The Simpsons vs Family Guy vs South Park who wins?

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

GeminiShamrock

Re: The Simpsons vs Family Guy vs South Park who wins?

Postby GeminiShamrock » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:02 am

I grew up with the Simpsons, started watching South Park when I was a sophomore in high school, and started watching Family Guy when I was a senior in high school.

The Simpsons - I quit watching it years ago. I got tired of it. The writing's gone downhill.
Family Guy - I can barely watch it now, but I find everything up to 2008 funny. Everything since is not so funny. Much like the Simpsons, the writing has gone downhill.
South Park - This has never failed to make me laugh. The writing is still excellent, and the show just seems to get better and better. Oh, and the guys can crank out an episode in a week's time so it's much more timely when it comes to current events.

The winner (in my opinon) - South Park.
Texas born; Texas raised; Texas proud!
REVERSE THE POLARITY OF THE NEUTRON FLOW! (Proud Doctor Who fan.)
Proud member of the Tin Foil Hat Club.
Jeff Murdock "Mopie" (1986-2013) Rest in peace, Mopie.
TKOaries

Postby TKOaries » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:03 pm

My ranking goes...

1) South Park
2) Aqua Teen Hunger Force
3) Futurama
4) Family Guy
5) American Dad
6) Simpsons (Rarely watch anymore)
7) Cleveland Show
8 ) Bob's Burgers
9) Clone Wars
10) Flintstones (reruns) lol
TrollCapAmerica

Postby TrollCapAmerica » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:03 pm

The Simpsons is an American institution and for good reason.Theres always been alot more good episodes than bad everyone can relate to Homer and worst case scenario even if Lisa wont Shut up its just going to be forgotten next episode.While strangely the lack of continuity becomes more funny when they do randomly recall things that happened before

Family Guy was pretty funny in a beer and pretzels sorta way.The the show got renewed by FOX became a hit and it went to McFarlanes head and it went from a funny goofy show to a douchebag liberals soapbox to tell us how stupid they find the rest of us.Like ok we get it Religion is the source of all evil in the universe and Sarah Palin is a dum-dum poopyhead we dont need 17 minutes an episode telling us that

When South Park Satires something its pretty relevant evenhanded and usually about putting things into perspective.Compare the whole Vote or die gag to slapping a Nazi label on Republicans and the vast gulf in talent and writing skill becomes pretty apparent

I thought American Dad also had its moments particularly the great Christmas episodes.Its just that it gets hard to enjoy when the apparently bad ass CIA agent has to suddenly get beaten up by children or worse ACTORS so we get reminded that right wingers are evil stupid weak failures at everything.

Futurama is probably closest to South park in quality especially after it got over the early very average episodes.The occasional episodes that irk me [Robosexuality.How subtle] dont outweigh the really good episodes its had during its run.and dont forget about Zoidberg

If im ranting I apologize I just joined and really wanted to analyze all this
Cristine478

Postby Cristine478 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:56 pm

South Park

but, I do not compare
I love south park
this first clip of the season 15 do not say much
cookiemonster211

Postby cookiemonster211 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:22 pm

South Park number one...followed by Family Guy. Simpsons...blech, washed up and not funny.
mde7

Postby mde7 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:53 am

of course most people will pick south park on a south park website

My thoughts are: South Park has stayed the most current and consistently funny out of all of them. Like Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia and other FX shows, South Park has finite times that it has new episodes every year. I mean, 13 or 14 out of 52 weeks with 6 or 7 weeks at a time, it generates an enhanced interest in the show.

Simpsons is still a quality show and hasn't lost much for me over the years. Still watch every week (that its new). Interesting that South Park has about 2 seasons then made its movie, whereas Simpsons had 19-20 until it made a movie. Perhaps it could have ended its run with the movie, it may have generated more buzz/money for it.

FAMILY GUY: Losing a lot of steam lately. There are CLeveland Show episodes consistently funnier than Family Guy now. Plus, the new ones are on so infrequently its difficult to follow and get into them.

Archer and Bob's Burgers have far surpassed Family Guy at this point.

The hallmark of a great show is how it holds up over time and how well each season builds upon the next. Making a top 15 south park episode list is quite an impossible task. There are so many I had to discard to make room for later episodes, but the core south park episodes had to stay, even though chocolate salty balls, cancelled, the scientology one, and probably 8 more had to be omitted in favor of some of the funniest 30 minutes ever on TV. I mean, ". . .this is America, America!"
ThePhenom14

Postby ThePhenom14 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:31 am

The Simpsons will always be a classic. I mean they carved the way for both South Park and Family Guy. They've been doing that over 20 years! However, I gotta say South Park did surpass The Simpsons in terms of intelligence and humor. South Park is the best of the three!!! Family guy is too random. jump from joke 2 joke. But they do have some funny moments. But Matt Stone and Trey Parker are geniuses :wink:
Tennesseebrett

Postby Tennesseebrett » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:48 am

It's embarassing to post something twice. I can't seem to find a way to delete one, but I can edit it....
Last edited by Tennesseebrett on Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
WyomingCowboy21

Postby WyomingCowboy21 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:27 am

It seems as though most of you are fairly young and therefore can't adequately track the years of cartoon awesomeness that is Sp, The Simpsons and Family guy( mostly sp and the simpsons) The Simpsons first aired in 89' or 90 and Sp debuted in August of 97. i first started watching the Simpsons in the early nineties and it has stayed consistently funny till a couple years ago and it still has its moments. I remember watching Cartman gets an anal probe live at the gleamy-eyed age age of 9-10 and thinking wow this is gonna be some good stuff and it has not disappointed in 15 years. as for family guy most people are right that the new stuff isnt as good, but they had some great and i mean great eps. and i know its just joke after joke but i like that, and at least they didnt get preachy and up their own asses w/ messages. seriously though Sp rules and will be great at least through a season 17. In the end there is only one series that i will actually plan on watching the moment new eps air and that is Sp and its been that way since good old 97'
gunbound7890

Postby gunbound7890 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:03 pm

mebun101 wrote::shock:

Maybe Iam Betting with the Southpark People Because The things they do are so jackass or maybe worst :twisted:
cynthia325

Postby cynthia325 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:09 pm

Favorite cartoons on tv:

1. South Park
2. Archer
3. Futurama

end of story :assface:
cynthia325

Postby cynthia325 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:12 pm

ThePhenom14 wrote:The Simpsons will always be a classic. I mean they carved the way for both South Park and Family Guy. They've been doing that over 20 years! However, I gotta say South Park did surpass The Simpsons in terms of intelligence and humor. South Park is the best of the three!!! Family guy is too random. jump from joke 2 joke. But they do have some funny moments. But Matt Stone and Trey Parker are geniuses :wink:

I second your genius statement about M&T :mrgreen:
donairs

Postby donairs » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:13 pm

I think even Trey and Matt would agree the Simpsons takes the top spot. The Simpsons did for cartoons what Richard Pryor and George Carlin did for stand up.

However I think The Simpsons, after about season 8 or 9, are not nearly as funny as South Park.
mebun101

Postby mebun101 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:39 pm

hey remember that episode on SP where they showed bart and FG wich is created by manatee that was funny :mrgreen:
Tennesseebrett

Postby Tennesseebrett » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:32 pm

I've watched The Simpsons since season 1, I caught the series debut of South Park, and I loosely kept up with Family Guy until that sh*t got cancelled. The Simpsons I ended up taking about a 5 year hiatus from, on account of I've watched it since I was 4 or 5, but I ended up getting back into it harder than I left it. South Park I've always loved and never really broke stride with. And Family Guy, I lost interest in when I realized damn near every plot, joke, or bit is latently ripped off from The Simpsons, South Park, or an 80's movie/music video. Not to say that The Simpsons or South Park, or any other great show or movie for that matter, are void of their fair share of homage, hell my #1 episode of South Park is Asspen and it's chock-full of homage, but these shows haven't made a career out of plagiarism and bad writing.
# 1 The Simpsons, but they are honestly one of my favorite things in the world in general.
# 2 South Park, I hope lasts just as long or longer than the Simpsons have.
# 3 Bob's Burgers, the best new cartoon comedy out there. And I refuse to put Family Guy so close to The Simpsons and South Park on any list.

Return to “General South Park Discussion”