Who is the main character of South Park?

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

Stanluv25

Re: Who is the main character of South Park?

Postby Stanluv25 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:06 am

^ I learned something today is no doubt Stan's line more than Kyle's. He used it far more often in the other seasons. No one says it often anymore in the past few seasons now. Sure Kyle may have said it the last couple times but it is still more a Stan line. He's the one they made a t-shirt with it, not Kyle! :wink:

But in terms of absolute #1 main boy- the boy that the show belongs to- if there had to be one would be Stan or Cartman. Kyle cannot be the #1 main as there are simply not enough episode based off him or his family. Stan and Cartman have plenty. Kyle reacts off what those two are doing more than anything a lot of the time.

Stan is #1 main protagonist, Cartman is #1 main antagonist. So in a way, they both share the #1 spot equally. :wink:
I love: Stan, Butters, Cartman, Sharon.

I ship: Stan/Cartman <3

Stan: MMOOMM!!
Sharon: What is it honey? (gasp!) My baby's killed again!
Haa, I love that line.
Brendle

Postby Brendle » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:23 pm

The "I learned something today" thing was meant to be Kyle's thing but it's a 50/50 split between Stan and Kyle.

There's absolutely no way Kyle is a contender for main character. Not enough screen time or enough episodes based on him.

It's either Stan or Cartman...and I'm going with Cartman.

Whenever most people think of South Park, they think of Cartman straight away. He is the icon/emblem of South Park. He is also M&T's favorite.
My name is Brendle, and I think Trey Parker is a genius.
aerojockey

Postby aerojockey » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:48 pm

That's like asking whether Stephanie or Joey is the main character of Full House.

(The main character is obviously Butters.)

(And on Full House it's Kimmie.)
Ikilledkennyhah

Postby Ikilledkennyhah » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:05 pm

Doh. Its cartman.
COOLKID74

Postby COOLKID74 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:53 am

I think that Stan Kyle Kenny and Cartman cause they morely focus on them three :mrgreen:
Rainmaker_de

Postby Rainmaker_de » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:08 pm

Ok, campers, it looks like everything's now put into one pile: main character, each person's favorite character, the best character, etc. :wink:

Lets be more systematic here, plus look at the whole picture.

1. The main character of South Park. The whole show is viewed from his point of view, he and his family has been the back spine of the show from the beginning. It's Stan.Also, Trey Parker (Stan) is clearly the leader in the Trey-Matt duet.

Again, we are talking about the show in general. As for Kyle, he has always been the second man on the team. Take Stan and Kyle from the show, and it's gone.

2. The brightest and, probably, most important character on SP. Obviously, Cartman.

If you focus on single episodes, and base your argument on some particular episodes, you'll inevitably loose the whole picture.

In other words, think of South Park as Batman (Stan), Robin (Kyle) and Joker (Cartman). :mrgreen:
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:44 am

I don't know why I've been putting off replying here. The first time I saw this thread, I thought "well, there isn't one main character, it's the four boys. They just spend different amounts of time on screen. The second/last time I checked in, Cartman and Stan were being volleyed back and forth. As much as I still want to say it's still the main boys, things do still tend to lean toward Cartman.
Rajnica

Postby Rajnica » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:01 am

About Cartman's episodes The Coon , Coon and friends i don't like them much. I love the stans episodes more.:D
lollirot

Postby lollirot » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:55 am

I don't consider there one main star character no matter what anybody labels as. I think there's several main characters. Here's that list! Cartman, Stan, Kyle, Kenny, Butters, Wendy & Mr. Garrison. (And Chef before season 10) As far as I am concerned. Various situations can focus on any of these characters a great amount of time in South Park.
And everyone else is important to, for me. Whether they form plot, whether they speak very much...or ever, whether they have a name... unless they are total copypasta, then I find them important. :mrgreen:
I'm a minor character fan, proud background sniper and fiction addicted!
Fav-Characters Tweek, Terrance, Red

Snap Krackle Pop it in your mouth and wash it down your piehole with a tall and cold glass of shut the f*ck up :)
Brendle

Postby Brendle » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:48 am

Mr Garrison is not a main character. Wendy isn't either. Both of them are notable for frequent appearances in early seasons and very few appearances in recent: the opposite of Butters.

Wendy was prominent as Stan's love interest for the first three seasons but ever since then she's fallen by the wayside.

Chef USED to be the main adult character, but right now I'd say it's Randy Marsh.

Eric Cartman is the main character of South Park, with Stan a VERY close second. I couldn't quite pick between the two which is why I created this thread.

Cartman is the emblem of South Park...whenever people think of the show, his fat little face swims in their vision.
My name is Brendle, and I think Trey Parker is a genius.
Rawr South Park

Postby Rawr South Park » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:38 pm

Honestly, I think it's based on the town of "South Park" but it just focuses on certain characters in different episodes.
The Silver Banana

Postby The Silver Banana » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:22 am

(I know, I'm kind of a newbie here, but we Lyokotakus have asked the same question ourselves. Is it Aelita or Jeremie? Aw, screw it, make it the William Show!)

I'd say it's technically Stan, but Cartman took over by wanting to. Everything he does commands attention, because he does it in his nutty little "ooh! ooh! Look at me!" way. (Aw, screw it, make it the Mint-Berry Crunch Show!)

Postby gamegreak999 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:24 pm

After spending some time reading through all the posts on this thread, I've come to a conclusion.

See, I've learned something today. It doesn't matter who the main character is. If it weren't for all he familiar names and faces of South Park - Stan, Cartman, Kyle, Kenny, Butters, Brad, Tolken, Clyde, Craig, Jimmy, Timmy, Kevin, Wendy, Bebe, Red, Shelly, Ike, the Marshes, the Cartmans, the Brofloskis, the McKormicks, Jesus, Mr. Garrison, Mr. Mackie, Chef, Jimbo, Ned, Pricipal Victoria, the Mayor, and indeed all of the residents of South Park - the show just wouldn't be what it is today. We have all of these amazing characters to thank for the show we all are disciples of. Without the whole town of South Park, the show just wouldn't feel right, and I think that makes ALL of the people of South Park equally important.

P.S.
FREE EPISODE 200/201!
clydefrog4963

Postby clydefrog4963 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:58 am

Well, lets start at the beginning. In "cartman gets an anal probe" MY OPINION is that Kyle was the main character. In volcano, I would have to pick Kenny as the main character, possibly stan. In weigh gain 4000, cartman is obviously the main character.

Mr. Hankey The Christmas Poo: Kyle
Big Gay Al's....: Stan
Starvin Marvin: Cartman
Cartmans mom is a dirty slut: Cartman

Then in some episodes it's hard to pick a main character because there are two different plots with 2 main people per plot (Like stan/kyle cartman/kenny in Clubhouses and Cartman and Kenny in Cartman Joins Nambla). There are a lot of episodes where they are all pretty much the plot (cow days, chef aid, korn's groovey..., good times with weapons, toilet paper. etc).

I mean
Chef has been a main character a few times
Butters a few times
Creig
Jimmy and Timmy
Jimmy
Token
Mr. Garrison a few times
Pip
Terrence and Philip
Randy

etc etc, thats just off the top of my head. I would say that stan, kyle, cartman, and kenny are the main characters, although I think butters probably is more of a main character than kenny these days. Cartman is probably the character focused on the most though.
Pro-Choice vs. Cartman
Pro-Gun Control vs. Cartman
People Against The Clubbing Of Baby Seals vs. Cartman

My SP Collection: http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n104 ... 010192.jpg
John_117

Postby John_117 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:40 am

Where's Kenny in this discussion?

I mean I find the main character Stan because he's just the moral dude, but the most important is Cartman because he is just Cartman. Kyle is another important guy because sometimes, their conflicts can have an effect on the storyline. Kenny isn't even the main character anymore, and despite some recent comebacks, I never see much of him.

Return to “General South Park Discussion”