*913: Free Willzyx*

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

Aym_Dand

Postby Aym_Dand » Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:01 pm

airmancoop44 wrote:Only problem is that I have no idea what the point of the episode is. It seemed flat or something. If someone could explain, that would be great.

I doubt this was the conscious theme of the episode, but it reminded me of a great bit of insightful dialogue from The West Wing.

President Josiah Bartlet: Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world. Do you know why?

Will Bailey: Because it's the only thing that ever has.

That seems to be a theme in many of their episodes.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nSD-Tk0Z3zI

http://www.gonefiction.com
powderdonutpancakesurpris

Postby powderdonutpancakesurpris » Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:41 pm

...this could be one of the worst episodes yet, how come you're all so gung-ho about it? :?

it just simply...wasn't very funny. And I am known to have very low standards for humour, lemme tell you. But I only laughed out loud like...twice the whole time.

But meh, that's just me. At least you all enjoyed it ;)
yeah that's right
leal

Postby leal » Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:15 pm

There's one thing I don't understand... How did the announcers hear what Kyle said when he was talking to the whale?
TorgoButters

Postby TorgoButters » Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:25 pm

this episode really was not that funny because there really was not a point to the show. I thought that the episode was going to have some big twist at the end like Willyzx actually talking to Kyle at the end of the episode; however, there were like in most episodes some highlights that I enjoyed, my favorite part was at the end of show with the dead Whale on the moon, it was just so F'ed up and creul I was laughing. All in all it definetly was the worst of the season but still better than the new Simpsons episodes, I mean did anyone here see this years' Halloween show. It was so G-- D--- stupid it was unbelievable.
I hear it amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm with the tuning fork does a raw blink off hari-kari rock,I need scissors,61,last night I saw a strange glowing object in the sky, KUWABARA KUWABURA!.
SPF4L#1

Postby SPF4L#1 » Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:39 pm

TorgoButters wrote:this episode really was not that funny because there really was not a point to the show. I thought that the episode was going to have some big twist at the end like Willyzx actually talking to Kyle at the end of the episode; however, there were like in most episodes some highlights that I enjoyed, my favorite part was at the end of show with the dead Whale on the moon, it was just so F'ed up and creul I was laughing. All in all it definetly was the worst of the season but still better than the new Simpsons episodes, I mean did anyone here see this years' Halloween show. It was so G-- D--- stupid it was unbelievable.

I really hate this "no point" argument. If you didn't find it funny then fair enough, but I don't understand this flaw people see in certain episodes having "no point". The point of the show is to make you laugh. Not every episode has to hammer home some political point because when they do that too often, it can reduce the overall humour of the show. I thought 913 was hilarious and easily my favourite of the season.
If you can be bothered...please check out this poll:
http://misterpoll.com/4270026923.html
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:26 pm

leal wrote:There's one thing I don't understand... How did the announcers hear what Kyle said when he was talking to the whale?

Five words: hidden mics around the tank.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
Selphie's Fan Club

Postby Selphie's Fan Club » Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:29 pm

I agree that this is the worst episode of the run...I like this episode just about as much as I liked Toilet Paper...It was...just... bad. The only part I actually laughed at was the last 10 seconds where the whale is lying dead on the moon in silence. It was just so uncomfortable, you just had to laugh.

Very poorly done this week.
Selphie's Fan Club

Postby Selphie's Fan Club » Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:33 pm

boobie_tassels wrote:Oops...? Pardon if it's been pointed out elsewhere, but does Trey say Shamu on the riding on Kelly's nose line?

edit: Si, fly -- twas pointed out in the bloopers thread.

He does say Shamu once. I noticed that immediately and started laughing.
Nack_the_Weasel

Postby Nack_the_Weasel » Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:56 am

That ending was pretty sad...
K_J_M

Postby K_J_M » Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:42 am

Yeah i think i only liked it cause it was south park. I thought the scene where the activists saw the whale strapped to the rocket was funny. I also liked the scene where the activist shoots the one announcer, i thought was hilarious( save the whales mother f*cker). And the awkward ending, i felt bad laughing.
iceiwynd

Postby iceiwynd » Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:47 am

Selphie's Fan Club wrote:The only part I actually laughed at was the last 10 seconds where the whale is lying dead on the moon in silence.

Selphie's Fan Club wrote:He does say Shamu once. I noticed that immediately and started laughing.

Umm... what?
chunkylover69

Postby chunkylover69 » Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:04 am

After watching the recent "free willyzyx" episode of South Park a second time - I wondered what the hell was the point of this episode...

Then it dawned on me, quite tangentially that this could, follow me, be a veiled reference to the Iraq War.

My reason for thinking this, aside from lack of sleep, too much work, and a few beers are the following:

The idea of misleading or misinterpreted Intel. The whole idea of getting willyzyx back to the moon is based on the boys hearing the Sea Park employees talking as the whale and informing them that he needs to get back to the moon. Much of the discourse on the Iraq situation right now hinges upon the WMD conversation and was the US Intel correct or communicated fully.

The reoccurring them of willyzyx's "freedom." The Animal Liberation Front (A.L.F)'s leader speaks of only the boys understanding that the animal needs its freedom. The idea of forcing freedom on a captive whale is great in theory, but what happens upon the actual execution.

Speaking of the A.L.F, they represent a one sided view of the situation. There is also the Sea Park contingent (outside of the two employees that start the situation) that wants the whale back for profit and personal interest. This represents two groups who act in the "best interest" of the whale, when in fact they are simply transposing their own pre-existing concerns and ideals onto the situation. Perhaps a metaphor for the hawk and dove situation in the country right now.

Another theme is the approach of many different nations. Remember leading up to the Iraq war, the US approached various nations to join in the cause. Some were supportive, others were outright negative, and others were non-committal. The idea of money is also intertwined with the boys' approach of each nations. The reason that most of the countries that the US approached supported or refused to support the war was rumored to be financial.

The concept of a cover-up or the architects "covering their tracks." The Sea Park announcers (Mike and the goatee man) are running wild trying to cover their tracks. There have been various theories that now that the WMD issue has not been resolved that their have been various cover ups.

The whale itself could be seen as a metaphor. I am struggling with this one, but the last scene of the dead whale on the moon was what first made me make this parallel. The dead whale represents the troops. Cast into this situation without a real say into the matter; pitted between two different groups with their own interests; thrown into an environment where they are not equipped or ready to inhabit.

The last scene also sort of speaks to the current situation, i.e. we started the war, there's no end in sight, what do we do now?

What the f*ck do you do with a dead whale on the moon?

I am probably way off on this one, but I had too many interesting thoughts on this episode not to try to find meaning behind an otherwise rather pointless, albeit HILARIOUS episode. Matt and Trey are too intelligent not to have a serious message hidden within an episode... I only wonder if I was misguided by their genius.

Other thoughts, arguments, or flames are welcomed... please leave your actual opinion on the war out of the thread, I tried to look at it as objectively as possible...
maxmcfrankin

Postby maxmcfrankin » Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:23 am

No. They made it because it was funny. No deep metaphorical background to it.

Dead whales on the moon = war in Iraq? wtf.
:-)
cheeziegirl

Postby cheeziegirl » Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:14 am

yeah i agree with maxmcfrankin.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:03 am

chunkylover69 wrote:words

Thanks for sharing your thoughs. Iraq was the furthest thing from my mind in this ep though. :)
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”