The Importance of a free "Ad-Free" experience

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

Blank_

The Importance of a free "Ad-Free" experience

Postby Blank_ » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:43 am

Dear South Park Studios,

On behalf of the anonymous nation, I would like to express to you the mixed feelings we are receiving from you as fans. We love your show, the ideas you promote, and the hard work you put into orchestrating such whimsical satire.

We have grown very fond of the show over the years it has been aired. We remember the first episode we watched, and we have memorized enough one-liners to drive our peers crazy. When we found this place where we could re-live all of those one liners and episodes of old we rejoiced. We could have all the ad free enjoyment we wanted. We could relax and enjoy your content unimpeded by the very ideas Trey and Matt poke fun at on the show.

This love, we feel, has become disturbed. We believe in a free and open internet for all. A place we can escape from the public. We do not wish to be inundated with mindless ads from companies who want to steal our money and Fist f**k us as often as they would like.

Your partnership with Hulu appears to be a wonderful business move, and I applaud you on that. Where, however, is the need for such a venture? Is your show not successful enough with South Park Studios' ad free viewing? Do you feel like you need to choke the last bit of sanity we have left after our long and tiring public lives?

We will never come to this website again, for the power of the dark side is too strong here. The internet is a free and open place. Our escape for the mundane inundations of society. Because of this partnership with Hulu, all the love we once felt is now tarnished.

We hereby boycott this website.
Support a free and open internet, ad free.

Sincerely,

Blank

tl;dr: The ads are bogus. We aren't coming back.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Re: The Importance of a free "Ad-Free" experience

Postby Big-Will » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:14 am

M'kay...

The rest of you, know that the ads are here to make money for South Park Studios, not for Matt and Trey (though I'm sure they get a sizable chunk out of it). We've always had ads here and at time they've been so intrusive that we blocked them out if we had the software for it, and we will continue to have them.

We have a much larger online audience now because of Hulu, despite the Netflix fiasco (I don't know how much the Studios were getting from Netflix, as Netflix didn't power the streams here the way Hulu does now)
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
UhhIDontKnow

Postby UhhIDontKnow » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:28 pm

Big-Will wrote:M'kay...

The rest of you, know that the ads are here to make money for South Park Studios, not for Matt and Trey (though I'm sure they get a sizable chunk out of it). We've always had ads here and at time they've been so intrusive that we blocked them out if we had the software for it, and we will continue to have them.

We have a much larger online audience now because of Hulu, despite the Netflix fiasco (I don't know how much the Studios were getting from Netflix, as Netflix didn't power the streams here the way Hulu does now)

Yes there have always been ads here, which makes one wonder why a move was needed? The ads served from the old player didn't cause the player to freeze and require a browser restart (which then also replays the ads). That's the painful part of Hulu that will prevent me from ever subscribing, their service is frustrating and just plain bad. The old player wasn't (well it had times where they would jack it, but in general it was fine).

Just having South Park on Hulu will bring in new people so of course there is a spike now. But why take 90%+ of the episodes offline to everyone unless they're a Hulu subscriber? Why did Hulu need to be the exclusive source to increase viewership? Why does the whole thing need to stink of greed and of screwing the old fans?

And where is my Hulu thread? It didn't violate the TOS, why was it deleted? Too much negative opinion? Sorry but when companies make greedy decisions that shaft their fans they need to hear about it.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:50 pm

You'll have to ask nall about your thread. I just merge them when they all cover the same topic.

Apparently, you had a much better experience with the old player than a lot of members did. If you didn't use Adblock, then I'm impressed.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
UhhIDontKnow

Postby UhhIDontKnow » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:55 pm

Big-Will wrote:You'll have to ask nall about your thread. I just merge them when they all cover the same topic.

Apparently, you had a much better experience with the old player than a lot of members did. If you didn't use Adblock, then I'm impressed.

At least people could play every episode for free in the old player. The new one makes you subscribe for all the episodes, and still forces ads down your throat even when you're paying them.

Message to Hulu: people don't want to return to the 1950s TV experience. Don't try to force it on them!

At any rate, my fandom has been damaged. When I watch SP now it's not the same. So congrats with the wider viewing audience, just know the old fans have been screwed and aren't happy. Delete what you will, I don't really care.
kfgg

Postby kfgg » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:53 pm

Hulu wanted a specific demographic which they were lacking. Men 18-34.

South Park has always gained a lot from Men 18-34. Comedy Central in general (Daily Show, Colbert Report, etc) is aimed at the 18-34 male demographic.

This is something Hulu wanted. And they must have waved a lot of cash at either Viacom, SPS or both. An offer they couldn't refuse likely.
Stan and Kyle :)

Return to “General South Park Discussion”