Would you let YOUR children watch South Park?

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

Lyon82

Re: Would you let YOUR children watch South Park?

Postby Lyon82 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:30 pm

Big-Will wrote:I wonder what eps Trey won't let his 11-year-old stepson (now adopted?) watch.

Or more specifically which ones HE thinks he is okay versus which ones the MOTHER approves. I'll say as a woman that there is usually a gap in perception of appropriateness. We get together and often shake our heads at what some of our husbands think is age appropriate.
(ugly)Bob

Postby (ugly)Bob » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:01 am

i really think, i want to be more precise with my answer, that a kid should be allowed to watch it if they, as i said but subtly, if they know wrong from right and dont adopt negative antics of characters on the show. what i mean is that, going back to right from wrong, is they know not to (as Cartman would) assume Muslims as terrorists and so on.. my introduction towards the show was simply me watching an episode, wondering what they were on about and simply channel surfing. later, i realized, and adopted this concept for this show, its morals, even though there is some vulgarity and off colour humour going on.. the morals. are really (surprising for a show that rips on everything/one) good and should be taken into account. making the age minimum a tad lower than most vulgar shows in my opinion. Eventually kids will swear. and that is a fact, its the content of the show that deters most watchers. but if you can understand the messages in it. you DO tend to adopt rather a few life lessons, and most of them are very good ones.

but that is my opinion at the age where i don't have kids and still a teen :roll: so my ideas could change
Last edited by (ugly)Bob on Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We're all just a bunch of multi-coloured humans!"
Unassumption

Postby Unassumption » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:16 am

I don't have kids but i'd love my nieces and nephews to watch. I saw the news as a kid which is far worse! I think exposing people to the world at an early age is great, though sadly they have to learn idiots care about "taboos" at some stage, while we still live in this society :(
AND BY THE WAY, I WIN
Lyon82

Postby Lyon82 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:29 am

I agree with you, Bob on the morals being often fairly good (although sometimes the bad morals are trumped up and placed in a favorable light to point out hypocrisy). Hell, when I have kids, they are likely to learn their four letter words before they can get into crude humor as I am prone to F-bombs. I'd take more issue with some of the other content because kids aren't likely to get some of the underlying messages behind some of it. And other things, like sex, are ones that kids will find out when they are curious enough to look for it and ask. When they are ready they will figure those things out. there is a difference between sheltering kids and letting things be discovered as they are ready.

For instance, "Butterballs" actually did a pretty good take on the bullying issue and Butter's speech on it toward the end is actually one of the best approaches in popular media. Kids need to hear, rather than focusing on the cruelty of it all, that it doesn't last forever and it does get better. Don't know if I'd want to explain the Jackin' it in San Diego segment, but that episode in particular had a good and honest message while the topic gets treated with a lot of schlocky nonsense.

The appropriateness of any show is something parents need to consider based on their child and the parents being willing to actually be involved enough to address the differences in fiction vs. reality and discuss controversial issues in a manner they understand. Ratings don't mean a damn thing if the only explanation for something being off limits involves it being 'bad'. If a parent knows their kids, they will know what kinds of things are within their limits.

That said, Woodland Critter Christmas and the episode with the shark raping a mentally challenged kid would probably be episodes I'd want my kids to be a good bit older to see and would scold my husband for watching in their proximity.
(ugly)Bob

Postby (ugly)Bob » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:57 am

yes Lyon, there are episodes that have terrible morals and most definitely horrific scenes that completely destroy any possibility of the episode actually meaning anything. What i mean is that i would let kids watch if they knew right and wrong but i would encourage them to understand (IF ANY) the underlying morals in the show. I (without trying but maybe its just how i am) always keep picking up on the messages.
I have found that no matter how hard parents try to hide and shelter their children from the world. They will seek, find and make a judgement on the situation. They will ask questions, they will discover and they most definitely have their opinion.
I think that parents shelter their children from the show due to fear of adopting the vulgarities and asking questions about scenes involving a shark that has somehow managed to learn how to rape. The parents don't want to discuss that type of thing.
parents have very different ideas on how vulgar shows are and if a child should watch it. kids should be allowed to watch SP if they know not to take a dump on teacher's desk or not to rip on religion adherents and so on.
Why shelter when we know they will, one day, do the F-bomb. Without watching SP. what i mean is. no matter how hard we-- (i said this earlier didn't i, so ill skip ahead) They will do wrong. its the parents that need to say "Hey, thats wrong" rather than hide them from the wrong. Teach wrong from right and sheltering will be much more of a sleep in the park (not a walk, an easy sleep)

Or maybe its more humane to just say "no" when they plead with you to watch it as NeuroHeart discusses

NeuroHeart wrote: A young child might have trouble understanding the mature humor.
A young child might not fully understand that certain language isn't always appropriate, and get in trouble at school or at a friend's house.
Some young children (like a cousin of mine) are traumatized by mild conflict or violence, even in Disney movies designed for them; South Park would give such children nightmares.

You really gotta know your kid in order to debate if they should watch or not.
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:21 am

I don't have kids..But, maybe I would let them watch..It would depend on how mature they were..But, if they were teens, I would definately let them watch, some parents still monitor what their teens watch..I have friends whose parents were psycho about that when we were growing up..And, the parents being that strict, made my friends want to do a lot more than watch South Park and R rated movies when it came to rebelling against their parents. There are way worse things teens can be doing besides watching South Park and R rated movies.
(ugly)Bob

Postby (ugly)Bob » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:19 am

My folks actually wanted me to keep watching because i was mysteriously learning about the world (Jeffresons= MJ dangles blanket above balcony) ect
zzyzx 1

Postby zzyzx 1 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:04 am

I was going to quote some previous posters, but it's not necessary for this post. My opinion: it's a cartoon, people. Kids of any age should watch!

I can hear you now: "But what about young kids? Why not wait until they are a little bit older?"

My answer is the same: It's a cartoon. The younger kids won't understand the dialogue/situations anyway. All they'll see are cartoon characters and professionally drawn scenery. As they grow older they'll start to understand. At least the show and the characters will be familiar to them.

I say YES, kids of any age should watch. Now I know the show is rated TV-M; so what? It's a cartoon! By the time the kids watching understand what's really going on in the show they would be mature enough to watch TV-M anyway. So YES, they should watch the show at any age imo.
CartmansWhore

Postby CartmansWhore » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:32 pm

Lyon82 wrote:Absolutely not for young kids. As far as actual age of appropriateness goes, there's quite a bit of variance in terms of the content. Some of the episodes, particularly the early ones are rated almost entirely on language. Kids pick up on that in school and given my tendency to use four letter words in my regular speech, it's the part I would be least concerned about because they are going to have to learn not to use it in improper situations regardless of sheltering them.

However, you get to the episodes that are either incredibly dementedly violent or involve a lot of sexual functions that just isn't really what kids need to know at a young age. I don't want to have to explain urban dictionary terms for crude sex jokes to a pre-teen. They can look that up when their curiosity and hormones drive them toward legitimately caring.

And then there is the reality that I doubt a young child of this era would really get the point of many of the episodes. The themes behind the poop and fart humor is often far more complex than anything a child will comprehend. And then there is the abundance of pop culture references that will fly over the heads of anybody who cannot remember the era in which the episode is made. Would a kid really get why their portrayal of Barbra Streisand is hilarious much less who she or Robert Smith is? Rosie O'Donell? Jokes about old 90s internet memes getting paid in the fictional internet economy? I'd have to keep explaining the jokes they would have no hope of getting and if you have to explain the joke, it's ruined.

It's like someone watching the original Muppets show. It's awesome, but even with me in my early 30s, a good number of the guests are well before my time. My hubby in his late 30s fares a bit better because he can remember the 70s to some degree. If I try to watch that show with someone several years younger than me though, the writing seems entirely dated and while certain humorous aspects hold up well, the culture references is entirely foreign to them.

Yeah, like it or not, one day South Park is going to be old fashioned humor that old folks watch as they grouse about the talentless hacks currently writing for shows.

I see what you mean about not wanting to explain things but isn't that also considered lazy parenting? Just saying?!
“The basis of all reasoning is the mind's awareness of itself. What we think, the external objects we perceive, are all like actors that come on and off stage. But our consciousness, the stage itself, is always present to us,” Trey Parker
maytess12

Postby maytess12 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:38 pm

It's somewhere between unsure and a hundred. Because SP is an adult thing, so...probably not because I know there gonna be immature. Trust me.
Lyon82

Postby Lyon82 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:26 am

CartmansWhore wrote:I see what you mean about not wanting to explain things but isn't that also considered lazy parenting? Just saying?!

Or you taking one part entirely out of context. Kids find stuff and sheltering them is no good, but there is such a thing as not deliberately exposing them to things that they are too young to comprehend and try to explain. They will find things in their own time and then they are much more likely in a position to have a talk about sexual functions or why they can't say certain things in class etc. It's not lazy parenting to say most parents rather not expose their kids to certain content that can't really be explained to a kid in a certain age group. it's not that kids are stupid, but their brains process things differently.

The truth is that children are sociopaths and don't really get morality. Right and wrong is something that develops with time as does empathy. Older kids start to learn more complex thing such as why something is okay on a show even if it is a really bad idea in real life. Each kid varies and levels of content matter a lot and parents need to know what their kid can handle and deal with that. There's still various ages at which such talks can make sense.

Or else you have little else to day than 'It's bad' with no context and that is not a particularly effective approach. If you grew up in the 80s or early 90s, you likely remember just how ridiculous and ineffective those awareness commercials were.

The fact is that when I have kids, I wouldn't have them watch a show like South Park until they are good and ready to deal with the content. The specific age is not easy to call and will be based on the ability to have those kinds of talks about the topic. I can explain something to them, but if they are too young to actually understand it, then they probably shouldn't be watching that particular media. Letting kids watch whatever and assuming there will be no problems is just as lazy as sheltering them from everything because parents rather not speak to them about anything controversial. Parenting is a lot of balance.
CartmansWhore

Postby CartmansWhore » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:06 pm

Lyon82 wrote:
CartmansWhore wrote:
Or else you have little else to day than 'It's bad' with no context and that is not a particularly effective approach. If you grew up in the 80s or early 90s, you likely remember just how ridiculous and ineffective those awareness commercials were.

Oh, but they're most interesting to watch. :lol:
“The basis of all reasoning is the mind's awareness of itself. What we think, the external objects we perceive, are all like actors that come on and off stage. But our consciousness, the stage itself, is always present to us,” Trey Parker
(ugly)Bob

Postby (ugly)Bob » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:23 am

i feel like we are agreeing with each other through longish speeches.
Unassumption

Postby Unassumption » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:02 pm

it's a cartoon, people. Kids of any age should watch

I have to object to this, it's based on a steryotype that animation can only be for kids which has kept the medium from getting the respect it deserves, stopped animators from getting funding to make cartoons targeted at adults, and created the contraversy over serious issues being portrayed in cartoons because even if they're R rated people think it's for kids. The same problem effects video games. The medium doesn't alter the content.

it's not that kids are stupid, but their brains process things differently.

We make kids ignorant by hiding information from them. This depends on the kid in question, but I'm sure most could handle a lot more than parents give them credit for. The idea someone is suddenly ready to learn something because they've hit a certain age, and/or isn't ready because they're below an age, is silly.

How ready someone is to learn something, can be changed to an extent by how we treat them. IMO no fact should ever be off limits to learn, keep telling them about it and some parts will stick in their heads eventually the whole thing will seep through. The quicker they learn things the quicker they mature? I know biology dictates how quick they learn morality and stuff, but I'm uncertain what bad acts south park of all shows could teach them.

I don't think most of the taboo things they could copy from South Park are that bad, so wouldn't mind if a kid copied them; good thing I'm not a parent! All they could do is learn to swear, and I have no qualms about kids swearing it's no worse than them using the childhood expletives parents let them say. The really bad things from the show aren't possible to copy. This show has far less bad things a kid could copy than say, tom and jerry. It also has a lot of good messages, i'd like kids to learn. They might not get sarcasm, which would make them get the wrong message.

If we expose kids to complex things, they'll get as much of it as they can. If they WANT to watch the show, they must be understanding some of it! If they don't get it, they'll be bored and not want to watch. They might not understand the whole story but they'll get part of it.

I watched old comedies as a kid, and learned about the pop culture of older times by watching them. Not the best thing to learn, and it probably hurt the jokes that I didn't know who these people were, but it taught me about famous people.

you get to the episodes that are either incredibly dementedly violent

Compared to other shows, including kids shows, I've never thought of south park as very violent. Woodland critter christmas wasn't any worse than loony tunes.

I always HATED when adults told me "you'll understand when you're older" to me as a kid, instead of just telling me the almost always simple facts that would have made me understand then and there.

There are way worse things teens can be doing besides watching South Park and R rated movies

The fear is that watching the movies will lead to them doing worse things, but I doubt most kids would actually copy what they see on TV. They're not going to cause any trouble while they're indoors that's for sure.
AND BY THE WAY, I WIN
Lyon82

Postby Lyon82 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:43 pm

Unassumption wrote:We make kids ignorant by hiding information from them. This depends on the kid in question, but I'm sure most could handle a lot more than parents give them credit for. The idea someone is suddenly ready to learn something because they've hit a certain age, and/or isn't ready because they're below an age, is silly.

How ready someone is to learn something, can be changed to an extent by how we treat them. IMO no fact should ever be off limits to learn, keep telling them about it and some parts will stick in their heads eventually the whole thing will seep through. The quicker they learn things the quicker they mature? I know biology dictates how quick they learn morality and stuff, but I'm uncertain what bad acts south park of all shows could teach them.

I don't think most of the taboo things they could copy from South Park are that bad, so wouldn't mind if a kid copied them; good thing I'm not a parent! All they could do is learn to swear, and I have no qualms about kids swearing it's no worse than them using the childhood expletives parents let them say. The really bad things from the show aren't possible to copy. This show has far less bad things a kid could copy than say, tom and jerry. It also has a lot of good messages, i'd like kids to learn. They might not get sarcasm, which would make them get the wrong message.

If we expose kids to complex things, they'll get as much of it as they can. If they WANT to watch the show, they must be understanding some of it! If they don't get it, they'll be bored and not want to watch. They might not understand the whole story but they'll get part of it.

There is a difference between actively hiding and sheltering compared to exposing them.

And yes, there are things that kids are too young to process. There is a cumulative aspect to learning that contributes to kids being able to understand more complex things.

Case in point: Horror films. I was able to handle them at a much younger age than my younger siblings. They were unable to understand it and were freaked out by some of them. My parents were pretty lousy at tracking us, so they were often exposed to things they were not ready for.

Not fact needs to be off limits indefinitely, but how it is treated does differ and as a parent you need to be able to know what is appropriate for your kid at any given age. you seem to propose expose them to it all and let them make sense of it which is a terrible approach.

Basically it needs to come down to parents knowing what their kids are capable of handling and setting boundaries that are appropriate for that child. It's not thinking they are ignorant or incapable to deal with those limitations. If you know your kid, you know what they can handle and that's what it comes down to.

Return to “General South Park Discussion”