Trey Parker's Personal Beliefs

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

Big-Will
Board Moderator
Posts: 18855
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 8:57 am

Re: Trey Parker's Personal Beliefs

Postby Big-Will » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:14 am

Joeshmo93 wrote:they used to be mormon, now all they do is make fun of them. It is very annoying but I love this show so much!

Neither of them was ever Mormon, but they grew up in places that had lots of Mormons in them, and Trey dated a few Mormon chicks.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
JayDrew
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:34 pm

Re: Trey Parker's Personal Beliefs

Postby JayDrew » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:09 pm

Anyway.....

I found a rather good interview with Matt and Trey done by Penn Jilette. In this part of the interview they talk about their beliefs regarding the 9/11 conspiracy. Though I thought Trey's thoughts on this were pretty clear, here they are:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiG5-n-Gpg0

This was more or less what I was hoping for from you guys and though that never happened it gives me a good idea for another topic.
italiano425
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:09 am

Re: Trey Parker's Personal Beliefs

Postby italiano425 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:51 pm

Trey Parker and Mat Stone are probably two of the smartest americans out there. Most people only see South Park for it's funny and disgusting stuff. They don't see the educational values of South Park. For example I don't know who does their research before they attack a "word" or "celebrity" but, they are on key with everything. I love South Park and I watch it every single day. I also advocate it to everybody hahaha
Wii fit man
Posts: 11153
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:10 pm

Re: Trey Parker's Personal Beliefs

Postby Wii fit man » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:31 pm

TroneS wrote:I actually created an account to respond to this.
Global warming is pointless to care about b/c the longest people really live is like 60-100 yrs, and 100 yrs from now its not gonna be that much warmer even if global warming is true. So who really gives a sh*t, and i think thats why they made fun of it, b/c its stupid to even waste time debating it.

That's just selfish. "Oh, it's only going to hurt other people, not me, so why should I care?"

And no, global warming will NOT kill us all. We're quite adaptable creatures; there's no reason we can't adapt to a warmer planet. As for the other species, well, if we lose them, we lose them. If we want to save them, we should take steps to do so, or we already are taking steps.
We won't have to adapt to a warmer planet. We'll have to adapt to an underwater planet. That's the worst-case scenario. Also, once again, "If we lose them, we lose them" is selfish.

You want qualifications?

http://www.heartland.org/events/NewYork ... viewAd.pdf

A drastic change in temperature in the Earth occurs over billions of years during which the Sun gradually expands until it explodes and becomes a dwarf star.

Brendle...I'm not going to beat around a bush, and I don't care how people will think of me for saying this...

You are a f*cking IDIOT.


So he's a "fucking IDIOT" because you have one source that disagrees with him? There are a ton of sources for either side.

Trey Parker has no qualifications in science and has no idea what he's talking about. Therefore, he shouldn't be talking about it.

That's not fair. Everybody is entitled to their opinion, no matter how qualified they are.

What makes you an idiot is you're debating whether global warming is actually happening. A legitimate question would be to ask whether global warming is man-made or not.
While I think that global warming itself isn't debatable (What is whether it is manmade or not), calling someone an "idiot" is a huge faux pas in a rational debate.

No, he doesn't like the show when it was young either, only seasons 10 and 11. So he started out as an idiot, briefly became smart, and now is an idiot again.

Seriously? Coming from the person who said "being nasty isn't a debate tactic"? Wow. -_-

His explanation of global warming is that America is afraid of small nations that are about to become rich thanks to oil and other things that cause polution, so they say that everyone should make this much smaller because of 'global warming'...


That's kind of irrational. Not everything is planned out by the government.

As TMX and others have said, this is too complicated. It's an argument for the experts. As far as I'm concerned, either side could be wrong.
effses: Austin confirmed for turbo homosexual
Pip Tweek
Posts: 5101
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:15 am

Re: Trey Parker's Personal Beliefs

Postby Pip Tweek » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:48 pm

TroneS wrote:I actually created an account to respond to this.
Global warming is pointless to care about b/c the longest people really live is like 60-100 yrs, and 100 yrs from now its not gonna be that much warmer even if global warming is true. So who really gives a sh*t, and i think thats why they made fun of it, b/c its stupid to even waste time debating it.


You joined the BBS just to respond with THIS?...

Since words fail me....

Image

............................................________
....................................,.-'"...................``~.,
.............................,.-"..................................."-.,
.........................,/...............................................":,
.....................,?......................................................,
.................../...........................................................,}
................./......................................................,:`^`..}
.............../...................................................,:"........./
..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
............./__.(....."~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_...."~,_........"~,_....................,:`........_/
..........{.._$;_......"=,_......."-,_.......,.-~-,},.~";/....}
...........((.....*~_......."=-._......";,,./`..../"............../
...,,,___.`~,......"~.,....................`.....}............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-"
............/.`~,......`-...................................../
.............`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....,__
,,_..........}.>-._...................................|..............`=~-,
.....`=~-,__......`,.................................
...................`=~-,,.,...............................
................................`:,,...........................`..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_..........._,-%.......`
...................................,

Make that a triple facepalm.
triplemultiplex
Posts: 6124
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:24 am

Re: Trey Parker's Personal Beliefs

Postby triplemultiplex » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:27 pm

Wii fit man wrote:..calling someone an "idiot" is a huge faux pas in a rational debate.


Ad hominem is the name for the logical fallacy associated with name calling. It speaks to the idea that a person's argument is flawed due to some aspect (or perceived aspect) of their personality or physical appearance or anything like that. It's a distraction from the actual issue being discussed.

Wii fit man wrote:As TMX and others have said, this is too complicated. It's an argument for the experts. As far as I'm concerned, either side could be wrong.


Except that the experts rendered their verdict on the anthropogenic nature of climate change a long time ago. The debate only continues due to the socio-economic implications of this reality. And the general lack of knowledge for people who are not experts on climatology severely hampers their ability to reach an informed conclusion. I'm sure it was hard for many people in the Northeast to worry too much about global warming this past weekend due to the WEATHER they were having.
__________________________________________________

You read it! You can't unread it!
Brendle
Posts: 583
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:26 pm

Re: Trey Parker's Personal Beliefs

Postby Brendle » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:32 am

triplemultiplex wrote:
Wii fit man wrote:..calling someone an "idiot" is a huge faux pas in a rational debate.


Ad hominem is the name for the logical fallacy associated with name calling. It speaks to the idea that a person's argument is flawed due to some aspect (or perceived aspect) of their personality or physical appearance or anything like that. It's a distraction from the actual issue being discussed.

Wrong. It only becomes an ad hominem when I assert/imply that his arguments are wrong because he's an idiot. That is a logical fallacy. I never did that, though.

Me calling him an idiot is just non-sequitur...it's a personal attack. It neither strengthens nor weakens my argument.

Not that I had an argument to begin with, LOL.

Wii fit man wrote:
Zazaban wrote:No, he doesn't like the show when it was young either, only seasons 10 and 11. So he started out as an idiot, briefly became smart, and now is an idiot again.

Seriously? Coming from the person who said "being nasty isn't a debate tactic"? Wow. -_-

She's not calling me an idiot or being nasty.

She's summarizing (incorrectly) my views on Trey's intelligence as the series has progressed.
My name is Brendle, and I think Trey Parker is a genius.
Frosty_D
Posts: 843
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Trey Parker's Personal Beliefs

Postby Frosty_D » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:15 am

Wii fit man wrote:
And no, global warming will NOT kill us all. We're quite adaptable creatures; there's no reason we can't adapt to a warmer planet. As for the other species, well, if we lose them, we lose them. If we want to save them, we should take steps to do so, or we already are taking steps.
We won't have to adapt to a warmer planet. We'll have to adapt to an underwater planet. That's the worst-case scenario. Also, once again, "If we lose them, we lose them" is selfish.


*Sigh* No we won't, the worst is probably a few inches of extra water.



Hm... now back to Trey's beliefs, do you think he believes in the power of Barbra? :p
VACOOLA
Posts: 666
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: Trey Parker's Personal Beliefs

Postby VACOOLA » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:18 am

My goth, this thing lives again! :o

Okie dokie, then. Let's play some more.

Brendle wrote:
triplemultiplex wrote:
Wii fit man wrote:..calling someone an "idiot" is a huge faux pas in a rational debate.


Ad hominem is the name for the logical fallacy associated with name calling. It speaks to the idea that a person's argument is flawed due to some aspect (or perceived aspect) of their personality or physical appearance or anything like that. It's a distraction from the actual issue being discussed.

Wrong. It only becomes an ad hominem when I assert/imply that his arguments are wrong because he's an idiot. That is a logical fallacy. I never did that, though.

You really think so? How about this one:

Brendle wrote:Trey Parker has no qualifications in science and has no idea what he's talking about. Therefore, he shouldn't be talking about it.

I don't expect you to directly admit being wrong here, since it will obviously damage your ego beyond repair. But maybe you could just wink once if you still insist that Trey (as well as everyone else) shouldn't talk about issues he's not "qualified" in, and wink twice if you don't.

Comprendes? :wink:
Wii fit man
Posts: 11153
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:10 pm

Re: Trey Parker's Personal Beliefs

Postby Wii fit man » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:27 am

Brendle wrote:
triplemultiplex wrote:
Wii fit man wrote:..calling someone an "idiot" is a huge faux pas in a rational debate.


Ad hominem is the name for the logical fallacy associated with name calling. It speaks to the idea that a person's argument is flawed due to some aspect (or perceived aspect) of their personality or physical appearance or anything like that. It's a distraction from the actual issue being discussed.

Wrong. It only becomes an ad hominem when I assert/imply that his arguments are wrong because he's an idiot. That is a logical fallacy. I never did that, though.

Me calling him an idiot is just non-sequitur...it's a personal attack. It neither strengthens nor weakens my argument.



Actually, it does weaken your argument, just because it gives off the air that you're a dick. Nobody lets a dick really win an argument, although they sometimes walk away when they don't feel like talking to them anymore.

I'm not saying that's what you are, I'm saying that you're making it seem like you are.
effses: Austin confirmed for turbo homosexual
Brendle
Posts: 583
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:26 pm

Re: Trey Parker's Personal Beliefs

Postby Brendle » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:25 am

VACOOLA wrote:
Brendle wrote:Trey Parker has no qualifications in science and has no idea what he's talking about. Therefore, he shouldn't be talking about it.

I don't expect you to directly admit being wrong here, since it will obviously damage your ego beyond repair. But maybe you could just wink once if you still insist that Trey (as well as everyone else) shouldn't talk about issues he's not "qualified" in, and wink twice if you don't.

Comprendes? :wink:

Yep, that's an ad hominem. Bingo.

I said Trey Parker's never done a science degree therefore what he's saying about science is invalid, even if what he's saying COULD be valid if it's backed up by credible evidence. So yeah, that was a logical fallacy on my part.

Wii Fit Man, even if someone's a dick, they can still clown you in an argument. I think Richard Dawkins is a bit of a dick but he'll destroy you in an argument about evolution.

Saying "the sum of the square of sine and the square of cosine is equal to 1" is no weaker a statement than saying "the sum of the square of sine and the square of cosine is equal to 1, you stupid assh*le."
My name is Brendle, and I think Trey Parker is a genius.
Zazaban
Posts: 3280
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:32 am

Re: Trey Parker's Personal Beliefs

Postby Zazaban » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:13 pm

Brendle wrote:Saying "the sum of the square of sine and the square of cosine is equal to 1" is no weaker a statement than saying "the sum of the square of sine and the square of cosine is equal to 1, you stupid assh*le."

No, but the latter is less likely to get you anywhere because nobody will want to listen to you.
skurtz wrote:
nwt000 wrote:Get your trolling ass out of here!

I'm more friendlier drinking some espresso.
triplemultiplex
Posts: 6124
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:24 am

Re: Trey Parker's Personal Beliefs

Postby triplemultiplex » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:32 pm

Moving this topic forward then, a subject where Trey's own views seem to be different from my own is in the area of abortion/stem cell research. Assuming I'm correctly understanding the episodes where these subjects come up. My impression is that Trey is opposed to both even though they are unrelated.

On the issue of abortion, there's a recurring theme of characters with cavalier attitudes about abortion.
Liane Cartman bangs a bunch of politicians so she can get a "20th trimester abortion".
Woodland Critters give Kyle and abortion.
Fatass's wrestling character is addicted to abortions.
Garrison talks about getting to have an abortion after his sex change.
There was the That's My Bush episode where one of the characters is an aborted fetus.

Repeated portrayal of abortion in this mocking way leads me to conclude that Trey is against abortion to some degree. For me personally, it comes down to "rare, safe and legal".

Trey disappoints me more when it comes to embryonic stem cells. They portray both Eric Cartman and Christopher Reeve using stem cells for evil. This marginalizes some groundbreaking research that will lay the groundwork of medical science for generations.

More importantly, I'm upset at their false assertion that embryonic stem cells are harvested from aborted fetuses when that's simply not true. Theses stem cells are taken from embryos left over from invitro fertilization. The vast majority of the embryos used for research are no longer viable due to the storage process and would otherwise be medical waste.

So given a choice between using these embryos for research and flushing them down the toilet, that's an easy choice for me at least.
__________________________________________________

You read it! You can't unread it!
Brendle
Posts: 583
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:26 pm

Re: Trey Parker's Personal Beliefs

Postby Brendle » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:00 am

Zazaban wrote:
Brendle wrote:Saying "the sum of the square of sine and the square of cosine is equal to 1" is no weaker a statement than saying "the sum of the square of sine and the square of cosine is equal to 1, you stupid assh*le."

No, but the latter is less likely to get you anywhere because nobody will want to listen to you.

Yeah, well the person I called an idiot (VACOOLA) was being a dick to me in his post and in another thread.

I never attack people without provocation.
My name is Brendle, and I think Trey Parker is a genius.
M00ndragon69
Posts: 9593
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2003 4:32 am

Re: Trey Parker's Personal Beliefs

Postby M00ndragon69 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:46 am

I don't know..I think maybe you are reading too much into what is said on the show about stem cell research and abortion. I think a lot of what was said was meant to be shocking or controversial, but not necessarily meant to be telling people how they should think about the issue. I mean, if they were really preaching that everyone should be pro life, then, the lion cubs wouldn't have been giving Kyle an abortion in A Woodland Critter Christmas. Like if you are really against abortion, wouldn't that mean, you were even against it if it meant that it would prevent the anti Christ from being born? Also, you are forgetting that on that episode, we find out at the end that it was a story Cartman wrote, so that means that what happens in that story is from his point of view, and it is pretty obvious we are meant to think that Cartman is pretty f*cked up.
Image

Return to “General South Park Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest