[Storytime] Tales from the BBS Crypt

Check here for all the hottest topics!

Moderator: Big-Will

Nommel

Postby Nommel » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:11 pm

Taranis_Music wrote:A few pages back Mr. Hat said that it was KB. Hmm, I guess he was mistaken.

Well he made a pretty big deal about me being JW, so I dunno. How far back did you look?

Well anyway JW was me. I don't use the account anymore though, I deactivated it months ago.

KB only had 3 names, as far as we know.
Taranis_Music

Postby Taranis_Music » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:14 pm

It was about Page 42. And is your IP address just your computer or all throughout your zip code. Or is it something different?
Nommel

Postby Nommel » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:17 pm

Taranis_Music wrote:It was about Page 42. And is your IP address just your computer or all throughout your zip code. Or is it something different?

IP addresses are just your computer, as far as I know. It is possible to change them, though.
Mr. Hat_DX27

Postby Mr. Hat_DX27 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:49 pm

An IP address, which can also be referred to as a net block, is basically a series of numbers that lets other computers communicate with yours. Think of it as a street address, only instead of a number followed by a street name, it’s a set of four numbers, each separated with a “.”, ranging from 0 to 255. However, it can change, especially if they’re dynamic, where the ISP connects to the first available IP net block that it finds within its range. IP addresses can have domain names attached to them, which are the things you enter into your browser. Domain names are just shortcuts to an IP address, making it much easier to remember, especially if the IP constantly changes. It’s weird to explain. This makes banning hard, unless you are able to find and ban their subnet mask. You can’t ban a domain though, you need to ban the actual IP. It’s also possible to use something called a “wildcard” which can ban a range of addresses, however, this is to be used as a last desperate option, for banning too wide a range could end up in banning a whole ISP from the site, which you don’t normally want to do.

And SJ the reason why people were pissed at you for making a new name was because A: you said you were leaving forever, and B: you basically asked nall if you could disregard the “no-multiple-name” rule. You were pretty much following KB’s footsteps and lying to everyone about your other identity. Not only did it prove you were somewhat of a copycat, but also proved that you were quite the hypocrite.
If you want me to do a signature for you, PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!
Tweeks_Coffee

Postby Tweeks_Coffee » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:26 am

Nommel wrote:
Taranis_Music wrote:A few pages back Mr. Hat said that it was KB. Hmm, I guess he was mistaken.

Well he made a pretty big deal about me being JW, so I dunno. How far back did you look?

Well anyway JW was me. I don't use the account anymore though, I deactivated it months ago.

Months!? Dude, you've only been around since January. Quit acting like you've been here forever. Plus, that was number two in your list of names.
ShaneHaughey

Postby ShaneHaughey » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:57 am

@SM109- Yes, I saw it. It was the first episode I've seen in a while, even the first television program.
@Athena- Or you could remember my staunch defense of Stan at all points and avenues upon which his foes appeared. They assailed his position only to meet the zeal and skill of his Best.
@Mr. Hat- Yes, the beauty of victory and the bitter taste of defeat can still be felt upon my leathery skin.
@TC- I'll never leave for good. I might not have a computer nor internet access, but my spirit shall haunt these non-hallowed cyber halls for as long as this BBS lingers.
@SJ- 47.
That's how it's down here on the farm!
Jay C

Postby Jay C » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:04 am

Everyone, hide the animals!

... hey Shane. :P
Read my horrible webcomic you fat assh*le!
Mr. Hat_DX27

Postby Mr. Hat_DX27 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:29 pm

Tweeks_Coffee wrote:
Nommel wrote:

Months!? Dude, you've only been around since January. Quit acting like you've been here forever. Plus, that was number two in your list of names.

Plus, SJ’s tattle tailing was what triggered KB’s ban.
Stanley_Marsh109

Postby Stanley_Marsh109 » Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:32 am

Excuse me, but who were KB and SJ?
I'm only happy when I'm in my misery...

Thanks to Mr. Hat_DX27 for the sig!
Athena1999

Postby Athena1999 » Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:03 am

^*is going to get yelled at because she's only been here since February*

KyleBenoit and Stovepipe_Jam, the latter of whom is Nommel right now. Anyway, KB used multiple accounts to troll herself, but none of the BBSers knew they were her. One day, SJ got so fed up with one of her personalities that he reported it to the mods, who discovered they had the same IP address and banned KB.

I was at college orientation at the time and was shocked to find KB banned when I returned. You miss a little, you miss a lot.
Stanley_Marsh109

Postby Stanley_Marsh109 » Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:51 pm

Meh. I miss a lot, I usually don't give it much more than a second thought.
I'm only happy when I'm in my misery...

Thanks to Mr. Hat_DX27 for the sig!
Mr. Hat_DX27

Postby Mr. Hat_DX27 » Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:00 pm

Stanley_Marsh109 wrote:Meh. I miss a lot, I usually don't give it much more than a second thought.

Don’t worry, I wind up out of the loop sometimes on this thing. All I gotta do is blink and BOOM something happened and I don’t know what was with it. :P
kacy__sp

Postby kacy__sp » Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:53 am

Athena1999 wrote:^*is going to get yelled at because she's only been here since February*

KyleBenoit and Stovepipe_Jam, the latter of whom is Nommel right now. Anyway, KB used multiple accounts to troll herself, but none of the BBSers knew they were her. One day, SJ got so fed up with one of her personalities that he reported it to the mods, who discovered they had the same IP address and banned KB.

I was at college orientation at the time and was shocked to find KB banned when I returned. You miss a little, you miss a lot.

woah, KyleBenoit was banned for trolling?! when did this happen? she's seemed so nice..
ImageImageImage
Nommel

Postby Nommel » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:02 pm

Mr. Hat_DX27 wrote:Plus, SJ’s tattle tailing was what triggered KB’s ban.

Big-Will wrote:1. Rancher Bob flamed KyleBenoit
2. SJ told him he was going to be banned.
3. I checked Rancher Bob's IP address, and then checked out who else was posting at that address.
4. KyleBenoit was the only other person posting at that address.
5. SJ freaked out and asked us to check again. We did. Same result.
6. He was talking to KyleBenoit on MSN at that point and confronted her with our findings.
7. She broke down and admitted that she was indeed Rancher Bob, and a few other nicks before that. She was trolling and flaming herself.
8. We banned Rancher Bob, and since they had the same IP, we banned her too. We hate to see this kind of thing happen and wonder why people do it.

Doesn't look like I was tattle tailing. In fact I just wanted to make RB leave Nikki alone, which you know, Hat. I'd appreciate it if you'd stop doing everything you can to make me look bad. It's immature and retarded, which you keep saying are bad things.

Also, I talked to KB recently. She's okay, but she's been having net troubles. That's all.

Mr. Hat_DX27 wrote:And SJ the reason why people were pissed at you for making a new name was because A: you said you were leaving forever, and B: you basically asked nall if you could disregard the “no-multiple-name” rule. You were pretty much following KB’s footsteps and lying to everyone about your other identity. Not only did it prove you were somewhat of a copycat, but also proved that you were quite the hypocrite.

The person who flamed the f*ck out of me for destroying the first TBS and then hacked the place a few months later is calling me a hypocrite. Niiiiice.

Seriously, I knew I'd just get more flames if I told everyone who I was, so that was me being a bit less than stupidl. I didn't exactly use it to flame myself either, did I? There's a difference, realize it.

Also, I'm sick of people treating me like I'm scum. I'm staying out of trouble, and I haven't done anything to piss anyone off as far as I know (Aside from retards anyway), so maybe you could realize that and stop flaming me every chance you get?

I've done bad things, but so has everyone else here. I don't care if you hate or love me, but grow up and at least be mature about it. Put me on ignore if you're sick of me.

Just please (You especially Hat) stop with the immature rumor making and flaming. I didn't get KB banned, and you f*cking know it. I don't mind you saying sh*t about things I've actually done, but I didn't do that. So stop blaming me for it.
Mr. Hat_DX27

Postby Mr. Hat_DX27 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:30 pm

Nommel wrote:The person who flamed the f*ck out of me for destroying the first TBS and then hacked the place a few months later is calling me a hypocrite. Niiiiice.

Seriously, I knew I'd just get more flames if I told everyone who I was, so that was me being a bit less than stupidl. I didn't exactly use it to flame myself either, did I? There's a difference, realize it.

Also, I'm sick of people treating me like I'm scum. I'm staying out of trouble, and I haven't done anything to piss anyone off as far as I know (Aside from retards anyway), so maybe you could realize that and stop flaming me every chance you get?

I've done bad things, but so has everyone else here. I don't care if you hate or love me, but grow up and at least be mature about it. Put me on ignore if you're sick of me.

Just please (You especially Hat) stop with the immature rumor making and flaming. I didn't get KB banned, and you f*cking know it. I don't mind you saying sh*t about things I've actually done, but I didn't do that. So stop blaming me for it.

Some little sidenotes: I only did what I did at kanich’s site because that was AFTER he became a power hungry tard. And it’s not really hacking if the person gave you the site password long ago and never changed it. If he didn’t become a people-flaming fascist bastard, I wouldn’t have done it. And the reason I flamed the f*ck out of you was because your destroying of the first version of the forum was part of your potential-mod power trip.

And yes, I know there’s a difference between making a new name to just post and then making a new name to flame yourself with. But the point of both concepts are the same: it has no point. Your screen name defines you as an individual in an online community. I admit I’ve had my fair share of names over the years, but I try to keep a name I use on a site static. Not only does it add false numbers to the member count, but it’s also just plain confusing. The only time I’d actually change my official screen name on a site is if I’ve lost my password (which has happened to me in the past :P)

One of the rules said that you’re not supposed to make multiple names. Just cause you’re not flaming yourself doesn’t mean it should be a bendable rule (but then again, not many rules on this site seem to be well enforced, so who am I to judge :P) I just think it would have been better if you could have just gotten nall to change the name in your profile, rather than you having to make a completely different account for your Nommal identity, I donno.

And ok, I understand how the KB ban thing wasn’t entirely your fault (even though I remember on MSN you once said that it was). You were a big part of it, but I guess you didn’t really know better (that meaning you didn’t know who it was). Maybe I did kinda overreact to that, the whole thing kinda pissed me off because back then I haven’t really fully forgiven your for past actions, and the fact that you were at least involved in the whole banning thing sorta set me off, mainly because you were pretty much an enemy and KB was a close friend (even though I just know her online).

Return to “Hot Topics”