Why renew? Matt and Trey are obviously not interested nEmore

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

chef423

Why renew? Matt and Trey are obviously not interested nEmore

Postby chef423 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:58 am

Compare the first...hmm...6-7 seasons humor with the past 5-6 years. You can tell they are exhanusted and ready to move on. This season has been a complete failure. I am a die-hard SP fan and have been since the very first episode, but I havent even let out any kind of laugh from this season, at all.

So why do they continue to put out crap? :?: Doing a show just to b*tch about what you dont like in PopCulture or whats going on in the news isnt very moving or creative.

Dear Matt and Trey: If your serioust about SP still...please go back watch your first 4 seasons. You made them, but go back, sit down and just laugh....because I KNOW you havent laughed lately.

chef
Brendle

Re: Why renew? Matt and Trey are obviously not interested nE

Postby Brendle » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:21 pm

No. South Park wasn't at its peak in the "first four seasons." It cerainly didn't stop being good after 7 seasons either.

The first season just wasn't funny, pure and simple. To children, it was amusing, sure. But there's nothing that appeals to adults...nothing to distract us from all the toilet humor.

It was mainly there to define the rules that would be in place for the rest of the series (Kenny dying every episode...the catchphrases...Chef singing...Terrence and Phillip...Stan vomiting...)

They had about 5 different plots going on at once in each ep, and they just didn't know how to write back then. Understandable.

Now, the second season drastically improved but still wasn't all that good, with the exception of the Terrence and Phillip episode and Prehistoric Ice Man. There were some great ideas sprinkled throughout the episodes but again, the writing structure was poor.

The first half of season 3 suffered mainly due to the fact that they were writing the movie at the same time. They still made a great episode in Sexual Harassment Panda. After the movie was out, they really hit their stride, and the second half of Season 3 kicked ass.

Then seasons 4-7, they were really starting to become razor-sharp with their satire. Then "The Year From Hell," 2004...saw a fairly lacklustre season 8. Season 9 came along and it wasn't much to write home about either...

Then came a glorious season 10, followed by the best season they've ever done: Season 11. Season 11 has about 6-7 classic episodes, more than any other season. Everything they touched turned to gold in this season.

Then everything started to go downhill at 12.
My name is Brendle, and I think Trey Parker is a genius.
chef423

Postby chef423 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:26 pm

Brendle wrote:No. South Park wasn't at its peak in the "first four seasons." It cerainly didn't stop being good after 7 seasons either.

The first season just wasn't funny, pure and simple. To children, it was amusing, sure. But there's nothing that appeals to adults...nothing to distract us from all the toilet humor.

It was mainly there to define the rules that would be in place for the rest of the series (Kenny dying every episode...the catchphrases...Chef singing...Terrence and Phillip...Stan vomiting...)

They had about 5 different plots going on at once in each ep, and they just didn't know how to write back then. Understandable.

Now, the second season drastically improved but still wasn't all that good, with the exception of the Terrence and Phillip episode and Prehistoric Ice Man. There were some great ideas sprinkled throughout the episodes but again, the writing structure was poor.

The first half of season 3 suffered mainly due to the fact that they were writing the movie at the same time. They still made a great episode in Sexual Harassment Panda. After the movie was out, they really hit their stride, and the second half of Season 3 kicked ass.

Then seasons 4-7, they were really starting to become razor-sharp with their satire. Then "The Year From Hell," 2004...saw a fairly lacklustre season 8. Season 9 came along and it wasn't much to write home about either...

Then came a glorious season 10, followed by the best season they've ever done: Season 11. Season 11 has about 6-7 classic episodes, more than any other season. Everything they touched turned to gold in this season.

I would agree to some of that. But dude, seriously? Anal Probe is one of the funniest episodes eva!

Season 5-8 are very good....I guess my point is the show has just lost its way. I am not sure who owns the rights, but someone is pulling out soon....thats for sure. This show, at this painful pace, will never make the run the Simpsons has.

chef
Zazaban

Postby Zazaban » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:43 pm

Brendle wrote:No. South Park wasn't at its peak in the "first four seasons." It cerainly didn't stop being good after 7 seasons either.

Must you always talk about your personal opinion as though it's objective truth like this? So what if he disagrees when the best seasons were? Neither one of you can be more right than the other, it's all subjective.
skurtz wrote:
nwt000 wrote:Get your trolling ass out of here!

I'm more friendlier drinking some espresso.
JVM

Postby JVM » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:29 pm

Oh put a sock in it. I'm really sick of your attitude about this. Has South Park changed? Yes. It's nowhere near the same show it was in 1997. But there's really no exact times of change. So stop re-iterating this damn 'This season, that season' speech everywhere.

And personally I hate Season Ten, and I guarantee Season Eleven would be FAR less popular if it didn't contain "Imaginationland" which I'm sure makes up 3 of those '7' classic episodes, although I did love S11.
South Park is a platform for Matt and Trey's social commentary and satire; there is no canon and these characters only serve as tools for self-expression. Don't get attached.
theking268

Postby theking268 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:31 am

But I laugh hysterically at every episode of South Park. It's a matter of opinion.
8shortfuse

Postby 8shortfuse » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:20 am

theking268 wrote:But I laugh hysterically at every episode of South Park. It's a matter of opinion.

Me too, They all crack me up. The new ones just as much as the old ones. seasons 10-14 have some of my favorite eps in it! It's all opinion. But I guess if they're done, they're done. If Matt and Trey have had enough then all we can do is sit back and laugh our heads off at the episodes we have left. It's had an amazing run!
niceiraqi1

Postby niceiraqi1 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:49 am

amen brother. they shouldn't have made the last three seasons as well.

i'm glad more and more people are realizing this; i was such a hardcore fan and i thought the show was out of this world, but the last three seasons gave me such a huge shock of faith.

i wish they would just be erased from my memory, they're so lame you can't believe they're made by the same smart people. i think they're just corporate whores now.
Southpark_mmmkay

Postby Southpark_mmmkay » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:10 pm

I agree 15 seasons is ALOT of seasons for any show ,and if Matt and Trey decided that it was time to move on i'd respect that and still think they were awesome. Some seasons definetly lacked somewhat in the norm south park comedy. Not talking about the newest seasons 13 and 14. They had some simply hilarious episodes that had me rolling around laughing. My least fav. would have to be 12. But in the end theyre all brilliant just some a little more so. Every season was still great to me and if south park really stopped being funny to an individual the answer is simple stop watching it.
Southpark_mmmkay

Postby Southpark_mmmkay » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:34 pm

being a super sp fan i gotta say off the earlier episodes i gotta like season 2 cow days lolz. For a newer choice 2 i really liked fatbeard. So there ARE still funny new episodes
8shortfuse

Postby 8shortfuse » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:58 pm

It all depends on whaen you started watching. If you watched it from the beginning then you're building up your own steryotype per se. It's like that with every show. I use to love Spongebob for example and watched it from the start, but after so many years the show just kept getting worse. And now i refuse to watch the new ones.
The same is said for people who start watching the show during later seasons. The new episodes become the norm for them and, depending on the person, they'll either like the old episodes too or they'll like the new ones more.
I personally like them all, the season doesn't matter, but I started watching during season 12, I think.
All shows develope and change, If they stay exactly the same people get bored. But yet again, It's all opinion. You like what you like, nothing wrong with that.
ufcchick

Postby ufcchick » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:45 am

I agree with shortfuse, I was not interested in sp when it first came out, I just couldnt get into it, didnt find it that humorous, then. but in the last year or two I have, I have been catching up on episodes on this site which is great, I have started around season 10, and im getting there, maybe later I will go further back. cant say if I will find the earlier shows as funny or not but I like what I have been seeing now. And I can say this, I have never laughed so hard in my life as I have with some of the newer episodes, and i loved its a jersey thing bcz i watched that show (for comic relief & shock value) and it was just right on, but more so I find the writing to be genius. I love the margaritaville, cartoon wars, the losing edge, and im sure more i cant remember right now, trey and matt are super talented, I like the common sense approach the show seems to hint at, and I appreciate the gift of creativity and humor they share with us every wednesday night. I hope sp doesnt go away but if it does thankyou trey and matt even though Im pretty new to sp. just dont take this site away so I can continue to watch more. Thanks!
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:58 am

I disagree with what you said about Trey and Matt "obviously not being interested" in the show. The last two episodes are proof that they care about writing the show, not only are they doing a parody of super hereo movies in general, and doing satire on the whole BP incident, but they managed to effectively work in the whole HP Lovecraft mythology into the story. And if you look at the new episode discussion on the board, a lot of the fans seem to love it and they are excited for tomorrow night's episode. That is pretty f*cking cool, and you can tell Trey and Matt and the other writers are having fun writing these episodes. I think they care about what they do, it is just that the author of this thread thinks they don't because he thinks his opinion is the only right one. I also disagree with what was said about the first season. Man, I loved the first season, and it wasn't just because of the toliet humor, it was also because of the humor that came from the characters interacting.The first season is what got me into South Park, I have been watching since, and if Trey and Matt want to renew their contracts I will keep watching. Yes, not every episode is perfect, but every season has some episodes I like, and even the South Park episodes that aren't the greatest are better than Seth Macfarlene's shows.
Tweeeeek

Postby Tweeeeek » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:28 pm

^ Hah yeah, dvda/screw Family Guy.

For me, South Park only got better as the series progressed. There were a few episodes in this season that were slightly lacklustre in comparison to s12 and s13, but in the same sense, there were also eps I didn't absolutely adore in the latter two as well. I just watch South Park because it's fcuking genius, and my life would be bland without it.

s1 was good. I remember the Pinkeye ep scaring me when I was like 7, though, lol. Any Mr. Hankey ep/song reminds me of my childhood. South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut was the first naughty movie I ever saw, and the best I'll ever see, unless Trey and Matt bring out another SP one. I've had my Kenny plushie for 10 years now, and will have it until I'm (god forbid) old enough to hand it down to my grand kids. I'm in love with everything Matt and Trey have created, they're like unicorns (unicorns are kick ass btw), pissing out rainbow delights at every turn. There's NO ONE like them. There's nothing, nor has there ever been anything, like South Park. It is creation, and M+T are the creators. My Gods.

/end semi-ranty/sentimental bs

Don't ever stop, Matt and Trey. My life would be sh*t without you. Cereal.
I love Tweek. He's twitchy. I also love Kenny and Towelie.

Postby 81397 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:30 pm

Personally, i like the new direction SP has taken.

For one thing, to be taken seriously, the show had to start doing some sociopolitical satire. You can't write fifteen seasons worth of pure toilet humor, as funny as it was, and expect for a show to make it. Nor can you keep retaining the "classic" vibe of a show throughout it's run or you'll just lose too much interest.

The world has changed a LOT since 1997. I think SP has adapted very well to the changing times and I enjoy most of their takes on polarizing issues. Of course I am not in stitches every episode, but the show makes me think just a little more about what's going on around me and that's why I keep watching.

Almost 14 seasons to date. 15 is coming. None of them are perfect. Every season has episodes I like and some I don't. Never once have I got the impression that Matt and Trey have simply "lost interest".

Return to “General South Park Discussion”