The Season 20 Rant

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

John_117

The Season 20 Rant

Postby John_117 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:48 am

Let me start off by saying that I didn’t enjoy much of seasons 1, 2, 3, 15, and some of 16. I enjoyed most of the others. I especially loved 17. But for all intents and purposes, I’m going to mention mostly seasons 18 through 20 because those three seasons really the ones that brought in the continuity.

The thing why seasons 18 and 19 worked is that each episode brought in a new element, a new plotline. Each episode focused not only on the new plotline but the overarching big plot as a whole. The new plotline always resolves itself by the end of the episode but the big plot slowly moves forward in a sensible fashion. I know not everyone likes seasons 18 or 19, but unless you’re one of those people who only hate season 19 because it makes fun of social justice warriors, then it’s your preference I suppose.

This is a trend I’ve noticed with season 20, it’s becoming much of the same jokes over and over again. Yes, it makes sense for the first two episodes of this season because it’s supposed to set up the big plot, but every episode thereafter has been about: Gerald. Garrison. J.J. Abrams. New Star Wars. “Let’s go to Mars.” Trolltrace. Member Berries. Cue Danish song. “Women are funny!”

I don’t think Kenny even has one speaking line this season, hell, when PC Principal called in Cartman’s “friends” because of all his electronics getting broken (I think the 3rd episode?) the writers chose Butters, Stan, Kyle, and Token. The first three make sense, but Token? The writers forgot Kenny existed for something?

Stan and Wendy had been completely useless this entire season, hell, if it weren’t for the Gentleman’s Club thing, they both (along with Kenny) might have also been background characters this season. I wish both actually did something, either stopping the gender war or trying to make the gender war more nastier (I’d honestly be fine with either) but I don’t like it when you have two students with the most social influence at their school sit back in the shadows like that – doesn’t feel right to me.

Randy’s role has certainly improved, and I’m actually glad he’s useful this season, so credit to Matt and Trey there. He’s still kind of a bumbling dad, but at least he’s not full Homer Simpson anymore, he’s actually tried to get sh*t done.

I think Heidi is a fine character all on her own. I don’t have any opinion on the Heiman pairing, but it feels really forced this season, and it feels really overdone, it should have been resolved by now.

This season is pretty much the Gerald/Heiman/Garrison show, and it’s been the same thing over and over. We get it, Garrison is Darth Vader, Gerald is an assh*le, Cartman repeats that women are smart and funny while sh*tting on the new Ghostbusters movie. I don’t know, we’ve reached the point when the social commentary overshadowed the comedy. Don’t get me wrong, I think that since season 4, there had always been some social commentary, whether it’s political or more casual, but they’re really forgoing the comedy here, or the other characters to focus on the few.

What I hope would happen:
-Stan and Wendy resolve their relationship.
-Kyle and Ike goes to Stan and Wendy for advice.
-Gerald breaks out of trolltrace and beats up the Danish guy.
-Caitlyn Jenner becomes president and Mr. Garrison returns home.
-Principal Victoria comes back.

What I think will happen:
-Stan and Wendy resolve their relationship.
-Kyle and Ike try to tell others but get stopped somehow.
-More “Women are funny, get over it.”
-More references to Star Wars, especially from member berries.
-The Danish guy gets killed by Russians or something.
-Mr. Garrison stays as president.

The main point is that there is too much repetition between the third and eighth episodes. It’s basically mostly Gerald, Garrison, Heiman, and Star Wars jokes. Repeating something over and over doesn’t make it funny. And the worst part is that I’m not sure how this season will end as the plot just feels like a complete mess because there are too many unresolved things that have gone on for too long. I hope the last two episodes will prove me wrong, but we’ll see.

Now despite everything I have stated, I still love the show, it's still one of my favorites, and even though I have criticized it quite completely, it's still not the worst season. But I just kinda wish we didn't rehash the same characters every episode.
Jesi

Re: The Season 20 Rant

Postby Jesi » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:23 pm

I disagree... I dont want Victoria back... and I love PC Principal. HE is crazy in his own way just like Garrison and other South Park citizens where SHE was boring female that dont know any jokes.

I prefer new seasons as well... they have more time to build the story... and throwing short stories that dont have time to evolve was fun only for first few seasons where we didn't know the characters. The only thing for making better than this season would be superheroes themed, or maybe fantasy themed season.
Member Stick of Truth ?
buildorelese21

Postby buildorelese21 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:13 pm

Ooo looks like we have a badass here.
Step aside.
Last edited by buildorelese21 on Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
kfgg

Postby kfgg » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:49 am

Just be glad we have a Season 20 and 21, 22 and 23 to go (Possibly beyond if they extend their contract) If something doesn't work out, there's more to come. I wasn't all that happy with the way Season 19 went. Season 20 was so-so. When we had 14 episodes, 7 in the Spring and 7 in the fall there were season halves that were not to my personal liking, but others that were fantastic.

There's plenty that can be done. If one thing isn't all that great, again, like an album that you didn't like all that well, there's others.
Stan and Kyle :)
jesusdelaojr

Postby jesusdelaojr » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:42 am

#IAM #PC
90sFan

Postby 90sFan » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:58 pm

Well, this may be unrelated, but for those who didn't like Season 20, I've made this petition:

https://www.change.org/p/matt-stone-eve ... way-it-was

It's a petition for everything in South Park to go back to how it was back in the 90s and 00s, when I used to watch it.

I really dislike the new seasons because of reasons which you'll see on the petition should you ever decide to sign it.

And so, I'm sending this to Matt Stone, Trey Parker and Comedy Central in order to make my voice heard.

You don't have to sign it if you don't want to, but it's there just in case you want to.

For those that do want to sign it, though, just follow this hashtag:

#goingbackwards

And together we can make South Park great again!

Because, as a certain 4th grader once said, "I just want everything to go back to the way it was."

Thank you. :)
JamesPolo

Postby JamesPolo » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:53 pm

90sFan wrote:Well, this may be unrelated, but for those who didn't like Season 20, I've made this petition:

It's a petition for everything in South Park to go back to how it was back in the 90s and 00s, when I used to watch it.

I really dislike the new seasons because of reasons which you'll see on the petition should you ever decide to sign it.

And so, I'm sending this to Matt Stone, Trey Parker and Comedy Central in order to make my voice heard.

You don't have to sign it if you don't want to, but it's there just in case you want to.

#goingbackwards

Because, as a certain 4th grader once said, "I just want everything to go back to the way it was."

Things on the show got old and repetitive. So new material was needed like having characters leave their stereotypical behavior so the show could maintain freshness. If you want the past there are over 100 episodes of South Park to watch before 2010 started.
He was a wise man who invented beer. -Plato
https://www.machiavelliannews.com/
mario88

Postby mario88 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:10 pm

what do you guys think will be used of season 20 in season 21? i mean, it is pretty obvious garrison is still going to be trump's alter ego. and, if we have to judge by the season's 20 finale, it isn't going to be "serialized" anymore. but still, there are story arch left unfinished: will they be dropped altogether or developed in stand alone episodes? what will be of the member berries? what are the memberberries' boss and his gang up to?
He is the record!
90sFan

Postby 90sFan » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:32 pm

JamesPolo wrote:
90sFan wrote:Well, this may be unrelated, but for those who didn't like Season 20, I've made this petition:

#goingbackwards

Things on the show got old and repetitive. So new material was needed like having characters leave their stereotypical behavior so the show could maintain freshness. If you want the past there are over 100 episodes of South Park to watch before 2010 started.
So...you're suggesting that I could watch those instead of having new episodes like they were before?
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:50 pm

Right. If you want to see the show the way it was, there are plenty of seasons you can go back to and watch them again. New stuff shouldn't have to go over old "the way it was" material.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version and UK version
andreymsandy

Postby andreymsandy » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:17 pm

Agreed almost at all.
Concerning Stan and Wendy participation.
On the contrary, decision of Authors to put them aside out of this political mess especially after ending episode 5 and
short scene of Stan's attempt of reconciliation in episode 7 i think was absolutely correct, they did not deserve to be like just another kind of background characters which actually could do something without complete understanding in what they had been involved.
May be the initial plot line for them was too thin and eventually broken in the day after day of election.
Actually I think these two influential characters escaped from miscomprehension in this big joke, {which had become all this crazy trolled world} into something new, that would give them new abilities to surprise us once more.
They do something pretty reasonable either together, or just keep doing that by standing alone,
and as far not always they hit the point, but they always reach our hearts.
I hope that this break will let them continue their personal evolution and of course they will resolve relationship in next 21 season.
If my spelling or grammar is not correct, i apologize for that, English is not my native language.
theChriss

Postby theChriss » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:42 pm

Season 20 wasn't bad by any means... More like, boring. I swear, every single episode was just filler for the next, aside from the first and last one, making 8 episodes in a row nothing but filler. Useless filler. The member berries were just shoved aside and all their build up was for nothing. Not even explained how they came to be.
andreymsandy

Postby andreymsandy » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:38 pm

mario88 wrote:what do you guys think will be used of season 20 in season 21? i mean, it is pretty obvious garrison is still going to be trump's alter ego. and, if we have to judge by the season's 20 finale, it isn't going to be "serialized" anymore. but still, there are story arch left unfinished: will they be dropped altogether or developed in stand alone episodes? what will be of the member berries? what are the memberberries' boss and his gang up to?
What I think we could expect in 21 season derived from 20.

Hope Trey&Matt will shed light in origin of member berries and where were they come from.
In my opinion probably they arrived at our planet from another galaxy in times of ancient egypt.

Also there could be a vast field of activity in plot-lines as far as new President of USA
will try to succeed in attempts to make America Great Again...

Gender war between boys and girls in SP Elementary, here might be several variants.
These three versions I proposed promptly IMO at the end of season.

First, "light version" in that we will face from the start episode that war is already over
(internet history is wiped out somehow), all couples have brought back together. Get over it!

In Second, there could be place to some pairs, not only certainly for Stan&Wendy, but also for Red&Cevin, Heidi&Cartman
to demonstrate their new skills dealing peaceful agreement between boys & girls.

Third could be mix of second variant, but with addition that Cartman will use his skills to provoke somehow Heidi
in order to know whether she acts like "snake in the grass", or not, and then Cartman will choose how to reveal the truth.

As for "End of Serialization as we Know it" in new season I hope Trey&Matt will develop new season story lines in
stand alone episodes, but will make them linked through the time with some significant events, which might happen in each separate episode.
If my spelling or grammar is not correct, i apologize for that, English is not my native language.
attaboy

Postby attaboy » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:03 am

The reason it's boring is because it isn't funny. The reason it isn't funny is bcz its leaning towards PCness. Face it South Park is becoming milquetoast. Take a look at the issues - Bill Clinton explains to Butters that men have been rotten to women so we as men deserve what's coming down the pike. Clinton sings a song w/ Bill Cosby about becoming gentlemen. They have been rehabilitated and they urge the boys to become gentlemen too.

Cartman has a girlfriend, repeat Cartman has a girlfriend. There is actually a girl who likes a likeable Eric Cartman. He supports her in an over the top manner. The worst thing he has done is to try and hide something from his past. His PAST. He was rotten in the past. Everyone is getting rehabed to become decent people. It's squishy.

It could be said Eric is only being nice bcz he's afraid of losing her. That's not very rotten. In fact it sounds pretty typical for a kid. That's how emotionally developed kids are. They're just kids. Besides plenty of adults are just as selfish and scared.

I don't know where season 20 is headed but so far it isn't bad bcz the show has gone off the rails. It's bad bcz South Park has run out of rebellion and it's coasting to a halt.
As a kid I used to think my nickname was Attaboy until I realized they were betting on the dog - "Atta boy, get 'em! Get 'em!"

Return to “General South Park Discussion”