NBA, NFL who do u go for, etc anything about the sports

Check here for all the hottest topics!

Moderator: Big-Will

zzyzx 1

Re: NBA, NFL who do u go for, etc anything about the sports

Postby zzyzx 1 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:38 pm

*Double Double*

With Talks Deadlocked, N.B.A. Heads for a Shutdown

About two weeks after celebrating an electric championship series and a revitalizing season, the N.B.A. is shutting down — perhaps for a very long time.

Negotiators for the owners and the players union made a final attempt to broker a new labor deal Thursday afternoon, but they separated without an agreement and without much hope of bridging a gap of several billion dollars.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/01/sport ... r=1&emc=na
GeminiShamrock

Postby GeminiShamrock » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:47 pm

The looming NBA lockout is due to the following: The salaries of the big-name players (well, some of them) are truly outrageous. With twenty-two out of the thirty franchises LOSING money, my Rockets probably being one of them, it makes sense for the owners to try to reel the salaries in and push for a hard salary cap. Usually, I side with the players, but in this case, the owners have a legitimate gripe so I'm siding with them.
Texas born; Texas raised; Texas proud!
REVERSE THE POLARITY OF THE NEUTRON FLOW! (Proud Doctor Who fan.)
Proud member of the Tin Foil Hat Club.
Jeff Murdock "Mopie" (1986-2013) Rest in peace, Mopie.
AngusMcTavish

Postby AngusMcTavish » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:01 am

I made this on the eve of the basketball lockout:
http://angusmctavish.deviantart.com/#/d3klqpz

Thought it would be another good place to put it, being sports-related and all.
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:45 pm

Aww, Just get him a Whopper Jr., he'll be alright.
zzyzx 1

Postby zzyzx 1 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:47 pm

On Friday, I'm going to Anaheim to watch the Angel game :D

It's The Seattle Mariners vs. The Los Angeles Angels :D :D :D

I'll be there!

And next week, during the all-star festivities in Arizona, I was supposed to be there for a 5K run through the stadium, but due to my shoulder injury, I could not make it :(

Maybe next year in 2012 at Kauffman Stadium in Kansas City, Missouri, home of the Kansas City Royals :D
cynthia325

Postby cynthia325 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:18 pm

zzyzx 1 wrote:So now McCourt, owner of The Los Angeles Dodgers, has filed for bankruptcy in order to keep control of The Dodgers.

I won't go now to see any games or wear any Dodger apparel. They still haven't caught the guy who almost killed on opening day back in March, Brian Stow of the Bay Area. He was in Giants apparel (The Dodgers were playing the Giants of San Francisco), he was a paramedic and had a family. I'm boycotting The Dodgers until McCourt is out :x

You mentioned the Dodgers... funny story. I used to work in a retail store, and I was ringing up this woman's transaction. She was buying an LA Dodgers shirt. So to make small talk I said "You know I'm from NY and even though they're not NY anymore, I still cheer them on." She stared at me and said "Honey, I don' think you know what you're talking about. They are the LA Dogers. They're not from NY." I said "Um have you ever heard of the Brooklyn Dodgers?" She said "Honey listen, I am from Cali. And I know baseball. You don't know what you're talking about." I stared at her and said "Well if you know baseball you should know Jackie Robinson. He played for the Brooklyn Dogers...yeah..."

what an asshat. *facepalm*
AngusMcTavish

Postby AngusMcTavish » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:29 am

cynthia325 wrote:
zzyzx 1 wrote:So now McCourt, owner of The Los Angeles Dodgers, has filed for bankruptcy in order to keep control of The Dodgers.

I won't go now to see any games or wear any Dodger apparel. They still haven't caught the guy who almost killed on opening day back in March, Brian Stow of the Bay Area. He was in Giants apparel (The Dodgers were playing the Giants of San Francisco), he was a paramedic and had a family. I'm boycotting The Dodgers until McCourt is out :x

You mentioned the Dodgers... funny story. I used to work in a retail store, and I was ringing up this woman's transaction. She was buying an LA Dodgers shirt. So to make small talk I said "You know I'm from NY and even though they're not NY anymore, I still cheer them on." She stared at me and said "Honey, I don' think you know what you're talking about. They are the LA Dogers. They're not from NY." I said "Um have you ever heard of the Brooklyn Dodgers?" She said "Honey listen, I am from Cali. And I know baseball. You don't know what you're talking about." I stared at her and said "Well if you know baseball you should know Jackie Robinson. He played for the Brooklyn Dogers...yeah..."

what an asshat. *facepalm*

Shows how much some people know about baseball history, huh? Sheesh...

With all the hubbub about the NBA going on, there's been speculation lately about setting up a new arena in the Seattle area that could host a new team from the NBA and/or the NHL!

Now, we've had an NBA team before (Fxxk you, Clay Bennett!), but we've never had an NHL franchise, even though Seattle had the first US team to win the Stanley Cup!

(The Metropolitans of the PCHL did this in 1917, and when the NHL formed soon after, their first few years saw the league champs playing the PCHL champs for the Cup. That went on until 1927, when it was strictly NHL property.)

ANYWAY, it's all in the matter of who's willing to be moved themselves.
GeminiShamrock

Postby GeminiShamrock » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:24 pm

Report: Yao Ming will retire.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6749511

I hate to see 'em go, but since he hasn't been completely healthy in years, I think it might be for the best. Godspeed, Yao. Godspeed.
Player 1

Postby Player 1 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:34 pm

Up here in Canaderp we have the CFL. It's dumb for several reasons, including:

- 3 downs
- there were once 2 teams with the name "roughriders"
- you can get a point for kicking the ball past your opponent's end zone
-Ladoufius Coles
-jerseys have advertisements on them, peewee style
-talent pool is NOT deep
-media coverage is retarded

I normally follow NFL, but it looks like there's no season this year so DOODOOBALLS.
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:50 pm

Busy sports news day. Yao's done. Ohio State forfeits it's 2010 wins. And there was that fan that fell to his death in Arlington yesterday. That was a goddamn shame.

Looking forward to the MLB All Star Game with 3 Brewers starting (assuming Braun's healthy). Additionally, we got two horses in the Home Run Derby Monday night. Time for the rest of baseball to learn about Rickie Weeks.

You read it! You can't unread it!
shockey324

teams

Postby shockey324 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:20 am

NFL:New York Giants
NBA:LA Lakers and NY Knicks
MLB:New York Yankees
NHL:New York Rangers
COLLEGE FOOTBALL:the U (miami university)
COLLEGE BASKETBALL:Duke
COLLEGE BASEBALL:Texas Tech
OLIMPICS:USA!! USA!! USA!!
WORLD CUP:Brazil and USA
AngusMcTavish

Postby AngusMcTavish » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:36 am

zzyzx 1 wrote:On Friday, I'm going to Anaheim to watch the Angel game :D

It's The Seattle Mariners vs. The Los Angeles Angels :D :D :D

I'll be there!

And next week, during the all-star festivities in Arizona, I was supposed to be there for a 5K run through the stadium, but due to my shoulder injury, I could not make it :(

Maybe next year in 2012 at Kauffman Stadium in Kansas City, Missouri, home of the Kansas City Royals :D

Well, ZZ, I'll bet you got your money's worth during that game!
CHEEESYPUFFS13

Postby CHEEESYPUFFS13 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:50 am

NFL: giants chargers packers
NBA: lakers celtics bulls thunder
NHL: kings
MLB: dodgers yankees
:timmy: :timmy: :timmy: :santa: :parishilton: :assface: :assface: :assface: :gaykenny: :zombiekenny: :zombiekenny: :unhoodedkenny: :assface: :assface: :assface: :assface: :assface:
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:48 am

triplemultiplex wrote:...And there was that fan that fell to his death in Arlington yesterday. That was a goddamn shame.

Mnh. And it happened right in front of his kid too. Well, at least the fall did. He was still conscious as he was loaded into the ambulance. Then he went and had a heart attack on the way to the hospital. And he was a relatively healthy firefighter too, which makes that all the more odd. There were massive discussions of this on the radio today. I only caught bits and pieces though. You know, they used to have a net stretched across the area where he fell. It was removed because it was thought that people might try and crawl out onto it to retrieve balls. :roll:
GeminiShamrock

Postby GeminiShamrock » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:43 pm

BRMBug wrote:
triplemultiplex wrote:...And there was that fan that fell to his death in Arlington yesterday. That was a goddamn shame.

Mnh. And it happened right in front of his kid too. Well, at least the fall did. He was still conscious as he was loaded into the ambulance. Then he went and had a heart attack on the way to the hospital. And he was a relatively healthy firefighter too, which makes that all the more odd. There were massive discussions of this on the radio today. I only caught bits and pieces though. You know, they used to have a net stretched across the area where he fell. It was removed because it was thought that people might try and crawl out onto it to retrieve balls. :roll:

I probably shouldn't say this, but based on the last part you said, that's a sad case of irony. :(

Return to “Hot Topics”