Standard Definition Early Seasons

This is the feedback forum. Please use it to leave comments about features or anything else you would like seen added to Southparkstudios.com
Mr.HankySmoothie

Standard Definition Early Seasons

Postby Mr.HankySmoothie » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:37 am

So, I've been a huge fan of South Park since I was a kid. I've been watching since season 1. I, personally, am of the view that film and television is not just entertainment, but also part of history, including South Park. And, basically, I really miss the original, 4:3, 480i, standard definition look of the first 11 seasons. I love how the show looks now, but when I watch the early seasons, I want it to look like how the early seasons looked when they originally aired. How I remember them. What it looked like when it shocked the entire country. Lol. It's almost like re-writing history. I will say that I applaud how you guys went about re-rending those seasons, in that you didn't change anything, and merely added more background to fit 16:9 screens, and modernized the look of it. But, still. I want to watch the early seasons how they looked originally. It would be great if on South Park Studios and Hulu, if you guys added the option to watch it how it originally aired, in SD. Idk if it might be complicated doing that on Hulu's platform, but I'm sure it could probably be done. And, I'm not hating on the newer style or newer seasons at all. I love them. But, personally, when I watch the early seasons, I'd prefer to watch them like how they looked when they aired. How I remember them. I also kinda feel that way about the censoring. Idk, the constant bleeps were almost iconic to early South Park. Right now, I think my only option is to buy seasons 1-11 on DVD. And, I might actually do that at some point, but idk. I'm sure there are a lot of other long time South Park fans out there who would love the option to watch those seasons in their original SD glory, with the constant bleeping. I get that objectively I should prefer the uncensored re-rendered version, but idk. Early South Park is legitimately an important part of the cultural history of that era, and I would love to have a convenient way to watch it as it originally aired. Just something to consider. I love the work you guys are doing, and always have. Keep it going, guys!
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Re: Standard Definition Early Seasons

Postby Big-Will » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:48 am

Those days aren't coming back, and the only ones interested in the original 4:3 aspect ratio are people like us who've seen the show since the beginning. If you look around the torrents on TPB (I downloaded every episode I could when downloads were everywhere and streaming didn't exist), you might still find early 4:3 renditions of the show. Or look in eBay for early DVDs and VHS tapes of the show.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version

Return to “Feedback”