Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

saggyfliptard

My Point of View For South Park Seasons 12-15

Postby saggyfliptard » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:37 am

*/Small Spoiler Alert\*

Hio.

As you can see, I am back..

Anyhoo, I had just completed getting my tenth season of South Park, that being Season 5. I could have gotten Season 12 or 13, but suddenly I started thinking..

So far, all the South Park ever since Season 11 has been more of a.. Dramatic type, Season-by-season. Season 11 was quite funny, with every episode having a funny topic to it. Season 12 kind of just.. Blew it out it's ass a little, but it was okay.

Now Season 13, that was a little better than Season 12, but it was still rather...... Meh.

Season 14 was where there was more dramatic dialog/topics more than comedy...

And Season 15, had the worst. Was it funny? Yes, it was, in-fact. But just think -- HUMANCENTiPad was hilarious in my opinion. Then came Funnybot, which made me ROFL. But from there on, it had dramatic parts. For example, "You're Getting Old", and "Ass Burgers". Were they funny topics? No, they were dramatic. Were there funny jokes involved? Yes. The latest and final episode of Season 15, "The Poor Kid", was a rather dramatic topic. Two boys and a girl getting taken to a foster home, where they're sprayed with Dr. Pepper.. Yet, the twist of Papst Blue Ribbon was hilarious. Also the part with the Penn State and Yo Momma jokes was funny as well. Yet, so far the point has been taken, sort of.

Matt and Trey might be running out of ideas, but they need to look at the old episodes, or remember them at least, and find some way to spin it off. I realize they have.. What.. 5.. 6 days to start and finish? Yet, I found Seasons 1 - 11 extremely hilarious. There were very few episodes with dramatic points.

..Lets take "Kenny Dies" from Season 5 for example. Kenny is taken to the hospital, and Stan has problems seeing him with all those wires and machines. Yet, parts in it were funny, just like the recent seasons. (12 - 15)

I just want Matt and Trey, or someone who sees this to get it to them, to see that most everyone here wants Season 16 to be as good as Season 5 or 6.

Like Matt/Trey said on the episode "Flashbacks (City on the Edge Forever)" in the mini-commentary on the DVD.. "When we run out of ideas, we do a flashback...etc..etc..etc.."

Please just get my point through. I love South Park.........

~*(Sag)*~
Im baaaaaack!

Hey, yknow whats funny?

Your face?

Exactly. <_>
NeuroHeart

Re: My Point of View For South Park Seasons 12-15

Postby NeuroHeart » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:27 am

I want season 16 to be as good as season 15. I thought season 15 was awesome (with only one exception) so I'd be perfectly happy with another season as good. I thought season 14 was awesome, too. I don't really understand all the whining about recent seasons.
To believe in something just because you're afraid of the consequences if you don't believe in something is no reason to believe in something.
maxbjr

Postby maxbjr » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:23 pm

People change, and after 16 + years Matt & Trey have changed. There's no way they could write the same type of shows they did for the first 5 seasons. They've grown older and their point of view has shifted. Personally I think South Park is headed in the right direction and I like the last few seasons.
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:17 pm

It's a fool's errand to try and recapture what they were doing a decade ago. It's just not possible. That's like demanding that The Simpsons go back to the way it was in the early/mid 90's. It's just not going to happen. Even when you have the same people working on it, they're not the same they were 10 or 15 years earlier. Neither are we, the viewers. The culture is also different. That tri-fecta of a great idea well executed for the right audience in the right time period is not something you can manufacture.

They're still doing really, really good stuff; it's just not the same really, really good stuff they used to do. I'll enjoy it for what it is now, because that's the only option.

You read it! You can't unread it!
armenia4ever

Postby armenia4ever » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:24 pm

There is a kind of raw feeling to alot of the earlier episodes. The 4 boys seem much sassier as well.

What I do miss is Jesus and Pals, as well as Cartman's use of "Authoritah" Seriously, when was the last time we heard him say it?
WHAT DO YOU STAND FOR - The Ghost Inside

This....is.... Bullcrap!

Libertarianism is the Radical Notion that you don't own other people. Consistent Liberty/Freedom is always consistent and should never be sacrificed for Equality.
saggyfliptard

Postby saggyfliptard » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:35 pm

armenia4ever wrote:There is a kind of raw feeling to alot of the earlier episodes. The 4 boys seem much sassier as well.

What I do miss is Jesus and Pals, as well as Cartman's use of "Authoritah" Seriously, when was the last time we heard him say it?

....He said it in Last of the Meheecans in Season 15.......
Im baaaaaack!

Hey, yknow whats funny?

Your face?

Exactly. <_>
Lyon82

Postby Lyon82 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:14 am

It's a matter of progress. As mentioned, it is natural for writing to change as one gets older. When South Park started, it was effectively college humor by twenty somethings who thought kids cursing and poop humor was the best combination to exist in the history of comedy. Those episodes have great moments to be sure, but they were kinda crude and immature. Given M&T are in their 40s now it would be forced and inauthentic if they forced themselves to write in the same manner as those early seasons. You grow up and you find your sense of humor and interests shift. South Park isn't giving up on toilet humor (Humancentipad, YGO and Reverse Cowgirl as proof), but there's a lot of other things to write about and parody on their little 22 min platform. Writers are always better when they write about something they like.

It's not a matter of good/bad but just evolution. Comedy is subjective and as you get older your tastes change. if you're a writer, it'll end up showing in your work without fail.
Last edited by Lyon82 on Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
JVM

Postby JVM » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:39 pm

"I haven't changed, the world has! Don't you see it?"

When you're on-air for fifteen years, things are going to change. A lot. South Park's seen fifteen years, two major wars, and three Presidential administrations. The world has changed a lot.

But look at any comedy show with longevity and things have changed and often at similar points: 2001 and 2008 being the prime ones. Why? Because the world changed. M&T blatantly admit in the DVD commentaries that producing the 9/11-response episode "Osama bin Laden Has Farty Pants" made them realize "South Park is kinda how [we] deal with the world" (paraphrased) And in 2008, the world economy began to tank.

Family Guy, The Simpsons, and other animated comedies have all dealt with more serious topics in recent years, too, and it's part of why many perceive a declining quality in both shows. But it's a lot harder to make people laugh at a time when the world's situation is a lot more serious.

Now, I do think M&T could put a little more effort into staying true to older episodes, yeah. It'd be nice if older characters got used a little more often. But obviously, we can't have EVERY episode like the good ol' days. But episodes like "Royal Pudding" show that area has potential. That episode was all silly and we got some nice callbacks.

I, for one, like the serious episodes. South Park may be a comedy, but it has never been a 'haha, funny funny' show - the comedy has served a very serious purpose for over a decade now, and that is to be a form of modern satire. But on the same note, what sets South Park apart is even at it's most serious, virtually every storyline ends on an optimistic note. This is something Trey's always stressed, even in his Penn and Teller interview in 2006.

Plus, you know, the serious stuff is part of the joke sometimes - all of the dramatic buildup in the Coon and Friends Trilogy was really basically build-up for Mint-Berry Crunch saving the day.
South Park is a platform for Matt and Trey's social commentary and satire; there is no canon and these characters only serve as tools for self-expression. Don't get attached.

Return to “General South Park Discussion”