Hulu??? Really?

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

kfgg

Re: Hulu

Postby kfgg » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:25 am

From what I remember, full episodes were added here to combat piracy. They were not originally here.

Viacom was in a war with Youtube. People were posting their content on Youtube, they would not have any of that.

So they added all of the episodes to this website. Same with The Daily Show and Colbert. In this case, they could take control of their content and make money selling some ads with it.

Now, they obviously figured out people are going to use torrents anyway. Hulu offered them a big chunk of cash. Probably more than they were making with the original revenue and they took the cash.

I'm no fan of Hulu. I understand an am used to watching commercials on TV. They pay the bills. In the case of Hulu, they make it irritating to watch shows online with their buggy players, and Hulu+ Only episodes (Which also have ads)

Other losses from Hulu is earlier seasons are not in HD like they were here. But really the player just sucks. The ad scheme is obnoxious.

I encourage people to watch on TV if you can. That is what pays the bills. If you can't afford cable, buy the episode on iTunes or Amazon. Support the show. They have to pay the bills to keep it coming. Torrenting should always be a third option except maybe for older episodes that already made a lot of money.
Stan and Kyle :)
Milo Vonnegut 3

Postby Milo Vonnegut 3 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:08 am

Still knawing away at this bone, are we?
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:14 am

Meanwhile, Matt and Trey don't care how you get your eps. They've maintained since before the show was put on this site that piracy hasn't hurt them any. They've had nothing but success with the show.

That being said, any changes that have come to the site are approved by Matt, since he handles the business side of things for Trey.

Trey and Matt liked that the show was getting around in torrents, but they also knew they could get the show to us in the best quality possible, so we wouldn't have to look to other site that gave us camrips of the episodes - this site gave us the episodes direct from the Studios. The ads were put in to pay for the site, not for the show, and so we got six years of an ad-supported site that gave us pristine episodes.

But the player was buggy, according to Matt and nall, and Matt and Trey liked Hulu's player and business model, so they opted for that. And so, the site is no longer ad-supported (the only ads I now see are in the episodes), and thus is part of the show's budget. And even though the quality of the episodes (audo and video) grabbed from TV is really good now, the ones from the Studios can't be matched. What did happen in the past five years or so is that people began hacking into MTV's servers and downloaded the episodes directly. The most spectacular instance of that happened earlier this year when the uncensored version of "201" showed up in torrents. Even the speeches at the end of the episode were unbleeped. (might still be up on TPB) That and the buggy player is what prompted Viacom to look for a streaming services that blocked direct downloading and that was more stable than the Studios' own player. And so, Hulu.

The show used to be on Netflix, but there were irreconcilable differences between Viacom and Netflix, and so Netflix took the show down 18 months ago.

And now I hear from a lot of people that the Hulu player simply doesn't work for them, a lot more than I heard about the older player. Many viewers have stopped coming here for that reason. And for those for whom the player works, it's just as buggy as the old one. And when it works properly, you either get ads or you get up to two minutes of blank screen before you see the intro or one of the acts. This is true in both Hulu regular and Hulu plus. And as you can see, the entire library is behind a paywall, and only thirty of those can be seen for free here, with other episodes being switched in every Wednesday.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
Wiggles66

Re: Hulu??? Really?

Postby Wiggles66 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:10 am

i want hulu to go f*ck itself up the ass and die, im fine with the sh*tty ad times, but limiting what i used to be able to watch for free, seriously f*ck you hulu and f*ck you southparkstudios
epiphanes777

Postby epiphanes777 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:03 pm

Big-Will wrote:Meanwhile, Matt and Trey don't care how you get your eps. They've maintained since before the show was put on this site that piracy hasn't hurt them any. They've had nothing but success with the show.

...which is why I don't think there's anything wrong with torrenting South Park episodes. Most torrents these days are ripped professionally in HD quality, none of them are camrips anymore.

Torrent is the ideal way to enjoy South Park, free of commercials.

If you subscribe to Hulu you are not supporting Matt and Trey in any way. Maybe a fraction of a cent. Instead, you are supporting Hulu and enabling them to keep getting away with murder.

Some of you actually think its *honorable* to sit through commercials because you're "supporting M&T"? This makes me LMAO. Watching commercials is a waste of time.

We all have the right to enjoy any media without having ads shoved in our face. They may generate revenue, but this doesn't concern the consumer and there is nothing noble about letting ads run.

Advertising should not be seen as something righteous.

Hence, I urge you all to NOT subscribe because HULU's parasitic, unethical business model should not be successfully propagated.
zzyzx 2

Postby zzyzx 2 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:03 am

Big-Will wrote:The most spectacular instance of that happened earlier this year when the uncensored version of "201" showed up in torrents. Even the speeches at the end of the episode were unbleeped. (might still be up on TPB).

Thanks for updating your transcript on the spscriptorium, Big-Will :D
agent-FSS

Postby agent-FSS » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:20 am

epiphanes777 wrote:
Big-Will wrote:Meanwhile, Matt and Trey don't care how you get your eps. They've maintained since before the show was put on this site that piracy hasn't hurt them any. They've had nothing but success with the show.
Hence, I urge you all to NOT subscribe because HULU's parasitic, unethical business model should not be successfully propagated.
Well, I don't subscribed... why me to watch every episode a hundred times, for I quite two, three. I do not care HULU here or not. A couple of minutes of commercials, although I hate commercials, especially stupid, it's quite a bit, the site should have the opportunity to earn money. You might think that if here write a bunch of reviews disgruntled users that something will change?
zzyzx 2 wrote:
Big-Will wrote:The most spectacular instance of that happened earlier this year when the uncensored version of "201" showed up in torrents. Even the speeches at the end of the episode were unbleeped. (might still be up on TPB).
Thanks for updating your transcript on the spscriptorium, Big-Will :D
Oh my God, what there said such horrible that demanded censorship?
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:51 am

agent-FSS wrote:Oh my God, what there said such horrible that demanded censorship?
Three speeches which by themselves were not horrible at all, but they showed up at the end of an episode that hinted that it would show Muhammad. A Muslim convert heard about it and warned Comedy Central of death coming to the show's creators, so Comedy Central censored the speeches for fear that someone would actually try to kill Matt and Trey over the episode. Comedy Central has not reversed its decision. That episode and the one before it were not put into DVDs outside the US, so if you have the Season 14 DVD set, you probably don't have the episodes "200" and "201" on it, and now you know why.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
agent-FSS

Postby agent-FSS » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:19 pm

Big-Will wrote:
agent-FSS wrote:Oh my God, what there said such horrible that demanded censorship?
Three speeches which by themselves were not horrible at all, but they showed up at the end of an episode that hinted that it would show Muhammad. A Muslim convert heard about it and warned Comedy Central of death coming to the show's creators, so Comedy Central censored the speeches for fear that someone would actually try to kill Matt and Trey over the episode. Comedy Central has not reversed its decision. That episode and the one before it were not put into DVDs outside the US, so if you have the Season 14 DVD set, you probably don't have the episodes "200" and "201" on it, and now you know why.
Guess I'd scared too. So the threats were very real? I'll have to ask at Muslims, what they think about this.
South Park on DVD in Russia? :lol: However you wag ... :D Tell it our pirates! It seems torrents is still not banned, though they promise... to win windmills... Only Bloody Mary to have been banned here, seems, and I'm don't watched this episode and can't find. On the other hand now I know what evoked uneasiness.
And HULU works fine, why some don't like.
zzyzx 2

Postby zzyzx 2 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:00 am

agent-FSS wrote:... Only Bloody Mary to have been banned here, seems, and I'm don't watched this episode and can't find.
Have you at least read Bloody Mary on Big-Will's spscriptorium site? Big-Will makes his own transcripts himself :)

First, here's a link to his episode guide: http://spscriptorium.com/ScriptGuideIndex.htm

On the left, click on "9" for season 9, and then click on the book icon for episode "14." That's the script/transcript for "Bloody Mary."

Later, explore all that Big-Will's site has to offer. I know you'll enjoy it. I do :D
http://spscriptorium.com
mo303564

Postby mo303564 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:52 am

I have a solution and why HULU is a FAIL.

The SOLUTION: BUY ALL THE DVD's!! South Park DVD sets range from $15-$40 per season. That way you can watch the episodes you want to at ANY TIME!!

Now some might be asking...what about the CURRENT season?!? Well, as of this moment, most if not all of the current season episodes are FREE. So I suggest watching them now before they change that. In the meantime during the switch off from the offseason. If they are not here, I suggest buying or downloading the episode on Apple or Amazon.

So while M&T are still making money off of Hulu by us being here (site is run by hulu. episodes free or not are provided by hulu), it will limit the amount of sales they will receive. If people revolt or want change...there is always a way to get it. In some way, shape, or form. So there you have the solutions. Yes it costs money. But if you don't want Hulu...follow my (and many other peoples) lead. :timmy:
RTL: I love being a dick to people for no reason. It makes me feel better about how my mom smacks me around with a frozen T Bone steak.
mahmethan

Postby mahmethan » Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:19 pm

Here is why the Hulu move doesn't make sense. I am a loyal fan of the show. I have ad blocking software that I disabled so that I could contribute to the show while I watched online. I am a broke graduate student who doesn't even have cable. Do you really think I am going to pay for Hulu plus? No. I was so proud of the creators for quelling the greed that overwhelms this industry, but it is obvious that they need even more money than the ungodly amount that they already have. I am not switching to Hulu plus guys, in this market you should have realized that all of your videos are available for free through other services! Why would you forego what little I could contribute through watching your videos here. OK well off to torrent then I suppose. Good luck dumbasses.
quitpickingonme

Postby quitpickingonme » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:30 pm

mahmethan wrote:Here is why the Hulu move doesn't make sense.
Here's why the Hulu move does make sense. Which site do you think draws more viewers, Hulu or southparkstudios.com? By turning over the show to Hulu, Matt and Trey get to reach a bigger audience while collecting a check at the same time.

Just because you don't get to watch the same episodes that you've already seen indefinitely doesn't mean that the deal doesn't make sense. You should be thankful that they are still showing both new and a collection of classic episodes on their site. I don't know of any other mainstream show that makes their entire catalog available for free online.
kfgg

Postby kfgg » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:13 pm

I don't believe it's as much as Matt & Trey alone as it is Viacom and Matt & Trey.

Viacom has recently increased their partnership with Hulu by adding more of their shows and extending the contract. In addition, Hulu gets commercial airtime on the networks.

Nickelodeon is the latest. MTV-2 was scrolling over and over about how a bunch of 90s Nickelodeon shows are being added to Hulu/Hulu Plus.

Here's a few articles:
http://variety.com/2014/digital/news/hu ... 201341031/

http://m.hollywoodreporter.com/entry/view/id/806236

I believe Viacom had a heavy influence in this decision as well.
Stan and Kyle :)
Dranneb

Re: Hulu??? Really?

Postby Dranneb » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:25 am

A constructive comment I'd like to make here is that SPS could be more "integrated" with Hulu for a better South Park experience.

For example... it would be great if Plus members could actually build playlists from the entire library (not just the random free ones) and stream them without leaving SPS. Maybe this is possible now and I have just not figured it out yet.

If Hulu is here to stay and drive the episodes, I am sure there are some ways, like that, to streamline and improve the experience for watching video, especially for the paying Plus members.

Return to “General South Park Discussion”