Post Season 22

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

Airborn56

Post Season 22

Postby Airborn56 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:20 am

Now that we're about to wrap up this season and no planned projects outside the show have been announced, will Trey and Matt ever return to a half and half season? Half and half being episodes in the spring and episodes in the fall. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels as if the seasons go by real quick, but I feel if they return to a Spring/Fall seasons would feel much longer and won't have the issue of playing catch up with some current issues.
kfgg

Re: Post Season 22

Postby kfgg » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:12 am

I wish they would (I always thought 5 Spring, 5 Fall would be great) but I don’t think they will. It’s been the way it is now for the last 5-6 years. It must work well for them. Nobody is getting any younger.
JamesPolo

Postby JamesPolo » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:37 am

As I remember they made the switch after the Sandy Hook School Shooting. I think Trey and Matt have been questioned on this issue and stated they want to keep the schedule the way it is now. I forget their reasoning but it seems we are stuck with 10 episodes made in the Fall.
He was a wise man who invented beer. -Plato
https://www.machiavelliannews.com/
Airborn56

Postby Airborn56 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:31 am

JamesPolo wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:37 am
As I remember they made the switch after the Sandy Hook School Shooting. I think Trey and Matt have been questioned on this issue and stated they want to keep the schedule the way it is now. I forget their reasoning but it seems we are stuck with 10 episodes made in the Fall.
Wasn't it for them to focus work on Stick of Truth and Fractured But Whole?
kfgg

Postby kfgg » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:00 am

At this point they have families and would probably prefer as few weeks away from them as possible. Think about it. This works out so instead of 7 weeks or more nonstop in the spring and fall, they can do 3 weeks, break, 3 weeks, break, 4 weeks, season done in the fall and winter. It also probably keeps them interested in doing it. It’s kind of human nature almost among people who like creating things. If you have a lot of time away from it, that time away sort of builds up and can lead to that urge to do something. This probably allows for a better show.

I’m just thinking out loud here.
Airborn56

Postby Airborn56 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:51 am

While that's a perfectly valid point, being out of work for extended amount of time can get on people's nerves. I'm implying of course that the staff doesn't do anything major inbetween seasons. Personally I would prefer to have shorter but more breaks than one long break, it's kinda like that dread of going back to school after summer versus going back to school after an extended weekend. But hey, i don't have a family yet so it might be totally different lol
kfgg

Postby kfgg » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:06 am

Forgot exactly when it was, but there was an interview where Trey mentioned he started saying things in a “Cartman voice” after being away so long.

There’s been a lot of mentions of “There is no appointment viewing anymore” meaning people don’t wait around to watch it on TV like they used to. A lot of people simply stream new episodes over time. The way South Park has shown huge numbers on Hulu (Most watched show) and ratings on cable have gone down pretty much shows it.

A lot of people binge watch. Viacom knows this. Almost all of their cable networks are marathons of one or two shows at length now.
Airborn56

Postby Airborn56 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:26 am

But South Park is a very current events show. It's kind of awkward to have a show reference dated events in a show like the black panther joke. I wouldn't even mind a 5/5 season. I personally think the episodes being split up is better than having a single run through.
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:18 am

The switch to a single run happened with a new contract that cut the number of episodes per season from 14 to 10. As others have pointed out, it was to give everyone the chance to work on other projects. Much harder to commit to things when your year is broken up by two runs of a TV show. For the entertainment industry, it frees people who work at South Park Studios for what they call "pilot season"; the time of year when everyone is casting and filming pilots for new TV shows.

You read it! You can't unread it!

Return to “General South Park Discussion”