Optimism for the future

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

Classic1987

Optimism for the future

Postby Classic1987 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:19 am

I posted this on IMDB too, but I figured it would get more attention here.

-Even if this ends up being the last season, I don't see it going out on a whimper, but rather a blaze of glory (and hopefully another movie.)

-It's kind of odd to 'end' a show that they can make in a week. Perhaps they can retire it on a consistent basis, and come back for specials (Halloween, Christmas, etc.)

-Or they can just take an extended break before doing further seasons. It's a show that requires the voice talent of three people give or take, it wouldn't be hard to wrangle them up.

-This may be a pipe dream, but perhaps they'll realize the goldmine they're sitting on with a Butters spin-off.

-I can't imagine them NOT announcing what the last season will be. It's like a band going on tour, then saying that it WAS their farewell tour. Seems bad for business/ratings. Sure they have an eccentric sense of humor, but I think they would make people aware that the end is coming.

-The ability to successfully pull off a dramatic moment could rejuvenate the show. I've always thought that South Park could pull off serious/touching moments pretty well.
JVM

Re: Optimism for the future

Postby JVM » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:54 am

I'm optimistic myself but my guess is once the bang goes, it's gone. M&T won't try to recapture their former glory, although if they do I'd definitely welcome it. A spin-off, however, is certainly possible, if improbable.
South Park is a platform for Matt and Trey's social commentary and satire; there is no canon and these characters only serve as tools for self-expression. Don't get attached.
John_117

Postby John_117 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:17 am

South Park is at that logistic stage now. There's only two options: rise or fall. If they fall, they will fall hard. In order for them to continue on, M&T will have to make no mistake, or they'll be gone in the blink of an eye. Forever. But if they can pull it off, they will be like messiahs of comedy TV.

South Park has messed up numerous times through it all, I won't name any particular episodes though. This is their last chance to get it right. If they don't...goodbye South Park.
Classic1987

Further optimism

Postby Classic1987 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:57 pm

Some of these may be clutching at straws, but here it goes:

They can freshen up the show a few different ways:

-Age the characters more. Some people may hate this idea, but make them teens or something. Have one of them deal with growing a nose.

-Introduce new characters, or focus on ones that don't get much airtime. I can't be the only one who would like to see more Bradley or Scott Malkinson.

-I touched on this earlier, but they can take more time off if necessary. Heck, imagine if they skipped this whole year to work on Book of Mormon, then came back in 2012. Their attention wouldn't be divided.

-Perhaps work out a deal to make the show an hour long and take more time to make an episode. I noticed in some episodes that it felt like the story they wanted to tell was constrained to the 22 minute format (IE. The Coon Trilogy). Now I could be wrong and maybe an hour would be too much, but I feel they need more room for some of their ideas to get off the ground.

-Change the way the show is made. If the 'week-by-week' process is killing them, they should try to make it at their own leisure. If they have several good ideas during that summer, pertaining to pop culture or not, they should make them.

Some thoughts about their relationship with the show:

-It's going to be hard for them to say goodbye too. Every year, for 14 weeks, for the past 15 years, they've had a vessel for their voice and opinion. Aside from the show and Book of Mormon, they haven't done much since Team America.

-Speaking of Team America, I got them impression that that experience really turned them off from film making, so perhaps they would rather just make the show.

-I was worried that they would end the show on a downer note, but I imagine they love these characters to much to do that. I can't imagine the show ending without some reconciliation between Stan and Kyle.

-I feel like they're making the show for how they perceive the fans want to see it. They should make it for themselves more often. I recall them talking about their love for musicals and putting music in the show, but I don't recall the last time any of the characters have sung as such.
JVM

Postby JVM » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:24 pm

^ The last time time I remember people singing within the show itself was "Fatbeard" in Season 13 but they might've done or two more musical numbers since then.
South Park is a platform for Matt and Trey's social commentary and satire; there is no canon and these characters only serve as tools for self-expression. Don't get attached.
Classic1987

Postby Classic1987 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:45 pm

Another thought:

-They could try long story arcs. The longest we've seen is 3 episodes. Why not a whole season/half season? If it ends this fall, I can see those episodes all being connected.
Unassumption

Postby Unassumption » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:41 pm

Stan will be in the last episode even if he's gone for now. Totally agree they need to take time off before coming to any decisions, and if need be ask for longer periods between episodes (could make them focus more on character / less on current events too!) or even longer timeslots (then we don't get stories stretched into 2 parters - more episodes for us!). Ageing them and focusing on emotional moments seem like ideas that belong in fanfic, but then so is Stan leaving, whatever freshens it up enough for them to keep doing it; this successful show isn't going to be cancelled unless they refuse to sign. I don't think they're in it for the money enough to bother announcing their farewell tour. They focus too much on new characters (one shots like scot malkinson or people taken from the background for one episode like bradley) as it is and i'd like them to use what they've already developed and got more (though they have been lately) but this isn't about what me or you or the average fan or viacom wants, it's what M and T want. I don't know if removing a character was their choice to freshen it up or to help end it, I don't think it was that good a choice in terms of what fans want, but I'm not them so don't know what'll keep them going.
AND BY THE WAY, I WIN
spfan4ever77

Postby spfan4ever77 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:52 am

I think Matt and Trey do the show because every now and then they have show idea they really want to do. They will not suddenly end the show because people, society, the world, whatever... always throws out something new to explore humorously. Creating comedy is like a drug. While SP kahunas want to explore more serious work or even retirement, I bet they will always feel a withdrawal after too much time away from South Park.
timb900

Postby timb900 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:03 pm

There was a little bit of singing at the end of TMI. But nothing compared to the mormans

Return to “General South Park Discussion”