Why is bruce jenner driving an MGB?

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

dburdick

Why is bruce jenner driving an MGB?

Postby dburdick » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:46 pm

Why did they put Bruce Jenner in an MGB? These are great little roadsters with lots of Ye olde British "character"; which is to say you need to be a pretty fair mechanic to keep one going. I doubt the mutilated freak formally known as Bruce Jenner would risk breaking a nail by looking under the bonnet of an old british roadster when it puts him down. I think a Miata would have been a better choice! :timmy:
BRMBug

Re: Why is bruce jenner driving an MGB?

Postby BRMBug » Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:46 am

We may never know. Unless there's some light shed on it in the mini-commentary in the disc release.

I still find it super random that the Unsafe Meme instructional vid featured a mk1 Ford EXP. :lol:
bprado

Postby bprado » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:10 pm

dburdick wrote:... the mutilated freak...
Of all the bad things you could probably say about the person, you choose exactly the one that attacks not the person you want (at all), but an entire group of unknown real people who did nothing to offend you but a choice that is their own.

It´s so sad the amount of people who watch South Park but don´t get it.
dburdick

Postby dburdick » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:03 am

bprado wrote:
dburdick wrote:... the mutilated freak...
Of all the bad things you could probably say about the person, you choose exactly the one that attacks not the person you want (at all), but an entire group of unknown real people who did nothing to offend you but a choice that is their own.

Are you serious? First of all these episodes were attacking PC, the venom coursing through the veins of society today. Second of all their "choice" is constantly being shoved in America's collective face and I'm sick of it! And thirdly, shame on the surgeons that worked on Bruce. What happened to the Hippocratic Oath they took? I guess the "do no harm" part doesn't apply when carving up a rich celebrity. Bruce needed the services of a competent psychologist, not a surgeons scalpel. I wonder, were they able to remove that "Y" from his XY chromosome arrangement?
Niels0827

Postby Niels0827 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:15 am

Because it's apparently trendy to drive older convertibles. I've seen many advertisements and movies set in recent times where a protagonist or other character will drive an MG, Triumph, or Austin-Healey. I just walked into a bowling alley tonight while taking a shortcut through the mall and noticed a blue MGB convertible sitting quite randomly inside near the shoe rental desk. Looked exactly like the one my aunt had in the 1980s and 90s.
BRMBug wrote:I still find it super random that the Unsafe Meme instructional vid featured a mk1 Ford EXP. :lol:
I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed. EXPs and Mercury LN7s are among the most obscure and forgotten cars, mostly because they were steaming piles of horse sh*t next to their competitors. It makes little sense that of the thousands of car models made over the years, they'd choose an EXP. One of them must have had some experience with one at some point.
JVM

Postby JVM » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:31 am

I'm sorry, bprado -- it's unfortunate that the animators at South Park chose to render Caitlyn Jenner the way they did, essentially as a 'mutilated freak' with mis-matched eyes and a permanent lisp, things that we don't usually see on character designs, which really furthers the transphobic narrative. I'm completely fine with the jokes about Caitlyn's personality, which all seemed fairly 'fair game' given her behavior in reality, but the visual representation really does not help matters. Very unfortunate.
Are you serious? First of all these episodes were attacking PC, the venom coursing through the veins of society today. Second of all their "choice" is constantly being shoved in America's collective face and I'm sick of it! And thirdly, shame on the surgeons that worked on Bruce. What happened to the Hippocratic Oath they took? I guess the "do no harm" part doesn't apply when carving up a rich celebrity. Bruce needed the services of a competent psychologist, not a surgeons scalpel. I wonder, were they able to remove that "Y" from his XY chromosome arrangement?
This post is ridiculous. Caitlyn Jenner lived sixty years of her life identifying as a male. I'm sure in those sixty years she's tried plenty of "solutions" that didn't involve hormones or surgery - in fact, I know she has, because she's talked about it in interviews before :) She's no mutilated freak.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed. EXPs and Mercury LN7s are among the most obscure and forgotten cars, mostly because they were steaming piles of horse sh*t next to their competitors. It makes little sense that of the thousands of car models made over the years, they'd choose an EXP. One of them must have had some experience with one at some point.
If they were "steaming piles of horse sh*t", I imagine an EXP would be very fitting to the style and overall 'joke' of the sequence. Very dated, like the hairstyles and clothing of the characters depicted, furthering the joke that they're talking about a then-month-old meme of 'Tebowing'. It sounds logical to me.
South Park is a platform for Matt and Trey's social commentary and satire; there is no canon and these characters only serve as tools for self-expression. Don't get attached.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:08 am

JVM wrote:I'm sorry, bprado -- it's unfortunate that the animators at South Park chose to render Caitlyn Jenner the way they did, essentially as a 'mutilated freak' with mis-matched eyes and a permanent lisp, things that we don't usually see on character designs, which really furthers the transphobic narrative. I'm completely fine with the jokes about Caitlyn's personality, which all seemed fairly 'fair game' given her behavior in reality, but the visual representation really does not help matters. Very unfortunate.
Blame the source material. They did Michael Jackson the same way. That Caitlyn is staying in the show as Garrison's running mate shows how much Trey really likes her. Her face looks a lot better these days.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
dburdick

Postby dburdick » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:51 pm

Folks, I didn't mean to start a discussion on this subject. This was my first post on this site. I thought this was a lighthearted site, full of non-PC people. I can't imagine why anyone with a PC mentality would watch South Park but, obviously they do and I have offended them. If I could I would take down the post but I don't know how to. I was just 18 when I saw Bruce win the Decathlon in the '76 games in Montreal. I graduated from High school that spring, and it was the nation's Bicentennial, all reasons why I remember that time so well and so fondly. Now to see what has happened to a guy I admired so much, it is very sad, and I feel let down by him. I stand by what I said before, he needed a good psychologist, not a damn greedy cosmetic surgeon. I'm sorry to any of the sensitive people on this site that I have offended, it won't happen again, as this will be my last post. Thank you. dburdick
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:36 am

A good psychologist is no guarantee that Bruce would have stayed a man.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:40 am

So he gets negative feedback from one person and goes away pouting?
Interesting.

Sorry we couldn't 100% reinforce your opinions.

There's a difference between rejection of hyper-sensitivity and being an asshole. Calling someone a mutilated freak does not put you in the same category as a person calling bullshit on the idea that you can't level legitimate criticism at someone who happens to belong to a minority or marginalized group without being branded as racist or phobic.

It has become increasingly annoying when people can't make this distinction.

You read it! You can't unread it!
bprado

Postby bprado » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:52 pm

Regarding her looks - I personally don´t mind the portrayal, mainly because I see it as a sign of respect. Respecting someone´s individuality means being able to tell them they don´t look good when they don´t. In a way, that´s the point of the episode in which she´s introduced - respecting her doesn´t mean overlooking her personal flaws just because of the choice she made, it means judging such flaws exactly the same way you would judge those of someone who hasn´t made that same choice. Because they´re the same. No one should applaud her running over people with her car just because she´s transgender, just like no one should say she´s beautiful if they don´t think so just because she´s transgender. She´s not a beautiful, stunning woman - she´s just a woman. A brave one, even if also a superficial one. Honestly, I don´t know much about the person.

Regarding the OP, for a moment there I thought there could be some sort of confusion from his part. I wanted to point out he could be mistakenly looking like a bigot by choosing words carelessly, like many people who don´t understand the role of language do. It was me who was mistaken, though. OP clearly just hates people for their sexual orientation - which I suppose is within his rights.

Edit: And by all means, you don´t have to stop visiting the site because of me. I haven´t been around for long but I suspect I´m a PC minority here. I can even stay away from your topics if you wish. I just can´t help but to point out the irony of someone who reacts like that and complains about oversensitivity.
JVM

Postby JVM » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:37 am

Blame the source material. They did Michael Jackson the same way. That Caitlyn is staying in the show as Garrison's running mate shows how much Trey really likes her. Her face looks a lot better these days.
There's no way they gave her that ridiculous lisp on some kind of fluke. It had to be intentional on Trey's part, one way or another. Maybe the commentary might shed some light.

I hope nobody in this thread has made the mistake of assuming I'm offended by the show. I may sometimes disagree with creative choices, but I wouldn't be on this forum if I didn't support the show.
South Park is a platform for Matt and Trey's social commentary and satire; there is no canon and these characters only serve as tools for self-expression. Don't get attached.
jfast94

Postby jfast94 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:56 pm

I don't know if you can watch South Park and be easily offended. Same goes for a lot of sketch comedy shows (SNL, Key and Peele, etc.) or satire sights like The Onion. Just as SP says whatever they want it's viewers probably will too. I don't agree with Jenner being described as a mutilated freak, but I'm not going to come down on someone that post it in a SP forum either.

Return to “General South Park Discussion”