"Normal" looking Canadians?

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

alphanumrc

"Normal" looking Canadians?

Postby alphanumrc » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:20 pm

I've noticed some "normal" looking Canadians in some of the episodes.
Jim Carry (You're Getting Old)
Justin Biber (Coon Vs Coon and Friends)
Sarah Mclaughlin (Crack Baby Athletic Association)

Can anyone think of any others?
KennyStanWendyFan

Re: "Normal" looking Canadians?

Postby KennyStanWendyFan » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:56 pm

Alanis Morisette in Chef Aid (the Stinky Britches video). That's all I can think of other than the ones you mentioned.
NeuroHeart

Postby NeuroHeart » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:45 pm

The pattern I have seen is that any real-life Canadian celebrity that is not appearing in a Canada-based episode appears as an avatar of their real-life features, rather than as a flappy headed Canadian. Hence, the shortest list would be of Canadian celebrities looking Canadian:
Celine Dione in "Not Without My Anus" (Repeatedly referred to by her full name, so we would know who she was. The entire episode happened from a Canadian point of view, that of Terrance and Phillip.)
Brian Adams, Corey Hart, and the guys from Rush in "Royal Pudding" (Also conveniently told from a Canadian viewpoint, that of Ike, and referred to by name with the help of the running commentary on the wedding or the news reports.)

That's all I can remember. There were only two other episodes that happened primarily in Canada or focused on Canada, and I can't remember "Canada on Strike" or "Christmas in Canada" referencing any real-life celebrities.
At all other times, Canadians who are celebrities in real life are made to look like their real life selves. There's probably a decently long list to be found in "200" alone, and more are certainly scattered throughout the show.
To believe in something just because you're afraid of the consequences if you don't believe in something is no reason to believe in something.
alphanumrc

Postby alphanumrc » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:44 pm

Would be funny if they addressed this, when Canadians become a celebrity in the states the public perception of them transforms them into a "normal" looking person.
Last edited by alphanumrc on Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
KennyStanWendyFan

Postby KennyStanWendyFan » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:55 pm

Does this apply to internet celebrities as well? Star Wars Kid is from Quebec and yet he was depicted as a normal-looking person in Canada on Strike (an episode about Canada, ironically).
alphanumrc

Postby alphanumrc » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:27 pm

lol You're right. He was from Quebec! lol
Last edited by alphanumrc on Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
alphanumrc

Postby alphanumrc » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:22 am

Tommy Chong in Cherokee Hair Tampons!
alphanumrc

Postby alphanumrc » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:10 pm

Tom Green (Fat Camp)
(ugly)Bob

Postby (ugly)Bob » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:43 am

this strikes me odd but its to make the people recognizable
"We're all just a bunch of multi-coloured humans!"
alphanumrc

Postby alphanumrc » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:54 pm

(ugly)Bob wrote:this strikes me odd but its to make the people recognizable

For sure.
Last edited by alphanumrc on Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
alphanumrc

Postby alphanumrc » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:12 pm

Also, did anyone else see the canadian style square wheels on Mythbusters? lol Good for snow maybe.
(ugly)Bob

Postby (ugly)Bob » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:32 pm

hahaha yes your correct with that! its weird, i was fully expecting to say something about South Park Canada.
"We're all just a bunch of multi-coloured humans!"
KennyStanWendyFan

Postby KennyStanWendyFan » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:10 am

Inversely, what about non-Canadians who possess Canadian traits? For example, at one point in Starvin' Marvin, we see what is essentially an Ethiopian Ike. Of course, this was before Ike's design was established to be the Canadian look. Nevertheless, I wonder if this kid could have some Canadian blood in him...

Saddam's flapping head is also very reminiscent of Canadians, which likely has to do with the fact that he made his first major appearance in Not Without My Anus. (Some might note the photograph of the unnamed Iraqi leader, presumably Saddam Hussein since he was the real life Iraqi leader in 1998, in Tom's Rhinoplasty; he looked normal in said photograph as this episode aired before Saddam became an established South Park character).
alphanumrc

Postby alphanumrc » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:55 am

KennyStanWendyFan wrote:Inversely, what about non-Canadians who possess Canadian traits? For example, at one point in Starvin' Marvin, we see what is essentially an Ethiopian Ike. Of course, this was before Ike's design was established to be the Canadian look. Nevertheless, I wonder if this kid could have some Canadian blood in him...

Saddam's flapping head is also very reminiscent of Canadians, which likely has to do with the fact that he made his first major appearance in Not Without My Anus. (Some might note the photograph of the unnamed Iraqi leader, presumably Saddam Hussein since he was the real life Iraqi leader in 1998, in Tom's Rhinoplasty; he looked normal in said photograph as this episode aired before Saddam became an established South Park character).

In Not Without My Anus the Iranian people have flappy heads too but I think the intention might have been that they're all Canadian actors lol.
When did Starvin' Marvin have a Flappy head?
KennyStanWendyFan

Postby KennyStanWendyFan » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:59 pm

Marvin himself didn't have a floppy head, but at one point (I think towards the end when they're delivering the dead turkeys to Ethiopia), there's a crowd shot of Ethiopians and one of them is an African Ike.

Return to “General South Park Discussion”