Why I think South Park is ending after S.15

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

jayman419

Re: Biggiesmalls Biggiesmalls Biggiesmalls

Postby jayman419 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:08 am

CartmansWhore wrote:Last time I heard, they renewed thru S15 and I always had a feeling this was going to be one of the more dramatic seasons and it scared me to think it may be ending; although it seems like everyone is saying it'll keep going thru S17, but where is your source?

‘South Park’ at 200: Trey Parker and Matt Stone Apologize to No One' 3/102010 NY Times
Q.
Your current contract with Comedy Central takes you to 2013, at which point you’ll have been doing “South Park” for more than 15 years. Could the end of the show be in sight then?
A.
PARKER: Well, it’s not like we’re going to be doing this when we’re 45. [laughs]
STONE: This is the entirety of our adult life, “South Park.” It’s been good that we’ve gone and done the movie “Team America” and these other things, because every time, we realize how great this job is. You go deal with a movie studio for a few weeks and you’re like, man, I just want to go back to my show.
Q.
Even so, you don’t have an idea locked up in a vault somewhere for a possible final episode?
A.
PARKER: We don’t even know what we’re doing next week. I wish we did.
STONE: If we did, we would have already used it and done something else.
PARKER: During a run, we’re like, Oh, my God, we got no ideas. We got no ideas. We would have pulled that out.
STONE: Nothing sits in the safe, because as soon as we put it in the safe, we just take it out of the safe and use it.

(and)

"Why South Park's Trey Parker and Matt Stone Now Say It's 'Wrong' to Offend" 3/24/2011 Hollywood Reporter
A week after they leave New York around March 28, the pair hurtles into the 15th season of South Park, part of a new pact with Comedy Central that keeps the show on the air through 2013 and is said to be even richer than their previous $75 million deal.
It's 4:19... Got a minute?
Barack_Obama

Re: Why I think South Park is ending after S.15

Postby Barack_Obama » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:26 am

Been discussed before, that 2013 part was never officially signed to the knowledge of anyone other than those at CC and SPS.

Will even changed the title of that thread when this was realized. It is very likely that it ends this season, so prepare for October.
I have been here since January 2005 with another name. I have seniority. (.__. )

Plants stuff their pollen everywhere, all those kids who get allergies because of pollen have plant sperm in their lungs. Flowers deep throat kids :I

- Unassumption
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:31 am

jayman419 wrote:‘South Park’ at 200: Trey Parker and Matt Stone Apologize to No One' 3/102010 NY Times
Q.
Your current contract with Comedy Central takes you to 2013, at which point you’ll have been doing “South Park” for more than 15 years. Could the end of the show be in sight then?
A.
PARKER: Well, it’s not like we’re going to be doing this when we’re 45. [laughs]
STONE: This is the entirety of our adult life, “South Park.” It’s been good that we’ve gone and done the movie “Team America” and these other things, because every time, we realize how great this job is. You go deal with a movie studio for a few weeks and you’re like, man, I just want to go back to my show.
Q.
Even so, you don’t have an idea locked up in a vault somewhere for a possible final episode?
A.
PARKER: We don’t even know what we’re doing next week. I wish we did.
STONE: If we did, we would have already used it and done something else.
PARKER: During a run, we’re like, Oh, my God, we got no ideas. We got no ideas. We would have pulled that out.
STONE: Nothing sits in the safe, because as soon as we put it in the safe, we just take it out of the safe and use it.

That one's the one that gets me. I don't think nall posted a confirmation even that far back. He posted on another board that everything is speculation until Matt and Trey decide to say something here, so even if those two article seem correct, they aren't.

On the other hand, Matt and Trey didn't deny that the show would go through 2013, so who knows?
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
jayman419

Postby jayman419 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:53 am

Barack_Obama wrote:Been discussed before, that 2013 part was never officially signed to the knowledge of anyone other than those at CC and SPS.

Will even changed the title of that thread when this was realized. It is very likely that it ends this season, so prepare for October.

I just kind of read it as Trey Parker and Matt Stone responding to a direct question, when the reporter asked them how they feel about the show being under contract until 2013.

A direct response, plus secondary sources, seems pretty well confirmed to me.

I'm not saying that they lack the money to just walk away whenever they want. I'm just saying that it's not really being fair to people to insist that the show is automatically up at the end of this season.

Their last contract got so much coverage because 1) it was pretty big and 2) it had this website in it, the idea that they could make money by giving away their product.
jayman419

That NY Times article, plus quotes from the Montreal Mirror

Postby jayman419 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:01 am

This was back in 2008 [emphasis added by me]:
Montreal Mirror: [their reporter, riffing with Matt and Trey, says] It’s funny, in spite of all the pressure of doing South Park, I always come away from the show thinking it has a good spirit, that in spite of it all, you’re enjoying what you’re doing....

Parker: Well, [laughs] we’re usually not—but I think the reason why we’re still here after 12 years is… both me and Matt, we’re happy people and so the show might come out that way. A lot of shows we’ve seen, things that have tried to copy South Park but don’t work, it always ends up that they just churn out something that is really cynical. And we’re not cynics at all, we’re both optimists, really. And no matter how much we rip on something or find it ridiculous, in the end, it’s like, isn’t this all fun? Aren’t we having a great time? Even if we’re not exactly having a great time making it, that is the attitude that we want to see in the show. That’s the attitude I want to see when I’m watching TV. You want to escape, you don’t want to see something telling you the world sucks. Nobody wants to watch something that is just mean.

More from the NY Times Interview:
Q.You’re now about two years into the operation of your South Park Studios Web site, where just about all the content is available for free. Does the gamble seem to be paying off?

A.
PARKER: To be honest, we don’t care about the money. We both have all the money we need. It’s really just about the survival of the show. First hearing about, O.K., we’re going to be putting everything on the Internet for free, I was like, Really? Wow, O.K. [laughs] That’s the world we live in. I’m actually surprised at how smooth the transition is going.
STONE: If we had years and years to discuss it, and we had determined what the right course of action was – but we don’t have years and years. We’re doing the show right now in 2010, and the reality is, we have to have our show on the Internet. Would the network like it if everyone who watched it for free on the Internet actually had to pay? Yes. But it always ends up helping us when people can see the show.

They made this episode because it's what people were expecting them to make. Lots of folks have been waiting years for the inevitable burn-out. They have a big play going right now, they still have a lot of money, and this surprise downer is generating more press and airtime than almost any other episode, which is saying a lot. And the kind of coverage it's generating is different than anything that's been said about South Park before.

But it's still a gag. They sat down in the writer's room and banged something out. Just like they always do. We just won't know who the joke's on until the show comes back on the air.

I have a feeling it's on us, the fans who expected so little of them. When everything they've ever said seemed to indicate they were going to send the show off right, we look at the evidence with a cynical "yeah right."
thebigguy

Postby thebigguy » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:29 am

sh*t! I just saw the episode on Saturday and I was hoping it was a gag. I have not been staying current with the whole MNT vs. Corporate assh*les story line.

I guess we as fans will have to ride it out and see what happens.
I like pleasure spiked with pain
And music is my aeroplane
It's my aeroplane
Songbird sweet and sour Jane
And music is my aeroplane
It's my aeroplane
Pleasure spiked with pain

That motherf*cker's always spiked with pain
Lucidmatrix

Postby Lucidmatrix » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:08 pm

meg125 wrote:Warning, this is a massive post, feel free to skip it. But if you're currently panicking about the show ending after Season 15, it might make you feel better. I hope so.

I'm not so sure we should believe this is the last season just because of that ending, for a few reasons. First off, just consider Trey and Matt's personalities and work ethic for a minute. Debbie Liebling once told a story about how the whole team wanted to take a day off, and while everyone else rested T&M made a short film. In a day. I understand that doing the show makes them tired, and they are "getting older too" (thank you, Stevie...ah, back to you in a minute), but my God, they're only 40 and 41! What are they going to do, sit around all day?! They can't NOT create, it just oozes out of them. They are two of the most hardworking, energetic people in the entertainment business. Plus, in how many interviews over the years have they described how tired and irritable they get in the middle of a run? This is nothing new, regardless of their age. Even back in '98 and '99, they talked about how they thought the 2nd or 3rd seasons would be the last. (!!!) I understand things have changed since then, and they have gotten older, but keep in mind that it doesn't guarantee it's the proverbial apocalypse.

And the whole "Landslide" thing...let's not disregard its status as a joke just yet. Trey and Matt don't even like Stevie Nicks! Remember "Osama Bin Laden Has Farty Pants?" She was a freaking goat in it. In the commentary for that episode Matt even says, and I directly quote, "I've always hated Stevie Nicks." Why would they decide to use a song by an artist they dislike to create a sticky-sweet, sentimental moment? It should at least send up a flag.

Last but not least, if there's one thing Trey and Matt definitely aren't, it's cynical. I find it hard to believe that they'd let one of their main characters, and show in general, be overtaken by a philosophy they've sort of crusaded against all these years, even if they're getting tired. If anything, this is an opportunity for them to turn around and make a statement denouncing the condition of "Being a Cynical assh*le."

Sorry for the long diatribe, I don't at all mean to be a pushy assh*le. If this does turn out to be the last season, that's alright then too. They'll always be my heroes and I love them forever and ever. I just don't think we have such solid reasons to fear the end yet.

Your words are wise Meg, I now can't believe how fast I jumped to thinking the end is near. Would not be the first time they left us with our jaws hangin. If season 15 is the end or not, I expect the second half is going to pack quite a punch. :assface:
Pielord12

Postby Pielord12 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:48 pm

This episode means one of two things: BIG changes are going to happen and the plot will actually advance or they will tie up loose ends and end with this season.
crozier247

Postby crozier247 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:24 am

this is my take on the whole situation.
the two old guys in the show were symbols of M+T,
but some of Randy and Sharons Argument was directed as M+T's feelings. The part where the old guys were outside in the bushes saying "come on, it's our only way to save the Britches" (or something to that extent) was M+T giving an explanation for Stan being "written off". It is M+T's way of saying that
writing off Stan/family is one of the only ways they can "save their britches" a.k.a save the show.
Sharon and Randy's argument was a reflection of the last few years of the show. The part were Sharon was saying how every week the same plot happens with just more craziness is a reflection of recent episodes, and when Randy said "sharon I'm just afraid because I've realized that I don't have much time left" is an illusion to the fact that M+T are probably contracted till 2013 which is only 2 more seasons. They want to stop the direction that south park has been going in as of recent years, and they want to turn it around and make higher quality episodes. Stan being written off or at least separated from the main cast is a way for them to write in a whole new slew of "good" material. That huge, void gap left by Stan's departure is a huge opportunity for M+T to write up some funny ass sh*t. I don't think that the show will
end after 15, but I do think it will end at 17 with a big final film and a killer season finale. The part where Sharon and Randy are saying "I think you've gotten kind of sh*tty, I think you've gotten kind of sh*tty too" is M+T's feelings about the show getting kind of sh*tty in their opinion. And the reference to the tween period being 2009-2013 is probably M+T calling those years (and years to come) "tween" period of lower quality episodes...or something like that at least. The part where Randy says "sharon your just feel old after
your son has turned 10 years old" could be a reflection on M+T feeling the show start to get stale after 10 years. I have a feeling that the old guys will be back sometime during 15B maybe breaking into somewhere and "freeing the britches". So to sum it all up, IMO south park isn't ending for 15 but probably around 17, and M+T realize this and want to start really bringing back the quality of the episodes found in earlier years. The reason why they are probably having us vote on our favorite 15 is because
they are probably going to make a final top 15 averaged from all the users votes and then analyze the best qualities about those 15 "top episodes" and try to apply those qualities to future episodes to add more of the zest lost along the way. That is why
they are calling this the year of the fan because they are giving back to the fans with more higher quality episodes. Thanks for reading=)
tessalation13

Postby tessalation13 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:31 am

I also have to thank you Meg. At first it did seem like there was some underlying message. But you definitely helped clear my head.

Also this interview http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-j ... matt-stone is pretty good. Straight from the horses mouth is always best.

Return to “General South Park Discussion”