Main characters personalities come form Matt & Trey's own?

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

clubbinguy

Main characters personalities come form Matt & Trey's own?

Postby clubbinguy » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:18 am

I'm kinda high so forgive me if this is way off base, but does anyone else think that Randy kind of represents Trey in his adult life, and Gerald represents Matt? I mean beyond the voices, obviously. Same thing with Stan and Kyle, representing the duo in their respective childhoods. Whenever a character voiced by Trey gets in a disagreement with a character voiced by Matt, I always get the feeling the basis for this writing was a real life disagreement between Trey and Matt (ie. Kyle thinks Family Guy is funny, but Cartman hates them with a passion).

Just a feeling I always got anyway.
BRMBug

Re: Main characters personalities come form Matt & Trey's ow

Postby BRMBug » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:05 am

Maybe just a little. I still think they use the boys more as their own sounding board rather than the parents.
CartmansWhore

Postby CartmansWhore » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:40 am

clubbinguy wrote:I'm kinda high so forgive me if this is way off base, but does anyone else think that Randy kind of represents Trey in his adult life, and Gerald represents Matt? I mean beyond the voices, obviously. Same thing with Stan and Kyle, representing the duo in their respective childhoods. Whenever a character voiced by Trey gets in a disagreement with a character voiced by Matt, I always get the feeling the basis for this writing was a real life disagreement between Trey and Matt (ie. Kyle thinks Family Guy is funny, but Cartman hates them with a passion).

Wondered this myself
“The basis of all reasoning is the mind's awareness of itself. What we think, the external objects we perceive, are all like actors that come on and off stage. But our consciousness, the stage itself, is always present to us,” Trey Parker
Unassumption

Postby Unassumption » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:29 am

I think they originally did but they've developed from where they were in season 1 and become their own characters.

It would be funny and very self-depricating if Randy was meant to be Trey (and in it's own way if Gerald was meant to be Matt!)
AND BY THE WAY, I WIN
willowrose

Postby willowrose » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:31 am

clubbinguy wrote: Whenever a character voiced by Trey gets in a disagreement with a character voiced by Matt, I always get the feeling the basis for this writing was a real life disagreement between Trey and Matt (ie. Kyle thinks Family Guy is funny, but Cartman hates them with a passion).

Funny you mention this 'cause this has been debated for years but I haven't seen it brought up in a while.

I agree that you can get your point across using creativity but sometimes the characters take on such a strong personality you have to just let them lead the way. So in other words, maybe it is a way M&T settle disputes or it'd probably be more like them having a disagreement and then thinking it's funny and then thinking it'd be great material for the show. But sometimes it's just a script. You know?

I know when I write I'll sometimes be in a certain mood, a mood that's strong enough to effect the way a character responds to another character or the way they behave or whatever. But for the most part it's me sitting there thinking "how would THIS CHARACTER respond to THAT CHARACTER in this moment?"

So, what I'm trying to say is, it's fun to analyze but I wouldn't think too much into it. ;p It's more than likely just the way the characters have to react to the story line. But I'm pretty sure they have mentioned in the past that at least sometimes they'll turn a real life disagreement (or as what they seem to like to call "big argument") into a situation for the show. But that's probably less often than it is just the writers room coming up with script.

Unassumption wrote:
It would be funny and very self-depricating if Randy was meant to be Trey (and in it's own way if Gerald was meant to be Matt!)

True! ;p I think they were over exaggerations of their own parents at first but M&T are probably turning more and more into their dads these days anyway. ;p

And, I love Randy. I have some serious love for that man-character. :lol:
I don't have a signature
Sgt.YatesMonkeyBalls

Postby Sgt.YatesMonkeyBalls » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:41 am

Food for Thought: In You're Getting Old, Stan turned 10 and Sharon said Randy is 42. That same year, Trey turned 42 and his girlfriend's son was 10.

Gerald probably doesn't represent much, though. The Broflovskis in general aren't based that much on the Stones, especially in comparison to the Parker:Marsh parallels.
Characters Ranked by Speaking Appearances...y'know, if you care about useless, autistic trivia like that.

Favorite Characters: Randy, Yates, and Butters
Favorite Episode: Cartman's Incredible Gift
Favorite Pairing: Randy x Sharon

Return to “General South Park Discussion”