Worst season ever?

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

Brendle

Re: Worst season ever?

Postby Brendle » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:53 am

Um, no. Sorry, but the first season just sucked.

There was no satire. There was no point to any of the shows.

There was no REASON for the crude vulgarities...they were just there for the sake of offending.

Okay, maybe there was a bit of cleverness in "Death" where the Terrence & Phillip show mirrored their own show, but there was NOTHING else.

It was a show for children.
My name is Brendle, and I think Trey Parker is a genius.
Zazaban

Postby Zazaban » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:49 pm

Brendle wrote:Um, no. Sorry, but the first season just sucked.

Plenty of people like the first season. You are not the god of funny.
skurtz wrote:
nwt000 wrote:Get your trolling ass out of here!

I'm more friendlier drinking some espresso.
Brendle

Postby Brendle » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:29 am

Zazaban wrote:

I know.

You are entitled to like the first season. I'm also entitled to disagree.

Maybe it's something about my tone that seems a bit dogmatic/dismissive...but I do respect people's opinions.
Brendle

Postby Brendle » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:22 pm

VACOOLA wrote:
Brendle wrote:The 8th season was also very flat, IMO.

Very very flat? I mean, how flat is that? Is it "very flat" like flatter than the flattest flat, times infinity? Or is it more "very flat" like Ben Affleck's flat face, which is only flat because M&T say it reminds them a pan cake?

Good mockery of my word choice, BTW.

I should have said "8th season was also flat."
nick1c

Postby nick1c » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:59 pm

-.- -.- -.- allright i c alot of ppl flaming the 1st season and all i have to say is do u remember watching sp for the first time? i know i was amazed that cardboard cuts could b as funny as they were and without the first season you got nuttin think of that ..........

ps. the season they lost chef was the worst not because it wasent funny but because youll never c chef getting in trouble for singing a song about masterbation or an erection :P
capt_falcone

Postby capt_falcone » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:49 pm

Brendle wrote:There was no satire.

1. There was satire, it was just more subtle.

2. You're point? Satire is towards the bottom of the comedy spectrum, many forms of comedy are much better. Making fun of modern every day things is not funny when everybody already recognizes the flaws in what is being satirized. Satire is only funny when it's either done in a subtle way (there is nothing subtle about South Park satire) or when it involves subjects that are not mainstream and can only be recognized by people who know what ever subculture is being satirized.
<opinion of course>
http://myanimelist.net/profile/capt_falcone

That's right, a mothafuckin bunny!

I say the whole world must learn of our peaceful ways. By force!
Zazaban

Postby Zazaban » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:31 pm

Brendle wrote:
Zazaban wrote:

I know.

You are entitled to like the first season. I'm also entitled to disagree.

Maybe it's something about my tone that seems a bit dogmatic/dismissive...but I do respect people's opinions.

Yes you do sound very dismissive; if you don't actually feel that way you may want to work on that.
skurtz wrote:

Brendle

Postby Brendle » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:18 am

capt_falcone wrote:1. There was satire, it was just more subtle.

Where? Point it out for me. Don't cite "Death" either.

capt_falcone wrote:2. You're point? Satire is towards the bottom of the comedy spectrum, many forms of comedy are much better. Making fun of modern every day things is not funny when everybody already recognizes the flaws in what is being satirized. Satire is only funny when it's either done in a subtle way (there is nothing subtle about South Park satire) or when it involves subjects that are not mainstream and can only be recognized by people who know what ever subculture is being satirized.
<opinion of course>

This is so...UGH.

"Satire's only good when it's not mainstream, yo! It's only good when they mock obscure subcultures, yo!" You're like those annoying underground music fans who hate anything on radio just because it's on radio.

Tell me what forms of comedy are much better. Satire is the only thing that draws me to comedy. People who point and laugh at ideas/people/things in the world and expose them for how absurd/stupid they are...the world NEEDS that.

Tell me what there is in season 1. Please tell me the smart intelligent humor in season 1. I'd LOVE to know.

Even Matt and Trey disagree with you. They've admitted that (paraphrasing) "we were just two guys from Colorado trying to say a bunch of bad words on the TV...we weren't writers and we didn't write stories."

Zazaban wrote:Yes you do sound very dismissive; if you don't actually feel that way you may want to work on that.

Yeah, whatever. :roll:

Just kidding. Will work on it.
Zazaban

Postby Zazaban » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:06 am

Brendle wrote:
capt_falcone wrote:1. There was satire, it was just more subtle.

Where? Point it out for me. Don't cite "Death" either.

Off the top of my head, Weight Gain 2000 mocked trust in ridiculous products seen in T.V. ads, and overhype of minor B-celebrities, Volcano did hunting laws.

There is less satire though. There was more emphasis, in the early seasons, on surreal and absurdist humor than on satire. That's a kind of humor different from both random vulgarity and satirical commentary. Like the nonsensical resolution of City on The Edge of Forever and some of Kenny's more out-there deaths. That kind of stuff can be very funny without having any point and without being MacFarlane-esque bullsh*t either, early South Park being an example, another being Monty Python (a huge influence on South Park.)
skurtz wrote:

Brendle

Postby Brendle » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:18 am

Zazaban wrote:Off the top of my head, Weight Gain 2000 mocked trust in ridiculous products seen in T.V. ads, and overhype of minor B-celebrities, Volcano did hunting laws.

You're kind of reaching here. Anything can be seen as a mockery of something, but was the mockery really intentional?

You could argue the people supporting Jesus in his boxing match with Satan in "Damien" are a satire of religious fanatacism. But really...it's just a boxing match with Jesus and Satan.

Weight Gain 2000 was more just to show that Cartman is stupid, getting suckered into buying it. The B-celebrities...okay, you have a point there. They lampooned Sally Struthers and Barbara Streisand and that was clearly satirical.

Zazaban wrote:There is less satire though. There was more emphasis, in the early seasons, on surreal and absurdist humor than on satire. That's a kind of humor different from both random vulgarity and satirical commentary.

Yes, you're correct. But the surreal/absurdist humor gets old after a while. That sort of stuff is easy to write and I think Matt and Trey realized that.

They used to split their episodes into 3 or 4 plots and there was never really any meaning/point to the shows.

In seasons 4-7, the show had BOTH: satire AND surreal/absurdist humor. You'd have satire like the Giant Douche vs. Turd satirizing the election...then you'd have the surreal/absurd, like "The Biggest Douche in the Universe" awards ceremony.

Zazaban wrote: Like the nonsensical resolution of City on The Edge of Forever and some of Kenny's more out-there deaths.

We still talking about season 1? That's not season 1.
Zazaban

Postby Zazaban » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:27 am

Brendle wrote:
Zazaban wrote: Like the nonsensical resolution of City on The Edge of Forever and some of Kenny's more out-there deaths.

We still talking about season 1? That's not season 1.

No, I was referring to 'the earlier seasons' in general at that point.
skurtz wrote:

Brendle

Postby Brendle » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:15 am

Right. 2 was definitely an improvement, but still not all that good.

3 was where they found their voice.
Stan_Fan

Postby Stan_Fan » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:10 pm

it get's worse... first seasons were fun it was all about kids and their funny problems and wrong understanding... now it's like Randy taking the biggest crap and such stupid things...
Yes, I have watched every single episode of South Park.
nick1c

Postby nick1c » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:25 pm

i agree wt stan fan the first season might not have the storyline your looking for but it was a show that was made for kids and i think if you were all 12 years old again you would c what you saw in it back then :mrgreen:
Brendle

Postby Brendle » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:25 pm

nick1c wrote:i agree wt stan fan the first season might not have the storyline your looking for but it was a show that was made for kids and i think if you were all 12 years old again you would c what you saw in it back then :mrgreen:

This is what is called "nostalgic value" or "sentimental value."

If you take that away and look at the season for what it is, it's just not very good.

Return to “General South Park Discussion”