NBA, NFL who do u go for, etc anything about the sports

Check here for all the hottest topics!

Moderator: Big-Will

raidpirate52

Re: NBA, NFL who do u go for, etc anything about the sports

Postby raidpirate52 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:20 am

Uconn heading on to the finals and the Boston Bruins clinched the North East Division title. What a great day.
zzyzx 1

Postby zzyzx 1 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:30 am

Let's Go Halos!

159 games left to WIN!

AngusMcTavish

Postby AngusMcTavish » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:03 am

I'm still surprised how Seattle did against those pesky A's to start the season.

Though they lost big today, 7-1, that puts the M's at 2-1, and I don't think many people in Seattle would have expected taking two against Oakland the way they did...

Ichiro thus far: Five hits, 195 to go, in order to break the record and get his ELEVENTH 200-hit season!
raidpirate52

Postby raidpirate52 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:51 pm

Uconn wins! Uconn wins! Go Connecticut!
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:59 pm

Made it to my first Brewer game of the year today. They won 4-2 to win the series against Atlanta. The new scoreboard at Miller Park is very impressive. Looks like it's been there since it opened. The original setup looked cobbled together with a tiny replay monitor above and to the right of the actual scoreboard. Now it's all incorporated into one glorious display.

On the down side, while ticket prices remained stable, the price of beer went up another quarter. More than any other sports venue, paying stadium prices for beer at Miller Park is frustrating when the brewery is literally visible from the stadium. It brings into sharp focus the bold markup stadiums have for concessions for their captive audience.

You read it! You can't unread it!
raidpirate52

Postby raidpirate52 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:54 am

Sadly my Red Sox are off to a terrible start, but I see a few win streaks down the road.
AngusMcTavish

Postby AngusMcTavish » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:02 am

AngusMcTavish wrote:I'm still surprised how Seattle did against those pesky A's to start the season.

Though they lost big today, 7-1, that puts the M's at 2-1, and I don't think many people in Seattle would have expected taking two against Oakland the way they did...

Ichiro thus far: Five hits, 195 to go, in order to break the record and get his ELEVENTH 200-hit season!

And no sooner after posting this, the M's took a downward spiral, in more ways than anticipated by everyone in the Seattle area:

During the series in Texas, 2B Jack Wilson became more of a WON'Tson after committing two errors, then pulling himself out of the game.

Then there was the home opener, and what was supposed to be a game in tribute to their late announcer, Dave Niehaus, turned into a night of disgrace, being down as much as 12-0 before finally getting three runs themselves.

And then there's the infamous Milton Bradley. Known for being temperamentally unstable, he had some issues on Saturday and wasn't back for yesterday's game.

They have been swept by Texas (which I can understand) and Cleveland (WTF?!!) so far, and things do not look any better down the road.

Should have seen it coming. We have had two 100-loss seasons in the previous three years, and ownership doesn't seem to give a rip, as long as there's enough attendance to put more money into their already fat wallets.

Basically, while it's only nine games into the season (out of 162), a few of the players seem to have quit already!

I wonder what their Moose mascot would have to say about all this?
http://angusmctavish.deviantart.com/#/d3dm6h8
zzyzx 1

Postby zzyzx 1 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:36 pm

I'm an Angel Fan. I used to like the Dodgers, but over the past few years under the owners called the McCourts the stadium went downhill fast; a haven for gangs, and poor Giant fan and paramedic Bryan Stow got beat up on opening day and is suffering brain damage :( Poor Dodger Blue. So here is the latest on the Dodgers:

Major League Baseball Takes Over Operation of Los Angeles Dodgers:

Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig said Monday that he would
appoint someone to oversee all operations of the Los Angeles
Dodgers because of his "deep concerns" about the state of the
marquee franchise.

But two people with knowledge of the situation said that he
is also strongly considering forcing the sale of the team by
invoking his "bests interests of baseball" powers to wrest
the team from Frank McCourt, the owner since 2004, who he
believes has mismanaged the franchise while enriching
himself.

Selig said in a statement that he informed McCourt of his
decision, which he said was made to "protect the best
interests of the club, its great fans and all of Major League
Baseball."

Also, there is this New York Times article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/21/sport ... r=1&emc=na
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:36 pm

Woah, I hadn't heard about that yet. (No game today for the Brewers so I haven't paid attention to sports today.)

AngusMcTavish

Postby AngusMcTavish » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:10 am

zzyzx 1 wrote:I'm an Angel Fan. I used to like the Dodgers, but over the past few years under the owners called the McCourts the stadium went downhill fast; a haven for gangs, and poor Giant fan and paramedic Bryan Stow got beat up on opening day and is suffering brain damage :( Poor Dodger Blue. So here is the latest on the Dodgers:

Major League Baseball Takes Over Operation of Los Angeles Dodgers:

Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig said Monday that he would
appoint someone to oversee all operations of the Los Angeles
Dodgers because of his "deep concerns" about the state of the
marquee franchise.

But two people with knowledge of the situation said that he
is also strongly considering forcing the sale of the team by
invoking his "bests interests of baseball" powers to wrest
the team from Frank McCourt, the owner since 2004, who he
believes has mismanaged the franchise while enriching
himself.

Selig said in a statement that he informed McCourt of his
decision, which he said was made to "protect the best
interests of the club, its great fans and all of Major League
Baseball."

Also, there is this New York Times article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/21/sport ... r=1&emc=na

Hey, Bud! When you guys have the Dodger thing sorted out, how's about checking up on the owner situation here in Seattle?

I wouldn't mind keeping the team here, but these so-called "owners" have pretty much let the team slide, in a BIG way.

If it hadn't been for the issues that relocated our old basketball team, I wouldn't have so many...suspicions...
mo303564

Postby mo303564 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:24 am

Just stopping by to say how much I love the Celtics (yep, the Madison blowup happened tonight) :P

Also how much I love the Bruins right now as well, and to all the Montreal Canadian Fans....Well here's what you didn't want to see and it'll be played again and again...viral baby! :mrgreen:

http://youtu.be/Cr7KGy-EOjk
RTL: I love being a dick to people for no reason. It makes me feel better about how my mom smacks me around with a frozen T Bone steak.
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:47 pm

Yesterday a federal judge ordered the NFL owners to end the lockout. They're of course going to appeal and will request a stay of that order tomorrow.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81f7b5fe/article/judge-gives-league-a-day-to-refile-ruling-clarification-request?module=HP_headlines

I'm with the players on everything except removing the salary cap. The cap and revenue sharing are the two main factors in keeping the league competitive, therefore keeping it interesting, therefore keeping it highly profitable. It's been a highly successful arrangement, but the greedy owners are trying to f*ck with a winning formula.

I'm also against the idea of an 18 game season. That effectively zeroes out the record books for the last couple decades and that's f*cking lame. Plus it either pushes the season deeper into the dead of winter or earlier into summer. Football is the harbinger of the end of summer so starting football earlier is like making summer shorter.

bigirish777

Postby bigirish777 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:08 am

NFL - #1 Dallas Cowboys, #2 Denver Broncos, #3 Houston Texans

NHL - #1 Dallas Stars, #2 New York Rangers, #3 Philidalphia Flyers

MLB - #1 Texas Rangers, #2 Colorado Rockies, #3 Houston Astros

NBA - #1 Dallas Mavericks, #2 Boston Celtics, #3 New York Knicks

NCAA- #1 TCU Horned Frogs, #2 Texas Longhorns, #3 Texas A&M Aggies

Honorable mentions- New York Jets (NFL), San Antonio Spurs (NBA), Montana Grizzlies (NCAA), Michigan Wolverines (NCAA), Texas Tech Red Raiders (NCAA), Memphis Grizzlies (NBA)
zzyzx 1

Postby zzyzx 1 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:34 pm

Finally I think the Los Angeles Dodgers is on their way to becoming a more fan friendly, family friendly, and a more old-time baseball past time feeling:

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/sport ... 43389.html
AngusMcTavish

Postby AngusMcTavish » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:40 pm

What the hell is going on here?!

Another football player stabbed within a week after the first one:
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Denv ... ?GT1=39002

Return to “Hot Topics”