South Park: The Game delayed to 2013

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

CartmansWhore

South Park: The Game delayed to 2013

Postby CartmansWhore » Fri May 18, 2012 1:47 am

The RPG game will be 2,000-late

http://www.gamespot.com/news/south-park ... 13-6376812

South Park: The Game will not ship this fall as was previously announced. THQ today announced that the Obsidian Entertainment-developed role-playing game has slid to a release date of sometime during the first three months of 2013. The publisher did not provide a reason for the delay, and as of press time, the company had not responded to GameSpot's request for comment.

The news comes as part of THQ's latest financial report, which saw the company's net sales for the 12 months ended March 31 rise to $830.8 million, up from the $665.3 million recorded a year ago. It wasn't all rosy for THQ, as the company posted a net loss of $239.9 million for the period, worse than the $136.1 million hit the firm took the year prior.

The company's digital business was a boon for THQ, as revenues in this sector for the year spiked 62 percent to $59 million.

THQ also parsed statistics and let loose some new information for some of its biggest brands. The company said Saints Row: The Third has shipped more than 4.25 million units since its launch in November. Additionally, THQ revealed that the Enter the Dominatrix expansion for Saints Row: The Third will arrive this September. Previously, it was expected sometime this fall.

The company also broke down shipment figures for its major fighting games. THQ said WWE 12 has shipped more than 2.2 million units since its launch in November 2011, up about 20 percent over the previous year's game. Additionally, UFC Undisputed 3 has shipped 1.4 million units since it debuted in February, the company said.

In terms of platform revenue, the Xbox 360 proved most successful for THQ. Microsoft's home console accounted for 36.7 percent of total sales, generating $306.42 million in the process. The PlayStation 3 came in second place, accounting for 27.4 percent of the share, totaling $229.2 million. The Nintendo Wii (14.3 percent share, $119.5 million) and the PlayStation 2 (.4 share, $3.3 million) rounded out the rest.

THQ unveiled a new, streamlined business strategy earlier this year, and today, the company said when the plan is fully realized in fiscal 2013, it is expected to result in a reduction of costs totaling $180 million. Additionally, THQ said it has reduced its commitments to children's licensed properties by about $30 million and reiterated that it is no longer creating software or hardware for the uDraw GameTablet.
“The basis of all reasoning is the mind's awareness of itself. What we think, the external objects we perceive, are all like actors that come on and off stage. But our consciousness, the stage itself, is always present to us,” Trey Parker
Niels0827

Re: South Park: The Game delayed to 2013

Postby Niels0827 » Fri May 18, 2012 2:00 am

My understanding is that it's called "South Park: The Stick of Truth."

The publisher did not provide a reason for the delay

Gee, THQ...maybe it's because you assholes laid off 30 people working on the fucking game? Cunts.
mo303564

Postby mo303564 » Fri May 18, 2012 2:58 am

I'd have to see...because GameStop is already pre-ordering the game and set a release date for DECEMBER 31st (this is a really odd date for a game to be released!! :shock: )

So not sure yet. Unless they are really having problems with it, cause that is the presumtive date. It can change, but rarely do they once it is out.
RTL: I love being a dick to people for no reason. It makes me feel better about how my mom smacks me around with a frozen T Bone steak.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Sun May 20, 2012 8:21 am

Niels0827 wrote:My understanding is that it's called "South Park: The Stick of Truth."

The publisher did not provide a reason for the delay

Gee, THQ...maybe it's because you assholes laid off 30 people working on the fucking game? Cunts.

Indeed.

As to why the delay even happened, many speculate that Obsidian and South Park creators Matt Stone and Trey Parker want more time to polish the game, with THQ vice president Danny Bilson stating in a recent interview:

Matt and Trey won’t ship until it’s their vision of this ultimate role-playing game, where you’re the new kid in town and it’s like being in a South Park episode.

Another theory suggests the recent layoffs at Obsidian Entertainment might be the reason behind it, as members of the development team behind the South Park game were let go and with an unannounced title also getting binned in the process.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Mon May 21, 2012 12:30 am

Niels0827 wrote:My understanding is that it's called "South Park: The Stick of Truth."

I forgot about that. I guess I need to find a new name for my penis now.

thank you. i'll be here all week.
maytess12

Postby maytess12 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:51 pm

As an employee at GameStop and as a South Park fan, and also out of respect to Obsidian, I like that they delayed. Because it gives Mr. Parker, Mr. Stone, and all the hard-working people at Obsidian more to improve the game. Perhaps they can make it bigger than it is. A better storyline,

The reason they are delaying is because they are currently working on two games back to back: South Park: The Stick of Truth and Wasteland 2, a post-apocalyptic game.

South Park: The Stick of Truth (with Mr. Parker and Mr. Stone)

Obsidian's Wasteland 2 (with a man named Brian Fargo; the creator of Fallout)

Because I would rather South Park come out late and be f*cking masterpiece than have it come out early and a f*cking piece of crap game.
mo303564

Postby mo303564 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:39 pm

I cannot get over that giant Clyde :shock: I like Clyde too!!

I hope South Park devotes one episode (or half of one) this next run as kinda like a side note to the new video game.... :o
RTL: I love being a dick to people for no reason. It makes me feel better about how my mom smacks me around with a frozen T Bone steak.
maytess12

Postby maytess12 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:21 am

Rumors has it, Obsidan is incorporating post-apocalyptic versions of Stan, Kyle, Cartman, Kenny, and Butters into Wasteland 2 as DLCs.
Theyre doing the same with SP, theyre incorporating Wasteland 2 material into South Park: The Stick of Truth, through easter eggs.

Considering theyre working on 2 games at once, i wouldn't be surprised if both games had easter eggs of each other.
The Trilogy

Postby The Trilogy » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:30 pm

Me neither. Considering its always been Obsidian's thing (or tradition) to make two games at once, according to Game Infomer Magazine. I haven't played every single one of there games, but my cousin did let me borrow Obsidian's Fallout: New Vegas. And from what I played, it seems Obsidian knows what they're doing. Because New Vegas was a very polished game. So I'm very excited for South Park: The Stick of Truth.

If Obsidian is working two games at once, then it'll take time for both South Park: The Stick of Truth and Wasteland 2 to be ready. Matt Stone and Trey Parker are probably saying, "Oh great, now only half the team is helping us, this is gonna take forever." I really hope they can complete South Park by 2013 and I really hope it'll be a goodie. We deserve something great.

(I've never played Wasteland, and I don't give a sh*t about it either, but I hope it's fans get something great too)
DawnAvenue

Postby DawnAvenue » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:22 am

Alright,we'll meet a lot of games in 2013,such as GTA V,Watch Dog,Need For Speed 17 and so on.
Also,Hunger Game 2 will be shown in 2013.
stander-j

Postby stander-j » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:16 am

While this is a disappointment - I am looking at this with optimism. Brian Fargo, for those that do not know, was the creator of Wasteland, Fallout, and Fallout 2 - all of which are amazing games. A Wasteland, or a real Fallout sequel has been a long time coming. If there is any affiliation between the development of the South Park game, and Wasteland 2, get psyched - because Fargo's philosophy has always been, "By gamers, for gamers." Which is why he developed Interplay, and later InXile - after getting forced out of Interplay.
sticknoodles

Postby sticknoodles » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:31 pm

Awww long wait :|

Return to “General South Park Discussion”