Why I think South Park is ending after S.15

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

Timski

Re: Why I think South Park is ending after S.15

Postby Timski » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:53 pm

I don' think, and really hope that this isn't leading to the end of South Park. Trey and Matt have been doing lots of interviews lately about their 'book of Mormon' musical.. and when asked about South Park, sounded totally enthusiastic and said they loved what they do. So why would they stop? In these interviews they also spoke about another South Park film that they might want to do one day and also said that they'd at least want to do south park for at least 5 more years, if I remember correctly.
The latest episode really bummed me out. Half way through it I actually thought to myself 'This is the best South Park episode so far'. Why? Lot's of different settings, accurate and understandable depictions of growing up and getting older, TOTALLY unpredictable story line and still in keeping with the general immature humor that makes South Park great. Towards the end however, I realized that all the sh*t that went down couldn't be wrapped up in around 3 mins.. and was waiting for the signature 'TO BE CONTINUED' that Trey & Matt usually slap in there.. but nothing. Fade to black. At the end of the first half of the season none the less? Now that's just cruel.
But lets look on the bright side. I really DON'T think South Park is going to end anytime soon and here's why;
Randy being split up from Sharon is a blessing for some great episodes to come.. think about it.. Randy dating other women with his rusty techniques? Bringing home women and introducing them to Stan? Maybe even getting someone pregnant? The possibilities are endless.. and the same goes for Sharon. Up till now, she's not been a particularly funny character, just someone for Randy, Stan etc to play off of. This could be a chance to really develop her.
If Kyle and Eric become awesome friends.. their personalities are still the same, and will clash at some point, triggering an awesome fall out that could be possibly hilarious.
Stan wont get written out of the show. In a commentary, I quote Trey saying "We started with the most ordinary group of friends we could think of; the normal one, the fat one, the poor one and the Jewish one". Stan is the character that we as active viewers are inclined to project our own personalities onto. I think a lot of people will agree with me that he is the main character. They wont write him out, I can count on it.
I think we all agree that since South Park hit season 11, it's not exactly been on the up and up. Not not gotten worse and it's not gotten better. There are way more pop culture references recently, but whether that's a positive or negative aspect is based on how you as a viewer interpreted the experiences of the characters.
I believe that South Park NEEDED a kick up the arse to get it going again.. and this could be it. Don't get pessimistic folks. I'm sure none of us want to contract the same condition as Stan. The 'cynical assh*le' ;D
Benwyn

Postby Benwyn » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:16 pm

I think this could be the start to a really interesting end, if it comes to it. M&T aren't gonna get rid of Stan and carry on or just abandon everything, they'll work really hard to end it properly, SP is like their child!

I think the second half of this series is going to be awesome, different and a roller coaster for everyone. We've come close to loosing South Park in the past and it's survived so maybe it's time for a natural end rather than it getting cancelled or something.
Saying that i hope it continues, life w/o South Park is like cooking without creme fresh!
mrkoey

Postby mrkoey » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:51 pm

Come on people.

Let's stop kidding ourselves, this season is the end of it all.

The parents just aren't earning the emotional satisfaction from the show anymore and they don't need the money.

Playing Stevie Nicks at the end "You're Getting Old" is the most obvious sign it's done. Trey has always hated Stevie Nicks, but...

"sh*t you hated when you were younger suddenly becomes appealing".

Listen to Landslide and you tell me they aren't referencing their baby.

I look forward to the end, embrace it.
Huckle

Postby Huckle » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:44 am

It's going to be very sad. But, I love the show so much, and in that love the creators. They've given us a show that is absolutely incredible, and we only offer them our views in return. I look forward to watching all the episodes over and over again. I'll be showing them all, in order, to the generations that come after the show is off the air (at least with new episodes.) Perhaps, I'll show them to my children some day. That way, they'll know what true comedy is. Thanks, Matt and Trey.
d7575u

Postby d7575u » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:46 am

Either way, its up to M+T... its not bigger than them...it is them.

There have been hilarious moments in the last few episodes...that said...in my opinion this has been a really disappointing season. The ipad episode was depressing...the next episode they were bitching about the awards show...third episode bitching about the royal wedding...fourth penis size episode was retarded....fifth episode bitching about student athletes being taken advantage of...city sushi wasn't a terribly enjoyable or entertaining episode either.

This getting older episode...it seemed like they were complaining about their audience being cynical about their show...and also complaining about themselves being/becoming cynical as it went on. It almost seems like they didn't know where they wanted the episode to go. Hopefully, they're not exhausted, there are hundreds of shows they could still make. (And we really need South Park because nobody is willing to say the things they say- the things that need to be said!) There are so many more episodes to make::: Where's the dead Osama in love with Satan- fighting with Saddam?? They have a whole election to bash coming up...who knows what awesome stuff they could parody...I hope to God they don't stop but it seems like they're disillusioned. I love South Park, own nearly every season and with Netflix I've watched every episode until my brain's numb....BUT I'd rather they quit than run the show into the ground...

Much love to M+T if it is done...you've shaped a generation and made the world a better much less sh*tty place! If it is over...then RIP!..we can only celebrate what we've all had and enjoyed for so many years!!
LuvUlongTime

Postby LuvUlongTime » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:57 am

obliviousone wrote: As far as the series wrapping up with a movie, I don't see why that's not still possible. They put these episodes together in less than a week, I don't see why the couldn't put 90 minutes together by the end of the season. In addition I really doubt they would make a big deal about another movie if their fans know that is how they wanted to end the series. It would be pretty obvious the series is coming to a close, and obvious is not really matt and trey's style. It's already been said a lot in this thread but they are wrapping up all the lose ends in south park's history. I honestly wasn't convinced until this most recent episode. The last few minutes where sharon and randy are talking about growing apart, I really think that was the voice of trey and matt and their feelings on south park. The episode had far too serious of a feel for it to be ignored in my mind. I've always enjoyed south park, and I am sad to see it go, but every good thing must come to an end. Trey and Matt will always be geniuses in my book. Rest in peace, south park.

I'm sad to say that i must agree. The conversation between Randy and Sharon near the end was a clear foreshadowing of M&T's plans to end the show. They have been growing out of "toilet" humor more and more with each season and growing more towards sincere metaphorical concepts that are more appropriate for Broadway than cable. Furthermore, they have said that Broadway was their childhood dreams and they are now on it, I truly think they are planning on bringing south park to a close so they can focus all their energy on their new theatrical careers.
JVM

Postby JVM » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:57 am

"I’ve been afraid of changing because I built my whole life around you. Time makes us older, children get older. I’m getting older, too."

As noted in Landslide, and this particular bit is quite similar to Trey and Matt's situation. They created the show, and their careers are pretty much built around it. They will probably forever be remembered as 'the creators of South Park' before anything else. But they're older and they want to move on.

Even if S15 isn't quite the end, they definitely won't move past the rumored S17 renewal in this case.
South Park is a platform for Matt and Trey's social commentary and satire; there is no canon and these characters only serve as tools for self-expression. Don't get attached.
CynicalAsshole

Postby CynicalAsshole » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:09 am

I am completely new to this board, only joined it to see what people had to say about last nights episode.
I am a lifelong south park fan, it has brought me more joy in my life than any other show (animated or otherwise) The show is not just about making fun of popular culture, but actually has important lessons and character development. The humor is accompanied by content that makes the show seem so much more real than just animated TV.
THAT being said:
Maybe the reason why M&T have become so cynical is YOU people.
Not all of you, but some of you. I have sat here and read some of the responses on this thread (what else are you going to do with a broken leg?) and I am disgusted by the attitude some "fans" have towards the show.
The biggest thing that sinks a long running show like south park is the fans. The non stop nit picking and rigid resistance to change of any kind is what disheartens people like M&T.
SOUTHPARK was created by M&T, it is there child it is there work that they made. NOT YOURS. If you are unhappy with the direction the show has taken after season 11, 12 ect... then DONT watch.
It is not your responsibility as fans to sit back and criticize everything they do because it doesnt adhere to what you think south park should be. That is not for you to decide, it is up to M&T.

Sit back and enjoy the ride, they have never dissapointed. I for one loved this past episode, it would pain me for the show to end, but it is entirely up to M&T. This past episode was an in depth look at how we all feel growing up and growing apart from the things we once loved. Personally, it may have been one of my all time favorites just because it showed just how flexible those two can be with their material.

Fire away if you must, I am new here, but this is kids opinion on a show that he has held dear for years.
BigGuy101

Postby BigGuy101 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:42 pm

Well Trey Parker and Matt Stone haven't been unhappy with doing South Park since 2009. They've entered a state of depression. They're no longer doing it because they love the show or characters. They're doing it because Comedy Central is obligating to. The only reason they smile in front of the cameras to hide what they are really feeling. Deep down they are saying, "The day this show ends once and for all, it'll be the happiest day of our lives." In case you haven't noticed, there are a lot of subliminal messages spread throughout episode You're Getting Old (#507).

The episode title clearly states that Parker and Stone think that the show is getting old.
    In the scene where Randy and Sharon both claim to be unhappy, that's Parker' and Stone's way of letting how they feel about having to continue the show's production.
    When Stan sees everything and everyone around as "sh*t," that is basically Parker's and Stone's view of the show (not that they hate it).

The two obviously feel that they've wasted they're entire careers on South Park. They both want to move on with their lives. Which makes me kind of sad because I've grown up watching South Park. I don't want the show to end anytime soon. But unfortunately, every story needs to have an ending.
My favorite SP characters: Cartman and Butters.

My favorite food: anything pasta related.
Osaka6

Postby Osaka6 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:46 am

Great Episode with a great ending, thats all.

Its not the end of randy (i love him), stan or even southpark.
The last seasons and this season too, are complete dope.
I find it is so funny, that I think they still love to write this stuff.

They getting better and better, why should they end it ?

23 min x 15 = 345 minutes = one season
I dont think that this makes the Guys that much tired that they will end it.
Its even more realistic that they hire some jokewriters who will continue south park .

i accept all bets, i give ya fellas a good quote
DumbDumbDumbDumbDumb

Postby DumbDumbDumbDumbDumb » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:50 am

I totally agree with you, After seeing "You're getting old", I was thinking...they are really going to end this after 15 years! What a wonderful trip it's been, but I really think it's over people. "It's the same sh*t week after week, and it just gets more rediculous. Some times people grow apart...I think you are kind of sh*tty." They had their dream and now they just want to enjoy life. GOD BLESS MATT AND TREY....WE WILL MISS YOU!!! One half season left!!!!
DumbDumbDumbDumbDumb

Postby DumbDumbDumbDumbDumb » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:54 am

littleredhairedgirl86 wrote:I don't want to live in a world where there are no new South Park episodes starting in March and October. I look so forward to it.

However, the show pretty much peaked at season 7 for me. It's been downhill since then.

It's hard to let go, but it's probably for the best.

Are you kidding me? Imagineation Land. The Coon...The best episodes ever...not to mention Tom Cruise is a fudge packer.....
vickidee

Postby vickidee » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:00 am

I'm new to the forums (tho not to South Park, been with em since the very beginning), thought I'd check in and see if other people were feeling the same as me after this weeks show and I guess I was right. I saw an interview with Matt n Trey fairly recently where they said that they didn't want to be doing South Park in their 40s so I reckons the end is near. I'd love to think it isn't. I, like many of you, can't imagine a life where I've seen every episode there is to see. That'd be terrible.
I agree though, tying up the loose ends, Cartman actually corrupting Kyle, Liu Kim turning out to not be Chinese, it's all pointing to the end from my perspective. They've seemed fairly unhappy since 201, I've still really enjoyed the recent series' but it has seemed like Matt n Trey just aren't feeling the love anymore.
Ooh also, it was Kyle they were originally going to write out when Kenny died (Matt does the voices of Kyle and Kenny, and Butters... Aww nooo! No more new Butters! That thought just broke my heart!) so The Marshes being written out just doesn't feel right. Speaking of which, do people seriously hate Randy?!? That just doesn't compute to me, he's awesome!
Anyway, can't wait to see how they end it. You know it's gonna be magnificent, I know I'll cry like a child.
Editor

Postby Editor » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:38 pm

Piccolo wrote:Excuse me for bad english.

Please END South Park soon, before i grow hatred towards pbbbbttttttt pppbbbbbbbttt rrrrrrrrrRRRRRRRRRRRRRRaaaalllllllffffff plubplubplubplubplub pbbBBBBBBBBBBBBBBPPPPPPPPPPBBBTTtttttttttttttttttttttttttt............ BRRrruPP!

Unfortunately i cannot recall all of what i had in mind, but for me crucial thing was pbbbbbbbbbbttttttttttpbbptbptpbtpbptb FFFFFFFFRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRooooooooooooooooooooooooooOOOooOOOoOooOoO gurglegurglegurgleBBBBBBBPPPPPPPPTTTtttttttttttTTTTTTTttttttttttttttttt.

Despite that now South Park turned to complete BBBBBBBBPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPppppppPPPPPPPpp pppPPPppP rrrrrrrRRRRRRRRRRUUURRRRRRRRRRTUUURRrrrrrrrrrrrrddd..... failure, i will always PBBBLOP -- splurrp sprrrrRRRRrrrraaaaaaaaggggggggghhhhhh..

Best of pbbt...

Word for word....
S0UThPAwK

Postby S0UThPAwK » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:22 pm

Well, you can't beat a dead horse, if they keep going on i guess the episodes will get worse. BUT , 1 thing i got to say is, for them to make the last episode absolutely hilarious like the older episodes, make it a 1 hour special and make cartmans voice be like it use to and just be hilarious, not depressing like this recent episode. They need to make it funny, have all the old characters come back and make fun of the media like theres no tomorrow, then end it with cartman sh*tting on kyle and kenny getting killed again lol. OH and butters.... dont forget him. WHAT WHAT IN THE BUTT.. I SAIIIID WUT WUT IN THE BUUUUURRRRRRRRRRT :unhoodedkenny:

Return to “General South Park Discussion”