Commercials made me pirate

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

nvvmeac

Commercials made me pirate

Postby nvvmeac » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:12 am

I have been a SP fan from the beginning (no sh*t: I VHS'ed the originals secretly when I was 8). When the main site began offering episode free-to-watch episodes I halted my pirating in celebration. However, recently I have been forced to watch more and more aimless commercials (sometimes up to 4 minutes per break), rating the the experience worse than DVRing. As a result I've begun pirating again.

As far as torrent sites go I recommend: Pirate Bay, Fenopy, and ISO Hunt are among my favorites (however there are many excellent servers). Bittorrent and Utorrent remain my reliable clients. However, I'm sure there are many more dependable clients as well.

I ultimately hope South Park Studios reevaluates their advertising obligations in regard to their loyal and ever growing fan base. As proprietors of some-what open media I hope they'd remember there exist a balance of revenue and exposure that for which their great success is owed today.

A fan from the beginning to the end...
Daniel P. Harris

P.S. f*ck Sean Penn... seriously
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Re: Commercials made me pirate

Postby Big-Will » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:36 pm

I'll let this on simply because I'm a pirate too. :) But commercials are here to stay. If you don't want to see them, get an ad blocker for your browser.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
Unassumption

Postby Unassumption » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:20 pm

I prefer commercials to directly paying for things.
All they made me do was get ad block.
Christian Hard Rock's point was as true for TV as music, so I wouldn't be ashamed to wear an eyepatch.
AND BY THE WAY, I WIN
Zazaban

Postby Zazaban » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:25 pm

I generally don't pay for music or movies anymore. Will if I want the physical object for collectors purposes, but otherwise, I just don't really have the spending money to begin with.
skurtz wrote:
nwt000 wrote:Get your trolling ass out of here!

I'm more friendlier drinking some espresso.
Dr Sleep

Postby Dr Sleep » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:25 pm

I've done some file sharing here and there.
kfgg

Postby kfgg » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:06 am

I only use file sharing when I seriously have to, such as when it can't be found anywhere else.

I hate hate hate hate hate internet ads. The audio is loud, the quality is now, sometimes the ads load and the content that you sit and watch the ad waiting for doesn't, which makes me feel like I was ripped off. I watched the ad, but didn't get the content.

This is why in most cases I still use old fashioned TV, VCR, DVR and DVD Recorder (when I can) so I can fast forward thru the commercials. They don't get me to buy anything anyway.

I was watching a tape from 10 years ago and I still remember the commercials. Commercials today are far from memorable.

In regards to South Park, I always buy the DVD when it comes out. Sometimes I buy an episode in iTunes if I want it in HD. The only problem with DVDs is that since Season 15, they decided not to use Closed Captions, instead using English subtitles. I HATE when DVDs do that. I don't need closed captions, but I like to use them from time to time.

If you want a variety of content without commercials, may I suggest Netflix? I know they don't do DVDs anymore and they pissed people off, but they have decent content on there for a $7.99 monthly fee. You can watch both TV shows and movies on there. I don't do so, as I really don't watch much TV, but it's an option for those who do and hate ads.
Stan and Kyle :)
zzyzx 1

Postby zzyzx 1 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:39 am

nvvmeac wrote:As far as torrent sites go I recommend: Pirate Bay, Fenopy, and ISO Hunt are among my favorites (however there are many excellent servers). Bittorrent and Utorrent remain my reliable clients. However, I'm sure there are many more dependable clients as well.

Yes, there are; an excellent site is http://www.demonoid.me/ and their beta site: http://beta.demonoid.me/

As for clients, (I use Mac), there is µTorrent and Transmission.

Magnet links are very fast.

kfgg wrote:I only use file sharing when I seriously have to, such as when it can't be found anywhere else.

That's why I started with this in the first place :)
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:10 pm

Yarrrghh!

I often download stuff so I can rip audio out of episodes.

But I also do it because I can. I've said this many times on here over the years, but I'm either going to download a movie for free or I'm not going to see it. Movies are expensive to go to. Especially now that my neighborhood theater sells beer. ;)

You read it! You can't unread it!
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:35 am

And, this is why we have so many sh*tty mainstream movies and remakes in the last few years. Movie companies are afraid to take risks, and afraid to loose money, because so many people just down load everything..So they just keep making the same sh*t dumbasses will pay to see. Now, that is fine, except, this crap affects the people who make the movies..Not the rich assh*les in charge of the studios, but the directors, writers and actors. Especially in the horror genre. Anyone who has paid attention to my posts on here knows I am a horror fan..And, I pay attention to articles on horror sites enough to know that a lot of films get delayed or have a hard time getting released, because some assh*le studio heads are afraid they won't make enough money. And, that affects the people who actually make the movies..I don't give a rat's ass about the people in charge of the studios, but I do go to horror conventions, and have met some actors, and they were nice people. I like the movies they have been in, I want to see them in more movies, so I am going to support them by actually buying a dvd or a movie ticket.
zzyzx 1

Postby zzyzx 1 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:02 pm

zzyzx 1 wrote:
kfgg wrote:
M00ndragon69 wrote:I like the movies they have been in, I want to see them in more movies, so I am going to support them by actually buying a dvd or a movie ticket.
I only use file sharing when I seriously have to, such as when it can't be found anywhere else.
That's why I started with this in the first place :)

Some of us do buy the dvd or the movie ticket if available; but older stuff, no longer available from any source, that's when we download it. Personally I would buy it if available. But when it isn't . . . . .
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:24 pm

I think cowardly movie studios churning out the same type of shit was a problem long before the internet was fast enough to share whole movies. They're in the business of making money, not taking huge risks with actual good ideas.

That industry has zero respect for it's audiences. They think we're all too stupid to follow a storyline we haven't seen a million times before or keep track of more than three simultaneous plots. That does make the occasional movie that doesn't conform to those marketability standards much more interesting, though.

Fortunately, technology has allowed a lot of good movies to be made without the big money of the giant corporate studios. So while fighting robots are bashing each other in the face, we have these other flicks that come out of nowhere with intelligent stories, great acting and genuinely interesting characters.

You read it! You can't unread it!
maytess12

Postby maytess12 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:08 pm

Personally I would buy it if available. But when it isn't . . . . .

That's what my friend Miranda said when she downloaded [i]Song of the South[/i)

Return to “General South Park Discussion”