Taking a Poll... Anyone actually like the 'Coon' espisodes??

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

dmabry2009

Re: Taking a Poll... Anyone actually like the 'Coon' espisod

Postby dmabry2009 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:47 pm

YES. I loved them. Absolutely LOVED them. They were funny as hell, like they always are. My favorite part was when they killed Justin Bieber. BUT there were some parts that I was like 'what the hell' but overall I thought they were great. I do miss the earlier episodes. Although, the newer seasons have been hilarious and downright amazing I miss the crappier annimation. I do feel like Matt and Trey have been preoccupied and rather busy with "The Book of Mormon" though. I'm sure it's a lot to handle and dealing with that and trying to think of new episodes of South Park. I love everything those two do and anything related to SP. I am a fan for life.
JVM

Postby JVM » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:41 am

^ I think the Justin Bieber scene's a bit overrated since M&T really don't make fun of him. They simply kill him and that's it.

I think the main reason people dislike the Coon trilogy is due to the lack of humor in "Mysterion Rises" - but that's really why I liked it so much at first - it was an attempt at a serious, dramatic episode, with laughs confined to the subplot. Which really isn't as bad a thing as people make it out to be. Nonetheless, I retrospectively have to grade it down since it was really just setup for the joke of "Coon vs. Coon and Friends."

As I said in another thread, the whole storyline could very easily be condensed into two episodes.
South Park is a platform for Matt and Trey's social commentary and satire; there is no canon and these characters only serve as tools for self-expression. Don't get attached.
Viraldi

Postby Viraldi » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:02 am

Did anyone else notice the similarity of The Coon`s behavior towards The Dark Lord Cthulhu and a scene of the youngest daughter`s behavior towards Totoro in the movie "My Neighbor, Totoro."?
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:43 am

Yes, I believe that was brought up in the post-air discussion thread.
Karlfred

Postby Karlfred » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:41 pm

JVM wrote:^ I think the Justin Bieber scene's a bit overrated since M&T really don't make fun of him. They simply kill him and that's it.

I think the main reason people dislike the Coon trilogy is due to the lack of humor in "Mysterion Rises" - but that's really why I liked it so much at first - it was an attempt at a serious, dramatic episode, with laughs confined to the subplot. Which really isn't as bad a thing as people make it out to be. Nonetheless, I retrospectively have to grade it down since it was really just setup for the joke of "Coon vs. Coon and Friends."

As I said in another thread, the whole storyline could very easily be condensed into two episodes.

Or even one. Previously they've been able to make the plot go along very smoothly, with a lot of things happening even before the first commercial break. Now, they just drag everything out - a whole episode could be summarized with 3 minutes of screentime. If they had somehow managed to condense this entire series into 1 episode, it'd have been great.
The Silver Banana

Postby The Silver Banana » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:16 pm

I have childish interests. Of course I loved them. Those episodes appealed to my love of suspense and guessing what happened before and what comes next.

Who cares if they had less time for jokes? Seeing Kenny finally seem to care about all this after 14 years of getting thrown around was obviously part of the humor.

I love all the dramatic twists and turns they've had in recent years, especially when taking their own stuff, making it all suspenseful, and leaving it even funnier than if they'd just ignored it. And the best part is, now we have to take the creative genius of South Park, of all shows, seriously.

The show just keeps getting better and better by the half-season.

Postby Ye Black Knight » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:47 am

Verily, for these tales of heroism bring forth great chuckles to this humble knight. Fearsome foes from another dimension, unleashed upon South Park by DP, as they ravage their way through South Park, emmit'eth purest screams of delight and adulation.

"Praise the Dark Kthulu! Long May He Reign!"

This Post Now Concludeth!
zzyzx 1

Postby zzyzx 1 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:36 am

That was a big post (font size), Ye Black Knight :wink:

Last night, on a new Thanksgiving at my house, we watched from DVR all three of these past Coon and Friends episodes. Yes, we all liked them :)
kivaki

Postby kivaki » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:34 am

I loved the Coon episodes, especially because of Mysterion. Kenny finally gets airtime, and ends up being one of the most badass fourth graders ever.
halod9

Postby halod9 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:17 am

Yes, I liked the episodes. But I think part 3's ending (and the ending of the Coon saga - thusly) was seriously rushed. The entirety of the trilogy was great, in my opinion. But the ending of it all was just so sudden and seemed so rushed.

The big battle with Cthulhu you probably were expecting at the end was just...dull. Infact, it was no big battle at all.

Compared to how awesome the rest of it was, the ending was kind of a slap to the face. Otherwise, yeah. I dug the trilogy quite a bit.
Jayboner

Postby Jayboner » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:56 pm

Ok to all the people saying they "liked" these episodes, maybe you liked them compared to say, an episode of Two and a Half Men, but compared to an actually GOOD episode of SP (cartmanland, imaginationland, go god go, Awesome-O, The Death of Eric Cartman, Kenny Dies, Cartoon Wars, hell even Medicinal Fried Chicken, to name but a few)... let's be serious, they were f*cking retarded. Period. The cultural references were out-dated and I guarantee would have been unfunny if they'd been aired 'on time,' the storyline felt like it was shambled together in the writing room about three hours before air time (especially compared to any other SP two or three parters).
IHeartKennyMcCormick

Postby IHeartKennyMcCormick » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:04 am

Jayboner wrote:Ok to all the people saying they "liked" these episodes, maybe you liked them compared to say, an episode of Two and a Half Men, but compared to an actually GOOD episode of SP (cartmanland, imaginationland, go god go, Awesome-O, The Death of Eric Cartman, Kenny Dies, Cartoon Wars, hell even Medicinal Fried Chicken, to name but a few)... let's be serious, they were f*cking retarded.

1. People are intitled to their own opinions. Like, I loved the Imaginationland triology, but find some things about it WAY to overrated.
2. I don't even watch Two and Half Men
3. Awesome-O? Really?

Jayboner wrote:The cultural references were out-dated and I guarantee would have been unfunny if they'd been aired 'on time,' the storyline felt like it was shambled together in the writing room about three hours before air time (especially compared to any other SP two or three parters.).

1. What excactly do you consider "on-time?"
2. You know, if you actully knew how M&T worked, you'd know some of their greatest ideas come from about 3 hours before the episode airs~
3. Cartoon Wars was Kyle vs. Cartman the whole time, and was another episode about Muhummad. Not that good. Imaginationland, while still excellent, has been very overrated by a bunch of fans. 200/201, I loved the refrences to all the old episodes, but the fact that it was again focused on Muhummad ruined the WHOLE two-parter.
4. The Coon and Friends Saga has good character developement, funny jokes, and revealed Mysterion's idenity. So, explan to me how you find it stupid? I would LOVE to hear your opinion... :gaykenny:
Butters Best Moment: I like that Boom Boom Pow...

Kenny's Best Moment: PHFFFT ALL OF THEM!
I love K2: Kyle x Kenny. And Cartters: Cartman x Butters. All other couples don't really matter.
I Dont Belong

Postby I Dont Belong » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:53 am

I loved the Coon episodes. Mysterion being Kenny was great and I like how he never got to understand his powers. The Mintberrycrunch part was great too. The only thing I didnt like was Captain Hindsight and Im glad he didnt make it to the 3rd episode. To me this whole season has been great.
zzyzx 1

Postby zzyzx 1 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:13 pm

I Dont Belong wrote:I loved the Coon episodes. Mysterion being Kenny was great and I like how he never got to understand his powers. The Mintberrycrunch part was great too. The only thing I didnt like was Captain Hindsight and Im glad he didnt make it to the 3rd episode. To me this whole season has been great.

Yeah, I liked how only Kenny's power of not being able to die (which we knew from season 1) AND Bradley's power of berries with the tasty hint of mint was the power that saved the day :D

I've said it before: I really liked all four 'Coon' episodes.
TheViolentLolita

Postby TheViolentLolita » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:45 pm

Honestly, I liked the main idea, but they threw in so much unnecessary crap in that by the end I was glad they were over. I liked the kenny/mysterion plot, but it could have been done in a different way in one-two episodes. The other kids as super heros were just there so MNT could dress up the other kids as super heros, they did NOTHING. The cartman-cathulu plot was trash, I didn't find it funny at all, just disturbing. The lebron james joke was ok the first time, but unnecessary the second and third time. Sadly it was kinda too late to do the BP joke, at the beginning of the season it would have been ok, but it was too late when these episodes came around, making the joke unnecessary and stupid. Another Coon vs. Mysterion episode would have been good, but the way they did it just ruined the original episode. If they wanted to do another serious episode about Kenny, they should have just done that and left the crap out. Just my opinion though.

Return to “General South Park Discussion”