Things that PISS YOU OFF!!!

Check here for all the hottest topics!

Moderator: Big-Will

iceiwynd

Postby iceiwynd » Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:21 pm

It is not an abbreviation to type the letter R instead of the word "are" our "our," etc. Well, sure, techinically it is, but it's a damn stupid one. And since when does language evolve solely from abbreviations? e_e Try it evolves more with new phrases and words overtaking older ones. Like the new usage of the words "retarded" or "gay," or even further back, words like "stupid" or "dumb." Those words don't mean what they used to a few years back.

And yeah, it's fine, whatever, they're expressing themselves. And by using chat speak, they're expressing themselves to me as, "Hey, look! I'm a total retard! lol wuts typn proprly m 2 laz 2 do dat lul" They could be the smartest person in the world, but god damn, if they wanna type like that, then they are coming off as an idiot. And they shouldn't complain about that when people tell them that they are, because it's their own fault to begin with. They know damn well how the word is spelled, why not use its correct spelling? Typing two-three extra letters is too much for them?

That's not variation. That's just stupidity and laziness.
albino.black.sheep

Postby albino.black.sheep » Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:59 pm

I didn't say "solely" abbreviations (like you've never typed 'LOL'). I said differations too. But like it takes otters to ride ostriches, it's all about evolution. Words weren't just put here.

Yes it does look "stupid" when people type that sort of thing. However, you can't stop them, so unless you're planning to simply ignore everyone that types like that, you're just gonna have to get used to it.

I mean, look at who you're talking to... a person that puts in appropriate and correct spelling and grammar in text messages. I'm a stickler for it. I can't help it. It costs me more on my phone bill, but in the end it's worth it to me so I don't end up scrubbing three layers of skin off my hands.

Just think of it as a code you have to crack in order to communicate with the people who like to do it. Besides, it's just gonna take the same amount of time for them to abbreviate their words and you to decypher it as would for everyone to just type normally.
Last edited by albino.black.sheep on Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Email notifications do matter, people.
cedric-digsby

Postby cedric-digsby » Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:05 pm

Obviously I remain very stupid for being inquisitive about

iceiwynd wrote:Like the new usage of the words "retarded" or "gay," or even further back, words like "stupid" or "dumb." Those words don't mean what they used to a few years back.

Are you referring to the fact that stupid is derived from the Latin word stupidus meaning "amazed, confounded" - from the Latin verb stupere "be stunned, amazed, confounded"? I went to the Urban Slang Dictionary to find the "new meaning" of stupid but didn't find anything new, except for the dubious mention of boobs and dicks:

Stupid: gothic, or anything having to do with goths.
That goth had an IQ of 36.

Stupid: a woman with a very large breastages or a man with a very long submarine
Wow she is really stupid!!!
He is the stupidest person I've ever seen...this should be fun.

Stupid: someone who looks up stupid in an online dictionary

Stupid: to do something that shows a severe and crucial lack of common sense, like vote democrat.

Stupid: my ex girlfriend (Jayme)
My ex girlfriend (jayme) is a stupid hoe cause she thinks the beaches in Jamaica are way above sea level and the waves actually flow out toward the ocean due to that Jamaica being close to the equator. She also thinks dinosaurs never existed and its a huge conspiracy by scientists(the devil) to disprove the bible because the bible never mentions dinosaurs.

Stupid: Being highly intoxicated and/or acting wild and uninhibited.
We went to Cancun for spring break and just got STUPID.

Stupid: Can be used to amplify positive words, also can be used in conjuction with 'mad' or 'hella'
Dude, that hot dog was stupid good!

Language is always evolving, but I remain in the dark about stupid. Excuse my stupidity, but what's the new meaning of stupid?
CarlyFanny

Postby CarlyFanny » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:54 pm

There is know one meaning theres lots of diff meanings.

People change word meanings to the back ground, like were they live how they act and stuff, so theres loads and loads of different meaings for words and we might not even know all of them.
"O My God It's Sooooooooooooo Big" :P
ugogo_uswimswim

Postby ugogo_uswimswim » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:56 am

Hey, don't forget about stoopid!!! :D I think that's similar to the word phat...or something...
Art is what happens when you learn to DREAM!!! -Atlantis Squarepantis

The only good Slash is the one from Guns N' Roses.
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:24 am

People who drive 30 f*cking miles an hour in a 70 mph zone, and there's nothing wrong with their car, or them, and they do it for 10 miles. :evil: And it's always Blue-hairs in a 20 year old buick or pontiac.
Athena1999

Postby Athena1999 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:30 am

OK, time to change the subject.

I swear, if one more person in real life asks me what it's like to be a vegan, I'm going to smash something against something else. D:

Oh yeah.. and chemistry. Honestly, some things would just be easier if they strictly taught creationism. Because that way if you get some sort of science-related question you can answer "because God made it that way" and get full credit. :P (I don't actually endorse creationism, but still. XDDDDD)
albino.black.sheep

Postby albino.black.sheep » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:01 pm

Urgh. I hated science at school. Could never get the hang of chemistry or physics. Drove me insane. Biology, on the other hand, I ruled. Mainly because it was about sex and things to do with insulin and the pancreas, and so being a diabetic worked in my favour. For once.

I say I hated science, doesn't mean I endorse creationism either. That's just f*ckin' stupid. Evolution has pretty much been proven, with all it's evidence.

I think evolution gets filed under biology as well... *drifts off*
ugogo_uswimswim

Postby ugogo_uswimswim » Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:51 am

I somewhat enjoyed science I thought it was very interesting. I was just too lazy to really study like I should have

What really pisses me off was Spanish. (sorry Athena) I took three years of it and I was at a first year mentallity the whole time. And my Spanish teacher hated me. I can still hear the echos of her high pitched, hyeana voice..."COMO?"... GOD, she was the most annoying thing to walk this earth...
Art is what happens when you learn to DREAM!!! -Atlantis Squarepantis

The only good Slash is the one from Guns N' Roses.
albino.black.sheep

Postby albino.black.sheep » Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:08 pm

Languages and art were, and still are, my thing at school. I'm completely in love with language, I have no idea why, but I chose to take French, German and Spanish at high school. I love English too, but that was mandatory.
xWoodleDoodlex

Postby xWoodleDoodlex » Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:20 pm

Hum, sorry albino.back.sheep -
Languages (german cos i av dat at school)
Stupid nasty teachers
bugs n SPIDERS!!!!!
Trailing words
When things go wrong
slamming your teeth together making a noise
the song - Smack That
Cliffhangers
Pakkies
Hippies!
It's a man's obligation to stick his boneration in a women's separation; this sort of penetration will increase the population of the younger generation!

xWoodleDoodlex

Postby xWoodleDoodlex » Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:31 pm

iceiwynd wrote:It is not an abbreviation to type the letter R instead of the word "are" our "our," etc. Well, sure, techinically it is, but it's a damn stupid one. And since when does language evolve solely from abbreviations? e_e Try it evolves more with new phrases and words overtaking older ones. Like the new usage of the words "retarded" or "gay," or even further back, words like "stupid" or "dumb." Those words don't mean what they used to a few years back.

And yeah, it's fine, whatever, they're expressing themselves. And by using chat speak, they're expressing themselves to me as, "Hey, look! I'm a total retard! lol wuts typn proprly m 2 laz 2 do dat lul" They could be the smartest person in the world, but god damn, if they wanna type like that, then they are coming off as an idiot. And they shouldn't complain about that when people tell them that they are, because it's their own fault to begin with. They know damn well how the word is spelled, why not use its correct spelling? Typing two-three extra letters is too much for them?

That's not variation. That's just stupidity and laziness.

I talk lyk that n it doesnt mean im stupid. infact im getin no less thn c+ in school wich means im avrge. N yea, maybe it is lazyns cos nt evri1 cn typ as fast as you or summrt. Anothr thing that
pss me off are ppl that judge ppl jus cos ov wat dey rite lyk or wat dey luk lyk n stuf. if you get 2 no me, ud find in quite a nce girl, n im funny but nt wen ppl pss me off! So dont say owt if u cnt say owt nce! Ul not gt ani m8s.
It's a man's obligation to stick his boneration in a women's separation; this sort of penetration will increase the population of the younger generation!

albino.black.sheep

Postby albino.black.sheep » Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:42 pm

LMAO at xWoodleDoodlex's last post!!
StanismyMan

Postby StanismyMan » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:20 pm

I get really, really, really, really, really, really, REALLY annoyed by people who talk without the rest of the letters in one simple, little word. I don't really like the abbreviations people use. I get annoyed easily, but I try to deal with it. All of my friends call me a grammar freak because I tend to yell at them and tell them to use the actual words and puncuation and grammar. They only call me that because I take the time to write the word out, and I'm always correcting them when they say something wrong verbally or when they are typing something. You wouldn't type like that on a paper or essay, would you? What's the goddamn difference?!?

Another thing that really annoys me is when people spell "Cartman" "Cartmen".
Last edited by StanismyMan on Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Athena1999 wrote:Camels
albino.black.sheep

Postby albino.black.sheep » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:23 pm

StanismyMan wrote:Another thing that really annoys me is when people spell "Cartman" "Cartmen".

That's the plural of Cartman.

Return to “Hot Topics”