's not. But I wish people would quit whining "X season is the worst." or "New episodes suck but old ones are good." Quit looking at it on a seasonal basis and look at the episodes as individual episodes. Season Fourteen isn't better than Season One, but "Cartman Gets An Anal Probe" is superior to "The Tale of Scrotie McBoogerballs". You understand me?

And for f*ck's sake, respect each other's opinions and quit flacking about things as if they're facts. I love "200" and "201" and think they're the best episodes of South Park since, with one exception, the sixth season. But I'm not going to tell anyone who says they're boring to shut the f*ck up. I may question it, but I won't be an ass about it.

Having used this account since S8 and being a guest here starting S7 on a regular basis and before that on a semi-regular basis, you are both correct and incorrect.

There have been and always will be those who think a show just recently stopped being of a certain quality. However, in the earlier days, there were few of them and the mood post episode here was almost always universally joyous. Even bad episodes were treated as bumps in the road, because that is what they were.

S9 is where that changed. Starting then, we grew far more critical. That is when people started looking into the past to find flaws, but it is always where a healthy portion of fans have pointed to from square one.
That's how it's down here on the farm!
Taaammaaa!

Re: South Park just isn't good anymore.

Postby Taaammaaa! » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:18 pm

I don't know... I mean there are many similar shows still going on, from Family guy to Simpsons, and it's normal that after a while they had lost a lil bit their grip... but they did it gradually! This last season was a total pitfall! Other shows are actually aging better than SP ( i mean the classics, not those sh*tty spin off from Famili Guy ) and they have an overall better standard of jokes and situations... I don't know, last SP jokes remind me randomly stupid Disaster Movie, Epic Movie, and the worst last 2 Scary Movies.

First South Park series at least tried to contain some kind of social criticism, autonomous and controversial most of the time... I mean it's easy to rip off reality shows... everyone knows that they sucks! But it's harder to defend the individual right to smoke, or ripping off the fanatism that surrounds global warming or rainforests...

I was absolutly in disagree with their point of views, but they at least made a point, an overall conservative ( in my view ) but smart and audacious critics to everything that is politically correct... even recurring to violent, trashy and trivial joke, and that's why that was tremendously effective!

They tried to do something similar during this last season with that Scrootie McBoogerballs and medicinal fried chicken ( a rip off people who consider something genial just beacuse it's extremely provoking and the contraddiction between closing KFC's and opening hemp shops ). But I didn't thought that was so effective... maybe because the entire plot was poor and the overall jokes was pretty bad...

I mean trashy and gory jokes must be a media, to bring something to the limits and make people laugh but think also. South park wasn't funny just because those kids did crazy and gory sh*ts, but because all of that sh*ts has somekind of an overall sense... that wasn't for free as it is right now, I mean.

All of that... or you can simply just say that south park isn't that funny anymore :)

Return to “General South Park Discussion”