How Did You Become A Fan?

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

BigGuy101

How Did You Become A Fan?

Postby BigGuy101 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:22 pm

Hey, it's Robert. I'm curious to know how you guys/girls got to know South Park. I'd be more than happy tell you how I became a fan.

My Story:
Well in 1998, I saw a few episodes of South Park, but I couldn't get into it. Then in the summer of 1999, I was probably 11 (I'm 24 now), me and couple of buddies were went out to see this movie. The problem was, we didn't know what to see. So we just picked a random movie. We landed on "South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut". It was the best movie I've seen that whole year, well that and "Toy Story 2". That's when I really started to gain interest, I'm surprised they let us in. Well a few weeks passed, then on a Thursday, they had a South Park marathon. I watched the whole marathon. I kept on watching the series, saw reruns of old episodes, and never missed new ones. In 2006, I got a check from my grandmother, it was part of her final will and testoment: 100,000 dollars. Well, they had 60% discount on all South Park DVDs. I bought Seasons 1 - 8 and the movie. I bought Seasons 9 - 14 this year and the movie again on Blu-ray. I'm always on the look for any future releases. I love the show.

But I'm not the only one in my family who likes South Park: there's my little brother and my dad... even my ex-girlfriend Amanda likes it too (we don't see eye-to-eye these days), I used to have a daughter who I woud stay up late and I would watch a few episodes with (I really miss her; yeah I was a young father).

That's just my story about how I got to know South Park. What's your's?
Last edited by BigGuy101 on Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My favorite SP characters: Cartman and Butters.

My favorite food: anything pasta related.
Acehigh

Re: How Did You Become A Fan?

Postby Acehigh » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:39 pm

That's a great story. I don't have that. I just saw a few episodes on tv and liked it more and more with each episode + getting to know the characters.

I remember seeing a little clip of a SP episode when I was about 11 or 12 too, but I didn't understand it then and thought it was crap :p.
What is the most resilient parasite? An idea. Resilient... highly contagious. Once an idea has taken hold of the brain it's almost impossible to eradicate. An idea that is fully formed - fully understood - that sticks; right in there somewhere.
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:28 pm

I was in High School in '97 when it started. I didn't have cable, and didn't get a chance to see it until it was in syndication in '05 or '06. I started taping them, and then found the website when I was trying to start cataloging the episodes I had (so I wouldn't "double-dip" as it were)
Unassumption

Postby Unassumption » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:57 am

My parents hated the show so I had to sneak into the only room with Sky after everyone was asleep and watch it. Mum often slept in that room and so I usually snuck onto the dialup net and came on sites like this to hear about this forbidden show before I watched most episodes. eventually mum caught me watching and didn't seem to care so i watch openly now, mostly online since we got ourselves broadband. Still this site (which i found because i wanted to play the cripple fight game...after seeing cripple fight when i snuck in) played a big part in me becoming a fan. Reading fanfic (esp on fosff.com) was probably as important as the show as was deviantart, though the show (and other m and t films) are cool.
AND BY THE WAY, I WIN
The Silver Banana

Postby The Silver Banana » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:57 am

There's a time and place for everything. And it's called college.

I started watching a few years ago (sophomore year), and really geeked out on the Coon and Friends Trilogy. I hadn't watched it before then because I didn't feel ready.

Postby kittykat1412 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:40 am

i got into it a few years ago. my guy friends kept singing the 'canada on strike' song, and i wanted to know wat the hell it was from.
my 1st ep was 'a little bit country' and i became immediately obsessed XD
Dethskulls

Postby Dethskulls » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:52 pm

Im 21 now, but around the early years of South Park, I was always told that it was stupid smut television from my parents, who wouldn't let me see it. Of course, that diddnt stop me from trying a few episodes. I remember sneaking away to friends' houses and seeing the fart ride in the episode I now know is Cow Days, and I remember the T&P Movie Trailer episode plus a few others that I dont think made sense to me at the time. But I guess it never caught on with me until literally just earlier this year when I stumbled onto a Youtube video about the Muhammad controversy, hich mentioned (the censorship of) SP episode 201. It intrigued me enough that I read more about SP and learned just how intelligent it can get. Thats what got me hooked. The good points/messages. Around this time, I saw used copies of the sesons DVDs on Amazon.com for dirt cheap. I bought all of them and ended up watching the entire seasons 1-13 in less than 4 weeks, and later bought 14. Needless to say, i'v become quite sucked in.
dmarques

Postby dmarques » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:58 pm

I had seen South Park for the first time when I was 14-15 years old but I hadn't follow it despite my father said me that it was very funny and "instructive". I just started follow it frequently a one year ago... every lunch time (it is one of the hours that SP is transmitted here in Brazil)... and now I am a fan. I have not seen an episode in which I have not given laughter.

Sorry for my english.
Kye-Pie

Postby Kye-Pie » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:04 am

i remeber that since South Park was one of the 'naughtier' shows,Since I was a pre-teen, I just HAD to watch it. The first episode i ever saw was "Proper Condom Usage" and I think I saw that episode somewhere around 2009,and i was 10 back then i think, but I really wasn't that into it. Near the end of May 2010,, my friend and me were in class watching a movie that was really boring, and since the teacher was very oblivios, we decided to go to Netflix on her Itouch, and she asked me what we should watch. At first we typed in random letters, but when we typed "S" the first thing that came up was South Park. We decided to watch that, and ever since seeing that I became a HUGE fan of South Park! :D
Fot

Postby Fot » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:48 am

I've always loved South Park ever since middle school, 5ish years ago. But when I received tickets to the Book of Mormon musical from my rich crazy uncle, I first thought "Oh a lame play". Theeeeeeeeen, i figured out it was made by Trey and Matt! It opened my eyes to their amazing creativity and humor. They are genious when it comes to this stuff! (I also now have a newfound appreciation for musicals)

After that day, I believe I have seen every piece of work by Trey and Matt, including all their movies, and currently, all their south park episodes! (I watch aloooooot) Their devotion to deliver the wittiest humor has actually inspired me to work harder! Strange eh?
Plus you fall in love with South Park and its characters.
LilianneKilledKenny

Postby LilianneKilledKenny » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:01 pm

When I was 6, my Dad, who loves comedy central and adult swim cartoons, let me watch the Ginger Kids episode and even though I didn't understand it I thought it was funny. My mom was furious and didn't let me watch it, but several years passed and I honestly didn't want to watch South Park anymore. A few months ago, I was really bored and was looking at everything in OnDemand, and I saw they had South Park, so I watched it and liked it. It wasn't until the posted "The Coon and Friends" and "Mysterion Rises" that I LOVED it. Watched those over and over, found "The Coon vs Coon and Friends" here, and now Im a huge fan!
Long Live Kenny
BigGuy101

Postby BigGuy101 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:02 pm

That's great everyone!
My favorite SP characters: Cartman and Butters.

My favorite food: anything pasta related.
~Michiyo77

Postby ~Michiyo77 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:42 pm

I grew up with South Park. I was born in 1997 (5-6 months before the show aired) and one of my earliest memories was my mom's Cartman talking doll. I didn't see the show until I was 8, when I stumbled upon it on YouTube by mistake. I'd watch clips on there all the time of South Park, mostly the movie, and my mom didn't really mind.

It wasn't until I was 11 that I saw my first South Park episode (I forgot which one), and I loved it. I found this site when I was 12 and now I have watched almost every episode at least once (some around 10 times o__o'') and whenever a new episode of south Park is on, I always watch it on TV.
KennyLuv123

Postby KennyLuv123 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:01 pm

When I was a really little kid, I thought south park was a little kids show. I watched it ALOT. I was too little to understand they were swearing, and what they were doing. I just liked the way they looked and sounded like. Especially Cartman. Well, as I got older, say, 8, I noticed it was an adults show. So, I stopped watching it. Then, when I think, I was eleven, I started watching 14 plus shows, finding the jokes funny and such. (Dont worry, My dad let me XD) Then, On my favorite channel, South park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut was on, So I decided to watch it. After that, I got hooked, and started watching the show again.
Joe1101

Postby Joe1101 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:10 pm

My story:

I saw it on TV like, 2008, but didn't really care. Then 2011, I saw it again, and enjoyed it very much. Then I watched it with my cousin, and then I wanted to know if there were any site like this, to view full episodes, and it were, I found this site, made an account, and now I'm here.
Last edited by Joe1101 on Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm Swedish, born 1998, so my spelling/grammar may sometimes be incorrect.

Return to “General South Park Discussion”