S23E09: "Basic Cable" postshow discussion

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

JamesPolo

Postby JamesPolo » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:57 am

The Scott Malkinson episode was alright.

I think it was an ‘I Spy’ sponsored intro theme for the episode or ‘James Bond’ or ‘Pink Panther’.

Sophie Gray seemed pretty cool. I kind of think of Jean Gray from X-Men as the name inspiration as with Scott as Cyclopes. Sophie is like the 10th new girl to the school while the boys have been in the 4th grade so I think that plot strategy is getting old. I still liked her, she has diabetes like Scott and he instantly felt a connection with her and thought the two of them should be together like some sort of Disney movie. She likes soccer and of course The Mandalorian on Disney Plus. I didn’t think I would ever buy a streaming service for myself, but I kept hearing such wonderful thinks about The Mandalorian and how it was like a Clint Eastwood movie. I watched the first two episodes during Thanksgiving and loved it and so when I got home, I bought it and watched the third. I know I would think Sophie was cool too.

Scott’s dad as a cable guy was not the funniest but it was ok filler. The show had done cable guy jokes, so they were okay, but plots repeated too much like them being late and having such a large window to show up. They probably do just f*ck around the whole day and sh*t and not work and just show up last minute. All there butt cracks were a good joke, but we have seen that done a million times.

Scott’s dad and mother sure eat junk food like chips and soda and Oreos. I don’t know and I think it is unproven how diabetes 1 is contracted but the show kind of pointed to a parent’s diet as the cause of diabetes type one. I know type two is from eating lots of sugar that’s refined. I think I learned a lot about diabetes type one. I knew a guy named Hutch or something from Stones Gambling Hall and he had diabetes type one. He works somewhere else now though.

I liked all the nostalgia with the Queef Sisters and crab people and pc babies and the like tv shows. It was real fun to see the Queef Sisters again and queefing. The crab people also were nice. The Black Whites tv show looked great, I can see that one being a new episode this season or the next. I would want to see the neighborly antics between the rich Black family and the middle-class White family. Looks like the adopted Latino children are both gone now.

Nathan was a treat to see this season. It makes sense that he would be the streaming service illegal dealer as he sold steroids to Jimmy. When he took insulin as the payment and shot himself up and almost died that was funny as hell. I thought he shot himself up with air, as that will kill you. I think a normal person taking insulin will kill you too. Nathan liked the stuff though. Wonder if some fool will copy that and die that we will hear or read about in the news?

HBO Max was mentioned and Big-Will said South Park Studios will be provided and sponsored by them soon. Not sure how that will go but I always liked HBO with great movies and boxing.

I felt embarrassment for poor Scott when he ate that pie to get a sugar high and acted like Wolverine to fight the other boys over Sophie. I can understand how he must have felt seeing how everyone bullied him and put him down for being diabetic but now that a girl had the same problem, everyone liked and treated her well. That would sure piss off anyone.

Makes sense Sophie didn’t want to date yet or at all but it was nice to see her want to be friends with Scott.

I liked the episode, but some jokes were to basic and played out and used up bits and routines.

I’ll give her a 7.5.
He was a wise man who invented beer. -Plato
https://www.machiavelliannews.com/
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:55 am

How was it?

Did Scott keep the girl?
Season finale next week!
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
kfgg

Re: S23E09: "Basic Cable" preshow discussion

Postby kfgg » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:55 am

That phone number has been around awhile. Used to get Twong Lu-Kim when you called.

Didn’t expect to hear “Marry Me” by Jason Derulo. That song kinda flopped.

One more next week.
JamesPolo

Postby JamesPolo » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:15 am

kfgg wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:55 am
That phone number has been around awhile. Used to get Twong Lu-Kim when you called.

Didn’t expect to hear “Marry Me” by Jason Derulo. That song kinda flopped.

One more next week.
When I called 719-838-4002 it was Trey Parker doing a voicemail and saying if you want streaming rights to various shows press a number and then you would get an estimate for the streaming service. The various shows were The Scott Malkinson Show, PC Babies, Its One For The Ladies, Tegrity Farms, Queef Sisters, Santa.
He was a wise man who invented beer. -Plato
https://www.machiavelliannews.com/
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:52 am

Best episode of the season! Sophie kept it real. :)
JamesPolo wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:57 am
Scott’s dad and mother sure eat junk food like chips and soda and Oreos. I don’t know and I think it is unproven how diabetes 1 is contracted but the show kind of pointed to a parent’s diet as the cause of diabetes type one. I know type two is from eating lots of sugar that’s refined. I think I learned a lot about diabetes type one. I knew a guy named Hutch or something from Stones Gambling Hall and he had diabetes type one. He works somewhere else now though.
Diabetes Type I, which Scott has, is something you're born with. Your pancreas isn't fully functional from the get-go - it doesn't produce all the insulin needed to process sugar, so you have to take insulin to compensate for it. There might be a genetic component to that. Being fat doesn't have anything to do with it. Notice that Scott's parents, Sheila, Cartman, and other fat people on the show don't seem to be diabetic, while Kyle was once diabetic. That was once canon on the show, but no one ever talks about it now.

Diabetes Type II is something you get through insulin resistance. It's a metabolic disorder that causes your pancreas to produce extra insulin to break down what your body's cells aren't processing. You need oral medications to help the insulin process the sugar and lower insulin resistance. It used to be it would strike you when you got to your 30's (so it was adult-onset), but all the excess salt and sugar in processed foods in kids' meals and lack of physical activity means even teenagers are getting Type II.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
JamTheDude

Re: S23E09: "Basic Cable" postshow discussion

Postby JamTheDude » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:08 pm

The episode was really cool but like story-wise I think this episode tells us that season 23 was about south park spinoffs and that's a cool idea since you get to see more about side characters in these one-off episodes
BringBackChef

Postby BringBackChef » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:56 pm

So glad they have pumped the brakes on Randy Marsh and focused on other characters of the show. It has paid off very well in the past few episodes. Excited to see what they do for the season finale next week!!
2Sheds_Jackson

Postby 2Sheds_Jackson » Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:11 pm

I really enjoyed this episode. No hot button politics, no serialized story that has them dragging the disfigured remains of less-than-great old shows behind them - just a typical character-driven A story with a goofy B story. It was funny, and best of all, nobody tried to teach me a lesson about anything. I laughed the loudest after calling the phone number and hearing the price they wanted for streaming rights for the Scott Malkinson Show vs The Queef Sisters. Very Funny.
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:55 am

Pretty decent. I loved Scott's parents mocking him exactly like Fatass does. His dad does sort of strike me as a thinner, adult Cartman.

I'd say it's the catchiest of all the alternate opening titles; The Scott Malkinson Show.

I was going to complain that they never did fix the internet before the end of the show, but that last joke with cable guys over the end title card is why. Another call-back to the running gag about the cable guy never getting there when they say they are. It's a cliche, but it still made me laugh that they're even late for their own shenanigans.

You read it! You can't unread it!
Itsjohnidk

Postby Itsjohnidk » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:00 pm

This episode was great, but the ending was kind of lame with the diabetes rage. He could of at least killed Kenny or something.
Wapina

Postby Wapina » Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:09 pm

JamTheDude wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:08 pm
The episode was really cool but like story-wise I think this episode tells us that season 23 was about south park spinoffs and that's a cool health blog with fitness idea since you get to see more about side characters in these one-off episodes
I totally agree with you and in fact I think its really nice to have a closer look on the side characters as it is lot more interesting. All the episodes are so fun till now.

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”