Reflections on Butterballs

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

Grievous George

Reflections on Butterballs

Postby Grievous George » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:04 am

As a victim of bullying, I remember watching the episode and thinking that I wasn't enthusiastic or impressed about it, which is still the case today. The way that they tackled the issue of bullying was was no laughing matter because it's all too real for victims of bullying. Instead of letting her off the hook, Butters should have fought back against his grandma and gone on with his life.
JVM

Re: Reflections on Butterballs

Postby JVM » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:00 am

Grievous George wrote:As a victim of bullying, I remember watching the episode and thinking that I wasn't enthusiastic or impressed about it, which is still the case today. The way that they tackled the issue of bullying was was no laughing matter because it's all too real for victims of bullying. Instead of letting her off the hook, Butters should have fought back against his grandma and gone on with his life.
I'm not trying to invalidate your point, but I think what Matt and Trey wanted to focus on instances of bullying where one is powerless. Butters can't tell people about his grandma and he can't use force -- so he takes solace in the fact that he'll still be there when she's gone, which in a sense, makes him stronger than anything she can do.

It wasn't the 'best' choice, but it was a creative one for certain.
South Park is a platform for Matt and Trey's social commentary and satire; there is no canon and these characters only serve as tools for self-expression. Don't get attached.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:24 am

Grievous George wrote:As a victim of bullying, I remember watching the episode and thinking that I wasn't enthusiastic or impressed about it, which is still the case today. The way that they tackled the issue of bullying was was no laughing matter because it's all too real for victims of bullying. Instead of letting her off the hook, Butters should have fought back against his grandma and gone on with his life.
That's pretty much what he did. He wasn't gonna hit a woman, but he did say this:

"Someday you're gonna die. Someday pretty soon. And when you're layin' in that hospital bed, with tubes up your nose, and that little pan under your butt to pee in, well I'll come visit ya. I'll come just to show you that, that I'm still alive and I'm still happy. And you'll die. Bein' nothin' but you. 'Night Grandma."
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
Grievous George

Postby Grievous George » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:21 am

By fighting back, it wasn't meant that he would hit her but to tell her off with force and go on with his life.
JamesPup

Postby JamesPup » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:35 am

Well if grandma was bigger than most children would just yell and cry and maybe throw things around. I remember my grandma was a pain sometimes but I usually deserved it. It is kind of funny that a grandma would pick on a 10 year old boy. I think the joke is Butters is suppose to be a younger child than 10 in maturity or at least in this episode. No Granma would pick on a 10 year old so bad or at least I would think. Maybe if they are dying or are just a bitch but I have never met an old person that was such a bitch.
What seems to be the officer problem?

Return to “General South Park Discussion”