The Thread That Must Not Be Named

Check here for all the hottest topics!

Moderator: Big-Will

nojo

Postby nojo » Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:50 am

JDG128 wrote:Don't you see you're ADDICTED to British comedy, you poor, sad child?

The subliminal messages in the pet-shop sketch made me do unspeakable things to budgies, for which I apologize.
nojo

Postby nojo » Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:18 am

JDG128 wrote:and ended at "note to big-will"

Now followed by "Another note to big-will".

Stay tuned for "A third note to big-will", followed by "quarter notes to big-will: the musical", which will be renamed "Big Willikers!" when it hits Broadway.
Kyle's_Marklar

Postby Kyle's_Marklar » Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:20 am

nojo wrote:
JDG128 wrote:and ended at "note to big-will"

Now followed by "Another note to big-will".

Stay tuned for "A third note to big-will", followed by "quarter notes to big-will: the musical", which will be renamed "Big Willikers!" when it hits Broadway.

:lol:
Remember... the more posts you have, the bigger your penis is!
ShaneHaughey

Postby ShaneHaughey » Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:31 am

And don't forgot the children's cartoon show, "NAFB and the Zionist Conspiracy!"
That's how it's down here on the farm!
Olivia42

Postby Olivia42 » Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:53 pm

As I said in the other sequel thread, I'm a bit sad at the passing of the thread. It was very funny, and I had a grand MSTing planned. It probably wouldn't have been that funny, as I'm not a very good writer, but it needed to be done. If I posted it now, it would no longer be timely.

But thanks, Nottie. Thanks for lightening up the board and temporarily uniting this ugly divide that has been so prevalent here, against you! And we'll never forget the laughs.

Edit: Too much Nattie Light last night made me make a Freudian Slip typo.
Last edited by Olivia42 on Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kyle the Skeptic

Postby Kyle the Skeptic » Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:11 pm

I didn't realize there was another thread already. Doesn't this guy have anything better to do with his time? His behavior fits the psychologial profile of the persistent stalker type / internet predator, the likes of which I have unfortunately dealt with in the past. There is a particular axiom, which I learned the hard way, that I think would be helpful here: DNFTT! People like this thrive off the escalation of conflict. If you allow yourself to become angry with them you will have acknowledged them and made them a part of your life, whether you meant to or not. Just ignore him; it'll most likely get worse before it gets better, but without constant feedback there is no incentive for him to continue and he will eventually die off.

Regarding the right to free speech, one's right to free speech is limited by when it infringes on the rights of other people to free speech. A message board is technically not public property, it is the property of whomever pays for and maintains it. The owners of a board therefore have every right to run it as they see fit. Most sites have a balance between 'everything goes' and 'strictly enforced'.

The fact of the matter is that there are plenty of sites for discussing crackpot conspiracy theories. There are also webhosts that provide free hosting if people want to start a site of their own. This IS the internet after all; if anyone on BBS wanted to visit such a site there is nothing stopping them.
nojo

Postby nojo » Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:49 pm

Kyle the Skeptic wrote:People like this thrive off the escalation of conflict.

"Agent provocateur", defined. For further examples, see the anti-cartoon imams.

But while I'll grant you the general point, in this case many of us also enjoyed participating in the argument. Personally, I find that it helps clarify my own views -- to get more detailed in the face of objection. Of course, I'm also the kind of guy who enjoys seminars as blood sport.

That said, what I really enjoyed about the thread (and sequels...) is the sheer absurdity of the guy. Not the standard-issue conspiracy-and-denial stuff -- geez, that gets old fast -- but truly off-the-wall gems like subliminal messages in South Park, and (as I write) comedy as a rational enterprise.

Hmmm...

This goes on much longer, I'm going to have to hunt down that Sherwood Anderson line about grotesques.
Kyle the Skeptic

Postby Kyle the Skeptic » Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:03 pm

I know. Believe me one of my favorite activities is troll-hunting MST style, since I have a low tolerance for idiocy. However sometimes it gets to the point where the best thing to do is ignore people like this. A debate is a 2-way exchange of ideas. When a person is more interested in spouting off than carrying on a discussion, it is no longer a debate. Notice how nafb labeled anyone who did not nod along and agree a "bigot", yet he whined and complained when Will asked him to cool it.

It might be for his own good if the admins send him on his way. With no exposure to the conflict he started he'll have no choice but to find better things to do with himself.
nojo

Postby nojo » Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:19 pm

Kyle the Skeptic wrote:Notice how nafb labeled anyone who did not nod along and agree a "bigot"

There he was throwing our own word back at us, trying to demonstrate our hypocrisy -- he does have a sense of rhetoric, if not humor.

It might be for his own good if the admins send him on his way.

I think I'm ready to agree. Somewhere during Day 2 of the siege, I strongly objected to locking-and-banning -- "free speech" itself being such a hot topic around here. But strategically, Naffy blew it by self-righteously mocking the mods, who were quite happy to let him continue ranting in a labeled "conspiracy" thread. If he gets banned for misbehavior, I have no objections.
czarovous

Postby czarovous » Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:22 pm

I wish I was on when the little fight broke out. He probably mentioned it somewhere, but I don't want to go through all those posts. What does a guy like that do for a living? Me. I love South Park, what do I do? I'm studying to be a physical chemist focusing on alternative energy sources. After spending 6 hours a day in a lab and another 6 or 7 studying South Park lets me relax a little, but it keeps my mind active. It is something I can relate to. I generally don't have time to waste on mindless TV shows like all those crime dramas that have thier science all wrong. South Park doesn't pretend to be real but it makes you think. And yes perhaps I'm a bit of an unusual person. I work hard and I get very stressed out, but I don't criticize people for thier own vices. I love to argue though. I think I would have liked to argue with him.
nojo

Postby nojo » Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:35 pm

czarovous wrote:What does a guy like that do for a living?

I don't think we ever found out, except that he resented subsidizing us brainwashed freeloaders with his hard-earned income.

I'm studying to be a physical chemist focusing on alternative energy sources.

One of the things I like about this board is the "big tent": SP draws fans of all ages and interests, and we can get as sublimely goofy or fart-sniffing erudite here as it pleases us. It's not all tard-calling...
Kyle the Skeptic

Postby Kyle the Skeptic » Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:54 am

I stand by what I said before: DNFTT. Personally I prefer to stand back and laugh at the monkey when things get to this point. It's a clear sign of hubris when a person thinks he can read the minds and speak on behalf of people he has never met in his life; the same hubris he accuses everyone else of having.

Seriously if you want to watch him squirm, just hold off on the "Submit" button. Let him run his mouth and make an ass of himself. Eventually he'll shoot his own foot off. Without the constant attention you give him, he has no reason to be here.
Cartman_91

Postby Cartman_91 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:57 am

If This Thread Should Not Be Named Why Did you Name It The Thread That Should Not Be Named Wouldnt It have Made More Sense To Not Name It Anythign At All :wink:
JDG128

Postby JDG128 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:51 am

Cartman_91 wrote:If This Thread Should Not Be Named Why Did you Name It The Thread That Should Not Be Named Wouldnt It have Made More Sense To Not Name It Anythign At All :wink:

No, because the title is referring to ANOTHER thread, not this one itself.
nojo

Postby nojo » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:54 am

Welcome to Monday Night Afters! Your West Coast host will be leaving in a hour to indulge his true addiction -- "24".

Return to “Hot Topics”