Some thoughts on the latest episode - "You're Getting Old"

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

Huckle

Some thoughts on the latest episode - "You're Getting Old"

Postby Huckle » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:52 am

I think, as we've all watched South Park from its inception and until the latest episode aired recently, we've learned something today (and every other day.) One of which is that, undeniably, Matt and Trey are very purposeful people.

After I watched the most recent episode, I needed to clear my mind. I was absolutely shocked how things wrapped up in the mid-season finale. I started searching websites for reviews to find out what people thought, and, of course, I checked the forums on SPS. Currently, I agree with the consensus. It seems as if Matt and Trey are tired of SP and could possibly be moving closer to a series conclusion. But, as I watched the final "Landslide" clip on this website tonight, I thought of something that may be encouraging, albeit unlikely in its formulation.

As I mentioned that Matt and Trey are purposeful people, I would find it extremely unlikely if their chosen song for the ending montage, "Landslide," was placed their without complete consideration. When I read the lyrics over, I saw some interesting lines.

First, the line, "Can the child within my heart rise above." I think, possibly, this line is referencing the fact that Matt and Trey are still children at heart, and perhaps they can overcome their more adult selves. As adults, they are tired of South Park, but maybe they're trying or desiring to return to the state in which they loved making South Park, when they had the type of passion that only children possess.

Secondly, the line, "Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?" I think this line may be referring to either the fact that our world is changing or the fact that recent episodes have been receiving less than stellar reviews. When the tides change, you can't just take a rest. You have to sail through it, and I think Matt and Trey might be asking themselves if they can just "sail" through it all. Whether it be changing political and social climates or media and fan-based criticisms.

I think that almost surely this last episode is a deep look at Matt and Trey's desire to keep the show going.
Quite possibly, it's an examination directed at themselves questioning if they can push through these difficult times and deliver the types of episodes that fans and critics alike have come to admire, or if the cost to themselves is too great. Regardless, Matt and Trey are definitely in a tough position.

Granted, I may be reading into it too much, and I probably am. But, possibly, their inclusion of the song "Landslide" is another way to relay their message. Any way, I find it encouraging to think that maybe Matt and Trey can make it through these next couple of months to craft maybe just a few more seasons.

Please, let me know what everyone thinks, or if I'm off-base in this possible analysis, which I find highly likely. I'll continue to ponder this episode and see if I can find any correlation between its content and my theory. If I find any, I'll make sure to post it here.

Here are the lyrics to "Landslide" in case anyone can't use google.

(From ELyrics.net)

I took my love, I took it down
Climbed a mountain and I turned around
And I saw my reflection in the snow covered hills
Till the landslide brought me down

Oh, mirror in the sky, what is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?
Mmm, mmm, mmm

Well, I've been afraid of changing
'Cause I've built my life around you
But time makes you bolder
Even children get older and I'm getting older too

Well, I've been afraid of changing
'Cause I've built my life around you
But time makes you bolder
Even children get older and I'm getting older too
Oh, I'm getting older too

Awh, take my love, take it down
Awh, climb a mountain and turn around
And if you see my reflection in the snow covered hills
Well, the landslide bring it down

And if you see my reflection in the snow covered hills
Well, the landslide bring it down
Oh, the landslide bring it down

-Stevie Nicks
Last edited by Huckle on Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Niels0827

Re: Some thoughts on the latest episode - "You're Getting Ol

Postby Niels0827 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:56 am

There's several threads that already exist for this kind of thing. Have you already posted your thoughts in the post-air discussion thread?
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:42 am

A lot of these threads require my approval, and right now, a lot of people want to get on the soapbox, so I let them through. Maybe later I'll merge them.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
Huckle

Postby Huckle » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:03 pm

Niels0827 wrote:There's several threads that already exist for this kind of thing. Have you already posted your thoughts in the post-air discussion thread?

I see what you're saying, but I feel my analysis is a little bit different and also more in the vein of a lyrics analysis thread. I'd like to see what other conclusions people can draw about the song and its connection to the episode, and I think it would be nice to keep it in a single thread. Maybe, I should rename the title?
spfan4ever77

Postby spfan4ever77 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:09 am

Dude, just enjoy the show.
Huckle

Postby Huckle » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:49 am

spfan4ever77 wrote:Dude, just enjoy the show.

I do enjoy it, but sometimes I like to look at things a little deeper even though things are probably much shallower than I or others suspect.
chaoticvash

Postby chaoticvash » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:23 am

I really do feel as if this is the beginning of the end. The song "Landslide" does seem to be a look into the thoughts and feelings of Matt and Trey.

"Well, I've been afraid of changing
'Cause I've built my life around you" tells me that south park has been their life for so many years and they don't want to change it.

"But time makes you bolder
Even children get older and I'm getting older too" and "Oh, mirror in the sky, what is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?" tells me that they feel that it may be time to move on and let something that they once loved, if not still love, go. I think the guys are going through a very hard choice with this. For over 15 years they have been doing south park and breaking the bounderies of media and the way people think. They have rebeled against society for us and asked nothing else in return.

If this is the end, I would like to take this moment to thank Matt and Trey for every single episode, every giggle, every time I rolled on the floor trying to regain my breath after laughing so hard. Thank you for all the years you helped me get through the week. Your work has ment a lot to me, and always will.

Thank you.
pootycancerXD

Postby pootycancerXD » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:14 pm

I really hope that your right, and that Matt and Trey weren't trying to say that they are getting sick of the show... While watching this episode I truly felt during the discission between Randy and Sharon that it was M&T trying to say that they are getting sick of the show being basically the same thing over and over again.

But IMO as long as this show makes me laugh I will always continue to watch it... and I loved most of the first run of S15 (unlike most people) because there were still plenty of funny stuff going on. I mean they can't always be perfect like they were in the past, but I really hope M&T extend the contract, because I can't imagine TV without South Park.
ScottBrown

Postby ScottBrown » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:34 pm

I read they already renewed the contract but I'm not sure. I think it's pretty obvious what's going on if you take a step back. First off, South Park likes p*ss*ng people off and/or f*ck*ng with them. Before each season, they have a few weeks were they plan the season. With The Book of Mormon, they didn't have that time. I liked this season, but apparently others didn't. This season's reviews were not as good as the last few seasons. So I think that they figured that they would make everyone think they were going to end the series, just to get more viewers. I assume after they plan season 15b we will see a lot more and better episodes. It's all just a publicity stunt that works so well when people look too deep into it.
ScottBrown

Postby ScottBrown » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:50 pm

My original post was locked so I gotta get my answers off one of the current threads with a similar topic

So after this episode aired, I didn't think much of it. But today when I was checking if it was the mid season finale, I found many people thinking that this is the end of South Park, or the beginning of the end. People say that the ending conversation with Randy and Sharon represented a real conversation or at least their(Trey and Matt) feelings on the show being the same old sh*t and that they are ready to move on. People also think that the two old people were Trey and Matt appearing to be "too old" and they are wanting to save the pants or "show". And along with all this people assume it means they are ending the show or they are changing it up to make it "fresh" and they are getting rid of Randy, Sharon, and/or Stan to do so. Now honestly, this is South Park. Why people really think that their is so much representation and symbolism put into it is beyond me. My honest thoughts on it is this; the episodes 200 and 201 caused a lot of commotion and brought them much attention. That got many people coming back for season 14b. The season ended with awesome episodes. Now for season 15, they have got that extra attention and to some, the episodes so far were a let down. I personally thought they rocked but others didn't. And with the complaint of viewers, they need to get them and more back. What better way to do so than to make it as though the show was ending? That gets so many people coming to see what happens in season 15b. Side note- my brother said that with them saying that each week it's the same thing, they're just going to have a normal show like nothing happened . But I think it's a publicity stunt, and the show will continue. The episodes so far have (too some) been not so well only because with the Book of Mormon, they didn't have the extended prep time to get a good season idea. By the way, some websites say they have been renewed through 2013 already, I'm not sure though. I do know not too long ago they were saying how they love doing the show and want to continue it for a while.

So what are your thoughts on this? Do you think they are doing to end the show, get more, views, or do you have another idea? Did I leave anything out? How do you think they will continue this or even how do you think they will end the show?(Which they did say they want to end it with a movie)
superfancool

Re: Some thoughts on the latest episode - "You're GeLtting O

Postby superfancool » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:57 pm

I don't think the South Parks guys are that serious about the show.
JJ3001

Postby JJ3001 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:59 am

Let's be honest, they do use quite a lot of metaphors through the show and this could be one. I mean they are getting older, and the best episodes are from some of the earlier seasons.
Chances are that Sharon and Randy's conversation at the end reflect what they are feeling.
I'm surprised they didn't use this as an actual ending, because it would make for a really good ending of the show. Some of the best comedies have ended on poignant notes.
Maybe there is something going on behind the scenes? But let's be honest, if the guys aren't happy doing this any more, then they would want to end it on a high, there's no point them carrying on working on a project if they aren't happy with how it is now.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:43 am

See the Daily Show threads about the future of the show.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version

Return to “General South Park Discussion”