Would you let YOUR children watch South Park?

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

AngusMcTavish

Re: Would you let YOUR children watch South Park?

Postby AngusMcTavish » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:43 am

CrocoDuck wrote:Children really aren't mentally prepared for those types of shows.
That's why there's ratings.

CrocoDuck has a good point. There are just some things that go on in SP that little kids are not at all ready to see yet.

Give them a few years in school so that they understand certain aspects of life, and then, if you really believe they are ready for it, THEN let them watch one of the "tamer" episodes for a start. You can always talk it over with the child later, just so he understands why some things are the way they are there.

Of course, it would be head-spinning to the kid if you went with one where Kenny dies, just to see him back again.

To say the least, the syndicated versions still exist, the TV-14 versions that get shown before prime time.
RichardV1150

Postby RichardV1150 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:43 pm

Yes, most certainly, my kids have to learn sometime, and the sooner the better. I believe letting your kids watch what they want is important, as long as the parent puts things into context. My mom always used to say, "You know it's only a game, or show", "You can't do those things in real life". She knew that as long as we knew right from wrong, playing violent rated M games was fine, even as a small kid of 4. I remember some of the best times I had with my brothers was when we played GTA on the PSOne.

Every parenting style is different, that one worked for us, we turned out pretty good I must say, no lunatics in our family... yet. I think South Park is a very educational show, you can learn a lot from it, I did even as a young kid. I believe when you "shelter your kids from the bad things" and then end up finding out about them later in life, their MORE likely to take away bad habits from them. Like a kid and a drug habit, they're more likely to kick the habit then a middle-aged person who starts up drugs, the middle-aged people are more likely to go to harder drugs and never kick the habit.
South Park is amazing and anyone who doesn't think so should learn how to Respect My Authoritah! LOL South Park Rulez!
cookiegirf

Postby cookiegirf » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:13 am

I don't have kids, but if I did, I definitely would let them watch it! They're going to be exposed to this kind of stuff anyway, so why not? I wouldn't say, "Hey, watch this TV show," but if they wandered in while I was watching it, I wouldn't turn it off or make them leave. Same thing if they ask to watch it. I wouldn't say no if they wanted to watch it.
kishawn

Postby kishawn » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:29 am

I feel like it's better for kids to learn some of the curse words and witness some of the name calling featured on the show in a safe environment with an adult to right away explain the meaning. If I ever have kids, I'd probably start watching it with them at about age 9 if they wanted to. I'd rather them learn some of the more colorful areas of the English language with me able to control it as opposed to learning it from a playground bully.
Lucyismybf

Postby Lucyismybf » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:09 am

It all depends on the child, and how they handle certain situations. Some episodes I don't watch just because I don't like the situtaions. I do remember changing the channels when my dad came in though. I started watching it when I was 9 I think. My dad prohibited me from watching it because he was upset when they made fun of Mary from the Bible. My dad still doesn't like me watching it now even though I will be 18 this year. Haha
queso6p4

Postby queso6p4 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:21 pm

While I don't have any children I can only guess that I wouldn't until they were teenagers, for obvious reasons. Granted, a lot of my friends in middle school were big into SP.
ChocoEClaire

Postby ChocoEClaire » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:48 am

zzyzx 1 wrote:I was going to quote some previous posters, but it's not necessary for this post. My opinion: it's a cartoon, people. Kids of any age should watch!

I can hear you now: "But what about young kids? Why not wait until they are a little bit older?"

My answer is the same: It's a cartoon. The younger kids won't understand the dialogue/situations anyway. All they'll see are cartoon characters and professionally drawn scenery. As they grow older they'll start to understand. At least the show and the characters will be familiar to them.

I say YES, kids of any age should watch. Now I know the show is rated TV-M; so what? It's a cartoon! By the time the kids watching understand what's really going on in the show they would be mature enough to watch TV-M anyway. So YES, they should watch the show at any age imo.

I can think of all kinds of animation that could scar a young child...
._____.
|_____|
() o_o ()
...|__|----> this is Kyle

98% of teens have one of these 98% statistics in their signatures, copy and paste if you're in the 2% that doesn't...hey, wait a minute...
ChocoEClaire

Postby ChocoEClaire » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:52 am

I don't have kids, but when my future kids turn 13 it's ok with me. I personally think they'd find it dated, as I do with some of the older episodes.
._____.
|_____|
() o_o ()
...|__|----> this is Kyle

98% of teens have one of these 98% statistics in their signatures, copy and paste if you're in the 2% that doesn't...hey, wait a minute...
StanMarshLover

Postby StanMarshLover » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:54 pm

Even though I don't have kids, I probably would let them watch SP. Depends on the age though. I started watching when I was 8 but I couldn't stop laughing and it was hard to go to sleep. :D I think either 9 or 10 is when I would let them watch South Park. Depends on the kid too. If it's one of those kids that will repeat everything then I would wait until they are older.
Wearin' my Stan Marsh hat every time I'm on here! *(|:)
PierreTrudeau

Postby PierreTrudeau » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:30 pm

No. I'll MAKE THEM watch-it!!!!! FOR THEIR SAFETY-GUISE!!!!1 ;D
themiu

Postby themiu » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:31 am

i dunno.. depends on how old the kid is. i have to be careful when watching stuff like the gorillaz or junk like that around my seven year old brother. he repeats everything. i did end up showing the ep when they become super hero's.
St. Frantic

Postby St. Frantic » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:35 pm

I remember watching it back when I was eight or nine, now I'm twenty three. A lot of the humor I didn't even understand until I got older. I'd say 13-15 is an appropriate age.
Yassir Sanchez

Postby Yassir Sanchez » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:20 pm

We have four kids aged from 22- 14

All have watched South Park with me starting when they were about ten.

It beats the hell out of the rest of the trash on tv. Even the "clean" stuff.

Genius is genius even if there is an occansional vulgarity. And BTW we are Southern Evangelical Christians.
"I've now been in 57 states? I think one left to go?"

-Barack Hussein Obama
SuperJew93

Postby SuperJew93 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:01 pm

I'd let them watch it when they're at least 9 or 10, only because that was the age I started hearing kids my own age talk like that, and that's around the age the kids are or were when the show started. Plus it's not like there aren't some life lessons the show teaches, and it's far more varied in this show then in any kids show.
eduardt

Postby eduardt » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:33 pm

Yes ofcourse :)

Return to “General South Park Discussion”