Would you let YOUR children watch South Park?

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

CartmansWhore

Would you let YOUR children watch South Park?

Postby CartmansWhore » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:02 pm

I know many parents-mine included- who would answer no to this question. I remember my 'rents would always take the little ones out of the rooms every time I'd switch on the TV and watch SP.

So what do you think about it?
“The basis of all reasoning is the mind's awareness of itself. What we think, the external objects we perceive, are all like actors that come on and off stage. But our consciousness, the stage itself, is always present to us,” Trey Parker
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Re: Would you let YOUR children watch South Park?

Postby Big-Will » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:10 pm

Not anyone younger than 8, 'cause hell, the kids on the show were 8 when it began 15 years ago.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
CartmansWhore

Postby CartmansWhore » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:24 pm

I think personally any age is just fine by me.
“The basis of all reasoning is the mind's awareness of itself. What we think, the external objects we perceive, are all like actors that come on and off stage. But our consciousness, the stage itself, is always present to us,” Trey Parker
NeuroHeart

Postby NeuroHeart » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:15 pm

Purely hypothetical, since I don't have children, but I probably would not let my young children watch South Park, no. There are multiple reasons:
A young child might have trouble understanding the mature humor.
A young child might not fully understand that certain language isn't always appropriate, and get in trouble at school or at a friend's house.
Some young children (like a cousin of mine) are traumatized by mild conflict or violence, even in Disney movies designed for them; South Park would give such children nightmares.

This all applies to young children, in the single digits age-wise. Once a kid is close to entering middle school, I think it would be fine... Perhaps as young as eight or as old as twelve, but that would depend on the child.
To believe in something just because you're afraid of the consequences if you don't believe in something is no reason to believe in something.
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:02 pm

It depends on the age of the kid, and what episode it is.
CrocoDuck

Postby CrocoDuck » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:14 pm

Children really aren't mentally prepared for those types of shows.
That's why there's ratings.
Hit me up if you're in So Cal.
Zazaban

Postby Zazaban » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:22 am

Depends on the kid, depends on the episode. But by the age of twelve it's probably futile trying to stop them if they want to see it, and they probably know all the 'bad' stuff already anyway.
skurtz wrote:
nwt000 wrote:Get your trolling ass out of here!

I'm more friendlier drinking some espresso.
CartmansWhore

Postby CartmansWhore » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:17 am

Zazaban wrote:Depends on the kid, depends on the episode. But by the age of twelve it's probably futile trying to stop them if they want to see it, and they probably know all the 'bad' stuff already anyway.

I think so too.

In my opinion I think it's wrong to tell children not to curse or to be careful not offend anyone. Idk, I don't want kids myself in the future, but if I did have them this is the first thing I'd show them instead of the bs kid stuff that's out there rotting their brains.
Lyon82

Postby Lyon82 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:52 am

Absolutely not for young kids. As far as actual age of appropriateness goes, there's quite a bit of variance in terms of the content. Some of the episodes, particularly the early ones are rated almost entirely on language. Kids pick up on that in school and given my tendency to use four letter words in my regular speech, it's the part I would be least concerned about because they are going to have to learn not to use it in improper situations regardless of sheltering them.

However, you get to the episodes that are either incredibly dementedly violent or involve a lot of sexual functions that just isn't really what kids need to know at a young age. I don't want to have to explain urban dictionary terms for crude sex jokes to a pre-teen. They can look that up when their curiosity and hormones drive them toward legitimately caring.

And then there is the reality that I doubt a young child of this era would really get the point of many of the episodes. The themes behind the poop and fart humor is often far more complex than anything a child will comprehend. And then there is the abundance of pop culture references that will fly over the heads of anybody who cannot remember the era in which the episode is made. Would a kid really get why their portrayal of Barbra Streisand is hilarious much less who she or Robert Smith is? Rosie O'Donell? Jokes about old 90s internet memes getting paid in the fictional internet economy? I'd have to keep explaining the jokes they would have no hope of getting and if you have to explain the joke, it's ruined.

It's like someone watching the original Muppets show. It's awesome, but even with me in my early 30s, a good number of the guests are well before my time. My hubby in his late 30s fares a bit better because he can remember the 70s to some degree. If I try to watch that show with someone several years younger than me though, the writing seems entirely dated and while certain humorous aspects hold up well, the culture references is entirely foreign to them.

Yeah, like it or not, one day South Park is going to be old fashioned humor that old folks watch as they grouse about the talentless hacks currently writing for shows.
(ugly)Bob

Postby (ugly)Bob » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:15 am

yes. but only when they know its wrong to rip on people and shove gerbils up their arses.
"We're all just a bunch of multi-coloured humans!"
Stanluv25

Postby Stanluv25 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:59 am

In an easy world I wouldn't let my kids under the age of... 14 or so watch. Maybe 15. But kids will be kids and will break rules and find ways to go against their parents' backs. But no way in hell would I allow my kids under 12 or so watch without punishment. It is too violent, gross, and full of adult themes that no child 12 or under should see. I would not want my child to be fooled into thinking every cartoon is for kids. Some should not be seen by kids, especially those that are on later in the day or at night.

But again, only in a perfect world.
I love: Stan, Butters, Cartman, Sharon.

I ship: Stan/Cartman <3

Stan: MMOOMM!!
Sharon: What is it honey? (gasp!) My baby's killed again!
Haa, I love that line.
Mamont

Postby Mamont » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:39 pm

It depends on the episode. For example The Poor Kid is safe for any 10 year old to watch. I mean, Kenny turning into a superhero and protecting his little sister... OK, he did beat the crap out of that girl, but they're gonna see that on TV and internet anyway.
But Woodland Critter Christmas... Best not to let your kid see that one.

(ugly)Bob wrote:yes. but only when they know its wrong to rip on people and shove gerbils up their arses.

:lol:
CartmansWhore

Postby CartmansWhore » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:34 pm

Cool. Thanks for the replies, peeps! :D
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:11 pm

I wonder what eps Trey won't let his 11-year-old stepson (now adopted?) watch.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:13 pm

I think kids will discover the show on their own at some point anyway, probably before they've had the life experience to see past the vulgar content to the though-provoking elements of an episode. So I wouldn't go out of my way to show it to them, regardless of age. Let them find out for themselves. And if that comes too early in your opinion, feel free to order them not to watch. But if the kid is worth their salt, they'll keep watching behind your back. Now that there are those sanitized for syndication episodes on everywhere, that will also help ease the youngsters into the eventual depravity.

One of my uncles is a big South Park fan and he has two boys that are now out of high school. His policy regarding his kids was an outright prohibition until they were in high school. Then he let 'em watch some of the tamer episodes and kind of eased them into the South Park universe. So by the time they were graduating, my cousins were watching new episodes with their dad and are fans of the show.

You read it! You can't unread it!

Return to “General South Park Discussion”