Looks Like "201" will still be Censored

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

ckyfan55

Looks Like "201" will still be Censored

Postby ckyfan55 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:53 am

Not surprised

Finally, here's something that's likely to upset South Park fans: We've just gotten our hands on the Blu-ray release of Comedy Central Home Entertainment's South Park: The Complete Fourteenth Season, and while it does have the episodes 200 and 201, it includes both as aired on Comedy Central, with the 2-minute "moral of the story" from 201 bleeped out on all audio tracks. The subtitles for this portion of the episode say "BLEEP" the whole time. The episodes at least have mini-commentary from Trey Parker and Matt Stone, in which they address the controversy and the censorship, but even much of that is bleeped! I could be wrong, but I suspect that's actually a deliberate joke, given the tight spot Parker and Stone are in with regard to the issue. On the track, Parker actually says, "We really can't even talk about it here. Probably the thing we could talk about is just the fact that..." and then it's all BEEPED until the end of the commentary, when you hear Stone say "... And so that was basically it." Commentary over. Now, that's kind of funny. But couldn't Comedy Central have at LEAST let the actual episode dialogue through in subtitle form? Anything? To quote Cartman: "Lame."

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/mytwocentsa192.html#041811
JVM

Re: Looks Like "201" will still be Censored

Postby JVM » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:56 am

Pretty lame, I swear there was a press release the other day saying it was uncensored. I hope they at least unbleep Muhammad's name, that was f*cking annoying. But I'm even MORE pissed off the COMMENTARY got censored to. There goes something I was really looking forward to, hearing about why they decided to bring this and that back, like Pip.

(In semi-related news, Amazon.com says the DVD will include the original episode "The Coon", interestingly enough.)
RoxAss76

Postby RoxAss76 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:13 am

I think this whole thing is total BS. Honestly, to have this much censorship in America is wrong. If it is a joke, I'd want an official statement that all of this censorship over something that's controversial is an ironic joke, maybe by Trey and Matt, or by Comedy Central, or if it's truly just unjustified censorship.+
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:20 am

JVM wrote:I'm even MORE pissed off the COMMENTARY got censored to.

I'd like to believe Matt and Trey did that themselves, but if Viacom is willing to take the fall for this, so be it.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
nekcolynnad

Postby nekcolynnad » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:30 am

:( I was looking forward to seeing the original version of "201", or at least just the speech at the end

I hope someday CC decides to be cool and released the original version
JVM

Postby JVM » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:07 am

Big-Will wrote:
JVM wrote:I'm even MORE pissed off the COMMENTARY got censored to.

I'd like to believe Matt and Trey did that themselves, but if Viacom is willing to take the fall for this, so be it.

I imagine it is them given the lines, but it still pisses me off because I was looking forward to the commentaries for "200" and "201" - I've always had a lot of fun learning the little there is to know about South Park's production.
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:45 am

I figured the episode might be censored, but not the commentary. Although I have seen other commentaries censored in the past, so I don't know why I'm surprised.
AngusMcTavish

Postby AngusMcTavish » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:50 am

Dammit. :x
Mick Bynes

Postby Mick Bynes » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:27 pm

That really sucks, I would love to watch 201 untouched and uncensored. It is one of the most controversial episodes ever.
"I've never seen a homeless guy with a bottle of Gatorade" - George Carlin
SDTommythecat

Postby SDTommythecat » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:16 pm

This is really unfortunate to hear, if I'm paying for the box set that should be an indication I don't find the material offensive.

The really aggravating part of the whole controversy for me, I've seen every single episode of south park EXCEPT 200 and 201 and it looks like now I'll never see the original versions
cynthia325

Postby cynthia325 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:16 pm

That is so upsetting. I was looking forward to see 200 & 201 again. Oh well... C'est la vie. Perhaps one day they will release them.
SpongeFreak52

Postby SpongeFreak52 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:58 pm

That's ridiculous. The press release clearly states "Uncensored", and because of this now, they've just lost my sale.
AngusMcTavish

Postby AngusMcTavish » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:05 am

After reading the article last night, I started thinking:

What if M&T could find some independent video label to put out the uncensored version of 200/201?

Now, before anyone says anything, I have a reference to the scenario:

When the movie Natural Born Killers was first released, the theatrical version was available by the studio that released it for theaters, but when Oliver Stone wanted to present a director's cut, the studio balked at some of the more intense and graphic scenes. So the VHS tape was released through someone else.

The issue had been resolved recently, as I have noticed the director's cut on DVD from the original studio label some time ago, but if there's an indie out there who feels brave enough to do this, could M&T consider going that route??
Mr_Microphone

Postby Mr_Microphone » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:43 pm

The fact that anyone wants to see these episodes (myself included) is reason enough for them to be protected by the constitution, from censorship.

However, large corporations have their interests and images to protect. I ask them to consider that censorship sends a fairly un-American interest.
bmoreravens12

Postby bmoreravens12 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:15 am

That sucks. Well, at least we are getting them.

Return to “General South Park Discussion”