Art of teh-lolrus

Post your own images of South Park, or whatever! Please keep posted images UNDER 30k!

Moderator: Big-Will

teh-lolrus

Art of teh-lolrus

Postby teh-lolrus » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:25 pm

I'll post all my fanart and art here, with comments and stuff. Critique and suggestions are appreciated. Since I fear that my comments may make the posts huge, I'll just post one or two pictures a post. Here goes-

Revenga

Media- Colored Pencil, Pen, Adobe Photoshop 7.0

Time spent working on it- Approximately 3 hours

Revenga was inspired by System of a Down's song of the same title. The lyrics on the top-right of the drawing was an excerpt of the song itself. I was originally going to have this as a pure traditional media piece, but it ended up being mainly digital after I started playing around with the color schemes on Photoshop. The coloring style breaks away from my normal style, I would like some feedback on that. I may eventually post the original traditional media picture when I finish the coloring on that.
._.
candies

Re: Art of teh-lolrus

Postby candies » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:42 pm

It's great, using colored pen, pen and the excessive Adobe Photoshop, good artwork.
Xandir: And the important we are together, Draw toge--(Gets hit by the head)

Mr.Garrison: You go to Hell, You go to Hell and you die!
teh-lolrus

Postby teh-lolrus » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:52 pm

candies wrote:It's great, using colored pen, pen and the excessive Adobe Photoshop, good artwork.

Thanks. I think I tried going for a more airbrushed look on the clothes, but I'm not sure if I pulled it off or failed miserably.

:|
._.
Blue Twilight

Postby Blue Twilight » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:39 pm

You know, I adore your style of art. This picture makes me want to just print it out and stick it on my wall, probably because the background makes it look all cool and earthy.

Plus she has a really cool pose. Unlike me, you can actually make poses look fluid and dynamic. :D

Oh yes, one more thing... you certainly have a way with textures! I like the coloured-pencil-on-photoshop-background style; it's very distinctive and unique.
Illegitimi non carborundum.
teh-lolrus

Postby teh-lolrus » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:48 pm

Blue Twilight wrote:You know, I adore your style of art. This picture makes me want to just print it out and stick it on my wall, probably because the background makes it look all cool and earthy.

Plus she has a really cool pose. Unlike me, you can actually make poses look fluid and dynamic. :D

Oh yes, one more thing... you certainly have a way with textures! I like the coloured-pencil-on-photoshop-background style; it's very distinctive and unique.

Aw, thanks. Truthfully, I kind of half-assed the background. I don't like figuring out backgrounds half the time, and it's time consuming. Most of it was pre-set brushework and filtering, to tell you the truth.

The mix was...haha, not intended. I had just finished with the skin, but work came to a standstill trying to figure out the colors. After all, it's kind of hard to change colors after you put down a base color with colored pencil and change your mind later.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll put more up soon; I'm working on some South Park fanart right now. New Year's I missed, so the next one's going to be for Valentine's Day. Maybe I'll do a New Year's pic just for fun when I get the whim to.

:oops:
._.
Blue Twilight

Postby Blue Twilight » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:36 am

^That would be cool. Holiday-themed pictures are always fun. I could imagine you and Angus teaming up to make those themed sig banners. They'd be a hit!

teh-lolrus wrote:The mix was...haha, not intended. I had just finished with the skin, but work came to a standstill trying to figure out the colors. After all, it's kind of hard to change colors after you put down a base color with colored pencil and change your mind later.

You see, that's why I don't really care for coloured pencils, or any sort of traditional media that's irreversible. Actually, I'd probably cheat with the computer to get the colour I want, but that's the advantage to doing digital art.

You're actually inspiring me to do SP fanart again. My old thread kind of... died, but the art on it wasn't any good so I don't care. :/ Plus all of the new SP stuff on my dA account is all related to an alternate-universe project a friend and I are writing, and I'm not sure if it would go down well here. XD
Kelly MacCornmac

Postby Kelly MacCornmac » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:43 am

I like the red glow around the person. The coloration was odd, but in a good way. I should work on photoshop more with my drawings too, but I'm too lazy to do it right now...I will also make a valentine thingy too...
Causing havoc on the BBS one post at a time

Officially supports the de-perma of GTA, Mike, Cartman, and possibly others

SPU! Join it!
teh-lolrus

Postby teh-lolrus » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:45 am

Blue Twilight wrote:^That would be cool. Holiday-themed pictures are always fun. I could imagine you and Angus teaming up to make those themed sig banners. They'd be a hit!

teh-lolrus wrote:The mix was...haha, not intended. I had just finished with the skin, but work came to a standstill trying to figure out the colors. After all, it's kind of hard to change colors after you put down a base color with colored pencil and change your mind later.

You see, that's why I don't really care for coloured pencils, or any sort of traditional media that's irreversible. Actually, I'd probably cheat with the computer to get the colour I want, but that's the advantage to doing digital art.

You're actually inspiring me to do SP fanart again. My old thread kind of... died, but the art on it wasn't any good so I don't care. :/ Plus all of the new SP stuff on my dA account is all related to an alternate-universe project a friend and I are writing, and I'm not sure if it would go down well here. XD

Ah, if only signature images worked. I'm sure we'd all have fun doing art trades or something.

Personally, I like digital art and traditional art equally. Digital art is somewhat more efficient if you know what you're doing (that's why Revenga took so long; it was a new coloring style that took some getting used to), but traditional art lets you get yourself down and dirty (which I find fun, until you get bright pink oil paint into a gray sweater).

:P

The more fanart, the merrier. I saw your old thread, and it rocks!

You know, I'm kind of into the psychadelic scene, it'd be cool to see the fanart you have over on your dA, too.

I want to do another fractal (I did one in Computer Graphics class), but I don't have the software (you can download it, but my computer's running out of memory and Photoshop runs slow enough already).

:|
._.
teh-lolrus

Postby teh-lolrus » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:46 am

Kelly MacCornmac wrote:I like the red glow around the person. The coloration was odd, but in a good way. I should work on photoshop more with my drawings too, but I'm too lazy to do it right now...I will also make a valentine thingy too...

Thanks. The red glow makes it less...human. It's the personification of revenge, so to speak, and revenge isn't a pretty thing on the inside.

Valentine's Day is gonna be fun... Maybe we should go around and convince everyone to chip into a 'holiday' fanart thread.

:lol:
._.
Kelly MacCornmac

Postby Kelly MacCornmac » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:51 am

teh-lolrus wrote:
Kelly MacCornmac wrote:I like the red glow around the person. The coloration was odd, but in a good way. I should work on photoshop more with my drawings too, but I'm too lazy to do it right now...I will also make a valentine thingy too...

Thanks. The red glow makes it less...human. It's the personification of revenge, so to speak, and revenge isn't a pretty thing on the inside.

Valentine's Day is gonna be fun... Maybe we should go around and convince everyone to chip into a 'holiday' fanart thread.

Yes that would be fun...I hope to make it more mix media than traditional...
Causing havoc on the BBS one post at a time

Officially supports the de-perma of GTA, Mike, Cartman, and possibly others

SPU! Join it!
teh-lolrus

Postby teh-lolrus » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:31 am

^ Sweet.

I'm wondering whether I should upload my digital self-portrait or not...
._.
Blue Twilight

Postby Blue Twilight » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:28 am

^Please do! I'd love to see it!

Digital realism is kind of fun. I've always wanted to try my hand at a realistic digital self-portrait. The only problem is it takes so long.

How long does it usually take you to do a piece of artwork?
AngusMcTavish

Postby AngusMcTavish » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:49 pm

Just got my first look at the new thread. That's really cool! The background leaves are a nice touch, the glow effect blends nicely...

...and dare I say you made her look cute, too! :lol:

Can't wait to see more!
teh-lolrus

Postby teh-lolrus » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:13 am

Blue Twilight wrote:^Please do! I'd love to see it!

Digital realism is kind of fun. I've always wanted to try my hand at a realistic digital self-portrait. The only problem is it takes so long.

How long does it usually take you to do a piece of artwork?

Hmm. Alright.

It's fun to do, yes, but you're right about it being time-consuming. The self-portrait I mentioned up there took about three school weeks, about 15 hours total including all the tweaking on the background. Heh. I actually fell behind the class for a week or two because I spent so much time on it (I finally caught up and got a week ahead before school let out for Winter Break, but that's a different story).

The time it takes me to do my art varies. If it's a serious project for Art or Computer Graphics class, it may take at least 8 hours total, including planning, sketching, and the works. I remember that my oil and acrylic paintings took several weeks each (the oil longer because of the slow drying time), but quick sketches and fanart may take only a few minutes to an hour or two.

AngusMcTavish wrote:Just got my first look at the new thread. That's really cool! The background leaves are a nice touch, the glow effect blends nicely...

...and dare I say you made her look cute, too! :lol:

Can't wait to see more!

Thanks. I honestly had no clue what to do for the background (I was going for a swamp look, but I'll stop here to prevent more rambling), so I just picked that brush and went along with it. That brush is rather a good standby for makeshift backgrounds; it's pretty useful.

...Cute? Mmm...okay.

Thanks anyways for the feedback.
._.
gtaca2005

Postby gtaca2005 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:43 am

Yes, it is really good. I wish I could draw proportionate bodies. :lol:
"It's not Jesus.... It's a portal monster." - SuperiourSavior

Return to “Fan Art”