Last Night's Episode Was The Series Finale

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

DropEleven

Last Night's Episode Was The Series Finale

Postby DropEleven » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:42 am

"How much longer can we keep doing this?"

It would be just like South Park to end a show with no announcement, no hype, no anything. Just quietly go out and leave everyone wondering.

The episode was quite unlike anything South Park has done before. While they've hit emotional peaks before (such as in "Kenny Dies) the episodes always end with some sort of resolution, even if it's over a multiple part episode. And even so, they always end in some sort of joke (like Kenny be awarded with a giant statue of Keanu Reeves).

I can't really imagine how South Park would come back from this in October. Unless, they do exactly what they called themselves out on, and have it go back to normal the following week, but that seems unlikely. What more could really be said? Could anything else actually be satisfying or would it all just be more of a letdown?

As established in the episode, the viewers can fall into a few different categories:

1. Stan. The viewer now hates the show. Everything is sh*tty and they're a cynical assh*le.

2. Randy. The show is in fact sh*tty and they're pretending it's not.

3. Kyle/Cartman. The show is sh*tty and they honestly don't see what the problem is.

At the end, Randy says the following:
"I just feel like I might not have a whole lot of time left and I want to enjoy it."

This could be referring to Randy himself, indicating the end of the show after the next seven episodes (or again, this episode) or going "meta," as it's been said, and referring directly to Matt and Trey and how they want to do other things with their lives.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Re: Last Night's Episode Was The Series Finale

Postby Big-Will » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:57 am

Pssst. South Park comes back October 5.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
Zazaban

Postby Zazaban » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:14 am

No it wasn't. Period. Don't even have to read your post. They're obliged to come back in October, no question.

...Although, I admit, it would be a very South Park move to abruptly cut-off midseason.
skurtz wrote:
nwt000 wrote:Get your trolling ass out of here!

I'm more friendlier drinking some espresso.
Niels0827

Postby Niels0827 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:41 am

It's not the finale. They have seven more episodes at the very minimum. For all we know, they'll renew again. They've surprised us before. This is what they do.
DropEleven

Postby DropEleven » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:09 am

I don't think they're obliged to do anything. What would happen if they violated their contract. They'd get fined? And I seriously doubt they'd care.

I think that would be right up their alley.
John_117

Postby John_117 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:13 am

DropEleven wrote:I don't think they're obliged to do anything. What would happen if they violated their contract. They'd get fined? And I seriously doubt they'd care.

I think that would be right up their alley.

They signed the contract, and if they violated it, they could lose millions of dollars.
Zazaban

Postby Zazaban » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:28 am

DropEleven wrote:I don't think they're obliged to do anything. What would happen if they violated their contract. They'd get fined? And I seriously doubt they'd care.

They would get sued, and their careers would likely be over because nobody would trust them to do business.
skurtz wrote:

necaise0311

Postby necaise0311 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:22 am

yes, they are obligated to finish out the year, but after this year, they are not obligated to Comedy Central anymore. And after banning 200 and 201 last season, MnT are more than likely not gonna come back. This episode drops TOO many hints that the end is near for South Park. Then again, this could be a "midlife crisis" for the show and they might wanna go in another direction with it. I doubt this course of action though, due to the emmy nominations and the emmy wins generated by their particular style. And MnT are masterminds of the absurd so fans of SP will have to wait patiently and faithfully, being left to hope the show will return.
SomeOddworld

Postby SomeOddworld » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:21 pm

Big-Will wrote:Pssst. South Park comes back October 5.

This.
quinners23

Postby quinners23 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:44 pm

Can't say that I'd be surprised if it was. That'd be very south park-esque of them. God I hope not though.
jayman419

Postby jayman419 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:03 am

DropEleven wrote:"How much longer can we keep doing this?"

It would be just like South Park to end a show with no announcement, no hype, no anything. Just quietly go out and leave everyone wondering.

The episode was quite unlike anything South Park has done before. While they've hit emotional peaks before (such as in "Kenny Dies) the episodes always end with some sort of resolution, even if it's over a multiple part episode. And even so, they always end in some sort of joke (like Kenny be awarded with a giant statue of Keanu Reeves).

I can't really imagine how South Park would come back from this in October. Unless, they do exactly what they called themselves out on, and have it go back to normal the following week, but that seems unlikely. What more could really be said? Could anything else actually be satisfying or would it all just be more of a letdown?

As established in the episode, the viewers can fall into a few different categories:

1. Stan. The viewer now hates the show. Everything is sh*tty and they're a cynical assh*le.

2. Randy. The show is in fact sh*tty and they're pretending it's not.

3. Kyle/Cartman. The show is sh*tty and they honestly don't see what the problem is.

At the end, Randy says the following:
"I just feel like I might not have a whole lot of time left and I want to enjoy it."

This could be referring to Randy himself, indicating the end of the show after the next seven episodes (or again, this episode) or going "meta," as it's been said, and referring directly to Matt and Trey and how they want to do other things with their lives.

The best art holds a mirror up to the viewer. And a mirror is only as believable as the accuracy of the image it presents.

In this case, South Park offers what people expect to see... busy creators essentially "breaking kayfabe" to reveal they are burnt-out, frustrated, and cynical... right before they go away for a couple of months.

But what you think about that is a reflection of who you are right now. Do you believe that Trey and Matt would allow Stevie Nicks to sing the story of the end? That after all this time they would finally give in to cynicism and despair?

Or do you believe what they've told you in the articles and interviews, not just for South Park but everything they've said recently promoting Mormon?
It's 4:19... Got a minute?
jayman419

Postby jayman419 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:06 am

necaise0311 wrote:yes, they are obligated to finish out the year, but after this year, they are not obligated to Comedy Central anymore. And after banning 200 and 201 last season, MnT are more than likely not gonna come back. This episode drops TOO many hints that the end is near for South Park. Then again, this could be a "midlife crisis" for the show and they might wanna go in another direction with it. I doubt this course of action though, due to the emmy nominations and the emmy wins generated by their particular style. And MnT are masterminds of the absurd so fans of SP will have to wait patiently and faithfully, being left to hope the show will return.

They were asked a direct question about being under contract to do South Park until 2013 and they did not correct the reporter, they simply answered it. It was not Jimbo's blog. It was in the New York Times, around a year ago, which means South Park, Trey and Matt, Comedy Central, and who's that... Viacom? whatever... have had plenty of time for a correction or a retraction.

It was also reported in Hollywood Reporter and a couple of other places, again quite some time ago, again with plenty of time for a correction or a retraction.

Given that Trey and Matt's contract status could have a significant impact on stock prices, deliberately misleading investors, or allowing them to be mislead by easily correctable information, could be actionable. Especially if any executive wanted to exercise stock options in the past 2 years, or the next 2 years.
It's 4:19... Got a minute?
WonderWeasel82

Postby WonderWeasel82 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:32 am

I have a feeling my sentiments were much the same as many South Park fans' were after watching You're Getting Old. My immediate response was a melancholy feeling of abandonment: the kind of emotion you feel as a child when a best friend moves to a different town. However, I also consider myself to be an amateur sleuth when it comes to things that pique my interest and attention, and South Park has been a part of my life since my sophomore year in high school. (I also didn't feel like reading through every single response on this topic to see if this has been thought of as a possibility, so if this idea is a re-tread of a previous post, I apologize.)

First off: the facts. It's just the middle of the season; You're Getting Old has the scent of a multi-parter (see Cartman's Mom is a Dirty Slut, the Meteor Shower trilogy, Do the Handicapped go to Hell?/Probably, Professor Chaos/Simpsons Already Did It, Go God Go, Imaginationland, Pandemic (The Startling), and The Coon/Superhero trilogy.)

Also, look who they are currently working with: Robert Lopez, the co-writer of the stage adaptation for the book Avenue Q, which is a coming-of-age story about the malaise and cynicism many of us feel as the innocence of our childhood ends, and real life begins. Perhaps I'm being the stereotypical eternal optimist here, but maybe, just maybe, the plot of the episode was a not-so-silent nod/homage to their friend and collaborator's previous work.

I pray to Joseph Smith that this is the case!
WonderWeasel82

Postby WonderWeasel82 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:41 am

I'm doin' the happy dance, doin' the happy dance!
Zazaban

Postby Zazaban » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:49 pm

Matt & Trey confirm on Daily Show that South Park is coming back.
skurtz wrote:

Return to “General South Park Discussion”