How Did You Become A Fan?

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

AngusMcTavish

Re: How Did You Become A Fan?

Postby AngusMcTavish » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:52 am

As a fan of animation, including some '90s shows that would sicken my parents, the show caught my attention from Episode One.

I set up the ol' VCR to catch the premiere, but I watched it at the same time, anyway. Next thing I knew, I was showing it to my brothers, who seemed to enjoy it more than I!

And the rest, as they say, is history!
Last edited by AngusMcTavish on Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mamont

Postby Mamont » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:37 am

My first contact with South Park was around '99, when I saw this on MTV: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htjHVTGf ... re=related

It was hilarious. In 2000 they aired the show on our TV. Of course, I watched it from the begining. And that's was it. It only took one episode, and I was hooked.
Turdle Dove

Postby Turdle Dove » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:36 pm

I had just returned home from rehab and couldn't stand any more reality so I plugged in my crappy TV and the only channel that I could get aired South Park reruns. I almost turned it off because I, like many others, assumed it was not worth watching based on a few glimpses of out of context smutty, lowbrow humor.
But I didn't turn it off because watching something I didn't like was better than watching myself go insane from the disturbing thoughts in my serotonin-deprived brain. Almost immediately I realized I had been quick to judge. I was surprised by the intelligent social commentary and by the accurate portrayal of personality, relationships and stereotypes. I was fascinated by the characters' expressions, and by how their little faces could show so much emotion with such simple animation. South Park was the only thing that made me laugh during those first few months of sobriety, and it was a raw, deep laugh that came from an honest place, and that was new for me. I really needed to laugh. I consider South Park an integral part of my success in recovery from heroin abuse (five years clean on 10/28/2011 :wink: ), and I have proudly stated this at many meetings.
South Park is the only TV show I watch and the only reason I have cable. I clear my calendar for new episodes and watch the old episodes regularly on this site. My mom and I have laughed ourselves to tears over Baby-Fart-McGeezax (or is it Baby-Fark?) and the music that plays when the men are bouncing on their hippity-hop balls.
I was initially devastated by "You're Getting Old" but have since come to terms with the fact that someday there will no longer be new episodes, and I look forward to whatever Matt and Trey create in the future. :D
Turdle Dove

Postby Turdle Dove » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:41 pm

I love how you have given laughter! That's awesome!

dmarques wrote: I have not seen an episode in which I have not given laughter. Sorry for my english.
PsychoSongtress

Postby PsychoSongtress » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:27 pm

Hiddy-Ho! I have just recently became a fan of South Park! I'm 22 and before last week I really have only watched a few episodes of south park. I mainly knew about it from random songs on mix cd's I've recieved from my friends. However since I've been on netflix I noticed that the complete series, (Minus the newest season) was on to watch instantly. I have made it to season 7, I have acutally just watched the 100th episode. It's really addictive and I can't stop watching it. It's great!
joeslppy2

Postby joeslppy2 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:50 pm

Well, in 1997 my mom saw the first episode and loved it. :D Then in 2001, I saw the episode where kenny actually dies, and then I said, if a animated comedy can make you laugh and cry it's a good one! But in 2007, when the imaginationland movie, came out in stores, I bought right away.8) And that movie might be even funnier then the Simpsons movie! I've been a fan but I'm tired of the long breaks the middle of the season! :lol: :parishilton:
Last edited by joeslppy2 on Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
BigGuy101

Postby BigGuy101 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:57 pm

joeslppy2 wrote:Well, in 1997 my mom saw the first episode and loved it. :D Then in 2001, I saw the episode where kenny actually dies, and then I said, if a animated comedy can make you laugh and cry it's a good one! But in 2007, when the adventureland movie, came out in stores, I bought right away.8) And that movie might be even funnier then the Simpsons movie! I've been a fan but I'm tired of the long breaks the middle of the season! :lol: :parishilton:

It's Imaginationland, not Adventureland. Still, pretty cool. Not very many people in my family are fond of SOUTH PARK, with the exception of my dad and little brother of course.
My favorite SP characters: Cartman and Butters.

My favorite food: anything pasta related.
Ilovekyle22

Postby Ilovekyle22 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:56 pm

I became a fan a couple of years ago. I started watching the show with a couple of friends and loved it. All of the kids of South Park are so cute ! I now own every single episode up to date.
starlitlight

Postby starlitlight » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:35 am

I don't quite remember how I become a SP fan, but I've been watching the show since I was in middle school and still do. South Park always makes me relaxes/simmer down when I feel down in the dumps and never disappoints me. It's the best animated show after The Simspons :P
Favorite characters: Stan, Cartman and Butters
Favorite episodes: Whale Whores, My future self n me, Cartman gets an anal probe, Raisins
Favorite pairing: Stan/Cartman :)
southparkgirl19

Postby southparkgirl19 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:02 pm

I guess it started when a friend tried to do the fishsticks joke on me. but i don't like fishsticks, so it went like this.
friend: do you like fishsticks?
me: um, no?
friend: damn
so I asked what the hell was that all about and she showed me a clip from the episode. I liked it and started watching, ever sense then I've been hooked
TiaMantova

Postby TiaMantova » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:26 am

it was love at first sight! here was broadcasted for the first time in 2000 (when i was 11).

for some years has not been broadcasted because of protests by catholic associations. fortunately MTV Italy since 2007 broadcasts 2 episodes a day.
Southparkkicksass91

Postby Southparkkicksass91 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:17 am

When I saw my first cripple fight LMFAO. :cartmanevillaugh:
maxbjr

Postby maxbjr » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:42 pm

I'd see a few shows here and there from 1998 or 1999, and always thought the show was funny. But it wasn't until last year when I started renting the online netflicks version, did I get into and understand the whole storyline and lore built up around South Park.
kingcoot

Postby kingcoot » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:18 pm

In 1997 Peteski (How I know him on the internet) from California was going to send me some RedDwarf Extras on VHS and said BTW I have this recording of something called southpark that is supposed to be on this fall. I said ok whatever.

The Spirit of Christmas was on that VHS and I watched it and ended up loving that short. I thought it was cool how they swore alot yet it still had a pretty good message. I got the episodes off the net for a while since I didn't have cable. Eventually 3 years later in college I got to see the episodes on TV as they aired.

Like alot of people I was sold on the show after seeing the Spirit of Christmas.

I now have all the season's on DVD and played World Of Warcraft for a while just because they had a trial copy of the season 10 DVD.

Now days I just can't wait for March and October to roll around. The series of Southpark just makes me as happy as I was when I first got to see it in highschool.
Liianna

Postby Liianna » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:17 am

In the summer of 2011 I was totally bored. My mom went to Mexico to visit my grandma so my dad was there for me and my sister. We were bored so my dad said he would rent us a movie. We went to Blockbuster and when we got there we found out it was closing so we couldn't rent a movie instead we bought one. Back then I had heard of South Park but didn't really like it. My sister is one year older than me and she liked South Park, there was the complete season 8 there so she got it. We watched it and I admit, I thought it wasn't so bad. A week later i found out South Park passed at 11pm where I live. I watched a couple episode each day and started liking South Park. When my mom came back from Mexico she bought me a laptop (because I wanted to go to Mexico but she said no because it was dangerous). I searched their website and started watching from season 1. I made it my mission to watch each South Park episode in order from season 1 to season 15, and I did! :D Now I know I'm only 12 but I LOVE South Park and I'm addicted! Can't wait 'till next Wednesday
I LOVE KYLE!!!! I'm his whore!!!!!!!! Love South Park and my fav. episode would be.... Insheeption!! I love you Matt and Trey you guys are awesome! Can't wait till the next episode!

Return to “General South Park Discussion”