Stan, Kyle, and Kenny. Odd style. (First FanArt!)

Post your own images of South Park, or whatever! Please keep posted images UNDER 30k!

Moderator: Big-Will

KylezGirl4Ever

Stan, Kyle, and Kenny. Odd style. (First FanArt!)

Postby KylezGirl4Ever » Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:05 am

This is my first FanArt so it won't be that good. One day I just got bored, it toook about 15-20 minutes to sketch in pencil. Please give me feedback. I'm not sure anybody will like the odd style. Click on the photo below to maximise it. :lol:

crazyQH

Postby crazyQH » Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:26 am

It's not bad, I just can seem to figure out what they are doing with their legs. :? It's pretty interesting though, definately different, and I like the way you did Kyle's hat.
iceiwynd

Postby iceiwynd » Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:42 am

All right, I'm going to go on a wave of concrit here (don't like it, don't read it):

- They look like girls. This is mostly likely due to their overly long hair (Stan's is styled like a girl's, Kyle's looks bad in general, and Kenny's is also styled like a girls), as well as the lips. Stan's blush, and Kyle's and Kenny's (I'm assuming) freckles don't help matters.

- People don't have heads like that. They just don't. Take away the hats and then look at it, those would be so freakishly long heads, and if you were to compare their lengths by their widths, incredibly narrows ones, too. And hats don't just randomly stay up there with nothing to support them, they would sag down if there was nothing directly underneath them... But most people don't wear hats like that anyway.

- Picking on the hair again. Stan's hair doesn't look much like hair at all. And besides, he's a boy. It should probably be messier, and much, muuuch shorter. Kyle's hair is just a bunch of even ovals, it doesn't look like hair either... and Kenny... well, I'm assuming that's his hair, but I'm honestly not completey sure.

- Stan's face structure is poor. Faces don't randomly dip into the chin like that, it's more even. Besides, he's male, that face structure is NOT that of a boy's. It should be a bit more square. Kyle's isn't all that bad (and you can't really see Kenny's, but that's okay).

- Their necks are rather long, and they don't have very good shoulders.

- The arms are way too long and flimsy. The positions are rather stiff. Could you do that and be comfortable? And don't even get me started on the hands.

- Stan's legs... what... what the hell? Look at that. Look at where they start between the left and the right one. It's way too far over. That's just scary. And it looks a lot like his leg is just connected directly to his ass and if he was standing up he wouldn't even have an ass. Also, due to the legs thing, he would have an extra bit of useless skin off on his right side. And on his right leg, where it bends, why are there two lines going in two different directs? That makes no sense.

- Kyle looks like he's wearing a box on his head. Don't go for 3-D in one area and then leave the rest 2-D. It just looks bad. His legs also suck, too. Same problem as with the arms. Flimsy and crappy looking.

- Kenny doesn't have a right shoulder. His left arm is also way, way too long. And look at the position with his feet. Could you do that? Would you like to do that? Would you be completely comfortable to hold that position?

- Kenny's neck is also poorly done. It goes in, and in, and then it suddenly pops out when it comes to the one shoulder and then when the arm is held up (at a point, what the hell?), and it makes no sense.

- Their noses aren't long enough. They should go a bit further down to about a decently spaced albeit close placing above the mouth.

- Wait... is that Kenny's ass poking out from his legs? Wow... that looks bad... almost girlish if he were to be standing up.

That was specificly related to that picture, Here are a few general tips:

- Boys have a more squarish structure. Girls are curvy. If you're drawing boys, use more straight and rigid lines.

- When it comes to positions, try it out for yourself. If you can't do it, chances are it's not a realistic position, so try something else.

- When doing a position, take a look at yourself in the mirror, and use it as a rough reference. Don't try to completely copy it, though, as chances are you'll screw it up. Don't go for full realism, just use it as a rough guideline.

- Limbs are not that flimsy. They have bones in them. Don't try to stretch reality to achieve a position, modify it for you.

That all being said... yeah... I hope this helps you in some way. XD; You do by no means completely suck, though. There are several anatomy tutorials out on the web (I know of a good one on deviantART, however, I lost the link), so try taking a look for some of those, too. I know they helped me out, so they could probably help you, too.

With a lot of practice and persistence you're sure to get pretty good, though! ^^ If you care enough, I'll even redline it for you.
KylezGirl4Ever

Postby KylezGirl4Ever » Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:02 am

Who said I was trying to do proportions? I wanted to try to do a different style than stretch, anime, or copy. Whatever, not everything works. Thanx for the good critisizm (AHEMAHEM*INSULT*AHEMAHEM). Whatever, next time I'll try harder. Thank you (seriously).
iceiwynd

Postby iceiwynd » Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:49 am

KylezGirl4Ever wrote:Who said I was trying to do proportions?

Typical response of somebody who did poorly on them, and is trying to cover this up by saying that it was intentional. I've pulled that one before. Fine, so you weren't trying to do proportions. However, I don't care what "odd style" you were trying to do, most styles that don't have decent proportions tend to look terrible. It doesn't matter what specific style you were trying to do it in, basic anatomy and something that actually looks good still apply.

KylezGirl4Ever wrote:I wanted to try to do a different style than stretch, anime, or copy.

There are variations between all of these styles. You can do your different style, that's all well and good, however, if something looks bad, it looks bad. Don't blame it all on the style you were trying to do it in. That's a cheap cop out. And if this was all due to the style, then the style is bad.

KylezGirl4Ever wrote:Thanx for the good critisizm (AHEMAHEM*INSULT*AHEMAHEM).

Don't even bother thanking me if it's going to be obvious sarcasm. Maybe I was insulting you, back the fact is that it's a bad piece.

I specifically stated at the beginning of my post that if you didn't like these kinds of comments, then don't read. You read it with the warning in place, so your bitchings and excuses are out of place. And if you never wanted anybody to say anything bad about it, you should've said in your first post, "Please, don't say anything bad about it and only give me mindless praise so I can feel really good about myself and never, ever improve!"
KylezGirl4Ever

Postby KylezGirl4Ever » Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:36 am

Who pooped in your Cheerios this morning?
iceiwynd

Postby iceiwynd » Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:47 am

Well, wasn't that wit-filled!

Get over yourself. And if you can't handle negative attention of any kind, then don't post anything.
Kelly MacCornmac

Postby Kelly MacCornmac » Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:54 am

I agree with Lior. The drawing just looks weird...way off of the South Park characters.
Causing havoc on the BBS one post at a time

Officially supports the de-perma of GTA, Mike, Cartman, and possibly others

SPU! Join it!
KennyStanWendyFan

Postby KennyStanWendyFan » Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:57 am

The world of art and literature is not a candy-filled world where everyone will praise everything you do. You have to be ready to take criticism. As a writer, I've found that my best reviewers are those who have critiqued my work rather than praised it to high heaven. (Granted, those who flame a work senselessly are no help either.) Sure, I'd like to think that I'm good at what I do, but if I can do better, I'd like to know how. The same is true in art. Be ready to take criticism. That's the only way you'll ever improve. Or, if you'd prefer, you can surround yourself with people who'll only give you praise and just make believe that you're a god of art. If you wish to live a lie, so be it. But if you want to really be good at something, you need to accept the fact that you're not infalliable and that you do have room for improvement. Embrace constructive criticism.
Kyle the Skeptic

Postby Kyle the Skeptic » Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:24 am

Here's my advice. Consider spending more than 20 minutes on it. No good piece of fanart, especially if it's your first ever, is going to result from only 20 minutes worth of effort. You need to be a little more patient and pay closer attention to detail. For example I notice that you did not use guidelines. Why not? I think your final result could have been improved immensely if you had.
Athena1999

Postby Athena1999 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:06 pm

You've probably drawn more girls than boys, haven't you? It doesn't mean anything except maybe girls are easier for you to draw. I understand; it was kind of hard getting boys' proportions right for me (especially a few years ago, when people said that my boys looked too much like girls.)

No one's singling you out; we all have something we need to work on. I have had trouble drawing hands for my entire life (see Tweek's awkward hands in my signature.)

I'd recommend using a model for those sitting positions; that's what I do for some of my drawings. And if you can't find one, just look in a full-length mirror and sketch yourself in that position. Limbs are difficult, I agree.

Otherwise, I like your interpretation of the characters and can tell you tried.
KylezGirl4Ever

Postby KylezGirl4Ever » Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:24 am

^True^
master ed

Postby master ed » Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:10 am

Please make your SIG smaller!!! It is very annoying, and would be appreciated. It is so f*cking big.
Now making SIGS, PM me for one, I will be reliable.

Return to “Fan Art”