Hulu??? Really?

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

UhhIDontKnow

Re: Hulu??? Really?

Postby UhhIDontKnow » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:41 pm

Big-Will wrote:
emeraldangel523 wrote:they could force us to use other, virus-filled sites, to watch episodes (they are much more annoying than Hulu, and half the time they also crash on you).

No one would force you to use those site except your own desire to get the episodes. In the past, Matt and Trey encouraged fans to get the episodes any way they could. Soon after, this site appeared, but it was a few years before it began streaming the episodes, so fans didn't need to go to those sites anymore.

This site was created in order to keep fans interested in the show, but to stay afloat, it's gotta pay the people who run it, like nall and the other admins (moderators, like me, are not paid for moderating this message board). And for that pay to happen, it's gotta serve up ads (and the site gets some money back from the sponsors). So, it's us fans who keep this site up, not Matt and Trey. All they have to provide is the show.

Will, Viacom does not need this site to produce one single dollar. If it makes the TV show more valuable, it's done its job. Viacom doesn't need to rely on streaming for revenue. One bit. South Park is a gold mine. At this point, trying to make more money is like trying for a golden toilet seat.

Explain why the Simpsons just did the polar opposite of what South Park did. My explanation? They want long term, happy fans. South Park is looking to make a money grab.

I urge fans to check out the southpark subreddit (just /r/southpark). No one is deleting theads there and no one is trying to tow a company line.

I'm out of here until Hulu is gone.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:55 am

UhhIDontKnow wrote:Explain why the Simpsons just did the polar opposite of what South Park did. My explanation? They want long term, happy fans. South Park is looking to make a money grab.

No idea, except that South Park did this seven years ago. Maybe in seven years The Simpsons will reverse itself and do what South Park did this summer.

UhhIDontKnow wrote:I'm out of here until Hulu is gone.

See you in 2017 then, if Matt and Trey go for more seasons. Pretty sure Hulu will stick around too. In which case, happy trails to you.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
zzyzx 2

Postby zzyzx 2 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:06 am

At least I can still access this site from my iPhone, without being redirected to the mobile version.

Before Hulu, I used:

http://forums.southparkstudios.com/forum/

Now I simply use:

http://forums.southpark.cc.com/forum/

And guess what? It works! Well, for the most part. The "View active topics" link, and similar links, don't show me the entire page. But everything else works ;)
CrossbonesGT

Postby CrossbonesGT » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:56 pm

I agree. when i first came here i thought it would be great but now i have to watch it somewhere else. it dosnt even play my videos!
dr loomis

Postby dr loomis » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:41 am

yes really but it doesn't matter one bit. there are a ton of great streaming sites that blow this shithole out of the water. most have every episode uncensored listed by season and are really easy to navigate with out being bombarded with 15 min of garbage commercials every episode these sites are easy to find and will make you happy again.
krslkns

Hulu

Postby krslkns » Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:11 am

I can't believe the pioneers of decent television have sold out to make money from Hulu. Not everyone on this website has a Hulu+ subscription, I thought advertisements were plenty enough to sit through. But now to pay to do the same things, now with more advertisements that can NOT be blocked with any form of software? I should have never stopped torrenting my favorite shows. Because South Park was my only exception for a show that was tolerable enough to let me escape the reality that South Park has just become a part of. I hope the money is worth losing tons of dedicated fans and viewers.
zzyzx 2

Re: Hulu

Postby zzyzx 2 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:32 pm

I don't think "the money is worth losing tons of dedicated fans and viewers." I think ppl will still watch the shows on this site, as there is a five-week window to watch them after they air. Before, there was a one-week window, then the show was gone for four weeks, then it was back forever. Now, it won't be back forever unless it's one of the 30 random episodes that are always available.

Ppl will still buy Blu-Ray/Regular DVDs of the show, and then they'll have them forever, or download them from iTunes or as you suggest, from torrents. The show is still on Comedy Central, and is also out there on various channels through syndication. Yes, Hulu+ is a pain, having to pay for it and all, but for every fan they may loose, other fans will join Hulu+ so it's a net gain for M&T.
epiphanes777

Postby epiphanes777 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:52 am

Replacing the old site with this pile of junk is a travesty. HULU is totally unwatchable.
Are you kidding, a 30-second ad before the theme song, and TWO longer ads after it before the episode even starts??
And then breaks have ads of a length unheard of in online streaming, its as if you're watching television.
And you think this is going to coerce us to subscribe?
Its easy to watch any south park episode for free, we don't need HULU anyways. It's a waste of time.
agent-FSS

Postby agent-FSS » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:20 am

Again Hulu? Not to say that all unhappy with the changes. Usually dissatisfied users complain more actively, express their opinion, but I don't see while here the crowds of angry fans, so most satisfied with of the service. By the way, I am commercials do not see, truth and to pay I not going.
Stanluv25

Postby Stanluv25 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:18 pm

It doesn't matter to me if new episodes are on longer on the site than one week. I was used to one week and it leaving before coming back forever. It was fine since I knew it was coming back and there were 100s of other episodes to watch. I still refuse to pay for Hulu and not everyone has the money to buy the DVDs. (Not even going to say blu ray as I don't have a blu ray player). There is nothing convenient or good about going to Hulu.
I love: Stan, Butters, Cartman, Sharon.

I ship: Stan/Cartman <3

Stan: MMOOMM!!
Sharon: What is it honey? (gasp!) My baby's killed again!
Haa, I love that line.
zzyzx 2

Postby zzyzx 2 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:30 pm

Not liking this HULU site so far. 1801, 1802, and 1803 has already aired. Watched 1801 once. Thanks to Big-Will and the spscriportium so that I could read the "transcript" that Big-Will created. Otherwise, 1801 makes no sense as the episode here on the HULU site keeps starting and stoping. It was too choppy to understand the episode. It had no consistency to the episode. The spscriptorium transcript makes a lot sense, as always. Thanks again for creating those, Big-Will.

Not using torrents because I should be able to watch the episodes here on this HULU site but I can't watch the episode here yet. Something's wrong.

1802 - same problem as with 1801 and I can't watch it. 1803 - not watchable yet!

For now, I'll use the spscriptorium and hopefully that's enough. Disappointed with the HULU site so far. During the break I'll figure out what to do. For now, very disappointed with the HULU site.

My stats:

Apple/Macintosh OS X Version 10.10 Yosemite Public Beta Version 5.0

Volume works (albeit low volume, but video is terrible on this site. Other sites work just fine, audio and visual, but just not on this site).

My schedule is such that I am unavailable on Wednesdays at 10:00 PDT, so I can't watch the show live. I have no DVR. So I need this HULU site to watch the episodes. But it doesn't work.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:58 pm

I've gotten over Hulu. Truth be told, I sometimes copy the subs here verbatim despite the commercials. But on Wednesdays I torrent the episode because it's on my computer up to two hours before it shows up here. Why wait for an episode with commercials on it when you can get it commercial-free a couple of hours earlier?
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
jumbofish

Postby jumbofish » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:46 pm

Hulu+ is not worth it and Hulu is a joke. A lot of people will refuse to pay the money and just stop going to your website to watch the episodes. (ads wont be very effective if there aren't as many viewers)

For instance I, myself, will now just torrent the entire season. When a new episode comes out might as well torrent the small file to add to my large collection... Yay no ads! Still my laziness is upset by this and I am quite disgruntled about this Hulu+ bullsh*t.
fix2

Postby fix2 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:32 pm

Hulu is unwatchable. Any site that requires me to disable adblock and sit through forced commercials is a site I will not use. Money isn't the only reason I don't pay for cable television; the ridiculous amount of commercials mid-episode is unforgivable. What makes Hulu think people will tolerate this on the internet? Hulu mostly exists because of the sharply-increasing number of people who are cancelling their cable subscriptions. Fortunately for us, there are several ways of watching the show other than Hulu and cable television. This partnership was a poor idea for the average consumer.
NGC6144

Postby NGC6144 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:11 pm

The thought did occur to me when Hulu took over hosting the website that SP may become more or less pay per view. I just confirmed this for myself; I can't watch older episodes because I don't have Hulu Plus. I'm not going to get it. Why buy SP season box sets if it was online for free? I suppose there will be an uptick in those sales but this is vary disappointing. Wasn't the revenue from previous advertising scheme sufficent? No, in this day and age we must pay an additional service fee to suffer through commercials. Crap like this in addition to the poor performances of recent seasons is making me lose interest in South Park. So what's next down the line, new episodes can only be viewed on Hulu Plus? It will be interesting to see if this tips the balance between viewership and advertising revenue against the show.

Return to “General South Park Discussion”