Trey and Matt should take a break (essay inc)

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

SDTommythecat

Trey and Matt should take a break (essay inc)

Postby SDTommythecat » Mon May 02, 2011 5:25 am

Honestly for their own sanity and for the show I really wouldn't mind a year without new south park so they could actually have some time off. Of course that is impossible, but I would hate to see such a great show go the way of the simpsons (should have ended a LONG time ago).

I'm hopeful for season 15, but at the same nervous as to how good of a season it will be overall. Because of the Mormon musical they weren't able to do their traditional prep before this season and do their writers retreat, so they are in a super high pressure position and its amazing they aren't having nervous breakdowns. Season 8 was during Team America, and even though it had some terrific episodes, overall it was a weaker season, at least compared to seasons 6 and 7 which are two of the best out their imo.

Watching Human CentIpad on the airing and a couple replays and I'm still not sure what to think about it. While there were some decent parts there was definitely a lot more that could have been done. Apple, and in particular their user base, is super fertile territory that they could have lampooned (steve jobs could sh*t in a box and their users would think it's the next big tech revolution) and they ended up settling on the kyle story with the users agreement which really could have been done with any company. The moral at the end of the episode seemed kind of like a last minute them asking themselves "what is our 'you know I learned something today' going to be with all this?"

The other thing I have noticed with the newer seasons that is a little unsettling is the progression of cartman's character. I figure this point (assume anyone is still reading my rant at this point, and if you are thanks for sticking with me) is going to cause the most disagreement, but this is my reasoning to be worried about where he is going:

His character basically started out being like a newer kid version of archie bunker, through the years he's progressed to be more spoiled and sociopathic, and overall every season he has been a bigger assh*le than the previous one. Now is this bad as a whole, absolutely not, it's been the basis of a lot of great episodes. In 14 and CentIpad though his character has seemed to lose any sort of grounding in being human at all (the coon/mysterion trilogy, fishsticks, and CentIpad come to mind). He's becoming really outlandish and unreasonable on any sort of level. Don't get me wrong the whole "Put some lipstick on before you f*ck me mom" bit was great.

My gripe with them having his character get to this point is it reminds me a little too much of family guy. I don't mean that in terms of their humor or structure, but in that in the early seasons of family guy when it was still a pretty decent show the characters had some amount of flexibility in how they behaved. As the seasons went on (especially after it came back from being canceled), peter just became outlandishly stupid EVERY episode, brian became annoyingly liberal EVERY episode etc. etc. When they pigeon-hole a character into being that off-balance it's a signal at least to me that the show is really starting to decline and becoming desperate for ideas.

I'll finish my little essay by saying I've been watching south park since I was about 9 (I'm 22 now), and it is far and away my favorite show. Above all the humor there are great messages throughout the show which is one of the biggest reasons why it is such a great show. Whenever I get into a debate with someone about the effects of pot, I cite randy's speech to stan in the future self and me episode because they summed up it up perfectly. I want the show to continue to keep going as long as possible, but as I said in the beginning I don't want it to end up like the simpsons where it is being forced out every single week, and I don't want it to move away from the positive messages at the end to being a collection of pop-culture references.

To the 4 people that might have actually read this whole thing, thanks for your time
BRMBug

Re: Trey and Matt should take a break (essay inc)

Postby BRMBug » Wed May 04, 2011 6:19 am

I skimmed, but I'm right there with you. I think they should take some time off to decompress. And more than just a few months at that.
airmancoop44

Postby airmancoop44 » Wed May 04, 2011 6:40 am

Personally I don't think extended time off will do they much good. There's already a 6 month break in the middle of the season, and a several month gap between seasons. In my opinion they have plenty of time to not think about South Park. The show has become very topical over the years, and taking a much longer break would cause Matt and Trey to lose a lot of material. Which I suppose could be a goood thing, since sometimes I think the show is TOO topical.

As for Cartman, I like his progression. Characters need to develop just like anything; bands, TV shows, technology, etc. If any of them stay constant, they won't suceed no matter how good they were originally. If Cartman remained the same character after all these years, I guarantee people would be complaining he (and the show) were stale. I'm sure his character isn't done evolving yet. If you noticed, lately he hasn't been getting what he wants every time, and is finally getting what he deserves.
mxr5150

Postby mxr5150 » Wed May 04, 2011 8:34 am

I don't think they should take time off as I'm still consistently enjoying the new ones. They should only take time off if they feel it would do the show good.

Also, some of my favorite episodes happen to be the ones made while they're busy with other projects or at the end of a run and just say 'f*ck it' and put whatever they want in the episode. Two recent examples, Crippled Summer and Creme Fraishe were seaons highlights for me next to 200/201 of course.
cynthia325

Postby cynthia325 » Wed May 04, 2011 2:16 pm

You are an incredibly thoughtful person. Yes I agree for their own sanity they should take a break. They have said in previous interviews that even though they are blessed to have South Park, it is work. They need to relax and spend time with their families.
airmancoop44

Postby airmancoop44 » Wed May 04, 2011 6:16 pm

cynthia325 wrote:You are an incredibly thoughtful person. Yes I agree for their own sanity they should take a break. They have said in previous interviews that even though they are blessed to have South Park, it is work. They need to relax and spend time with their families.

South Park only takes up about 18-20 weeks of their year, if that. They have plenty of time to be with their families, in my opinion. It's not like they're locked away at SPS during the show's production.
cynthia325

Postby cynthia325 » Wed May 04, 2011 6:19 pm

airmancoop44 wrote:
cynthia325 wrote:You are an incredibly thoughtful person. Yes I agree for their own sanity they should take a break. They have said in previous interviews that even though they are blessed to have South Park, it is work. They need to relax and spend time with their families.

South Park only takes up about 18-20 weeks of their year, if that. They have plenty of time to be with their families, in my opinion. It's not like they're locked away at SPS during the show's production.

Maybe I should have explained my thought more; sorry: Instead of juggling multi projects while doing South Park they should focus on one thing at a time. South Park will go on for at least another two years... but they should wait until SP is over for good to start another film/tv series/show/etc... You are right though, during the SP run they have time in bwtween for chillaxin'
Last edited by cynthia325 on Wed May 04, 2011 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
airmancoop44

Postby airmancoop44 » Wed May 04, 2011 6:38 pm

cynthia325 wrote:
airmancoop44 wrote:

Maybe I should have explained my thought more; sorry: Instead of guggling multi projects while doing South Park they should focus on one thing at a time. South Park will go on for at least another two years... but they should wait until SP is over for good to start another film/tv series/show/etc... You are right though, during the SP run they have time in bwtween for chillaxin'

Good point. They do tend to have another project during their SP breaks. They had BLU way back, Team America for a couple years, and then Book of Mormon for the last few. Maybe if they did all the South Park eps in one run? Or three runs of 5?
Ex1lepr0

Postby Ex1lepr0 » Sun May 08, 2011 1:12 am

Man this thread is pretty heated. Taco break anyone?
Can't we all just get along?
airmancoop44

Postby airmancoop44 » Sun May 08, 2011 10:54 pm

As long as its one of those Dorito-shell tacos they're test marketing at Taco Bell.
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Mon May 09, 2011 1:40 am

I just had some. Thank you though.
Unassumption

Postby Unassumption » Wed May 25, 2011 1:15 pm

The messages were originally ironic, not every episode has an explicitly stated one. It's best not to take a cartoonist's word as doctrine even if he's the one who starts you researching an issue or introduces you to an argument, I used to quote SP on some things like pot but best to use it like wikipedia as a start of journey.

The Cartman part of the episode made it better than the recent rut for me. At least he's retained a character. Most of the shows nowdays are one shot locations, people, issues, we need to use what we got IMO. Cartman has some use in him yet. He hasn't been archie bunker since season 4 at the latest. A lot of other characters (like Lianne) are becoming more and more bland. We need SP to give characters character IMO.

A holiday might draw them away from the show if they really want to do other projects, showing them what they want could make them leave for good if the pay is well enough. Something has to be done to improve the quality of writing but I'm not sure what.
AND BY THE WAY, I WIN

Return to “General South Park Discussion”