How have M and T Inspired You?

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

CartmansWhore
Posts: 595
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:03 pm

How have M and T Inspired You?

Postby CartmansWhore » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:32 pm

So having read through some posts for the recent episodes and everyone sharing their thoughts about the show/movies, I was thinking on making this thread asking how M &T have inspired you personally as people and through their work?

Move this thread if you'd like,admins!
Last edited by CartmansWhore on Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“The basis of all reasoning is the mind's awareness of itself. What we think, the external objects we perceive, are all like actors that come on and off stage. But our consciousness, the stage itself, is always present to us,” Trey Parker
Zazaban
Posts: 3280
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:32 am

Re: How have M and T Inpsired You?

Postby Zazaban » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:28 pm

Yep. Their approach has rubbed off on my work to a certain extent. I can't think of specifics, (somebody would probably have to look at something I've written,) but I've noticed it.
skurtz wrote:
nwt000 wrote:Get your trolling ass out of here!

I'm more friendlier drinking some espresso.
CartmansWhore
Posts: 595
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:03 pm

Re: How have M and T Inpsired You?

Postby CartmansWhore » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:01 am

That's a good reason ^

For me, they've shaped my sense of humor and their take on pop culture, politics and life is a lot like how I think already. I admire how they care about how they influence as well as girls, there aren't many celebrities who do. They're fearless with their work and do whatever they want no matter what anyone says.
“The basis of all reasoning is the mind's awareness of itself. What we think, the external objects we perceive, are all like actors that come on and off stage. But our consciousness, the stage itself, is always present to us,” Trey Parker
BigGuy101
Posts: 358
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 11:12 pm

Re: How have M and T Inspired You?

Postby BigGuy101 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:10 pm

Trey Parker and Matt Stone both inspired me to be a filmmaker. I'm currently writing my own TV show.
My favorite SP characters: Cartman and Butters.

My favorite food: anything pasta related.
cynthia325
Posts: 485
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:43 pm

Re: How have M and T Inspired You?

Postby cynthia325 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:49 pm

I don't know if this falls in the category, but I want to share why they mean so much to me.

As I shared with you all in the respected thread, the last episode really hit home for me. All my life I was the cynical one, the bitch, "omg you're so rude sometimes, Cindy!" I've been bold and blunt about everything and anything. The problem is that I am really a nice, sweet person, but I happen to be very outspoken. I'm not considerate when I say something, I don't care who's around. I have never set out to be a bitch or to be cold. I just say things that seem harsh. It has hurt me in the friend department. It has even caused me trouble with my own family. I always thought something was wrong with me. I even went to two sessions with a therapist because I didn't think the way I spoke or thought was normal! Every week on South Park, I laugh and think "geez, at least they get it too!" I am speaking about a topic they may cover that week or maybe something cruel that Cartman says. I have agreed with Matt and Trey on just about every topic they've covered or talked about.

Then I heard Matt say something that struck a cord for me in an interview. The interviewer was asking Matt and Trey how they decide who to go after every week. Matt simply said that they don't purposefully go after anyone. "We're just offensive people." And yet Matt and Trey seem to be social happy people, yet they are "just offensive"? It got me thinking... that's ok. I can be offensive. Look at those guys! They made an awesome cartoon show and they have a huge following! People love them! They're America's great humorists! I shouldn't have to feel guilty or ashamed just because I am "offensive" or "a bitch". And since I've embraced who I am and how I react to the criticism, I'm comfortable now. Since I have been more confident about my attitude, I have made more friends in my adult life.

Recently I got a compliment from one of my male friends. He was having problems with this girl and I was giving him advice. He said "Cindy, we need to clone you because there are not many attractive, confident, blunt women who understand men." It just made me giggle and feel good about myself. Beside the fact that he said attractive, he also said blunt and confident.

I look up to Matt and Trey for that very reason. They gave me confidence. I am lucky to have great role models, whether they know it or not.
Ex1lepr0
Posts: 3185
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:41 pm

Re: How have M and T Inspired You?

Postby Ex1lepr0 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:58 pm

^^One of the greatest lessons in life. Be yourself, and be happy about who you are.

I admire M&T, because I have respect for everyone who uses first amendment rights to the extereme. A lot (but not all) of what they convey through SP I've agreed with, and it has shaped my opinions over the last year.
Can't we all just get along?
cynthia325
Posts: 485
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:43 pm

Re: How have M and T Inspired You?

Postby cynthia325 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:01 pm

^ Yes, this goes along with my offensive-ness I suppose. :lol: We should be able to say what we want! South Park has taught us that very lesson through-out all 15 seasons.
Ex1lepr0
Posts: 3185
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:41 pm

Re: How have M and T Inspired You?

Postby Ex1lepr0 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:04 pm

^^Well, with restraint. Sometimes life is easier if you keep words in your head rather than saying them. If I don't know this lesson already, I better know by boot camp.
Can't we all just get along?
H12
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:41 am

Re: How have M and T Inspired You?

Postby H12 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:35 pm

As an aspiring writer/director/actor, they've inspired me to see anything is not only possible but can be made plausible given the right set-up. It connects me to them even more to see them successfully make the jump to Broadway. As an aspiring comedian, they're also probably the most influential voices in the sea of funny people I've given my attention.

Here's to hoping they have continued success with and after South Park.
Unassumption
Posts: 3849
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 8:49 pm

Re: How have M and T Inspired You?

Postby Unassumption » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:53 pm

Though I'm not there yet and might never be, and most of the journey has nothing to do with the show, the show's transformed me into a more critical thinker and social person, in some ways it can be thought of as an inspiration. I disagree with most of what they say now, but I've got to thank them for bringing up issues most shows wouldn't even mention, getting me to think about them. Since it and this site got me at the right period of my life it had a disproportionate effect on who I tuned out to be for a cartoon.
AND BY THE WAY, I WIN
CartmansWhore
Posts: 595
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:03 pm

Re: How have M and T Inspired You?

Postby CartmansWhore » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:44 am

Ex1lepr0 wrote: Sometimes life is easier if you keep words in your head rather than saying them.


I know this feeling bc I have a hard time doing this myself. I just don't feel right lying to ppl and when I speak the truth it ends up hurting them. I don't think about what I say half the time!! I'm a lot like Cynthia up there and seems like I relate on a lot of her same issues; being diplomatic and polite is incredibly hard for me because it doesn't feel natural. Makes sense?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the thread's subject, Idk if I have shared this before but after watching TA and its behind the scenes footage, I literally changed my major to film production because I thought it'd be cool. Obv it didn't last long bc I left college soon after.

Anyway on this same note, I've been working on a music/entertainment site w my co-founder since 2007 and I admire how M&T made their own way becoming super successful from doing what they love despite lots of rejection from Hollywood and such; now they've got a musical totally kicking Broadway's ass. I hope to eventually make my mark on the world too!
“The basis of all reasoning is the mind's awareness of itself. What we think, the external objects we perceive, are all like actors that come on and off stage. But our consciousness, the stage itself, is always present to us,” Trey Parker
The Silver Banana
Posts: 168
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:03 am

Re: How have M and T Inspired You?

Postby The Silver Banana » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:26 am

They've taught me the meaning of democracy: the right to choose between a giant douche and a turd sandwich.
________________________________________________________
It's not pedophilia if they should be your age by now.
Brendle
Posts: 583
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:26 pm

Re: How have M and T Inspired You?

Postby Brendle » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:35 pm

cynthia325 wrote:I don't know if this falls in the category, but I want to share why they mean so much to me.

As I shared with you all in the respected thread, the last episode really hit home for me. All my life I was the cynical one, the bitch, "omg you're so rude sometimes, Cindy!" I've been bold and blunt about everything and anything. The problem is that I am really a nice, sweet person, but I happen to be very outspoken. I'm not considerate when I say something, I don't care who's around. I have never set out to be a bitch or to be cold. I just say things that seem harsh. It has hurt me in the friend department. It has even caused me trouble with my own family. I always thought something was wrong with me. I even went to two sessions with a therapist because I didn't think the way I spoke or thought was normal! Every week on South Park, I laugh and think "geez, at least they get it too!" I am speaking about a topic they may cover that week or maybe something cruel that Cartman says. I have agreed with Matt and Trey on just about every topic they've covered or talked about.

Then I heard Matt say something that struck a cord for me in an interview. The interviewer was asking Matt and Trey how they decide who to go after every week. Matt simply said that they don't purposefully go after anyone. "We're just offensive people." And yet Matt and Trey seem to be social happy people, yet they are "just offensive"? It got me thinking... that's ok. I can be offensive. Look at those guys! They made an awesome cartoon show and they have a huge following! People love them! They're America's great humorists! I shouldn't have to feel guilty or ashamed just because I am "offensive" or "a bitch". And since I've embraced who I am and how I react to the criticism, I'm comfortable now. Since I have been more confident about my attitude, I have made more friends in my adult life.

Recently I got a compliment from one of my male friends. He was having problems with this girl and I was giving him advice. He said "Cindy, we need to clone you because there are not many attractive, confident, blunt women who understand men." It just made me giggle and feel good about myself. Beside the fact that he said attractive, he also said blunt and confident.

I look up to Matt and Trey for that very reason. They gave me confidence. I am lucky to have great role models, whether they know it or not.

Great post. Be yourself and do you.

Matt and Trey are the mavericks/renegades of television. With four crappily-drawn cartoon boys, they have taken on the world. They've done everything they could possibly have wanted to accomplish in life...they've spoken their minds on issues, and injected everything about themselves into their show...the spirit of Colorado is in the show...

They have put EVERY aspect of their identity/being into this show. It defines them.

Cartman is the personification of their darkest and most sinisterly honest thoughts/prejudices. Stan/Kyle is their rational side. Randy usually represents the viewpoint they don't agree with...that they like to mock.

As for what they've taught me:

- Don't take life too seriously. Stop being so super-serial about everything.
- Don't be mean. Being mean for the sake of it is lame.
- Respect everybody's beliefs, no matter what they believe in.
- Stand up for what you believe in.

As for how they've inspired me:

- I'm trying to be a writer. This year I'm going to attempt to write a novel and if all goes to plan...it will have everything that is me, in it.
- I'm trying to be a comedian somehow...I've tried stand-up before and done well. I'm going to keep going. I'm going to drop a bomb on the world some day. Maybe not an atomic bomb, like South Park/Eminem did...but a bomb.

PS: I want to read Zazaban's writing.
My name is Brendle, and I think Trey Parker is a genius.
triplemultiplex
Posts: 6136
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:24 am

Re: How have M and T Inspired You?

Postby triplemultiplex » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:40 pm

They've taught me the golden rule of South Park which I try and sometimes* fail to live up to:

No matter what your beliefs or opinions or lifestyle, don't be a fucking douchebag about it.




* = or often
__________________________________________________

You read it! You can't unread it!
cynthia325
Posts: 485
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:43 pm

Re: How have M and T Inspired You?

Postby cynthia325 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:59 pm

triplemultiplex wrote:They've taught me the golden rule of South Park which I try and sometimes* fail to live up to:

No matter what your beliefs or opinions or lifestyle, don't be a fucking douchebag about it.




* = or often

A very important theme that is found in all (a lot) of their work! Good point =) It makes sense as to why I appreciate what they have to say every week. They point out how stupid some people are; like people that are extremely green or Tom Cruise. Or how far people will go to make their opinions/feelings known.

Return to “General South Park Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests