BT's New, Improved Art Thread (updated 07/02/2008)

Post your own images of South Park, or whatever! Please keep posted images UNDER 30k!

Moderator: Big-Will

Blue Twilight

BT's New, Improved Art Thread (updated 07/02/2008)

Postby Blue Twilight » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:25 pm

Because the art on the old one wasn't that good, that's why.

Anyway, I'll be posting my artwork here, and please don't be afraid to critique my work! As long as it isn't trivial nitpicking like "Kyle is defensive of his heritage, not proud!" I encourage it. Like if you see something *really* off with the pose or anatomy or proportions, let me know. My artwork has a million plus one flaws in it, but I try. :P

I'll do what teh-lolrus and K-Mac are doing-- post both fan art and original work.

Also, you'll be seeing a lot of WoW-inspired AU artwork... my best friend and I are working on a comic based on "Make Love Not Warcraft," and it's pretty much taking over. XD Keep in mind, this is NOT actual WoW... it's an AU with some elements taken from the game, but other parts are strictly our own. (I'm only saying this because some diehard WoW fans gave us a hard time about it on dA.)

Anyway, I'm not going to bore you anymore with my novel post... let's get things rolling with some older art to browse through, shall we?

South Park Art
Pip on a swing- I did this last April, I think.
Tweek, Clyde, and a gnome- One from my other thread... I did this one last June, I think.
Stan and Rebecca/Red- Another one from last June, as requested by SJ.
Group shot- What my old sig looked like before the BBS ate the images on sigs. Warning: bad, rushed colouring. XD
Follow That Egg- A very unrefined sketch of Stan and Kyle giving the egg a bath. Done last November.

AU Art
Stan, Kyle, and Pip- From last June. Stan is a warrior, Kyle is an arcane fire mage, and Pip is a sorcerer (I know Pip didn't have a WoW character, but it was kind of fun to think one up for him.)
Full cast- Collab from last August with my best friend... she did the lineart, I coloured it. The URL's for our dA's are on that huge-ass watermark. XD
Another full cast- From last September... just something I did out of boredom, done in movie-poster style.
Kenny's one weakness- From last October. The one on the left is Kenny, the one on the right is the girl he's in love with.
Pip performing a spell- From last November. Um... yeah, long hair. And a really half-assed background. XD
Stan and his trainer- Also from last November. Stan is a warrior. He's eight years old here, and I think they just finished a day of training... or somethin'. (P.S. that trainer is not Randy! That's an OC! Randy is in the story, but I can't tell you where... Just to clear things up. :P)

Original/Other Fandoms (this is probably the one I'll be posting on most)
Dmitri- A gift for a friend, done last October. It's one of her OC's, and he's a vampire.
Jessica Rabbit- I did this last week, actually. It was a gift to that same friend for catching one of my dA pageviews.
Huge-ass Xmas Gifty- This took over a month to finish. If you look closely, you might be able to spot BBS'ers Jay C (sporting TTGL glasses and a Kyle hat at request :P ), CrazyQH, iceiwynd, Rebecca_Cutswald, ugogo_uswimswim, clenskiddlehopper, nutmeg218, Max, Schantrac, SJ, Cerisa, EPAF, and yours truly. This was greatly reduced in size; the full-size version is on my dA.

My dA: (which will probably be updated a hell of a lot more often than this thread)
http://athena1999.deviantart.com/

I will post more artwork... but this should be more than enough for now. I got a little art-happy here... I apologize, but it's been at least six months since I posted any art last! XD Um... try to enjoy. ^^
Last edited by Blue Twilight on Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Illegitimi non carborundum.
BRMBug

Re: BT's New, Improved Art Thread

Postby BRMBug » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:23 am

I've got the perfect caption for Follow That Egg; "Oh yes, you're going to make your daddies proud and make a nice big Denver omelet one day aren't you? Aw, yes you are! Yes you are!" *attempts a raspberry on the eggs tummy*

And then there's Stan and His Trainer; I love the coloring in the sky and clouds, and the detail in the background vegetation, and the grass on the edge of the cliff.
teh-lolrus

Postby teh-lolrus » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:02 pm

Wow. Just wow. Your coloring is phenominal, and the detail is simply amazing. I'm rather jealous of your work... The style is awesome, too. The only tiny complaint I have is that a few of the characters are a bit too elongated and skinny height-wise.

:oops:

I hope I didn't come off as a snobby bitch here...

I particularly like the Follow That Egg piece, Stan's hair bears a striking resemblance to my cousin's hair. The lighting effects are amazing in the Pip Casts A Spell one.

I could do with a few pointers on coloring and lighting effects...if you don't mind so very much...
._.
Kelly MacCornmac

Postby Kelly MacCornmac » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:29 am

Well...I think I've seen most of them already, and you seem to know how to color digitaly really good (still tring to get the hang of it)
Causing havoc on the BBS one post at a time

Officially supports the de-perma of GTA, Mike, Cartman, and possibly others

SPU! Join it!
wendy28

Postby wendy28 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:28 am

woah. amazing. cant really think of anything else to say, actually. so lets leave it at that. :wink:
favorite character: kyle!

Horrific, deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words!
AngusMcTavish

Postby AngusMcTavish » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:08 am

As always, you impress me. The style is beautiful, and the way the characters are portrayed is just really nice.

The only problem is that it's hard to pick a favorite.

The "Follow That Egg" bit is cute, and the "Xmas Gifty" is very impressive. It's obvious you spent many a day on that one. And as for the "Jessica Rabbit," it would be more than just Roger doing a wild take with her looking like that!

:lol:

Good to see your stuff again! Keep it up!
Blue Twilight

Postby Blue Twilight » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:19 am

To all of you: WOW!!! Thank you so much for all of the wonderful feedback! *hugs everyone* Your comments mean so much to me, each one of them. ^^

@Bug: Yes... I have a feeling they'd have done that. They love their egg just that much!

@teh-lolrus: Of course you didn't come off as a snobby bitch! I appreciate critique! And trust me, I know I have that problem with drawing people too elongated/skinny... but you should have seen how bad they looked two years ago. :lol:

Oh, and a bunch of people on dA are pressuring me into doing a tutorial... I'm working on it and will put it up in case anyone is interested. ^^

@K-mac: I think you're good at digital colouring, but your traditional work is phenomenal. It's kind of rare to see that kind of media used these days. ^^

@wendy28: Thank you so much! ;)

@Angus: I really did spend a lot of time on that... I'd say it took me about 40 hours total, but it would have taken me so much longer if I didn't have a tablet. I'm wondering if you use one for your artwork.

ANYWAY...........

A V-Day gift for my two best friends, one of whom is a member of this very BBS. I tried going for more of a pop-art-ish look here.
AngusMcTavish

Postby AngusMcTavish » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:56 am

How cool it is!

That's a different art technique, isn't it? Looks great!
Kelly MacCornmac

Postby Kelly MacCornmac » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:59 am

I like the fact it isn't the sterotypical red/pink valentine stuff...plus it's snowing hearts
Causing havoc on the BBS one post at a time

Officially supports the de-perma of GTA, Mike, Cartman, and possibly others

SPU! Join it!
Blue Twilight

Postby Blue Twilight » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:26 pm

Thank you so much, Angus and K-Mac! [gives them both hugs and celebratory orange mocha frappuccinos]

Now have another art dump! :D

WoW Pip again- The finished product of one of my speedpainting vids. This probably took a total of four hours.

Pip n' Damien [WARNING: possible slash implications]- Ten years after Damien left South Park, we have a lil meeting on a bridge for our favourite Brit and the son of Satan.

Faith + 1- A remake of the Faith + 1 album cover in which the boys are ten years older. Figured they'd want to get together again for a comeback tour in which they sing popular songs like "A Night With the Lord" and "Three Times My Saviour."

A random 1920's-inspired fashion picture- What the title says. XD

Kyle- Kyle, in Imaginationland for some reason, holding a Star of David necklace for some other reason. I dunno. XDDD

And, just for fun, have the Tweek from my speedpainting vid.
AngusMcTavish

Postby AngusMcTavish » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:23 am

Out of your newest entries, the Faith + 1 cover has to be the best! Ranks high on the Funny Factor.

But, maybe I'm a bit fuzzy on the meaning of "slash," as you give possible warning on the Pip/Damien pic. I always thought "slash" meant more like a horror genre, but it actually applies to more?

Sorry to say, as far as some of these 'Net terms go, I'm still learning.

And to answer your YouTube message: Yes, I am IJustWatchEm!

:o
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:37 am

They're all amazing. I really like the vintage fashion one.
superiorsavior

Postby superiorsavior » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:10 pm

Pip/Damien) How very naughty looking... they're so up to something in this picture, and I think I can guess what. Damien has a loooooooong neck in this but Pip's tiny scarf of a neck compensates.See what you mean in the video, you DO have fun with the backgrounds! What the heck is Pipkins hiding in that little letter of his? Nice and conspiritorial.

AU Pip) Very Jesus-like...Reminds me of when his hair was blown aside in the graveyard in 'Pip,' though his determined eyes make him look more like his war with Mrs. Haversham self. Again, fun with the background, makes him look SO pure even if he glares like Light of Death Note.

Faith+1) Read mah comment on DA :)

Proud) Different. Like the fassion and hair, good seductive pose but... but...Is she fanning her face with a peacock's ass? Hope it doesn't do a Terance and Phillip impression :P

Kyle) Is such an emo in this. Why does everyone draw our favourite Daywalker as either the most openly steryotypically Jewish guy outside of Aish (something I would say i'm glad you'd never do though the Hexagram in his hand pushes it farther than most of your pics) or a wrist slitting My Chemical Romance wannabee? No problem with the art though, it's just I'm getting sick of 'Emo Kyle.' Your depiction is pretty realistic one though, even if it lacks my beloved Urashanka.

Tweek) Tweeeeeeeeeeeeek! Well, I said most on this when I commented on the video but it has to be praised again. The background is amazingly realistic, i feel cold just looking at the thing. His nose is a bit long and his mout a bit miniscule, but the look of pure terror mingled with 'you're not getting my coffee flavoured underpants' determination on those mocha-brown eyes of his, really more than redeems it. Good work texturising, love how you did his hair, it's straiter than usual but at least obeys the laws of gravity unlike most Tweek-sketches. Great how the gnom is bathed in darkness and we can't see his face, brings out the EVIL we all know gnombs embody. His flowing cape is done well. Not sure about the eye-brows being on-top of the hair, nor the mutated hand, but... overall, i'd say I love this no matter how it looked, it has :tweek:
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

Death will take us so don't fight it. Become it and lean to win.
Pip Tweek

Postby Pip Tweek » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:44 am

I like your stuff; particularly the way you embellish the characters and give them expressiveness and character. Your skill in using color to provide depth and dimension is admirable too.

There's only one thing I would critique about your art; and please take this with a grain of salt as it's more of a stylistic preference than anything else: I see some anime influence in your faces and to me that detracts from the overall appeal of your work. That's just my opinion - and I'm nobody. All I'm saying is that I see a lot of good qualities in your work that are pleasant and appealing and then I see the anime influence and it sort of ruins it for me. Needless to say I dislike anime (could you tell?) :lol:
Blue Twilight

Postby Blue Twilight » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:33 am

superiorsavior wrote:AU Pip) Very Jesus-like..

Told you you compared him to Jesus :lol: Although Pip is *much* more flawed... and I don't think Jesus would have dabbled in dark magic (among other things Pip does), either (I'm spending serious time in Purgatory for that one :lol: )

superiorsavior wrote:Is she fanning her face with a peacock's ass? Hope it doesn't do a Terance and Phillip impression :P

Hahaha! I don't think the ASPCA would have approved of that fan!

superiorsavior wrote:Kyle) Is such an emo in this.

Because of the black and white stripes? "Emo" was certainly not what I intended for here. XD If I had drawn our Jewboy as an emo, I would have certainly given him emo/scene hair and a tight My Chemical Romance tee. Oh, and more eye makeup. :lol:

Pip Tweek wrote:I see some anime influence in your faces and to me that detracts from the overall appeal of your work.

Hey, it's alright! :) Everyone has their own opinion. I'm glad you said it was anime-influenced, though, because I absolutely hate it when people classify my style as "anime." (It is anime-influenced, I can admit that much. XD)

AngusMcTavish wrote:But, maybe I'm a bit fuzzy on the meaning of "slash," as you give possible warning on the Pip/Damien pic. I always thought "slash" meant more like a horror genre, but it actually applies to more?

Slash = same-sex relationship. To "slash" a character means to put them in a homosexual relationship with another. And I know that some people here are against slashing South Park characters with others, so I'm kind of iffy about what I post here.

Thank you so much for the feedback! [gives all four of you thank-you cookies]

Return to “Fan Art”