*914: Bloody Mary*

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

kfgg

Postby kfgg » Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:54 pm

9/10 is my final rating. The overuse of the bleeding statue was a bit too much. But other then that this was a kick ass episode.
Stan and Kyle :)
Killahertz9

Postby Killahertz9 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:07 pm

Coming from someone who knows a lot about A.A. and their 12 step program, this episode was brilliant. From exposing the "Higher Power" in the steps (which most people already know about), to the cult like activities, to Randy having the "Disease". This episode hit home with me. I know many people who have become "A.A. lifers" and only involve themselves with A.A. members. A.A. controls the life of those who are "powerless over alcohol--that their lives had become unmanageable." :roll:

Here's the 12 Steps and as you can tell, God is mentioned many times.

1.) We admitted we were powerless over alcohol--that our lives had become unmanageable.

2.) Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.

3.) Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.

4.) Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.

5.) Admitted to God, to ourselves and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.

6.) Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.

7.) Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings.

8.) Made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all.

9.) Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.

10.) Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it.

11.) Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.

12.) Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to alcoholics, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.
Last edited by Killahertz9 on Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The_Paper_Boy

Postby The_Paper_Boy » Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:11 pm

Bloody Mary, not a funny episode in my opinion. It was smile funny not laugh out loud funny, only a couple of bits were good.

Overall: 7/10
Drew-San

Postby Drew-San » Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:17 pm

I don't know what you all are bitching about but I thought that was one of the funniest episodes I've seen. It was defiantly the best of the season.

Oh yeah, if you say that Matt and Trey are not funny anymore, they still got more money than you do:P
MissingOctober

Postby MissingOctober » Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:18 pm

This episode is hilarious! I'm watching it right now as we speak. It's a lot better than Willzxy, I think. 913 was just.. cute, but got a bit annoying at parts. This one is a whole lot funny! Randy Marsh will always rock!
pitchblank

Postby pitchblank » Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:29 pm

.Stoch wrote:If you wanna sit and laugh at stupid humor for 22 mins go watch Family Guy, go watch Drawn Together or Who's the Boss.

I do. Last night's episode of Drawn Together was everything South Park used to be. The writing was excellent, they had two hilarious storylines going and the laughs-per-minute count was on par with South Park season 4-5. In fact, if it keeps going at this rate, South Park will be reduced to the opening act for Drawn Together.

You see, South Park airs on COMEDY Central. Last time I checked, it wasn't called "Statement Central", "Moral Lesson Central", "Libertarian Soapbox Central" or "Deep Thought Central". I don't mind them bashing organizations, celebrities and religious freaks - it's a staple of the show - but those things should remain secondary to the primary task - being funny.

South Park used to juggle multiple storylines with 2 or 3 things unfolding simultaneously in different locations. Lately there have been a lot of lazily written, snail-paced single-story episodes - Bloody Mary was one of those. This, paired with the fact that what few jokes there were, were recycled.

This was, what, the 10th bleeding-out-the-ass joke? And the whole breaking-news concept is getting older than Kenny dying ever did. After 6,000 instances of "Tom, I'm standing in front of..." it's not funny anymore (and it was way funnier back when they at least tried to spice up the newscasts with stupid correspondents like 'Creamy Goodness' and 'Midget in a bikini').
pitchblank

Postby pitchblank » Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:33 pm

Drew-San wrote:Oh yeah, if you say that Matt and Trey are not funny anymore, they still got more money than you do:P

Michael Jackson, Paul McCartney and Prince still have more money than I do. Does that mean they're still kicking butt down at the record store? Does it mean they're in their prime making great music?
pibrahim

Postby pibrahim » Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:40 pm

pitchblank wrote:I do. Last night's episode of Drawn Together was everything South Park used to be. The writing was excellent, they had two hilarious storylines going and the laughs-per-minute count was on par with South Park season 4-5. In fact, if it keeps going at this rate, South Park will be reduced to the opening act for Drawn Together.

Agree about Drawn Together. I'd never seen it before but I caught the first bit of last night's show - very, very random but that Super Nanny stuff and the Asian kid driving thing were very funny indeed.
djadonis206

Postby djadonis206 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:47 pm

Killahertz9 wrote:Coming from someone who knows a lot about A.A. and their 12 step program, this episode was brilliant. From exposing the "Higher Power" in the steps (which most people already know about), to the cult like activities, to Randy having the "Disease". This episode hit home with me. I know many people who have become "A.A. lifers" and only involve themselves with A.A. members. A.A. controls the life of those who are "powerless over alcohol--that their lives had become unmanageable." :roll:

Here's the 12 Steps and as you can tell, God is mentioned many times.

1.) We admitted we were powerless over alcohol--that our lives had become unmanageable.

2.) Came to believe that a [you]Power greater than ourselves[/you] could restore us to sanity.

3.) Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of [you]God[/you] as we understood Him.

4.) Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.

5.) Admitted to [you]God[/you], to ourselves and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.

6.) Were entirely ready to have [you]God[/you] remove all these defects of character.

7.) Humbly asked [you]Him[/you] to remove our shortcomings.

8.) Made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all.

9.) Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.

10.) Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it.

11.) Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with[you] God[/you] as we understood [you]Him[/you], praying only for knowledge of [you]His[/you] will for us and the power to carry that out.

12.) Having had a [you]spiritual awakening[/you] as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to alcoholics, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.

I don't think to many people in AA will debate you on this - it works for them and that's all that matters to them, they're not drinking or drugging and for some people that means more than anything else

it works for them and that's all that matters

but the episode was hilarious
"...So Long Balls!"
AkewsticRockR

Postby AkewsticRockR » Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:54 pm

pibrahim wrote:1) Why the hell should post count affect anyone's ability to whine? If someone didn't like an episode, I respect their opinion whether it's their first post or their 1000th post.

2) Why, whenever people moan about an episode, do people resort to the basic 'watch something else' argument? How about no? We like South Park as a whole, the fact that we didn't enjoy an episode doesn't mean we're going to stop watching it full stop now. I'd love to see someone deal substantively with the issues that the critics raise, rather than just dismissing them under the 'watch something else' blanket like SP should be immune from any negativity.

Thank you. I liked the rest of the season for the most part, but it still isnt' on par with any of the other seasons in my opinion. It's just not funny. Good grief...how many times do we have to see a statue shoot blood out at someone?! I just felt like this episode was really poorly done and matt and trey were thinking, "We haven't really done anything in a while to really piss catholics off...guess we'd better rectify that situation."

Like I said, I'm not catholic so it didn't offend me in that way. What offends me is how they keep trying to milk the same joke over and over and how the episodes aren't funny anymore. It just seems like they're getting lazy.
Last edited by AkewsticRockR on Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SPF4L#1

Postby SPF4L#1 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:57 pm

...I still don't know what to think about this one. It was more of a "WTF" episode than anything. I wouldn't say I hated it, but then, I wouldn't say I particularly loved anything about it either.
If you can be bothered...please check out this poll:
http://misterpoll.com/4270026923.html
BlindHamster

Postby BlindHamster » Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:58 pm

It was nice, not amazing, just nice.
And the ending was cute.

I R IN UR FUTUER PLYAING UR WII.
Naivok

Postby Naivok » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:04 pm

I have to admit I did laugh way more and harder during drawn together than SP last night. I was ROFL at the part where Cpt. Hero was whining about the chocolate milk and Toot said there was no more but she was hiding it behind her back, so she could have it, then he threw the refigerator out the house and Toot went chasing after it! :lol:

I ALSO have to admit that the time the statue squirted into the popes face was the funniest, I'm not sure why it was just funny how they did the Looney Toons thing, he just kept getting closer, and just knowing what was going to happen made me snicker.
Darth Chef: Hello there children, how would you like to suck on my chocolate salty balls.

SAC Leader: You mean like a chocolate candy?

Darth Chef: No, I mean my balls!!
djadonis206

Re: a strange statement

Postby djadonis206 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:11 pm

bigtd914 wrote:
I truelly believe this episode was a stretch at trying to poke fun at something that most people believe does good in the world. Alcoholism is something that exists and saying "just don't drink" kinda doesn't work.

good point - and seriously, there are other ways of getting sober, AA isn't the be all end all to helping people recover from Alcoholism or drug addiction.

Seriously, if you think you can quit on your own, then do it.

And if you're introuble with the law, you do have the option of going ot jail for a night, paying a fine and doing you community service - no one forces you to go to AA meetings and treatment centers...it's a deal the offender makes to stay out of jail

Drinking and driving kills hundreds of people a years, it's a crime

Going to AA or a treatment center is the easy way out - no one forces people into AA, they're just to scared and jaded to doa night in jail for a crime they commited

AA unlike any other cult or religion does not advertise - you have to find it for yourself, they don't send AA people out on the street recruiting people to join, or run infomercials at night - the only reason the courts offer AA meetings as a alternative to going ot jail, than say "Meditative therapy" is because AA has the highest success rate than any other form of recovery -

The show was funny though
"...So Long Balls!"
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:12 pm

ibismojo wrote:i guess you all missed the alien reflection in the window when stan's dad is about to take off for the church. tsk tsk.

Pssst, look here.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”