Save Our Stan!

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

2dum2die

Re: Save Our Stan!

Postby 2dum2die » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:10 am

Shane, could this possibly be more of the character development that drew you to Stan in the first place? There had always been slow changes to the boys of SP and this could be just another step. Like what was said earlier, maybe M&T are doing a 2-parter. Or maybe they are doing away with Randy. Whatever the case, they are not getting rid of Stan. They may even make him the American Scott (a dick) but they won't get rid of him. They may be getting ready to finish South Park so they can concentrate on a reboot of 'That's My Bush'

Either way, it's up to them not us.

And Death to Stan All Glory to the FatAss!!
Pip Tweek

Postby Pip Tweek » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:12 am

kfgg wrote:We'll see what happens in October. The whole thing could come back like nothing happened. The problem is the long wait.

That's probably why it's a good idea to wrap up the speculation and put it out of mind for the next 16 weeks. The show's on hiatus, the lights are raised and the janitor's coming to clean up the theater. No sense in lingering.

Til next time, friends.
willowrose

Postby willowrose » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:43 am

SoS AND Style .. I don't like this. Nope. I don't like this at all. :/ I like saving our Stan. But I don't like Kyle betraying him the way he has. When your friend turns cynical, you don't dump them for Cartman. I don't know what you do but you don't do what Kyle did. Not when it comes to Stan. :( dammit.
I don't have a signature
Crazy Elvis

Postby Crazy Elvis » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:19 am

Stan needs to be brought back to south park quickly or else the society of south park will break down. without stan its like a huge gap of an episode missing. He was the cool kind of guy that saw things as alright and he gave south park drama with love.
JVM

Postby JVM » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:23 am

Even though I'm confident all will be resolved by the season's end, you guys have my support.
subuccus

Postby subuccus » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:05 am

Okay.... South Park actually has a long history of f*cking with their fans. I read a few people's posts which seemed to suggest that they would never mess with us, when in fact, that's like their favorite thing to do. There are a lot of examples, but I'll just point out Season 2 Episode 1 for the primary exhibit. AND they weren't even going to ever make an episode where they told us who Cartman's Dad was - they only did it after they got death threats.

All these guys do is sit in their little South Park office, twirling their imaginary mustaches and maniacally laugh through the night while plotting our turmoil. They aren't really comedic artists, more like ironic sadists. The people that plead with you all to stop complaining about episodes are the people who are "in the know" about what M&T are actually up to. The more fear you show, the more excited they get.

If you carefully watch the last episode, you will notice that no one shot or maimed Stan. No rats appeared. No funeral was held. There wasn't even a shot of Stan going anywhere. This isn't even the first time that his parents have been separated - which is why I was kind of surprised everyone keeps going on about Stan. I'm just waiting for that annoying stepdad to come back and try to bond with Stan again.

You should be more concerned that South Park is ending. I'm pretty sure most of the people whining about Stan being "dead" (really????) would be happy to see him dead if it meant that South Park wouldn't go off the air. Keep in mind, Kenny was off the air for an entire season once. Personally, I like Kenny more than Stan. He's way hotter, and not nearly as opinionated.
"I cannot by Sparkle Law move to have an old list investigated. However, if you can find recourse for such an inquiry, Wendy, I would review it. Does that sparkle with all the girls?" - Bebe S11Ep1114
NeuroHeart

Postby NeuroHeart » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:36 am

ShaneHaughey wrote:I do not know about you, but I don't hedge my bets on hopes and dreams.

Nor do I. That's kinda why I asked if there was even a shadow of a possibility that Trey Parker will be impacted by this in any way, because otherwise it is all hopes and dreams.
I don't say this to criticize the overall point, or to be overly negative or bitchy or anything; I do want to see Stan recover. I want that very much. I'm just questioning the rationality of saying it's a campaign or something when it's not likely to change anything. Campaigns for shows tend to kind of be hopes and dreams, anyway, truth be told. (said the longtime Firefly fan who is so not just blowing smoke)
Point is, it's up to Trey. If he's done, he's done. Unless someone can bend his ear and change his mind, no amount of screaming at the wind will make a lick of difference. If he's not done, well then duh there's not even a fight here. But if he is? *shrug*
That's all.
Last edited by NeuroHeart on Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To believe in something just because you're afraid of the consequences if you don't believe in something is no reason to believe in something.
Niels0827

Postby Niels0827 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:57 am

Can I just add something? I'd like to put out a few fires here, because no way in hell have I read the literally hundreds of posts people have made on the future of Stan in the show.

Let's just say, hypothetically, that South Park ends after season 15. Having said that, writing off Stan is flat-out stupid idea (of course, it's a stupid idea regardless of how many episodes are left). You don't write off a TV show's main character when the show only has seven episodes left. A whole 'nother season...maybe, but even that's stretching it.
NeuroHeart

Postby NeuroHeart » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:04 am

Niels0827 wrote:You don't write off a TV show's main character when the show only has seven episodes left. A whole 'nother season...maybe, but even that's stretching it.

I concur. Talk about a quick way to make a show go to sh*t. Even if there is a whole season left, it's a good way to make a show go to sh*t for that whole season. Or more than one season! Anyone else here remember X-files? Yeah. I'm still so bitter about that fiasco.
History proves it's a terrible idea. Of course, by its very nature history proves that it has been done.
He's not written off, though. Stan's just having some issues right now. He's depressed and sees everything as sh*tty. Call me biased, but I think a neuroscientist could do him a world of good.
To believe in something just because you're afraid of the consequences if you don't believe in something is no reason to believe in something.
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:09 am

OxalisWombo wrote:You guys are REALLY dumb.

Don 't be calling my friends dumb, mother f*cker...

Shane, Jason, and Schan, glad to see you back here..Hope you aren't just here for this thread..Go write some stuff in off topic too.

I think there is no way that last night's episode is not going to be a two parter.. Maybe they wrote the episode the way they did to get people to really, really care what happens when they new episodes start up again..That sort of tatic works really well for shows on HBO like True Blood and on AMC's The Walking Dead, because I definately care what is going to happen on the next episodes of those shows. Maybe they made the episode that way to get people worried about Stan's new attitude, and about his parent's breaking up. Looks like it worked, since you guys came back to the board with this thread.

I guess the best thing to do is wait til the next new episode and see what happens.
kalbahamut

Postby kalbahamut » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:14 am

I haven't read all the other posts in this thread. What I'm going to say has probably already been covered, but anyway this is my take on the Season 15 mid-year finale.

Everyone knows that Stan is supposed to be little Trey Parker and represents the everyman in the show, the innocent child whom the world of South Park is experienced through the eyes of.

Of course every character takes turns speaking for the series' creators. They've said themselves that originally Stan was supposed to be little Trey and Kyle was little Matt but that they realize they're both a lot more Cartman. and the other cast members often take turns, too.

In this episode I felt like Stan and the Marshes (Randy and Sharon) were the primary voice of Matt & Trey. Kyle represented what was left of their inner child... resisting the growing cynicism embodied in Stan.

It's been 15 years. South Park had a good run. But... Randy and Sharon (Matt and Trey?) are totally right. The show has gotten tired. They're doing the same crap over and over and many weeks it's painfully apparent they have run out of good ideas. The only time that show has been really relevant lately was when they bring up issues of free speech and talk about Islam... but in that case the episodes get censored and pulled from the website. If Matt & Trey are feeling burned out- I bet that little fiasco had a lot to do with it.

At the end of this episode... Stan has moved away. Kyle and him have split up. and... gasp... Kyle and Cartman have matured enough that they are getting along?? If that's not a sign of the apocalypse I'm not sure what is.

I think what Matt and Trey are saying is that they are tired of doing the show and it's time for it to end. I kind of agree with them. Might as well retire it now instead of having 10 more seasons of crap like The Simpsons opted for. Of course if they bring the show back with no explanation and Stan is back in South Park and Cartman is ripping on Kyle again everything is reset... well they already set that up in the episode by stating that every week it's the same routine and everything goes back to how it was. Or maybe they just want to take things in a different direction.. let the kids get older, make new friends, whatever... In 15 years they've only gotten 1 1/2 years older.

I just did that thing where I had to pick out my favorite 15 episodes from the history of South Park. It helped reconfirm for me what I already knew... that the show is not what it once was. I think the last season that had any episodes in my top 15 was 4 years ago. From last year 201 was the only one I was considering.

If Matt & Trey recognize that they are growing more cynical and out of fresh ideas I say we applaud them for admitting what's obvious to anybody watching South Park. And if that means they want to retire the show... fine... let them. It has run its course. Maybe they can commit to writing musicals all the time. I hear The Book of Mormon is great.
The Silver Banana

Postby The Silver Banana » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:59 am

I nearly cried. In the three years I've been watching this show, I've become very attached to the characters. Except Cartman. And I feel terrible for Stan.

But the fact is, Stan is right. Things being the way they are doesn't help your worldview. The things he saw, heard and experienced, not just in this episode but throughout the series, were a small nudge that sent him into the outright pessimism a lot of us feel these days. It might be impossible for even tender loving medication to save him.

Whether Stan is saved or not, I want to see him again, and even with my pessimism, I know we will. It'll just take a while. Even if things don't turn out the way we expected.

Postby JVM » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:11 pm

Why is everyone keep looking at it as either a two-parter or never to be resolved?

My money is on Stan stepping out for the most of S15b and being resolved in the last episode.
The Silver Banana

Postby The Silver Banana » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:38 pm

JVM wrote:Why is everyone keep looking at it as either a two-parter or never to be resolved?

My money is on Stan stepping out for the most of S15b and being resolved in the last episode.

Actually, I agree with you 65%. The other 35 says that Matt and Trey have no idea what they're doing. Everyone keeps thinking that they actually have something planned, when really, they never do. If anything's planned, it's to not touch the subject until they figured something out.

Doesn't make it any less sad. I spent most of the day sitting on the couch, staring into space.

Postby kalbahamut » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:50 pm

The Silver Banana wrote:
JVM wrote:Why is everyone keep looking at it as either a two-parter or never to be resolved?

Actually, I agree with you 65%. The other 35 says that Matt and Trey have no idea what they're doing. Everyone keeps thinking that they actually have something planned, when really, they never do. If anything's planned, it's to not touch the subject until they figured something out.

Doesn't make it any less sad. I spent most of the day sitting on the couch, staring into space.

I agree. Well, except for the staring into space on the couch thing.. that's a little pathetic.

I don't think M&T have anything planned... they're just tired and burned out. Often the last episode or two of a run they just are feeling tired and out of ideas and that's when they take risks and just do whatever... I think this was one of those times. But I think the burnout is worse than it ever was before and they are wishing they could just stop doing the show forever.

I imagine them sitting around in the writer's room trying to figure out what to make a show about. People suggesting ideas. Someone else shooting down each idea as "that sounds like sh*t!" or "that's the same crap we did in ep 159 and 187!" ...they probably thought about ripping on X-Men First Class or doing some Anthony Weiner jokes etc.. and these ideas just seemed like the tired crap that they were. Feeling cynical... someone asked the question of when this happened... and they started talking about getting older and the experience that most of us go through (usually more like age 14-25 than age 10... but whatever) where our tastes change and the things we love in childhood start to seem crappy. Then they decided to put all their frustrations at being burned out and not being able to come up with ideas into this show... tied up in that experience of growing old embodied by Stan hitting his 10th birthday.

So, I totally agree, they are not planning a 2 parter, or planning to cancel the show, or anything else. They are just out of ideas... so of course they probably have no idea at all what they are going to do for the 2nd run opener. I bet they don't even think about it until 2 weeks before the show. If they still can't come up with a fresh idea then maybe they'll try to get out of the contract. Because I really think they are tired of doing the show at all.

Return to “General South Park Discussion”