They should really do something with Kenny

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

Kyoshuri

They should really do something with Kenny

Postby Kyoshuri » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:22 am

Why is Kenny still one of the four main characters? You might as well replace him with Butters, he appeared more than Kenny. (not really sure) Kenny has become a side character and his death are getting lame, I also seem to notice that Trey and Matt are running out of ideas. I wonder how they will continue :|

Do anyone else agree with me, that Kenny has become near useless and only good for deaths? Apparently, we need more Kenny episodes
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Re: They should really do something with Kenny

Postby Big-Will » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:38 am

They really should do something with him... hmm... yes, kill him for good, again! He's only ever been a prop anyway.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
Kyoshuri

Postby Kyoshuri » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:17 am

What they need to do is kill Kyle and I'll be fine . :D
Mamont

Postby Mamont » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:43 am

Big-Will wrote:They really should do something with him... hmm... yes, kill him for good, again! He's only ever been a prop anyway.

No!

Kyoshuri wrote:What they need to do is kill Kyle and I'll be fine . :D

Screw you! :P
zzyzx 1

Postby zzyzx 1 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:12 am

Without Kenny there would be no Mysterion :cry:
(ugly)Bob

Postby (ugly)Bob » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:50 am

NO! mysterion/kenny are the ingredients added to the south park franchise.

in other words.

One doth need Kenny to complete the famous four.
"We're all just a bunch of multi-coloured humans!"
Noog09

Postby Noog09 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:42 pm

Kenny has been a big character for the last few seasons. I don't see why he and Butters can't both have attention.
Lyon82

Postby Lyon82 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:03 pm

How does that make Kenny a more dynamic character? Kyle's not often the main character in the plot, but his stick in the mud aspects are kind of important in terms of balancing out both Cartman and Stan.

first rule of storytelling: conflict is everything (or writing is a harder job than God's depending on who you speak to). Cartman would be nowhere near as entertaining without having someone opposing his sociopathic actions. He also plays the logical side to Stan's emotionally driven ambitions.

the issue with Kenny is that when his character was conceived, they never expected the show to go on for a couple decades. The amusement of having some really obscene stuff getting through because of the muffled speech was amusing for awhile. And unfortunately his gimmick makes it hard to really develop him. they were able to make Stan and Kyle diverge over time by emphasizing certain character traits (Stan being idealistic and a bit of a straight man and Kyle's logical thinking and moral emphasis). When you have a character mumbling, it's hard to do much beyond physical humor. Thus you get deaths galore and his being an unapologetic pervert. It's one dimensional.

With the Mysterion arc, they managed to find a way for him to do something else. The outfit lets him speak unhindered and thus have a little more interesting dialogue. However, they aren't going to have them all constantly playing superhero so it has to be used sparingly. they've used it very well thus far, but can't really be more than once a season.

That said, he really was even less of a factor in this last season than normal. He disappeared entirely in Reverse Cowgirl after that first scene and hasn't really spoken. This season was exceptionally heavy on Cartman episodes, a couple Stan episodes and Kyle being relegated to perpetual foil/secondary. Usually the spread is a little more even, but this season has really skipped over everyone else.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:19 pm

Kyoshuri wrote:Why is Kenny still one of the four main characters?

After reviewing the posts above, the answer to your question is... Mysterion. Without him, Kenny would indeed be a side character.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
Kyoshuri

Postby Kyoshuri » Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:52 am

Lyon82 wrote:

How does that make Kenny a more dynamic character? Kyle's not often the main character in the plot, but his stick in the mud aspects are kind of important in terms of balancing out both Cartman and Stan.

first rule of storytelling: conflict is everything (or writing is a harder job than God's depending on who you speak to). Cartman would be nowhere near as entertaining without having someone opposing his sociopathic actions. He also plays the logical side to Stan's emotionally driven ambitions.

the issue with Kenny is that when his character was conceived, they never expected the show to go on for a couple decades. The amusement of having some really obscene stuff getting through because of the muffled speech was amusing for awhile. And unfortunately his gimmick makes it hard to really develop him. they were able to make Stan and Kyle diverge over time by emphasizing certain character traits (Stan being idealistic and a bit of a straight man and Kyle's logical thinking and moral emphasis). When you have a character mumbling, it's hard to do much beyond physical humor. Thus you get deaths galore and his being an unapologetic pervert. It's one dimensional.

With the Mysterion arc, they managed to find a way for him to do something else. The outfit lets him speak unhindered and thus have a little more interesting dialogue. However, they aren't going to have them all constantly playing superhero so it has to be used sparingly. they've used it very well thus far, but can't really be more than once a season.

That said, he really was even less of a factor in this last season than normal. He disappeared entirely in Reverse Cowgirl after that first scene and hasn't really spoken. This season was exceptionally heavy on Cartman episodes, a couple Stan episodes and Kyle being relegated to perpetual foil/secondary. Usually the spread is a little more even, but this season has really skipped over everyone else.

tl;dr
argh I didn't need all of that, I just hate Kyle.
Lyon82

Postby Lyon82 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:37 am

You asked why Kenny isn't used more and I responded with an explanation based on writing structure and storytelling methods. He's a character that is a great prop or running gag but hard to develop stories around for any length of time. That's why he was killed off for good once already.

You don't have to like any character; the point was that in terms of story structure, Kyle has impact on the show dynamics that would not be filled by Kenny.

And please do humanity a favor and do read something containing more characters than the average Kardiashian tweet. It's not that painful and might give you a little broader understanding of how any number of things work. tl;dr isn't going to pass in the real world.
Last edited by Lyon82 on Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
(ugly)Bob

Postby (ugly)Bob » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:32 am

its really a matter of time until they decide when to kill off Kenny.. They did try..
"We're all just a bunch of multi-coloured humans!"
Kyoshuri

Postby Kyoshuri » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:36 am

Lyon82 wrote:You asked why Kenny isn't used more and I responded with an explanation based on writing structure and storytelling methods. He's a character that is a great prop or running gag but hard to develop stories around for any length of time. That's why he was killed off for good once already.

You don't have to like any character; the point was that in terms of story structure, Kyle has impact on the show dynamics that would not be filled by Kenny.

And please do humanity a favor and do read something containing more characters than the average Kardiashian tweet. It's not that painful and might give you a little broader understanding of how any number of things work. tl;dr isn't going to pass in the real world.

True, I did say that. But you responded to the wrong thing, I said I hated Kyle and you went on a rant about how that make Kenny a more prominent character and other stuff I did not read. Also I really don't give a crap about Kardiashians, for I rarely watch TV and especially not that bullcrap. The reason why I didn't read because it was saying crap about Kyle and I really don't give a damn. See me now? I hate Kyle and his character (don't ask why)
Lyon82

Postby Lyon82 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:05 pm

You know, you left me speechless with your pure stupidity. You mention wanting Kenny to be more prominent and then later said they ought to off Kyle. You are the one who started the discussion and received responses. That's how a forum works. You may want to look up the definition for a rant it doesn't mean three paragraphs of rational, somewhat dry academic explanations. This post is closer, but still not quite there to give you a head start.

While you are at it, you may want to look up the definition of a metaphor considering your complete missing of the point on the Kardashian quip.

tl;dr version for generation twitter: Don't write things on the forum and get annoyed when someone actually responds to it. It makes you look like a dumbass.
Kyoshuri

Postby Kyoshuri » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:42 pm

Lyon82 wrote:You know, you left me speechless with your pure stupidity. You mention wanting Kenny to be more prominent and then later said they ought to off Kyle. You are the one who started the discussion and received responses. That's how a forum works. You may want to look up the definition for a rant it doesn't mean three paragraphs of rational, somewhat dry academic explanations. This post is closer, but still not quite there to give you a head start.

While you are at it, you may want to look up the definition of a metaphor considering your complete missing of the point on the Kardashian quip.

tl;dr version for generation twitter: Don't write things on the forum and get annoyed when someone actually responds to it. It makes you look like a dumbass.

I was responding to Big-Will because he said they should kill off Kenny good, then I said, instead of Kenny why not Kyle? You then went to show me about how Kyle is important to the show and I really did not care.

I know what a metapohor is and I knew that question was one I still answered, so what? I may be stupid, but oh well :lol: you can keep calling me on my stupidity, won't change nothing

Return to “General South Park Discussion”