*914: Bloody Mary*

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

ncro

Postby ncro » Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:34 pm

I'm going to watch the episode tonight 'cause yesterday missed , i was in a concert of U2 and was awesomely great !

Paul Hewson"Bono" 'voice is amazing and no matter how ol' the band gets thru the years (and what ppl say about) , U2 it's still one of my Favourites rock bands.

:lol: Sorry , but couldn't help say that of above . I'm so happyyyyy. :D :D :D
"No one ever knows what's next , But they always do it"-George Carlin
Igiveup

Postby Igiveup » Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:41 pm

I kinda like Pope Ratzinger,
"If you don't like it, (The whole Catholic doctrine), then don't let the door hit your butt on the way out." Not a good way to run a cult, but, he's new.

I was just wondering how many angry e-mails from AA people used the "denial" card?
I was at a ballgame, and had one beer, but I was with a friend and his controlling girlfriend, and she had him in AA.
Throughout the entire game she was pestering me that I was in denial, because I could drink a beer at a ballgame, (in front of her alchohilic boyfriend, at that) and if baseball was really that great, I wouldn't need that one beer. So I was in 'denial'.
(Btw- you have a better chance of catching an in-the-stands ball with a beercup, then with your bare hands)

I ended up moving to better seats.

He ended up dumping her shortly after that.
KennyStanWendyFan

Postby KennyStanWendyFan » Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:53 pm

Kudos on the awesome ending, Matt and Trey. That alone earns a 10/10.

The rest was funny at parts and dull at others. I'll give the overall episode a 7/10. Not too shabby.

I especially loved when Pope Benedict XVI was moving in for a closeup of the statue and you could hear Looney Tunes-esque music until he got sprayed with blood. :lol: His quote was funny too. "The Virgin Mary bleeding out her vagina is no miracle. Chicks bleed out their vaginas all the time."
Tweeks_Coffee

Postby Tweeks_Coffee » Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:15 pm

Hmm, a lot of harsh criticism for this episode, quite a bit of it because it was directed at Catholics.

This was a decent episode, not hilarious, but certainly no crushing disappointment. I would've liked a funnier episode for the season finale, but I'll take it. I didn't think the bleeding statue was too funny, but it didn't get nearly as overused as the closet joke.
KennyStanWendyFan

Postby KennyStanWendyFan » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:02 pm

Yeah, the closet joke was really run into the ground. The statue spewing blood was maybe overused a little, but at least they added that Looney Tunes-esque music to when the pope looked at the statue. That was amusing. :D
iceiwynd

Postby iceiwynd » Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:14 am

Basically, it's funny - until your toes get stepped on.

The Looney Toons-esque music for the pope was awesome. Probably the best moment involving the statue, as well as the cardinal announcing, "IT'S A MIRACLE!" after getting sprayed in the face.
pcord1

Postby pcord1 » Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:31 am

Big-Will wrote:Second commandment in Protestant Bibles, part b of the first in Catholic Bibles.

The Catholic Church finds no reason to forbid the use of statues in a church or on church property, as God allowed the use of graven images from time to time - see the bronze snake Moses made - but it warns the faithful against substituting the creation for God in worship. It also sees no reason to forbid prayer to the saints, as they are just fellow believers who came before us, and since Jesus conquered death, there's no real distance between us and the saints - we remain part of the same body of Jesus.

The Second Commandment is usually deleted in Catholicism. The second commandment for Protestants goes something like:
You shall not make any graven images, and you shall not bow down to them or serve them.

For Catholics, the Second Commandment is the one about not taking the Lord's name in vain. This is actually the Third commandment for Protestants. Since Catholics omit the one about graven images, they have to split the last commandment into two parts to get ten. For Protestants, the last commandment is not to covet, but Catholics divide it into two by saying (9) do not covet your neighbor's wife and (10) do not covet your neighbor's goods.

With the bronze snake Moses made, people then started to venerate it, and so Moses had it destroyed.
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:02 am

It struck me as odd that Whistlin' Willy's has a bar. Isn't it supposed to be like a 'Chuck E. Cheese' or something? I've seen plenty of pizza joints that sell beer, but a full bar with hard liquor? Seems out of place.

I'll still call this one mediocre. Menstral humor just isn't my bag. But I still loved Randy's sobriety test and the way Randy made Stan cut in line and then everyone blames Stan; that was pretty good. "My daughter has elephantisis." Heh.

The Pope; I'm still not completely sure how to interpret his role. It was kind of funny to have him get it in the face. Nothing like a little sacralige. But on the other other hand, it was the Pope's discovery that allowed Randy to realize how to moderate his drinking, so some good came from it.

I interpret the sound effects with the Pope and the statue as M&T knowing damn well they were overdoing that gag. But they've done plenty of those 'make-fun-of-running-gags running gags' this season.

You read it! You can't unread it!
dmeade

Bloody Mary

Postby dmeade » Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:35 am

I was actually very disappointed by the recent episode "Bloody Mary". I've been a longtime South Park fan but felt that the episode really missed the point of AA and was very irresponsible for conveying a message that is so misguided. I fully acknowledge that it is just a cartoon and Trey & Matt are free to express their opinions, but I feel that with an audience of millions they are irresponsibly conveying a potentially dangerous message. I've been in AA for over 8 years and have attended meetings in multiple states. I am not hardcore and in fact don't fully buy all of its tenets. However, I think this episode perpetuated several dangerous misconceptions.

First, it is true that AA considers alcoholism a disease, as does the American Medical Association and the World Health Organization(which technically classifies it as a "dependence"). Whether or not it is a disease like cancer is missing the point. The fact of the matter is that longterm alcoholic drinking results in liver disease, brain impairment and death. In general, by the time people end up in AA they usually have tried things like willpower and controlled drinking and still have wound up divorced, bankrupt or severely ill. This is what happened to the founders, who had tried everything else and failed.

Second, AA does not believe that everybody who has problems caused by their drinking is an alcoholic. It makes an explicit distinction between alcoholics, heavy drinkers and casual drinkers. If someone is able to stop drinking on their own then, according to AA, they are by definition not an alcoholic. Criticizing AA for believing this is like criticizing Christians for believing in Christ. People are free to leave and try drinking on their own, which AA actually advocates for those who are unsure. You are free to disagree with its fundamental tenets but they are what they are.

As far as being a cult is concerned, Trey & Matt are obviously drawing a parallel to things like Scientology, Kaballah or Mormonism. However, they are overlooking the fact that AA has no centralized power structure and no leader. It has a service office that organizes meetings and prints literature as opposed to these other organizations that have things like celebrity centers(Kaballah & Scientology) or demand significant portions of their followers incomes (Mormonism). AA only asks its members to donate $1 or $2 at meetings to cover expenses and take voluntary service commitments as a tool of recovery.

Finally, AA is not a religion. It is a spiritual program and makes no apologies for being so. However, it does explicitly say "God AS YOU UNDERSTAND HIM" in the 12 Steps. People are free to believe whatever they'd like as far as God is concerned, but a belief in a Higher Power is considered integral to the program. That said, there are agnostic and atheist meetings for those who are unsure, nobody is required to believe anything.

Now, AA has its zealots as does any organization. I have personally come across several AA cults and have avoided them. I think they're dangerous but calling AA a cult because of a couple fanatics is like indicting Islam because of Al Qaeda or Catholicism because of Opus Dei. AA is one of the few effective treatments for alcoholism and this type of misconception could cause people who need help to avoid it.
Dan
airmancoop44

Postby airmancoop44 » Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:58 am

triplemultiplex wrote:It struck me as odd that Whistlin' Willy's has a bar. Isn't it supposed to be like a 'Chuck E. Cheese' or something? I've seen plenty of pizza joints that sell beer, but a full bar with hard liquor? Seems out of place.

The parents need something to do to have fun, eh? :lol:
Wasuki

Postby Wasuki » Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:50 am

Meh, I thought the episode was mediocre. It could've been funnier. There were amusing moments (Randy's sobriety test, the cutting in line,ect) but the whole episode seemed to fall flat.
RIP Eddie Guerrero 1967-2005
kacy__sp

Postby kacy__sp » Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:21 am

Good episode! Randy was awesome in it, as was Stan! Wish the other boys had had a bigger role though (epecially Kenny!! where the hell was he?!) but the interaction between Stan and his dad made up for it. Loved the reference to 912 too. And there were heaps of little jokes sprinkled in which made me laugh (elephantitus! lmfao)
All in all a solid ep, with a very sweet ending to boot :D

9/10!
ImageImageImage
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:41 am

pcord1 wrote:For Protestants, the last commandment is not to covet, but Catholics divide it into two by saying (9) do not covet your neighbor's wife and (10) do not covet your neighbor's goods.

...which correspond directly with the commandments not to commit adultery and not to steal. :)
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
/artemio/

Postby /artemio/ » Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:02 am

Episode is TRASH
1\10

I can explain why i think so. I'm fan of South Park not for a long time, but i've been watchin it for 2 years. I watched all seasons of South Park excludin seasons 3 and 4. Now i can surely say that this episode was THE f*ckin WORST!

I can't see any South Park in "Bloody Mary". This is just dumb talkin their (Matt and Trey) message for viewers thru the Stan. This is same for me with Stan advertitsing Coca Cola. I can't see any adventures of FOUR BOYS in this episode. FOUR BOYS+MESSAGE= our love to South Park. Here i can see only message. f*ck it. Wack sh*t.
"-Kyle, will you shut your f*ckin daywalker mouth!" (c) Cartman

Postby iceiwynd » Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:01 pm

Wow. According to Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloody_Mar ... th_Park%29

This episode was aired on December 7, which is the eve of the Feast of the Immaculate Conception. The Catholic League for Religious and Civil Rights condemned this episode for its treatment of the Virgin Mary. They demanded an apology to Roman Catholics and that the episode "be permanently retired and not be made available on DVD." In particular they also demanded that Joseph A. Califano, Jr., a member of Viacom's board of directors and a practicing Catholic, issue his own statement of condemnation.

Did anybody else know about this? That's really pathetic.

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”