WHAT EVERYTHING MEANS by Richard Via

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

RichardV1150

WHAT EVERYTHING MEANS by Richard Via

Postby RichardV1150 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:28 am

I've decided to post again, an important topic idea that I've chatted along with many South Park fans.

Lift your arms up, take a deep breath. Now South Park has come a long way, it's all getting older. Now I hope you knew that this day could possibly come, I mean all good things must come to an end. Just to let you know, the season 15 extension to season 17 has not been signed, it's still pending. I know there's a LOT of speculation circling round about what the contract says or does, just know this, you should consider waiting to hear things from M&T before you want to make prejudgments. What that means is that Trey Parker and Matt Stone are seriously considering whether or not to end the series and move on. So if the series ends, I will be happy, knowing I've been part of something so great and so changing to me and my life experiences. I learned so much and I hope that you have to.
Matt and Trey have been getting older like many of us, whom have been watching South Park since we were little kids. I've been watching South Park since like... close to the start, so many memories. The South Park crew hasn't changed much over the years, stood close to some beliefs and how they run their show. They might have been scared to change the show, but now that they may be ending everything, they are changing the show.
One thing that strikes me as touching is that throughout all these seasons and years, I've been changing and it's been fun. Through all the laughs, the crying, the memories, I've never considered South Park of all things to end. If it does end now, I will have graduated the school year that it ends, kind of fitting, don't you think so? I hope the fans of South Park have grew along with the show as well, learning new and exciting things and most of all having fun. :)
Well enough of the sad drippery drew, let's talk South Park and what it all means. First off, I kindly wish that Stan has not been written out of the show as many of you have suggested. Stan has been an important aspect of the South Park series, his maturity, his tending to make sense, sanity in general. We have never seen him in a true self-problem, something that truly effects his character in a such negative way. I thought the sh*t thing was all fun and games until I started seeing others get affected by his actions. In a sense, without him everything is different, for better and worse. When someone feels isolated they become isolated and this usually happens very very quickly. I believe Stan still lives in South Park, the cafeteria looked the same, Sharron wanting the house she has always dreamed of, same goes for Randy. Kyle and Eric are getting older too you know, some enemies become friends. I think they will actually start being... afraid to say it, super best friends.
We've seen Sharron and Randy get divorced before, in "Club houses", but the last five minutes are what really speaks their minds, Matt and Trey's too. Maybe Matt and Trey want to go separate ways, maybe not. What I believe this very well could mean is that Randy won't be getting back with Sharron, ever. Randy said that he doesn't think he has much time left, meaning he wants a permanent change. South Park may take a turn at telling how kids lives really are, divorced parents, strained friendships, hard times. I believe Kenny will stay in his own small world, cause what does he even have to begin with, certainly not much money. He has two parents that live that hard life, fighting with one other, having other siblings without much as well. I mean, you've seen them, but I thing that Matt and Trey might not want to do much more with the McCormicks.
Some how I don't believe this is a two-part episode, I mean look at it, their was no dramatic climax (such as the one in 200/201 or The Coon series) or devastating destruction, teetering on the brink. I think this is how things will remain. South Park may change permanently with each passing episode. Whatever happens now, I'm sure everyone will have their eyes glued to the screen, not literally I hope.
This could be wrong and Matt and Trey are just f*cking with us, testing their fan base. Like they said in the commentary of season 14, they'd like to see Mysterion coming back, which might mean they would like to sign that contract and move onto season 16 and 17. This isn't some kind of anger of Matt and Trey, they are very happy with what they do, I know this, and take all forms of criticism kindly, their just getting older, like you.

In this I pretty much summed up what I could make of exactly what happened, it's a show and anything can happen, so yes, it might go back to normal, but like Sharron said, it's the same old sh*t over and over, with little to no change. Yes, the stories are great, but nothing changes, I mean look at the Stan and Wendy relationship, on and off yes, but now you don't even see or hear from her much.

All of the South Park characters were currently remaining static up to this point, Garrison is a man, Eric hated Kyle, Stan was the voice of reason, Kenny actually died, over and over: and most of all, when everything was said and done, they learned something and everything is candy canes and lolly pops again.

You couldn't have expected everybody to always be the same, if Trey Parker and Matt Stone wanted to tell everyone the ages of people, they obviously had reason to do it, to show change, not like "The Simpsons", where no one really ages, or goes to a new grade. As teens we all change, like different music, gain and lose friends old and new, change your style, change you attitude, change your life, change you. This can also happen in things like South Park, and once something important or changing is said or done, it can't really be easily unsaid or undone. So Stan is a cynical assh*le, maybe Trey is much like Stan, having a divorce, having his life change so much and finally wanted Stan to share some of those traits. If you've ever talked to a voice actor for a cartoon/anime character, you'll know that they often say they become the character, or the character becomes part of them, sharing many of the same traits and philosophies.

I would like to look at the song that was in the episode, Landslide, which may shed some light on things, I mean you do choose a song that best fits a scene, so it must have relevance as well. Here's one verse that is very important:

"Well, I've been afraid of changing
'Cause I've built my life around you
But time makes you bolder, even children get older
And I'm getting older too"

Everyone was afraid to change because they've built their entire lives around each other, wanting it to stay that way, but time makes you boulder, boulder to make a change, cause even children get older, and that means everyone is getting older too. Don't you see, Matt and Trey are going through what appears to be the same thing.

Whatever you make of what happens is your opinion, this is mine, if you think the very same may be true comment what you think, the same goes for if you don't think this will happen.
It's always good to look at things from another angle, I hope this helped you in any way possible.
I would love for South Park to end in a great way, especially since Matt and Trey both want to make an epic movie to end it all. So what happens is what happens, I know I'll have fun! Guess we have to be tortured until October. Wouldn't it be crazy if in October they didn't even have a preview for you to watch, how mind boggling. Have a fun summer break everybody!
South Park is amazing and anyone who doesn't think so should learn how to Respect My Authoritah! LOL South Park Rulez!
RichardV1150

What if?

Postby RichardV1150 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:38 am

Lying in bed, something came to mind, how do things carry on in October? Does everything get ignored, is there some crazy event that brings them all together, is Stan written out, does Stan end up committing suicide because his life is so sh*tty, or possible, have we been lying to ourselves. Think about it, Randy and Sharron said to eachother that they think each of them is sh*tty, Randy says he thinks he might not have alot of time left, one can draw the conclusion that they are unhappy and want a divorce. But what if they just want to start fresh and different, they never said that they should separate, what if they all moved together, into what appears to be a bigger house, I mean cone on, how can Sharron afford that on her own. Even if Sharron works at Tom's Rhinoplasty, doesn't mean she can buy a new house, the Marsh's could very well have moved together. It's some way to start on the right track to normalcy. As for everything else that's wrong, I hope it gets fixed. Any of the above things I mentioned in the beginning could happen, if Stan kills himself, it wouldn't be funny, but crazy, just think of the ratings of the show, they would go off the charts, yeah people would go crazy but you could end South Park on perhaps the most important notion of all, life is best worth spending with eachother no matter how we all change, families and friends, together forever, I mean as small as South Park is, you would actually have to move to Denver to reset your life.

I pray Stan isn't killed off to end South Park, but you must repose I'm considering every option here, it's a possibility none the less. Still more updates to come, tell me what you think.
South Park is amazing and anyone who doesn't think so should learn how to Respect My Authoritah! LOL South Park Rulez!
hipdoof

Re: WHAT EVERYTHING MEANS by Richard Via

Postby hipdoof » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:54 am

Responding to your first comment, I agree wholeheartedly. As far as Stan killing himself to end the series? No freaking way. Not gonna happen.
RichardV1150

Postby RichardV1150 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:23 pm

I have been chatting with people, one idea keeps coming out of there mouths, that South Park isn't as funny anymore. Matt and Trey may have heard their fans say this, and then began to ask themselves. what would cause one to say such things, I mean, they've been doing almost the same thing from the beginning. The answer is simply that people are getting older and a new generation is approaching, one that won't like South Park as much, so this may have been a portrayal to the fans in a way too.

Another idea that keeps popping up is that Trey and Matt know their fans, and know what they like. Fans love crazy insane plots with unexpected and funny endings. That's only half of what South Park fans like, they also love the characters, like to see them go through things. So why not why not make an episode that portrays what each character goes through, the difficulties, have some serious character talk and changes. The result has many sides, those that disliked it thinking that their wan't much to laugh at, those confused by the last 3-4 minutes and of course those who can't help but ask, where do you go from here, what does this all mean? For example, go to the forums and look under the You're getting older post-discussion thread, there's almost 40 pages, what soon may be over that. People are talking and it's not all negative, it's fun too. This episode was confusing to some, boring to others, but you can't deny the deeper meaning. People change, it's inevitable immutable unchangeable, it's the way things are and always will be.
RichardV1150

Postby RichardV1150 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:14 am

Further research has lead me to believe new outcomes in the story that is South Park. To adequately predict and make an accurate hypothesis on what can happen, we must look at other, more hidden and often overlooked possibilities. Take this quote from the episode:
Kyle: Dude, you've changed.
Stan: No I haven't, the world has, don't you see it?
Kyle: No and I don't want to.

Take a serious look at that, I mean, does it seem suspicious to you?
Yes, Stan has changed, but the world does too, maybe I'm looking too deep for answers, but couldn't a possible solution to this entire fiasco be that Stan is simply correct.
Maybe Stan starts seeing the world for what it has become to the world of South Park... sh*t. Stan must convince everybody that the world is sh*t and that they must do something about it. For if everything become sh*tty then people just speak sh*t, sh*t spreads and not in a good way, not like in "It hits the fan" but that everything becomes so sh*tty to even do, people go crazy. I might be going out on a limb, but in my fair share of South Park experiences, something outrageous usually occurs to fix some otherwise impossible problem.

If, in fact, Stan is seeing the world for what it is, everything can end, kind of sh*tty if you think about it.

Another simple fix is that this is all simply a dream, and a bad one at that.
Whatever the future of South Park is, one thing is for certain, and as Stan would say, "This is going to be one long-ass summer.".
BearGrylls

Postby BearGrylls » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:08 am

"If I can change, and you can change, everybody can change!"
-Rocky Balboa
hesuchia

Postby hesuchia » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:22 am

At first I thought this indicated the imminent end of South Park. Then I thought about it some more. I notice a lot of people have been complaining lately about how not funny the episodes are. I still find them to be funnier than a lot of stuff, and loyally record them week after week. I've personally thought a lot of the complainers are the people who really build up the "good times" of things and hate anything new. It kind of fits with the episode's "cynical assh*le" theme. I think this is mostly a gtfo to the complainers. If you still like the same stuff you used to (i.e. the show) then great. If you don't, you either grew out of it (like sharon/randy) or are the cynic. But if you keep complaining, all you'll do is ruin everyone's good time and make nobody like you anymore.

I feel like that whole explanation could be placed in one of Kyle's speeches in the next episode. It leaves a good plot cliffhanger, makes the show feel in-danger (activating true fans' loyalty), and addresses the complainers in a thought-out way. Matt and Trey are pretty good at thinking up how to address issues, so this feels right up their alley.
RichardV1150

Postby RichardV1150 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:30 pm

BearGrylls wrote:"If I can change, and you can change, everybody can change!"
-Rocky Balboa

Great quote, that's another amazing series, change occurs in movies too, everywhere in the world!
RichardV1150

Postby RichardV1150 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:00 pm

Is there any connection to be made that the song "Landslide" was written in and about Colorado, specifically Aspen? As of the moment, I have no idea what if could symbolically mean, or it's just a coincidence.
RichardV1150

Postby RichardV1150 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:08 am

I sure am researching this a lot! Well I found another important symbol in the episode! The duck! According to whats-your-sign.com, the duck's symbolism is this:

Ducks, along with geese (see entry below) share the same symbolism of transition due to their migratory nature. Ducks are also a Celtic animal symbol of honesty, simplicity and resourcefulness. Ducks also represent sensitivity, as they tend to be very sensitive to their surroundings. Also viewed as graceful and agile – particularly in the water, ducks are respected for their beauty and adaptation to nature.

Grabbing a couple of things out of this, ducks are a symbol of transitioning, and transitioning into new things is exactly what South Park has done. Being able to adapt to nature may be what Stan will try to do, except he was sh*ted in the face by the duck, so I don't know what that has to do with the symbol much. If it were a goose I would have been much happier because a goose's symbol is:

Geese were common sights in the lush green lands of Ireland, and their migration was duly noted by the ever-observant Celts. Consequently, among Celtic animals, the Goose deals with our own migratory or transitory nature. The sign of the goose urges us to consider our changes of mood and heart. The Celts understood that oneness in thought leads to oneness in deed, so invoking the goose aids in our ability to understand why we have such changes of thought, and what we can do to ground our thoughts so that our actions aren't "willy-nilly." Furthermore, the goose is also a strong symbol of hearth and home. Always returning to the same spot each spring, the goose was recognized for it's incredibly navigational devised, and identified for it's keen sense of return to home. Celts being fierce patriots, the sign of the goose was a strong symbol of the importance of home. Likely, the goose was a common symbol in the home, displayed to encourage the safe return home of Celtic warriors

I believe that this symbolic definition sells itself in relation to South Park, Stan and Kyle, Randy and Sharron, ect. ect. But the returning to home part would've made me know that Stan and his family would go back to where they came from and the importance of home. But it wasn't a goose now was it?
Vixi626

Postby Vixi626 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:16 am

I totally respect all of your opinions, but I really think you're thinking way to deeply for this episode. Matt and Trey have one week to get everything done, I highly doubt that they would take the time to look up different symbols to add in as some great reveal to everyone that the show is ending (Which, personally, I'm sure it's not). I think the duck was just something to be stupid funny like they nearly always do to make fun/make up movies. As for the "new generation" thing. I didn't start watching South Park until last year seeing as I wasn't old enough by my parent's standards and still find it hilarious, more so recently then in the older ones because they talk about more serious things or world issues with a humorous tone. And I really think they chose that song just because it was sad and had a growing older theme...It really took away from the funny parts that were shown though.

I also couldn't see Matt and Trey having any of the boys (or anyone else for that matter) kill themselves. That definitely would take away from the whole purpose of the show, making people laugh.

And I think there was a dramatic climax at the end of the episode. I know I was waiting for it all to come to some for of conclusion and have everything reconciled like all other episodes (other than 2-parters) have, but no, it didn't happen. (I was anxious at the end and isn't that what the climax of a story is supposed to make happen?) No "I've learned something today" speech, no Cartman getting what he deserves for doing something stupid or hateful...nothing. Which leaves one conclusion for me...Part two in fall. They did this before when telling us who Cartman's father was and even skipped a week after that. Not to mention the Coon episodes. They could have easily ended that whole story with the first episode. There definitely wasn't any unresolved action in that one. But then there were three more episodes. No to mention I can't bring myself to believe Eric Cartman could be friends with Kyle for more than five minutes without causing some sort of fight.

But, no matter which of the theories floating around is right (If any), it was still an amazing episode with a lot of character development.
RichardV1150

Postby RichardV1150 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:54 pm

To get a better idea of what turning ten feels like I would like to share the same thing I shared in the Pre-air thread, it's a little poem by Billy Collins, here's how it goes:

On Turning Ten

The whole idea of it makes me feel
like I'm coming down with something,
something worse than any stomach ache
or the headaches I get from reading in bad light--
a kind of measles of the spirit,
a mumps of the psyche,
a disfiguring chicken pox of the soul.

You tell me it is too early to be looking back,
but that is because you have forgotten
the perfect simplicity of being one
and the beautiful complexity introduced by two.
But I can lie on my bed and remember every digit.
At four I was an Arabian wizard.
I could make myself invisible
by drinking a glass of milk a certain way.
At seven I was a soldier, at nine a prince.

But now I am mostly at the window
watching the late afternoon light.
Back then it never fell so solemnly
against the side of my tree house,
and my bicycle never leaned against the garage
as it does today,
all the dark blue speed drained out of it.

This is the beginning of sadness, I say to myself,
as I walk through the universe in my sneakers.
It is time to say good-bye to my imaginary friends,
time to turn the first big number.

It seems only yesterday I used to believe
there was nothing under my skin but light.
If you cut me I could shine.
But now when I fall upon the sidewalks of life,
I skin my knees. I bleed.

Create Date : Monday, January 13, 2003

Now that the episode is over, this poem fits even better because of what Stan is diagnosed with, that being cynicism.
Very touching in my thoughts, especially now that I'm going to turn 18.
The Cattataphish

Postby The Cattataphish » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:02 am

Very interesting ideas. Usually I think that dissecting South Park beyond a certain point is futile, but I think there are to many clues in this episode - it's meant to be analysed
RichardV1150

Postby RichardV1150 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:29 pm

More symbolism found!

The Carp is an amazing symbol, I found it to be a symbol because I have researched and found no Carp band in the 70's or anything closely related to carp.
The symbolic meaning lies deep many cultures. The meaning is this, it symbolizes much the same: courage, the ability to attain high goals, and overcoming life's difficulties.

Now whether or not this is a high goal for the Marsh family, I don't think so, but definitely, it is one of life's difficulties. If we are to see courage in upcoming episodes in October, the symbol will be better fitting.
Last edited by RichardV1150 on Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RichardV1150

Postby RichardV1150 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:47 pm

I've been pondering whether or not to post this, much because it may lead me to believe events that will most likely not occur. I've talked about the show, it's direction, symbolism, but have I really said anything about what happened to the characters? No, I haven't really, which is why I would like to take a minute of your time (more like a few minutes) and describe the recent change in our wonderful static characters Stan, Kyle, Eric and Kenny. I'm going to start backwards and advance my way up, so let us start with Kenny McCormick shall we?
Now Kenny hasn't changed too much has he, well, I think he has. For one, did anyone notice he hasn't died lately, well I certainly have. What does he always do to get himself killed, he always has some wild adventure that gets him killed by the end of it, usually anyway. I believe that our little Kenny is starting to grow up and learn not to play with fire, not try to be the star and end up being with the stars. Kenny is just an average kid now, he might even become like Stan.

Now let's move on to Eric Cartman and Kyle Broflovski, I'll put them together because they are now best friends. Now Eric didn't make fun of Kyle one time, not one time throughout the entire episode, he didn't even swear! Now that doesn't mean he's all goody-too-shoes, he's still an inconsiderate bastard, in every sense, getting presents on someone else's birthday, shame shame. But he actually likes to hang around with Kyle, did you see those two smiling at each other? Now I want to hold Cartman against his word, like he said in a particular episode before, and I paraphrase, "No matter what happens I will always hate Kyle more than you", now how come he hates Stan and loves Kyle all of a sudden, somethings fishy and I don't like fish a lot.

As for Kyle Broflovski, in the beginning he's still Stan's super best friend, but what happens over the course of the episode changes that completely. Stan looked at him for help in his time of need, and Kyle kind of pulled an Eric Cartman on him, left him, Stan kind of did the same thing in, "South Park Is Gay". I think that later on in the season they will get back together. Maybe not though, how really knows?

Now on to Stanley Marsh, he's changed probably the most out of everyone, first of he's turned ten, that's permanent. He doesn't like the same things he used to like, getting older, but he's not just older, he's cynical. For some of you that's a big word, now you can research it, find it's roots and all of those things and stuff, but what you really might want to know is how and what people do when they become cynical. Now the information I'm about to provide you with comes from a good enough source, they researched it themselves and came up with this:

"Cynicism about
change involves a real loss of faith in the leader of change and is a response to a history of
attempts at consultation or planning that have not been entirely successful. In many ways,
cynicism comes about in spite of the best intentions of a leader.
Cynicism about consultation and planning can become a self-fulfilling prophecy if cynics
refuse to support change. Their lack of support may bring about failure or greatly limit success.
Failure then reinforces cynical beliefs, which further inhibit the willingness to try again. Few
changes can be mandated from the top and put into place without the need for considerable
acceptance from those lower in the organizational structure. Cynicism, then, is an
important barrier to any positive change.

Result = Negative changes for the person being cynical and those around him or her. We've seen much of this take place in "You're getting old" , and my guess is that we will continue to see it in October.

Still more research to come!

Return to “General South Park Discussion”