Mysterion Rising: What does the riddle mean?

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

nerdocrat

Mysterion Rising: What does the riddle mean?

Postby nerdocrat » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:30 am

"That is not dead which can eternal lie.
And with strange aeons even death may die."

I have an idea as to what the riddle means in the context of SP - in part 3, Kenny will lose his power to die and come back. He will die and that will be that. The character of Kenny will be retired.

I'm not saying I want it to happen like that, but it's just what I think may happen.

Thoughts?
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Re: Mysterion Rising: What does the riddle mean?

Postby Big-Will » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:37 am

H. P. Lovecraft never explained it, so there's no meaning to it.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
Niels0827

Postby Niels0827 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:43 am

Big-Will wrote:H. P. Lovecraft never explained it, so there's no meaning to it.

I sure hope you're right.

nerdocrat wrote:He will die and that will be that. The character of Kenny will be retired.

I sure hope you're not.
CherrehCola

Postby CherrehCola » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:59 am

That's what I thought it meant, too. I really hope it doesn't happen.

Poor Kenny.
DON'T KICK THE BABY!

~*Dream about the sun,you queen of rain.
Ahisgewaya

Postby Ahisgewaya » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:04 am

nerdocrat wrote:"That is not dead which can eternal lie.
And with strange aeons even death may die."

I have an idea as to what the riddle means in the context of SP - in part 3, Kenny will lose his power to die and come back. He will die and that will be that. The character of Kenny will be retired.

I'm not saying I want it to happen like that, but it's just what I think may happen.

Thoughts?

This has me greatly worried as well, not that Kenny will die permanently, but that he will make himself sleep forever, thus ensuring he will not die again.
Ahisgewaya

Postby Ahisgewaya » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:08 am

Big-Will wrote:H. P. Lovecraft never explained it, so there's no meaning to it.

Just because he didn't explain it doesn't mean there is no meaning.
It refers to Cthulhu, who is not dead but sleeping forever.

Some people who are really into Cthulhu take it to mean that there is no death only change. And that change is a type of madness.
VACOOLA

Postby VACOOLA » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:09 am

"It means Cthulhu is gonna get rid of all the posers, and make everything cool, and black, and stuff. It's gonna be like a Nine Inch Nails concert that goes on forever."

I think it's pretty much all we need to know.
F*** New Jersey

Postby F*** New Jersey » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:49 am

nerdocrat wrote:I have an idea as to what the riddle means in the context of SP - in part 3, Kenny will lose his power to die and come back. He will die and that will be that. The character of Kenny will be retired.

You want to kill Kenny?! You bastard!!! :wink:

I think the riddle means that Kenny's DEATH will die, i.e. he will stop dying all the time, and will become a normal mortal kid. There is no point of retiring Kenny's character.

Remember "Groundhog Day"? I'm pretty sure Kenny is in a similar situation: once does something what he is supposed to do, his curse will be gone.
CherrehCola

Postby CherrehCola » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:16 pm

Well...Matt and Trey don't like Kenny much, but...if they do kill him off, maybe people will protest, like last time, and bring him back?

All I'm saying is, I don't wanna see Clyde as the new "fourth friend", which is bound to happen if Kenny is off the show, since they seem to be pushing him a lot lately.

(I'm actually starting to like Clyde a bit, since the Mosquito was pretty cool, and that whole "Nag, nag, nag" thing he did with his mom had me chuckle. But I'd rather they keep Kenny.)

You never know. They're bastards *shrugs*.
DON'T KICK THE BABY!

LilNugget

Postby LilNugget » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:33 pm

Maybe Death will be making an appearance in part 3? If any character from the show should know what's going on with Kinn-ee, it's Death.
Timmy!
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:48 pm

F*** New Jersey wrote:Remember "Groundhog Day"? I'm pretty sure Kenny is in a similar situation: once does something what he is supposed to do, his curse will be gone.

That! Oh, I was gonna say as much in the post-air discussion thread, and I got sidetracked. Oh well.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:11 pm

CherrehCola wrote:Well...Matt and Trey don't like Kenny much.

Ii's not that they don't like him, it's that they wonder why fans couldn't let go of him when he died at the end of season 5. As Matt said, he's just a prop. But even they must like him enough to have brought him back to the group so they could be the original four again. And now that he's Mysterion with the power of immortality, how are they gonna get rid of him?
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
8shortfuse

Postby 8shortfuse » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:25 pm

I said this in another thread, but I seriously think that because Kenny's parents went to the Cthulu meetings 10 years ago Kenny was cursed. They were drunk the whole time and they dont remember anything so maybe they were involved in some culty seance thing and got their soon to be son all cursed. lol maybe he's actually Cthulus child implanted in Mrs. McCormik...thats kinda farfetched though...or is it haha.

Anyway, that's my somewhat perdiction. Either that or when you drink way to much during a pregnancy the birth defect is immortality.

(yeah that's prtty much word for word what I already wrote in the other thread.)
Last edited by 8shortfuse on Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cellar Door

Postby Cellar Door » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:54 pm

I think somehow Kenny is linked to Cuthulu and his Cult, sort of like a piece of they're "religious" puzzle. He could be some sort of Messiah or something. But that incantation (or riddle, what have you) seems to be indicating that there is someway that Kenny's curse can be broken and that he can actually die.
In which case they'll probably kill Kenny (YOU BASTARDS!), though I pray to Cuthulu they don't. Kenny's become so much more than a prop since the show began.
I can't imagine a bus stop scene without all four original characters; Stan Kyle Cartman AND Kenny. He has to live.
CherrehCola

Postby CherrehCola » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:41 pm

Big-Will wrote:
CherrehCola wrote:Well...Matt and Trey don't like Kenny much.

Ii's not that they don't like him, it's that they wonder why fans couldn't let go of him when he died at the end of season 5. As Matt said, he's just a prop. But even they must like him enough to have brought him back to the group so they could be the original four again. And now that he's Mysterion with the power of immortality, how are they gonna get rid of him?

Because people grow attached to characters, I guess? He never really did anything before, but he was still part of the group, the four just fit. Also, I guess everyone just missed all of his death scenes (which is a lot more likely than the previous things I typed).

Butters can't die and come back to life, neither could Tweek. Anyway. I'm guessing this prophecy CAN make him mortal, somehow, or he'll have to sacrifice himself to get rid of...however you spell the name, that alien God thing.
DON'T KICK THE BABY!

Return to “General South Park Discussion”